AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panasonic CES Teaser

23K views 156 replies 52 participants last post by  matwags 
#1 ·
#53 ·
I am interesting in gathering information on the recently announced Panasonic TH-42PD50U 42" EDTV.

Limited Specification Information:

TH-42PD50U 42" (diagonal) 480p EDTV Plasma TV. ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners; 720p/1080i/480p/480i video in; 16:9 screen; contrast ratio up to 4000:1; HDMI, optical digital audio out; The Director Lighted Disc Home Theater remote

Link:
Panasonic Press Room Images 1/6/05

Click on images/consumer electronics at top left part of page.

Please post any links or additional information on this plasma. I am most interested in the width due to a space limitation of 44" wide. Also specifically looking for information such as 7th generation glass, number of colors, estimated release date.

Some comments here on the 16:9 website:
16nine.com

No SD or PC slots

500 series is 8th generation (so is this 50 series 7th?)

JCPZero

#55 ·
From the 1/5/05 panasonic press release "PANASONIC LEADS IN HD PLASMA WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY, MORE MODELS, EXPANDED SCREEN SIZES " - sorry no direct link available:

8.6 Billion Colors

Availability March 2005 (TH-42PD50U EDTV & TH-37PX50U HDTV)

JCPZero

#57 ·
I must admit I'm also underwhelmed at the design of the new ED PDPs. I hoped they'd move toward a black bezel like the HD models. And I agree, the commercial look alike stand is pretty homely. But the increased color palette and direct 720p are welcome additions.

#61 ·
"2) Complaining about the loss of a 37" ED model when no such thing occured.

TH-37PX50U HDTV 720p

37" diagonal

It's there."

Actually, what would really be great is if you understood certain things before complaining that others don't.

The TH-37PX50U is an HD model. ED models are denoted with a "PD" instead of "PX". The ED model is NOT on the press release.

Notice that it says HDTV next to the 37PX50, and EDTV next to the 42PD50?

"It's just, well, sometimes a little etiquette and self censorship

on the part of folks (thinking before engaging fingers to keyboard) would

greatly increase the signal to noise ratio on these groups."

Good advice. Apparently you need it.

#65 ·
nogits, 20 years hasn't taught you much about netiquette. Lurking's great, signing up just so you can dis existing members in a long,

choppy,

inaccurate diatribe is not.

Learn some manners.

#67 ·
so are the 7UYs the 2005's commercial models? Or will we see the 8UYs coming out later on this year? If the 7UYs are the 2005 commercial models then what will the PX50/0Us do the prices of the 7UYs? I'm saving up money for a 7UY right now, and the time frame of March or April will be perfect for me to pull the trigger, just hoping by that time the 7UYs will be even cheaper, or even 8UYs will be out and get a good deal on that.

Am I asking for too much, reading all these news about current digital display technologies, I think the prices we're paying today will be kinda ridiculous compares to what they will go for 2 years later. Just trying to get the best prices on current models.

#68 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BlazeMaster
so are the 7UYs the 2005's commercial models? Or will we see the 8UYs coming out later on this year? If the 7UYs are the 2005 commercial models then what will the PX50/0Us do the prices of the 7UYs? I'm saving up money for a 7UY right now, and the time frame of March or April will be perfect for me to pull the trigger, just hoping by that time the 7UYs will be even cheaper, or even 8UYs will be out and get a good deal on that.

Am I asking for too much, reading all these news about current digital display technologies, I think the prices we're paying today will be kinda ridiculous compares to what they will go for 2 years later. Just trying to get the best prices on current models.
I'm a PDP owner wanna be, short-timer, so I may be wrong, the 7UY commercial series using 7th generation glass were introduced last fall ('04) so I anticipate the 8th generation commercial models from Panasonic will not be available until fall '05. The 8th generation consumer PDP's are scheduled to become available early this year and into this summer. This schedule seems to make sense as each line of PDP's are manufactured approximately 6 months apart.

#69 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nessus
I'm a PDP owner wanna be, short-timer, so I may be wrong, the 7UY commercial series using 7th generation glass were introduced last fall ('04) so I anticipate the 8th generation commercial models from Panasonic will not be available until fall '05. The 8th generation consumer PDP's are scheduled to become available early this year and into this summer. This schedule seems to make sense as each line of PDP's are manufactured approximately 6 months apart.
Hadnt historically Panasonic been bringing out their newest tech in the commercial models first? Or do they bring out tech on each run be it commercial or consumer?

ss

#72 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by subysouth
Can you elaborate on that a little? What changed and how?

ss

For the last few years Panasonic introduced newer Generation Plasmas (Both Consumer and Commercial) around September. First the Consumer Models followed by the Commercial few weeks later. But that changed last year with the release of the "25" Consumer Models around April to comply with the FCC Rules:
  • TVs with screen sizes 36 inches and above :

50 percent of a responsible party’s units must include DTV tuners effective July 1, 2004

That's why the 7th Generation Consumer Models were delayed. So Panasonic had the time to sell (get rid :D )

all the remaining stock of "25" Displays before releasing the new Models.

But those 7G Models (Not to be confused with the "High End" 7G Onyx Series) were "suppose" to be released

by Dec 04 / Jan 05

And now here comes Panasonic announcing the "appears-to-be" 8th Generation Consumer Models. :confused:

#73 ·
They need to get out all these new models befoe July so they can make the second half of the FCC rules of all TVs > 36" WITH a tuner needs to tune ATSC broadcasts. They do not need to release new commercial/industrial monitors without tuners since they would not fall under this mandate.

I suspect in the next few months ATSC (and cablecard) will be everywhere. It will be hard to sell a consumer "monitor" for thousands of dollars requiring a settop box to get a picture.

#76 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BruZZi
For the last few years Panasonic introduced newer Generation Plasmas (Both Consumer and Commercial) around September. First the Consumer Models followed by the Commercial few weeks later. But that changed last year with the release of the "25" Consumer Models around April to comply with the FCC Rules:
  • TVs with screen sizes 36 inches and above :

50 percent of a responsible party’s units must include DTV tuners effective July 1, 2004

That's why the 7th Generation Consumer Models were delayed. So Panasonic had the time to sell (get rid :D )

all the remaining stock of "25" Displays before releasing the new Models.

But those 7G Models (Not to be confused with the "High End" 7G Onyx Series) were "supposedly to be released

by Dec 04 / Jan 05

And now here comes Panasonic announcing the "appears-to-be" 8th Generation Consumer Models. :confused:

I'm wondering if perhaps production capacities might also play a role regarding gearing up to produce only commercial or only consumer models? Or maybe both are produced at the same time?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.