Pio at Costco - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 406 Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to nail it down, if I take the board out of the 4312, will I have a 434CMX? If so, it seems this is a great deal for anyone considering the 434CMX as you get the speakers, board and Costco liberal return policy. The reviews I've read on the 434CMX seem universally good unlike some of the 4312's I've read here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 09:54 AM

Hey, I just purchased the 4312 from Costco on Saturday. I can say nothing but great things about this monitor. The HD pictures are incredible. When I was deciding between this monitor and the Panny ED next to it, there was no comparision.

I have my media center pc hooked up via the D - Sub 15 Input, and the STB via the component Input. Any suggestions as to which device I should switch over to HDMI? (both the pc and stb have DVI-outs).
post #183 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 AM

I likewise am LOVING the 4312 that I got from Costco in Mountain View, CA on Sunday.

Am moving in a couple weeks, so to hold off on the wait to get HD cable by comcast started, I bought a Samsung tuner and antenna. WOW.

My first HD plasma purchase, and I have no regrets at all.
post #184 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 10:58 AM

HD002,

You and I have a lot in common. We both are making a jump from a 57" Hitachi RPTV to plasma and we both like to watch a lot of HD sports. I have had the Pioneer 4312 for about 2 weeks now and I have watched a lot of HD football and basketball. I have not noticed any problems with pixelization, break-up or latency with fast moving scenes. Comparing this display to an LCD is joke. The response time of the Pioneer is far better than any LCD panel I have seen.

For sports, I was blown away by cable broadcasts of ABC and ESPN games in 720p. CBS in 1080i was also awesome. I only get Fox through an off-air antenna and I did notice a little noise in the picture, but everyone else who was watching the game with me thought it looked perfect. I guess you become a little more critical when you spend time on AVSforum.

The only things I miss on my Hitachi were the larger screen size and the perfect color reproduction in a dark room (my Hitachi was ISF calibrated).
post #185 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 AM

I thought I read somwhere that the fans are normally off, but kick in if the unit gets too hot. Can anyone comment on this? I currently have the Optoma PD50 from Costco, and the noise from the fans does annoy me during quiet scenes.

Also, could someone who owns one of these take a picture of the back of the unit? I'd like to see what Aurora cards I could add to it to get more DVI or HDMI ports, and if I'd have to swap something out in order to do this.
post #186 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

when watching 4:3, the side bars on my TV are a bright gray. Any way to make these black? Can't seem to find it in the menu/manual.

TIA
post #187 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Has anyone wall mounted the 4312? Any good suggestions?
post #188 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM

I mounted mine with a Sanus fixed mount - works great. Nice locking system too.
post #189 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 01:51 PM

I can respond to the fan question. You are correct..the fan only turns on when the unit reaches a certain temperature...but not sure what that is. I have never heard my fan come on but I guess it has....at least I hope so. I will verify tonight. To date, I have not heard the monitor....
post #190 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ///MD
when watching 4:3, the side bars on my TV are a bright gray. Any way to make these black? Can't seem to find it in the menu/manual.

TIA
Check your Samsung manual. It is controlling the pillar box color, not the pio.
post #191 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NewHD4me
HD002,

You and I have a lot in common. We both are making a jump from a 57" Hitachi RPTV to plasma and we both like to watch a lot of HD sports. I have had the Pioneer 4312 for about 2 weeks now and I have watched a lot of HD football and basketball. I have not noticed any problems with pixelization, break-up or latency with fast moving scenes. Comparing this display to an LCD is joke. The response time of the Pioneer is far better than any LCD panel I have seen.

For sports, I was blown away by cable broadcasts of ABC and ESPN games in 720p. CBS in 1080i was also awesome. I only get Fox through an off-air antenna and I did notice a little noise in the picture, but everyone else who was watching the game with me thought it looked perfect. I guess you become a little more critical when you spend time on AVSforum.

The only things I miss on my Hitachi were the larger screen size and the perfect color reproduction in a dark room (my Hitachi was ISF calibrated).

Yes , I have a s500 and the picture is mint , I have been wanting to add a plasma for a new room. The Pioneer picture and price make it very attractive . I was either going to go with the Visio , but after seeing next to pioneer had to rule it out. Or the other option was the 50 inch Pioneer, but already having the s500 , i did not want to invest the extra 2k for the 50".

So far MovieBears review in the other thread is the only place i have seen claims of pixelation. I am hoping they still have the 43" in stock by the time I get back to Costco .
post #192 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie_eberly
Check your Samsung manual. It is controlling the pillar box color, not the pio.
No, the gray bars are still there when I switch to 4:3 using the Screen Size button on the remote, regardless of source (my standard tivo, samsung HD receiver, etc.)

For the others that have this monitor, is it the same for you?
post #193 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally posted by ///MD
No, the gray bars are still there when I switch to 4:3 using the Screen Size button on the remote, regardless of source (my standard tivo, samsung HD receiver, etc.)

For the others that have this monitor, is it the same for you?
Gray is the default color for the side mask. Gray is a neutral setting that reduces burn-in potential versus black or white. However, it is adjustable.

Look for side mask control in the options menu. This should allow you to change the color from gray to Auto adjust. However, I believe the specific color of the side bar is set in Pio's "integrator" service mode. If you really want to change it you need to look for information on getting into the integrator mode and where the side mask color setting is. I think this is common to all Pio models. I wouldn't fiddle with it.

Bill
post #194 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 PM
jes

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Ball
Gray is the default color for the side mask. Gray is a neutral setting that reduces burn-in potential versus black or white. However, it is adjustable.

Look for side mask control in the options menu. This should allow you to change the color from gray to Auto adjust. However, I believe the specific color of the side bar is set in Pio's "integrator" service mode. If you really want to change it you need to look for information on getting into the integrator mode and where the side mask color setting is. I think this is common to all Pio models. I wouldn't fiddle with it.

Bill
There is no adjustment to the color of the pillar mask on the PDP-4304. "///MD", read page 40 of the manual for details on what Mask Control does... You might be able to change the color on an HD source from a STB. The result [for me] is a "narrow" 4:3 image (2 sets of pillar bars, 1 gray, 1 black), when viewed in 4:3, NTSC input. If you use the Full mode on the HD input you will only get black pillar bars. The risk is burn in if you watch a lot of 4:3 programs and/or have the contrast or brightness set too high.
post #195 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 PM

thanks for the insight fellas, ill leave it as is (gray).
post #196 of 406 Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
jes

We purchased a PDP-4312 last week. To be honest, I guess the goal was to get a larger screen for our main "TV room". :D After accepting the "Near HD" issue , calibrating it with Video Essentials, as well as pressure from the SO, we've decided to keep it for now. This was a tough decision and a compromise, trading size for image quality. In our case we were replacing a 30" Loewe HDTV. For those not familiar with Loewe (German, not pronounced Low), it's a 16:9, 1080i CRT. A "near HD" plasma or even a true 1080i(p) LCD hasn't got a chance in comparison... :(

I have no use for the OTA tuner that comes with most other HDTVs as I can't receive anything OTA. I am a D* subscriber anyway. As such the savings for only a monitor is a big plus.

In general the picture is good. HD programs look great. I've tortured it with Chap 25 of Sea Biscuit and the chase in Ronon, among other things. Seems to do well on fast moving action. I have witnessed false contouring on a scene of Andromeda. I think it was the Pioneer, but can't swear to it as A-B involved running down the hall to look at the Loewe... :p I plan to watch Tron soon, as rumor has it, Tron is a severe test for false contouring.

IMHO it's an excellent buy compared to other 42"/43" plasma panels.
post #197 of 406 Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 AM

Quote:
For those not familiar with Loewe (German, not pronounced Low), it's a 16:9, 1080i CRT.

IMHO it's an excellent buy compared to other 42"/43" plasma panels. [/b]
Com'on, the Loewe is nice, but it's still a Fish Bowl (CRT) ;)

You are right, you cannot find a higher quality 42/43" HD Plasma for a better price. And most important, if anything ever happens to it Costco will take care of it for you - no worries.
post #198 of 406 Old 01-19-2005, 10:30 AM
jes

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboTuner
Com'on, the Loewe is nice, but it's still a Fish Bowl (CRT) ;)
You're thinking of the 38". The 30" is a flat screen CRT.
post #199 of 406 Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 AM

Does anyone know if the HDMI port on the Costco PDP-5004C is compatible with the digital output on a DVDO I-scan HD+? I'm assuming it is in that both are HDCP compliant but I've also seen somewhere that the PDP-504CMX won't take an HD input, only the output from a computer video board. Thanks for any help.

"Just when they think they've got the answers, I change the questions"
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper
post #200 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
One difference between the 4304 and the 434CMX appears to be the Screen Management feature. The 434CMX manual shows and describes this feature. The 4304 manual does not talk about it. Can anyone with a 4304 verify that this feature is not there? It's supposed to be on the options menu after Energy Save and before Orbiter. Mine is still in its box (long story). This is the feature that can be set to wake up in the night and display an inverse image for 10 minutes then a white mask for 30 minutes. I'm really disappointed that this does not look like it is there.

Paul
post #201 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 09:24 AM

After talking to Pioneer I have my doubts that this model is based on the commercial version of the unit. I was able to get the phone # for the Pioneer authorized tech service line and called them. They weren't happy that I was talking to them but at least they spent 2 minutes talking to me. I was told the 4304 is based on the consumer units and much of the features and functionality is removed. Disappointing to say the least as I really wanted to get RS-232 control of it. The tech line said it was for factory use only and disabled.

Also, they are guarding the button sequence to enter integrator mode like a classified top secret. The info - the entire integrator mode section actually - is missing from the 504/434CMX (what it was thought the 4304 is based on) manual available for download and the tech line resolutely refused to tell me how to do it citing "confidential" information.

See this post for more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...57#post5033257
post #202 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The dirty little secret isn't what the Costco Pioneer lacks--the dirty little secret is that YES Pioneer could manufacture displays with relatively a smaller number of features for a whole lot LESS money--that's what they don't want the Video consumer and their Chinese Plasma Display Manufacturing competition to know! Alot of Pioneer's sales come from being 43-inches instead of 42-inches--ther advantages are few and are easily reproduceable--you'll see how true tha is in the next few years!
post #203 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

but I still like the PQ of the Pioneer's, is the commercial the same as consumer PQwise? I saw the consumer panny 42in. vs. 4340/5 pioneer and liked the sharper picture on the pio instead. If I can get a commercial pio for about the same price as the panny and it's 1 in. bigger. The Pio's also known to be more reliable than the panny's right? I think that would pretty much seal the deal for me there.
post #204 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I just wish someone made 43s instead of Pioneer. They currently have a monopoly on that size--Monopolies like that price wise aren't good!
post #205 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wish more good spec 46" were made, a great size for those wanting more than a 42 but can't afford or fit a 50. HEY, anyone else been watching the Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest tonight in HD ......... sweet :-)

John
post #206 of 406 Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Although I can't speak directly to the PDP 4312 being consumer or pro based, I did notice the manufacturing date on the panels I saw was Sept and Nov 2004. I've seen 4340's at big box stores with 2003 manufacturing dates. I would suspect a manufacturing date like that (2004) would indicate a 4 series panel and recent one at that. My quick evaluation (hardly scientific) is that I found the 4312 (actually a 4304 panel) preferable to the 4340's I've taken a look at but that may be attributable to most of those displays being run in their "hottest" preset picture setting.

Ty Arkoff, CPD

CEDIA Certified Professional Designer
post #207 of 406 Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just saw the Vizio42 and the Pioneer 43 -one atop the other per MSRP-at my local Costco, showing HD travel via component and I judged, in that "critical" viewing setup that the jing delta=$$ between the two as far as MSRP goes is about equal to the PQ delta.

Is there a lower price near Pioneer out soon?

Thank you very much

Fury
post #208 of 406 Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 PM

I'm deciding between the Costco Pioneer and the Vizio (raincheck in hand)
and have a couple questions for you folks who already have the units.

Can you give a summary of the various zoom modes available:
- For HD (1080i / 720p) via HDMI? via Component?
- For SD (480p / 480i) via HDMI? via Component? via S-Video?

Specifically, are there non-linear strech modes for 4:3 programming
(strech sides more than center) and is there a zoom mode that works
with letterboxed 4:3 (and non anamorphic widescreen DVDs) that will
expand a 16:9 image within a 4:3 source without distorting or chopping
off the sides/top/bottom.

Thankd
post #209 of 406 Old 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
jes

Quote:
Originally posted by kdb209
I'm deciding between the Costco Pioneer and the Vizio (raincheck in hand)
and have a couple questions for you folks who already have the units.

Can you give a summary of the various zoom modes available:
- For HD (1080i / 720p) via HDMI? via Component?
- For SD (480p / 480i) via HDMI? via Component? via S-Video?

Specifically, are there non-linear strech modes for 4:3 programming
(strech sides more than center) and is there a zoom mode that works
with letterboxed 4:3 (and non anamorphic widescreen DVDs) that will
expand a 16:9 image within a 4:3 source without distorting or chopping
off the sides/top/bottom.

Thankd

LL
post #210 of 406 Old 01-24-2005, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pbenjamin
This is the feature that can be set to wake up in the night and display an inverse image for 10 minutes then a white mask for 30 minutes. I'm really disappointed that this does not look like it is there.
Why would you want to do this?
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page