Problems with Panasonic 7UY Series - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #451 of 469 Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talked to a pan tech and he didn't know what the 7 red flashes with a 3 second hold on the 7th meant but said I had an internal problem and the unit would have to be returned, DUH!! you think so?

Anyway VA said no problem to swap out then later told me oh by the way Panasonic has discontinued the 42 7uy model and the new model th-42pwd8uk was due to be release by the end of this month.

Question: Should I wait or bite the bullet and upgrade to the 50phd7uy. I had intended to get the larger hd model down the road and use the 42 for the bedroom. I thought a year or 2 and there might be more hd programming on the dish network to justify the investment in an hd system. Also I had heard that the hd's don't do nearly as good a job as the ed with the sd programs and currently the majority of my watching will probably be sd stuff.

Any input on the above before I blow an extry $2,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 469 Old 07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd wait a bit and get the 8UY , but there may be problems (new models etc...) I wouldn't jump on the HD wagon just yet. I waiting for about 1-2 years, giving the HD feeds time to mutiply and mature in quality.
post #453 of 469 Old 07-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholerabob
I'd wait a bit and get the 8UY , but there may be problems (new models etc...) I wouldn't jump on the HD wagon just yet. I waiting for about 1-2 years, giving the HD feeds time to mutiply and mature in quality.
Same here. As much as I want a 50" HD screen, I'm going to stick with the 42" 8UK model for now in the hopes that I can hang it on the wall in my bedroom a few years from now when I upgrade...

Even my wife loves HD.
post #454 of 469 Old 07-15-2005, 08:55 AM

Hey all -- thanks for all the info and problem solving. I have been looking at the TH-42PHD7UY for a while and have pretty much decided on getting it. A few questions, though, for a newbie. If there is anywhere else this is already posted, please let me know.

1. I'm looking to hook up external speakers, a cable box, DVD player, and a gaming system. Are there any other inputs I will need? I'm not sure I completely understand the whole 'blade' process.

2. What specifically should I look for to make sure the previous problems don't show up?

3. C-Net says that since the resolution is only 1086, it doesn't get to the 'true HDTV' signal level. Anyone have thoughts on this? Will any other 42" sets make it to the true HDTV res level?

4. Seeing as how the 8UY screens are coming out this fall, would it be best to wait? The 7UY's were priced lower than the 6UY's -- any word on if the prices are going to continue their fall?

Thanks for any help -- It's highly appreciated.
post #455 of 469 Old 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris409
Hey all -- thanks for all the info and problem solving. I have been looking at the TH-42PHD7UY for a while and have pretty much decided on getting it. A few questions, though, for a newbie. If there is anywhere else this is already posted, please let me know.

1. I'm looking to hook up external speakers, a cable box, DVD player, and a gaming system. Are there any other inputs I will need? I'm not sure I completely understand the whole 'blade' process.
It depends upon what outputs you'll have on those things. You'll get a component, composite or s-video (you can only use one or the other) and VGA to start with and an empty slot.
Quote:
2. What specifically should I look for to make sure the previous problems don't show up?
The s-video problem will almost certainly be gone. The changing brightness is pretty much unavoidable on the 42, unfortunately.
Quote:
3. C-Net says that since the resolution is only 1086, it doesn't get to the 'true HDTV' signal level. Anyone have thoughts on this? Will any other 42" sets make it to the true HDTV res level?
They are incorrect. Any TV with 720 vertical resolution or greater is considered HD. Personally I think the hype for true 1920x1080 is overblown, because at normal viewing distances it will be invisible for most. (Witness the inability for many to tell the difference between HD and ED.)

Quote:
4. Seeing as how the 8UY screens are coming out this fall, would it be best to wait? The 7UY's were priced lower than the 6UY's -- any word on if the prices are going to continue their fall?
Undoubtedly the price will continue to fall. There is a chance that the 8UY will fix the changing brightness issue and apparently the 8 series has at least a little improvement in picture quality, so if it were me I'd consider waiting (more for the former than the latter).

Steve
post #456 of 469 Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 AM

Thanks Steve --

I hate this waiting game-- Should I jump now or wait? Seems like I go back and forth every day. My new home came with a TV hole above the fireplace-- that is 0.3" wider than this set -- almost seems a sign from above... Any recs on where to buy from if we decide to jump? I've seen it for about 2500 delivered from Butterfly Photo.
post #457 of 469 Old 07-15-2005, 01:14 PM
spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris409
Thanks Steve --

I hate this waiting game-- Should I jump now or wait? Seems like I go back and forth every day. My new home came with a TV hole above the fireplace-- that is 0.3" wider than this set -- almost seems a sign from above...
While the deity doesn't need a plasma to create great pictures I'm sure he wants you to have one ;).
Quote:
Any recs on where to buy from if we decide to jump? I've seen it for about 2500 delivered from Butterfly Photo.
I bought from VA (forum sponsor you know) and was happy with them. I got the 42 to start with but the changing brightness bugged me so I swapped it for a 50. They were good to work with on that problem.

Steve
post #458 of 469 Old 07-16-2005, 01:42 PM

Wait! Don't buy a flawed display. It's not worth it IMO to get something as expensive as a PDP and have its brightness levels fluctuate from just turning the menu screen on and off. I was one of the first to get one of these sets and I personally, could not stand it and could not enjoy my purchase, and had to trade it for a 50" which was well worth it. It didn't have the problems the 42" had and the increase in size was definitly one that was welcomed and improved the viewing experience.
If I were you I'd get the 50" or wait to see how the 42"HD 8 series turns out. If you wait for the 8 series just don't be the first to order and wait to see some reviews in this forum so that you don't have to go through the situation that I and many others had to go through.
post #459 of 469 Old 07-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, rlshky. We are still trying to figure out which way to go, and will definitely at least be keeping our eyes on things. If you think the issues really are something that detract from it's overall performance, that is something I'll have to take into consideration for sure. Just wish we all had more info on the HD 8UK models...
post #460 of 469 Old 07-16-2005, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlshky
Wait! Don't buy a flawed display. It's not worth it IMO to get something as expensive as a PDP and have its brightness levels fluctuate from just turning the menu screen on and off. I was one of the first to get one of these sets and I personally, could not stand it and could not enjoy my purchase, and had to trade it for a 50" which was well worth it. It didn't have the problems the 42" had and the increase in size was definitly one that was welcomed and improved the viewing experience.
If I were you I'd get the 50" or wait to see how the 42"HD 8 series turns out. If you wait for the 8 series just don't be the first to order and wait to see some reviews in this forum so that you don't have to go through the situation that I and many others had to go through.
Well its not just a 42 inch thing. I purchased a 50 inch Onyx and it has the brightness fluctuation when I put any onscreen displays. Also brightness changes in movies and any source that I have including scenes in HD. I'm working with a Panasonic service center at the moment and I've proved to them the problem. The Onyx was very expensive and I can't return it or ask for money back.

These are just my opinions.
post #461 of 469 Old 07-16-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with your 50" Onyx, but this thread is just about the commercial 7UY line, so I was just stating that the TH-50PHD7UY has not shown me or many others who have made the exchange the same problems
post #462 of 469 Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 PM

Is anyone else besides me still waiting for an s-video blade replacement for their TH-42PWD7UY? Does anyone know the deal? I sent my info to Techniwizard in April and still have not received a replacement blade and no iformation about when I will receive it. BTW, if anyone has received the replacement, how well does it work? Thanks
post #463 of 469 Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak
Is anyone else besides me still waiting for an s-video blade replacement for their TH-42PWD7UY? Does anyone know the deal? I sent my info to Techniwizard in April and still have not received a replacement blade and no iformation about when I will receive it. BTW, if anyone has received the replacement, how well does it work? Thanks

Apologies to Kayak and the others waiting on this item.

The Wiz has been on the road with actual "work" for a few weeks.

There have been many more requests for this swap than anticipated so a lot of the waiting is on board return recycling.

It is expected that these can be completed and sent out before September.

No need to clog the in box here, (please?) all requests are still being shipped in the order they were received.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #464 of 469 Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 AM
spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak
BTW, if anyone has received the replacement, how well does it work? Thanks
The replacement works well. It resolves the issue.

Steve
post #465 of 469 Old 08-11-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spa
The replacement works well. It resolves the issue.
I wouldn't say it resolves the issue but it sure helps a TON. Before watching anything with a dark background was painfull... not it's no where near as bad (almost all gone, but not quite).
post #466 of 469 Old 09-07-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard

There have been many more requests for this swap than anticipated so a lot of the waiting is on board return recycling.

No need to clog the in box here, (please?) all requests are still being shipped in the order they were received.

TW
I had a request in for a 4UY and 7UY S-Video board. Any update on this?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #467 of 469 Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 PM

purchased panasonic model TH42PD25UP one year ago, worked fine for the first few months then problems with dead pixels and bright pixels started. the situation get worse the longer the set is on. after 6 service calls, 3 pc boards replaced along with the plasma screen the problem is worse than ever. have been asking panasonic to replace the unit as it is a lemon but they keep giving me a run around. this has been going on for six months, the latest is that they have a new service provider in san diego and they now want this new provider to look at the set, this was done two weeks ago and the new provider said it was the worst problem he has seen and that panasonic should replace the set. as of 11/04/05 panasonic will not respond.
panasonic service is the worst i have ever encountered, i still think they make a good product but just hope you never need service.
post #468 of 469 Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard

TW
Sent you an email in April, no response and no S-video board :(
post #469 of 469 Old 11-05-2005, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalZ
Sent you an email in April, no response and no S-video board :(
A million apologies in advance. This was turned over to service/logistics some time ago and it looks like some slipped through the cracks.

If you wouldn't mind forwarding the e-mail request again in a PM, I'll get it to the administrator in your region.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page