42" EDT's: Panasonic vs. NEC vs. LG - Advice? Comment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been a very avid reader of this forum for the past 2 weeks and want to thank the thousands of you who contribute. This type of communal knowledge sharing is the internet at its best.

I have been on the hunt for a widescreen to replace my 32" CRT for about the last 3 months and have diligently pursued the many competing technologies out there. I have come to the conclusion that plasma displays provide the greatest fidelity and "window on the world" at this time. I have narrowed my search down to the 42" EDT format and have spent hundreds of hours in a wide variety of stores and on the internet educating my eyes and brain.

By way of background, key information which I am using to support my decision includes:

- Room in which the display will be used is quite bright and includes a skylight;
- Viewing distance is 8.5 to 9 ft. from eyeball to screen;
- Primary content viewed is DVD (90%) with the remainder sports on SD cable. Should the NHL decide to resume play this may become 80% DVD vs. 20% SD/HD sports.
- Audio is run through a dedicated 5.1 system (Paradigm Reference, Denon)
- Video tuner for cable will be via a Canon professional VHS deck (oldie but goodie)

I have an existing CRT which I use for watching news programs etc. on cable so what I am looking for is a 42" plasma monitor as the display for a dedicated home theatre.

After reading many of the posts on this forum as well as other sources online, and after comparing the Panasonic, LG and JVC plasmas at length in stores, I have a suspicion that the NEC VR5 or VM5 - which of course I have NOT seen as its absolutely unavailable in Vancouver where I live - is the best choice.

I have a/b'ed the Panasonic, JVC and LG against one another and have also come to a conclusion that I don't believe has been emphasized on this forum - while contrast ratio and black levels are important, the grey scale number of steps or gradations a unit can process and the total number of colours it can display is also a vitally important part of the equation - maybe more important.

I've stumbled across that idea based on my sessions with the 3 units above. I have painstaking adjusted the JVC and the LG to match the Panasonic (which seems to be an accepted reference for contrast and blacks) but was never successful in making either of them emulate its striking clarity and 3 dimensionality, despite working with each display for at least 2 hours. They were all showing an identical distributed program feed.

On digging into the specs I was struck by the following - the Panasonic provides 2,058 steps and 3.6 billion colours with a 4000:1 CR. The LG provides only 16.77 million colours and therefore must have many fewer steps, yet its CR is 5000:1. The JVC must be the same as the Panasonic as it uses the same glass - although I don't know enough to know whether what I'm talking about is a function of the electronic processors or the glass. I suspect its a function of the electronics (processor). BTW, I know the published manufacturer derived CR specs are questionable. But it seemed to my eyes that the LG actually did show a slightly greater CR than the Panny. The striking thing was that the LG was simply no match for the Panasonic in terms of its picture quality.

Since the NEC VR5 doubles the Panasonic 7UY with 4,096 steps and the capabilty to produce 68 billion colours, as opposed to 3.6 billion, it seems to me that when properly set up it must be capable of capturing a stunning approximation of reality. Benefits should include much reduced false contouring as well as enhanced dimensionality due to the significantly greater ability to present extremely subtle shadings and colours. This is akin to the difference I observed between the LG at 16.77 million and the Panasonic.

Since its impossible for me to actually view the NEC prior to purchase I thought I'd ask forum readers with experience with the VR/VM/VP 5, or any others who wish to weigh in, for comments. Don't get me wrong - I think the Panasonic 7UY is absolutely amazing and its a solid second choice at this point for me. But I think the NEC suits my needs more due to -

- Fairly bright room in which I will view (at least during the day)
- Steps/colours as above
- No S-video issues
- DVI included, as well as greater connectivity
- 3 year warranty on electronics (same as Panny on plasma glass)

The cost for the Panny and NEC units is identical here in Canada - the JVC (inc. tuner and speakers) is a few hundred more loonies - as opposed to Benjamins - and the LG (inc. tuner and speakers) a few hundred less. Bizarrely, I could get the HD 42" LG Hurricane series plasma for only a few hundred more loonies too. But it too can only produce 16.77 million colours and based on my a/b'ing with the LG EDTV as well as my viewing habits I don't think it would be a good choice.

Apologies for the length of this post - I've been as brief as I can. I'd love to hear about the longer term experiences of NEC owners of 5 series ED versions regarding picture quality, or any other information from those of you who have already travelled this arduous road (I know - no pain, no gain!).

And once again, thanks for what you have taught me so far. I ain't no Jedi Knight videophile yet - but I ain't no rube about to be taken to the cleaners by some slick willy salesperson neither! Cheers,

Johnnycanuck

PS. The best display I have seen consistently has been the Panny 37 consumer version, which offers an absolutely amazing picture. Sitting beside a Sharp 37" LCD it showed every bit as much clarity of resolution but much greater depth/dimensionality and realism. But its just a tad too small for my likes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 06:26 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the 42" ED NEC VP5 and find it to be a fine set and am very pleased with it (I bought this set for it's high altitude capabilities at another home). I also have a 42"ED Fujitsu and while I certainly enjoy the NEC, to me the Fujitsu overall is better, particularly when displaying SD. The Fujitsu is a little more expensive but it might be worth taking a look.
post #3 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 06:53 AM

You probably can't go wrond with either the Panasonic or the NEC. I have the latter (42VM5), but seriously considered the Panny. All I can say is if you liked the PQ of the Panny you will certainly enjoy the NEC. For an ED plasma I can't imagine how the PQ can get any better. Good Luck.

John
post #4 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 07:05 AM

johnnycanuck,

You may want to visit this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=476657

Some good NEC info in the thread and, about 2/3's of the way down "BodegaBay" has an *excellent* and first-hand comparison of the 7UY and the XR5. It is very lengthy and very informative but well worth your time and just might help you in your decision.

My bias ;): I have a VR5 and cannot believe the stellar SD quality of my 'lil ol NEC.

Jack
post #5 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

johnny, I'm in Kelowna and have been thinking about the PWD (though the NEC is intriguing). I've been looking for reputable online vendors. There's a company in Richmond, evisionplasma.ca, that's getting great reviews. They're grey-market (i.e. US sets, no Cdn warranty), but very good prices.

My point's this: several Vancouver people have reported going to their home / warehouse and viewing or picking up their sets, and they carry both the Panny and NEC on their site. So they just might be able to show you both...?

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #6 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your comments so far.

Mishu, I'll check out the thread. I followed your comments re: the VR5 on this forum and found them helpful.

Perryu, I have been to evisions twice and found Edward and Yuriy extremely helpful. The first time we spent about 1.5 hours on the Panasonic 42" wd7UY. The second time we compared the HD LG 42" Hurricane 42px12x against the Panasonic HD 7UY. The Panny was a 50" but the comparison was interesting. Even though it was set at the same distance (about 10') as the LG and therefore you'd expect more SDE and a poorer perceived picture, it was actually better on DVD. The LG looked etched and lacked the 3-D effect I referred to earlier.

Another potential customer came over and brought a brand new (literally in an unsealed box) Samsung HD831 DVD player as he also wanted to make the comparison. We were unable to get the 831 to output on component or DVI to the 2 plasmas (must have been doing something wrong) so we had to send signals via the s-video to the LG and composite to the Panny. When we fired it all up the LG looked considerably better than previously on the upconverted signal - even Edward and Yuriy were surprised. It was significantly smoother, less etched, with richer colours etc, and had come much closer to the Panny. It would have been really useful to compare using the component and DVI connections but that was not possible.

At the time I was considering the 42" HD LG as through evision its the same cost as the ED VR5 and 7UY once you add in the cost of the stand for the NEC and the DVI blade and stand for the Panasonic. That makes it an apples to apples comparison almost - except that the LG is HD and also has speakers and a tuner onboard. However, for DVD its picture quality was not as natural or "believable" (an ellusive quality) as the Panasonic. And since this hobby is all about image ...

I had it in mind that since the LG has 5000:1 (quoted spec) CR, has the same 60,000 hour longevity and is HD for the same cost that it would be a better purchase, especially considering future-proofing. But on the basis of that test I was unconvinced - I think because of its inability to handle as many gradations and colours as I mentioned in my original post. BTW, I'd be happy for an LG owner to suggest otherwise and prove me wrong.

The difficulty about this journey, as most of you know, is that reading voraciously to build a background of knowledge/understanding and spending significant time in stores under their poor show conditions (lighting, feed split/distributed to 100 TV's, lousy set-up) comparing as best as possible the various sets, cannot hold a candle to actual use in home conditions. So can any of you who have NEC VR or VM 5's or the LG 42" HD set relay info about PQ, things you have had to do to the settings or other user experience?

Another reason I'm drawn to the VR5 is that according to most it has a less intrusive picture stretch function than the Panasonic and it has the ability to adjust colours without affecting the white balance. Conceptually that makes a lot of sense, but I'm interested in any insights anyone can provide me about how effective that is in practise. The NEC (via evision) is also a Canadian product (not grey market like their Panny's and LG's) and therefore its warranty is good here. Panasonic - this forum is filled with the comments of satisfied owners :-) and I'm not sure how much more can be said.

I've added my experiences here as they may prove interesting/useful to someone in Canada going through the same search process (and maybe the US). Plasmas here are significantly more expensive than in the US (1.5 to 2 times the cost even though the dollar difference is only 1.2 at this time) so its a considerably larger and more agonizing purchase here than below the 49th parallel. We also don't have the same e-tail environment, although I'd encourage any Canadian to check out evision as they have been extremely accommodating and helpful, not to mention patient, and have unbelievable prices compared to the big box retailers.

Thanks again for your comments and insights.

johnnycanuck
post #7 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Mishu2000,
just a note - that other thread compares the HD versions. Although that's a great indicator, I have read in other threads as well as on some review sites that the latest generation of NEC ED versions did not get the same upgrades to its HD brother. Again, just something I read, so I'm hoping someone can clarify. Specifically:

Do the "5" version NEC EDs have the same upgraded features as the HD (42XM/R3, 50XM/R4, etc)? Specifically, the 60,000 1/2 life, the improved black levels, better burn-in protection, etc. These are items that the 7UY ED version HAS confirmed has improved from the 6UY.

Thanks all!
post #8 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 10:58 AM

phatboykim

Yes - my VR5 version NEC "touts" a 60,000 hour 1/2 life, and improved black levels and burn-in protection.

As a side note, it would seem only natural that NEC would make identical improvements in both HD and ED glass to maintain manufacturing efficiencies--I think but I dunno

Jack

Jack
post #9 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
johnycanuck enough already, you've got to make a decision! You already spend hundreds hours on evaluating these sets, that is enough. Nothing is perfect, and in 5 years whatever set you choose will probably be in your moved to your bathroom))) Research is great and everything and we all did it. But at one point you should just DO IT as Nike would put it.
Just kidding of course :)))))

NEC LG and PANASONIC are great. LG has high contrast ratio, 2 years warranty, and is very ambitious (I read LG wants by 2006 to control over 30 percent of all plasma market in the world). Panasonic has religious following on this forum. NEC is probably one of the oldest plasma manufacturers. I went with Zenith (by LG) because I liked the Faroudja chip, the contrast, and I liked the picture. And it was cheaper.

Never Say Never
post #10 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnycanuck
... The NEC (via evision) is also a Canadian product (not grey market like their Panny's and LG's) and therefore its warranty is good here. ...
Whoa... now that's good to know. Warranty's one of the main reasons I've held off on the Panny. Now I'm really interested in the NEC... I'll have to dig around and see if I can view one somewhere in Kelowna, but I'm not too hopeful. May need a trip to the coast, which could mean waiting til Spring when the passes are reliable.
Quote:
... I've added my experiences here as they may prove interesting/useful to someone in Canada going through the same search process ...
Absolutely! I, for one, am a real sponge for this kind of personal experience. I'm handicapped by being in a small town, with less opportunity to see sets in person (I've never seen an industrial Panny, e.g.), so I really appreciate anecdotal reviews.

Thanks johnny; keep 'em coming! If I should make a move before you, I'll post too, here or at DHC (idearat there).

Cheers... Perry.

post #11 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

You can also extend the warranty on the NEC to 7 years Part/Labour and 5 Years Panel through avdeals for only $300 cdn and you don't even have to purchase the TV from them. The Warranty from avdeals cannot be applied to grey market TV's (ie. US Manufacturers Warranty)
post #12 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Absolutic you are right and you had me lol. The time I have spent has been a huge learning experience that has taken me from 34" CRT w/s to DLP/LCD/LCOS rear proj. and now to the 42" panny/NEC. The decision is likely harder here in Canada as costs are so much higher. With the recent price drops in plasmas a consumer Panasonic ED 42" series 20UP (same as the 25UP stateside) still runs for around $4500 at a B&M. Add in 14% taxes and you get to $5130. So its a far bigger gamble when ya rolls the dice on a display/technology. But I do agree totally with you all the same. And just for you, I'll be making a decision next week :-)

Hoodlum, are you sure? AV Deals in Ontario also sells the NEC but I'm leery to have the unit shipped if I can get it locally. Do you have any experience with purchasing the extended warranty from them for a product not from their store?

PerryU re: making a trip to the coast to see the NEC - don't bother. I have been unable to find anyone here in Vancouver who has one even on static display to look at.

Anyone out there have any other experiences re: picture quality etc. to share?

Appreciated.

Johnnycanuck
post #13 of 65 Old 12-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

"I have been unable to find anyone here in Vancouver who has one even on static display to look at."

D'oh!! jc, if you buy one, you'll have to sell tickets. Seems the only way we'll ever see this beast.

post #14 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 AM

i bought mine site unseen and have had the NEC vp4 here for about a year - definitely cant go wrong with the picture quality (incredible) , versatility (all the inputs including DVI), warranty, the "anti-glare" glass and the easy /useful remote ( at least i really like it).

also - i believe the vp5 solved the HDCP compatibility issue that so many have worried about?

you will be very happy with the NEC if you decide on it.

ÂAmerica will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.Â

-Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnycanuck
Thanks everyone.

Hoodlum, are you sure? AV Deals in Ontario also sells the NEC but I'm leery to have the unit shipped if I can get it locally. Do you have any experience with purchasing the extended warranty from them for a product not from their store?

Johnnycanuck
I have not dealt with avdeals but they are selling the Repairmaster warranty from Warrantech. I believe Visions is also using the Warrantech warranty. The Repairmaster warranty needs to be purchased and Registered within 10 days of purchasing the TV. Search for Repairmaster in avsforum to get feedback on their service.

Have you gone to Audio Video Unlimited to look at the NEC. I noticed that they are now advertizing the 42VM5 on the front page of their flyer. They have many locations out west including 1431 West Broadway, Vancouver.
post #16 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoodlum
I have not dealt with avdeals but they are selling the Repairmaster warranty from Warrantech. I believe Visions is also using the Warrantech warranty. The Repairmaster warranty needs to be purchased and Registered within 10 days of purchasing the TV. Search for Repairmaster in avsforum to get feedback on their service.

Hmm: not sure why but when I called Warrantech, they told me that as long as you have at least 30 days left on the factory warranty, you can still purchase a Repairmaster warranty.

Kim Viner
post #17 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdviner70
Hmm: not sure why but when I called Warrantech, they told me that as long as you have at least 30 days left on the factory warranty, you can still purchase a Repairmaster warranty.
The Canadian and US. warranties may have different policies.
post #18 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 PM

Anyone out there have any other experiences re: picture quality etc. to share?

johnnycanuck

See my PM for possible viewing of a 42VM4
post #19 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 PM

i am in the same boat as most other people:

i was 99% going to go with the Panny th42pwd7uy and am now leaning towards the NEC (PX-42VM5A) for the following reasons:

1) s-video panny probs
2) i have a HTPC (DVI/VGA), HD Cable (Component), and XBOX (Component) input requirements. i would have to buy another blade for the Panny
3) i heard horror stories of getting 1x1 pixel mapping on the DVI blade for the 7uy.

reasons why still thinking Panny:
1) everyone says great PQ

in the end, i think the panny from VA w/ table stand plus extra DVI blade VS NEC from plasmaconcepts with table stand would be around the same price shipped (twenty-five-hundred)

please let me know if anyone has any comments: looking fwd to "taking the plunge" asap!

thanks!
post #20 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 PM

luzer,
adding to your list:

for Panny:
2) better blacks
3) swappable inputs

Actually to me, the swappable input is pretty big. I'd like to keep every connection digital, but with only 1 DVI input on the NEC, it forces me to either compromise one to component or use a DVI switch (anyone have good experiences with these)? For me, that is the ONLY drawback of the NEC as from what I am reading, the blacks are pretty good.

I won't be using s-vid, so is the panny just a better choice for me? (unfortunately, I'm drawn to the "punch" ppl keep posting as being better than the 7uy and the fact that I won't have controlled lighting makes the vm5 a better fit based on BodegaBay's post in the xr4 thread). I would LOVE to get the NEC but the single DVI input is killing me -- any other alternatives I can take?

thanks!!
post #21 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had zero problems with my Panny EDTV. I have imagined out of thousands sold, very few problems. You always hear about problems, you know. People that are happy never say much. What can they say? I tried by S-Video and it looked almost as good as component. If possible, component is the better one to use.
post #22 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks to all the posters for their comments. I've been wanting a flat-panel TV so that I can hang it on the wall and move my old Sony WEGA out of the floor. The programs we watch are not broadcast in HD, so EDTV is the way to go for us. At first I thought that the consumer model Panasonic would be it, but after reading all the posts here and in the other threads comparing Panasonic and NEC, I'm going to order a NEC. I'm opting for the 42VR5, so as to get the 3-year warranty (two extra years of manufacturer's warranty for only $200). Paying by American Express gets an extra year free, so I'll end up with a 4-year warranty. Seems like a good bargain to me.

Norman
post #23 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norman815
manufacturer's warranty for only $200). Paying by American Express gets an extra year free, so I'll end up with a 4-year warranty. Seems like a good bargain to me.

Norman [/b]

Another option is to buy the VM5 and buy 4 year warrantech warranty, they come out to the same price @ plasma concepts.com

Also visa doubles the manufacturer's warranty (so you'd get 2 years on plasma / 6 years parts and labour), if you've got one of those - handy
post #24 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 07:56 PM

That would be a better deal! But I no longer have a Visa. Every once in a great while, I go crazy with cleaning out clutter. Must have gone that way!
post #25 of 65 Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! It appears I've tapped into a wellspring of unrequited NEC lust! (am I allowed to say things like that on this site?)

Tmac145 and Luzer thanks for the PM's. I've responded to you in that format. BTW, as a total newbie to this posting thing I'd like to congratulate the person(s) who designed the AVS Forum site. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computer programs but let me tell you, this one, especially the PM function, is simply amazing and highly intuitive. Hats off (well OK, its a John Deere tractor cap - I'm a canuck after all) to the nameless, faceless wonderkids who created and maintain this site.

For all the other canuckleheads out there I called the AV Unlimited store that tmac refers to here in Vancouver but they're closed Monday. What the @*&%* kind of business closes on a weekday 12 days out from Christmas in the busiest retail period of the year!?! I'll follow up with them tomorrow and see if the NEC is available here. Their website simply states that you have to check each store for products as they all carry their own models!?! What th'!?! Tmac also provided another possible source to view the VM4 in Vancouver which I'll pursue as well to see if they have a "5" series display.

Since there is much more interest in the NEC than I ever imagined, I'll keep this post going with my thoughts assuming I purchase one, including an assessment of PQ etc. Might as well contribute what I can to the body of knowledge here, especially since it has been such an incredible source of info for me (thanks folks!) . If I wind up with the Panasonic I'll refrain as there is so much info already about that unit on the forum.

Re: the question of the LG HD 42" Hurricane, which I could purchase for essentially the same in Canada as the ED Panasonic or NEC, no one has responded that it would be a better choice to buy the HD. I think most of the HD vs. ED question has been covered in previous threads, but the premise is always that the HD will be about $1,000 to $1,200 more (US) than ED. But if they are the same cost, as in this case, what then?

It seems to me that the NEC is still #1 in my books and the Panny #2 due to colour fidelity/processing and the simple specs - 16 million colours for the LG, 3.6 billion for the Panasonic and 68 billion for the NEC. That's not the only consideration by any means, but the NEC certainly has the opportunity to provide a more true-to-life picture it would seem. But with respect to ensuring that the display is future proof, under the circunstances is the HD a better choice, especially paired with an upconverting DVD player as in my earlier test? Comments anyone?

BTW, the 60,000 hour panels all models have is more than anyone will ever need. For instance, I will use this panel to watch roughly 2 DVD's per week MAX. And if I added 2 hockey games per week that would total maybe 10 hours/week - which is more than I EVER watch. That's 520 hours/year. Lets say I'm out by a factor of about 2x. That gives you more or less 1,000 hours/year = 60 years to half brightness! Just thought I'd make that point.

Thanks also for the many comments re: warranty coverage, especially north of the 49th. I'll pursue that issue when/as I buy my plasma and keep y'all posted. Ciao amigos.

Johnnycanuck
"When scratched I bleed red maple leafs"
post #26 of 65 Old 12-14-2004, 06:09 AM

phatboykim:

I too was a little apprehensive about only one DVI input on my NEC in this emerging digital video world. This is my rationalization:

Right now I have every video device connected directly to the VR5, and the sound *only* connected to my 2-year old "antique" Sony HT-Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver--which only accepts video composite in and out. Prior to getting my plasma, I had every device switched through that receiver-video and sound (sound being digital).

Since everything seems to be going in the HDMI direction (with HT receivers lagging behind-currently), when HDMI in/out receivers start to hit the B&M stores (sometime next year I hear), then I will upgrade my "antique" Sony to an 6.1 or 7.1 HT receiver with HDMI out. This will get rid of my current cableing mess to the NEC and I'll have one HDMI to DVI cable running from my receiver to the plasma.

For those who might say, "yeah but that limits you to only *one* picture calibration for all video devices being channeled throught to the the one DVI input". Not so on the NEC. That's where this baby shines. Although the NEC has 6 video inputs and 6 different picture memory settings, the memory settings do *not* have to be "tied" to individual inputs!!! Even though they are not discrete codes (you have to cycle through them) I can have 6 different picture memory calibrations on the DVI input if I choose and I can actually name them-like "DVD", "Satellite" "Gamecube" etc

Just my future plans and opinion, FWIW

Jack
post #27 of 65 Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 AM

Jack,
thanks for the response!! That sounds like a very reasonable plan (I currently don't have a HT receiver as 1) I'm buying components in piecemeal, starting with the plasma of course, 2) I too was waiting for receivers to "catch up" to HDMI). I did not know that the NEC memory settings can all be to the same input - very appealing. Do you happen to know if the Panny has the same option or are their memory settings specific to input?

I guess the only drawback to that is that I was planning on putting the plasma in the bedroom in a few years when we move out of the condo and into a house and upgrade to a larger picture then (and go through another round of mind-numbing research!).

I don't plan to have a receiver in the BR... but I guess I'll deal with that later!
post #28 of 65 Old 12-14-2004, 10:29 AM

What is the difference between the "Anti-reflective" front filter of the VM5A and the "Anti-glare" front filter of the VP5A? Anyone know?
post #29 of 65 Old 12-14-2004, 10:41 AM

Someone did address this in an earlier thread but for the life of me I can't remember what was said. Perhaps a search with NEC and reflective would do the trick.

Kim Viner
post #30 of 65 Old 12-14-2004, 11:16 AM

Anti-reflective is for viewing under "normal" light conditions. Anti-relective is what's used in all the consumer models and the "M" commercial model.

Anti-glare is for extreme and "harsh" lighting conditions (per NEC website) presumably outdoors or in a commercial business window display and in only available in the "P" commercial model.

Hope that helps
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page