New Vizio P42HD Model "e" Discussion - NO PRICING/COUPON TALK ALLOWED - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone seen the Vizio (42 or 42e) at a Portland, Oregon area Costco? I go to the Aloha one regularly, and they still have the same old Akai 42" HD on display every time. They also claim they don't have the coupon book (never got mine in the mail).

Booooooo . . . . :(

Quote:
Originally posted by robglasser
Just an FYI for those in the Seattle area. I was just at the Kirkland, WA Costco Store (not the Costcto Home, the regular one) and the guy there said they would not have them out until next Monday, but would have them.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 PM

Viperhockey,

looking forward to your post- We plan to buy one tomorrow night at the Sunnyvale store providing it will fit in the back of the Cherokee.

Also, can anyone post what if any cables are included (DVI, component, etc) or should I go pick some up. Comcast is coming to install the HDDVR Motorola box on Saturday and I want to have everything in place.
post #183 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2cats1dog
Viperhockey,

looking forward to your post- We plan to buy one tomorrow night at the Sunnyvale store providing it will fit in the back of the Cherokee.
It fit in the back of my wife's Sequoia with the third row of seats removed.
post #184 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Can you pls give the store number pls. The Manager in NJ COSTCO Store said, the SKU 845022 is PHD42 and NOT PHD42E. Does on the box does it say PHD42E ?? All the 8 Boxes (ORange and white) says PHD42 in front. Pls confirm. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by ViperHockey
I just picked up the "e" model at the Mountain View, CA Costco. FWIW: The SKU # on the receipt was 845022.

Report on it tuned side-by-side with my 6UY Panny ED hopefully tomorrow.
post #185 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coolguy
Can you pls give the store number pls. The Manager in NJ COSTCO Store said, the SKU 845022 is PHD42 and NOT PHD42E. Does on the box does it say PHD42E ?? All the 8 Boxes (ORange and white) says PHD42 in front. Pls confirm. Thanks.
coolguy,

The box will say PD42HD. The sticker on the side with the serial # will say PD42HDe and on the box it will say 5000:1 contrast ratio.
The PD42HDe box is orange and white. (at least here in Tustin CA)
post #186 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Sorry double post...
post #187 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Hmmmm.. Are you sure about BOX COLOR?? All the 8 units I seen on shelf are ORANGE & WHITE mix boxes only...
post #188 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM

Yes, as far as costco is concerned there is only one model. I suggest bringing a pair of binoculars into the store. :)

I would be dropping in there daily. Two weeks ago, the manager of the Mountain View store said that the TV's were in stock but wouldn't be on the floor until the 17th. I just happened to drop in there this morning and they were in stock.

FWIW: I've never seen an old box but from what I understand, the old one weren't orange.
post #189 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:42 PM

HEHEHE :D
post #190 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Can someone with the P42HDe (the new one) carefully measure the exact height of the shipping box. My Highlander has 33.5" of clearance for the opening into the rear and someone posted the box is 33" (a very close fit).

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #191 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:00 PM

BESTWAY to get these PLASMAS to HOME, if u dont own SUV+ is .. HOME DEPOT has Rental Trucks for $20 for first 75mins and from there every 15mins is $5 :) . Just FYI.
post #192 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:06 PM

My Costco just got a Pioneer 43" HD PD3-43??? I can't remember the other numbers. I lost the card, I had written the number on. They were hooking it up, so I have not seen the picture yet. But, the price was only $500 over the Vizio HD (e) version. Anyone know anything about this model or Pioneer in general? Thanks
post #193 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:12 PM

YES me too seen POINEER 43" HD OPEN BOX one on floor, not switched on though. It was listed as [MSRP is allowed] since OPENBOX, Original Price is $4K. Way out of my budget anyways :P ..
post #194 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 PM

GUYS, if the box is white with orange on it, it is the NEW Vizio "e" version. You can't mistake it. Even easier: Just look at the contrast ratio printed largely and clearly on the box. If it says 5000:1, it is the new "e" version. It will still say P42HD on the box. Don't worry, it IS the "e." Promise!

ViperHockey, please do post your comparison. I checked out the Vizio at my local Costco, and it is noticeably "blurry" compared to the Panny HDTV next to it. The Costco employees could NOT supply me with a remote control, so I had no way to tweak the settings. But as is, the Vizio display was the weakest one. That worries me. So if someone at home can assure me that the Vizio looks razor sharp, I'll feel a lot better about possibly pulling the trigger on this purchase. I dunno. But I do know that I don't want an HDTV with soft edges on the images.
post #195 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:24 PM

I saw the Pioneer at Costco too, and same price as WooBah wrote, $500 more than the Vizio. I didn't note the model number, it was HD, 43" and it looked great. Looked to me like it had better color saturation than the Vizio, and the sharpness was about the same.

If it didn't say that "an HD tuner was required," on the item description, I would have bought it and cancelled my Dell W4200HD order (the dell has an ATSC tuner).
post #196 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
YES me too seen POINEER 43" HD OPEN BOX one on floor, not switched on though. It was listed as [MSRP is allowed] since OPENBOX, Original Price is $4K. Way out of my budget anyways :P ..
My costco had 5 new boxed Pioneer 43" HD Plasmas for {MSRP is allowed] including stand. Again, I did not see the picture as they were setting up a display model.
post #197 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jones
Can someone with the P42HDe (the new one) carefully measure the exact height of the shipping box. My Highlander has 33.5" of clearance for the opening into the rear and someone posted the box is 33" (a very close fit).

Ron Jones
Hey Ron,
The P42HDe (white and orange box) is a about 33 X 48 X 18. It should just fit in the back of your Highlander with about 3/4" to spare.

Jon
post #198 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM

The 43" Pioneer was at my Costco (though no Vizio on display). It stole the show, when I was there. However, it would cost 50% more than the Vizio on 1/17. I didn't get to compare with the Vizio not out, but I can't imagine it was 50% better.
post #199 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM

just picked up my Visio today, can't wait to put it on the wall...

MWC mentioned earlier in the post that he used a Sanus wall mount to make it so the Visio was close to the wall... what model please!!! and where do I get one? Or does someone have another suggestion?

P.S. It didn't fit into my friends Nissan x-terra, so we took the top box off and it fit perfectly... the unit has styrofoam(?) around it that protected it.

i strive to figure out what the heck i am doing
post #200 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Costco.com have this mount...
The Item # is 777044 (sorry I can't link because of under post...)
This is inexpensive and may work for this plasma???
Your input please...
Thanks
post #201 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 PM

What's the difference between E and non-E?

If there is not much of a difference between SD and ED, ED and HD, and HD and 1080p, is there really that much of a difference between SD and 1080p?
post #202 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgburton
What's the difference between E and non-E?
Better contrast ratio, glass.

Guys, if you're new and haven't read this thread, please do. I know it's long, but we're getting the same questions over and over again here. Not just once or twice, but many, many times.
post #203 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Sorry.... I glanced over the first 5 or 6 pages and didn't see it.

If there is not much of a difference between SD and ED, ED and HD, and HD and 1080p, is there really that much of a difference between SD and 1080p?
post #204 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 PM

I have to go with Idahoguy here. There's another thread on the same thing that was closed. It's about 27 pages long. Anyway, there's a lot of great information between the threads. If you are thinking about spending this kind of cash, it's worth the time to read the posts at least once.
post #205 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Crawfor
Just to add on to an earlier poster's comments - yes, the front of the TV on my set up is only about 5.75" from the wall. I used a low profile Sanus mount.

Is there any proof yet that this is new glass on the 'e'? I'm asking because it seems not only odd that they'd get it into the line so quickly at the start, but also that there hasn't been an LG glass rated at 3000:1. I suspect that they simply got the right reporting on the glass they were already using. Then again, anything is possible. Too bad we don't know anyone at V-Inc that could give a solid answer...

Michael
MWC
Is this the Sanus Systems VMPL2 series mount?
post #206 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 PM

Guys, the Pioneer at Costco is the PDP 4340 model. Search the reviews on here and you'll find even more issues to consider as to whether the Pio is better or not (separate media box, significant fan noise, buzzing complaints etc.)

This weighing all the factors is getting to be quite taxing. :(
post #207 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM

Just few notes about my own impressions regarding these two models. I have the "old" model (non "e"), and the only reason I want to exchange it for the new "e" is an expected discount at Costco. I wish I could get the discount for my current unit, because I like its performance (including black colors), and have doubts that the "e" model beats my unit. I am afraid I can get worse an "e" unit in exchange. Also, I did not try HD yet, but SD was not bad at all, and DVD was beyond my best expectations.
My conclusion, that quality of this Visio TV does not depend on "e" or "non-e" model, but depends on certain units. If CR is 5000:1 for "e", then mine is 6000:1. Question is how you can be sure that the new glass outperforms the old glass without looking what is printed on the box? Similar story about Pioneer 4312. What I saw in one of the Costco stores, then no way I would get it instead of mine "non-e" Visio. The Pioneer 4312 was a loser. But in another store the Pioneer 4312 was a winner. So, it is very subjective thing, and depends what unit you get, or how it was tuned.
This is just my subjective opinion to share the results of my observation.
post #208 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM

ok now i am looking for a dvd player to take advantage of visio's capabilities; someone recommended Samsung's DVD-HD841. Is Samsung's DVD-HD941 worth the extra $150? the only differences i can see are that DVD-HD941 has an HDMI output and Faroudja DCDi Technology. Is it worth it?

i strive to figure out what the heck i am doing
post #209 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM

I too just bought the Vizio P42HDe from universally known warehouse chain. I went to the Queens location, mentioned by a previous poster in the closed thread. I took the last box underneath the display, but there were four more in the high shelves behind the customer service desk.
I fit the box lying flat (for better or worse) inside the back of my Honda Civic Hatchback with the rear seats folded down. Inside the box, the plasma screen comes pre-mounted with the stand suspended by styrofoam packaging. The packaging is certainly less structurally sound lying flat than standing vertical. Box dimensions have been posted previously. It is a white box with orange design. It says P42HD in big letters, but a sticker on the end identifies it at the "e."

My initial impressions:

There is a slight buzz even when the TV is off. It can be heard if you put your ear close to the screen. The charcoal bezel fits in nicely with my black stereo components. The speakers are separate and need to be bolted to the sides. The remote is a worthy size but feels plasticy. The manual is only good for the remote codes. Cables included: power cable like ones for a computer, two cheap speaker cables, and a L/R RCA to mini stereo cable.

Analog cable TV feed to the Vizio is pretty disappointing. The large picture size really magnifies the flaws in the TV feed. My local BB was broadcasting regular signals to their plasmas today...the Pany ED seemed less sensitive to the flaws in feed when compared to the HD Sony's and Pioneers.

I next tried watching a DVD using a standard low-end JVC progressive scan with component hookup, giving a feed of 480p. The PQ was good, but not as spectacular as I've seen. Progressive scan actually looked worse than standard scan because random pixels would flash primary colors in the midst of a scene from LOR.

However, I was finally able to feed the Vizio true 1080i today - both HDTV and DVD from an LG LST-3510A using the same cheapo component video cables. The results were much more impressive. PQ was significantly improved watching the same DVD and network TV shows. Watching the DVD from my laptop (VGA cable to the Vizio) was somewhere in the middle.

I also do notice some "snow" when a still image appears on the screen, as if the pixels cannot hold a steady image. I have not noticed the snow as much on the higher end sony's and panny's (I've had the opportunity to see some awesome PQ at the Manhattan Sony store.) However, if you look at any plasma close enough, the snow becomes apparent. On the Vizio, the snow is perceptable at about a 6 foot viewing distance.

In the end, I think I will keep the Vizio because the colors, brilliance, and sharpness are quite good for the price. I would say that it is superior to other screens within a +$1000 price range. Of course, it does not produce as sharp or steady an image screens 2-3x as much. Also keep in mind that you will need high quality video sources to take full advantage of your investment.
post #210 of 1829 Old 01-10-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I just came back from Costco in NJ. They have 8 units of VIZIO sealed on Shelf and all of they have P42HD! Then i went to manager and he stated the P42HD is the only VIZIO they carry and his system shows P42HD is still ACTIVE. So its not going to be replaced yet itseems. If anyone found the "P42HDE" model in Costco, could you pls let me know the SKU/ITEM # for it. The Current P42HD Model ITEM/SKU# 845022 < (This is the one that has been advertized as $400Off on JAN-17-2004.

OK it's really simple. Costco uses "845022 VIZIO P42" to ID either TV.

The "e" ships in an ORANGE AND WHITE box. The non-"e" in a brown/tan (natural-kraft if you're corrugatedly inclined) box with mostly black writing.

Thanks,
Twilligers
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page