New Vizio P42HD Model "e" Discussion - NO PRICING/COUPON TALK ALLOWED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK,

I'm Restarting this thread after some hard head had to go and spoil the fun in the original thread by violating the posting rules on the AVS forum.

By now, everyone should know, or be capable of picking up the phone and calling Costo to get a price on this unit. So let's focus on the unit's performance, which is what most of us are now must interested in learning more about!

bradesp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tracking some of the later posts in the prior thread, I'm anxious to hear back from recent buyers of this panel regarding the ability to "tweak" the picture. It sounds like the scaling and zoom features may be suspect when compared to competing units.

Please report back if you've been able to play with the setup at a store or your tweaking one you've recently purchased!

Thanks!
post #3 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Yes!
Keep it going!! I bought mine about a month ago. But, I still like to know what people think of the Vizio.

For those wondering about Xbox an Vizio. I have my Xbox hooked up to the plasma with the Xbox HD box and the HD games look great!! Halo 2 is amazing!!

Jon
post #4 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Demon16V,

I'm contemplating my purchase for my kids playroom, which is 60% xBox, 20% dvd and 20% SD from satellite.

Great to hear your're happy with xBox performance.

BTW, do you see a big difference based on the games? I noticed that some are 480P while others are designed for 720P.
post #5 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Ah, demon - you can answer my question! Does your power light stay on all the time? Mine does...it's a regular night light in my bedroom.

Of course, I'm not looking for an excuse to return it and get an 'e'...of course not.

Michael
MWC
well, perhaps a better excuse than "I don't want this one, I want that one"
post #6 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM

Reading the manual if I use the DVI connection from my DVD player to the Vizio, what is meant by a "DVI HDTV/RGB PC Audio In" input? What kind of cable is this? From the diagram it appears that there is a right and left RCA audio jack being merged into a single audio jack and then plugging into the back of the Vizio? Does the Vizio then take this audio signal and convert it to 2-channel audio (stereo) for the attached speakers?

I plan on using an Onkyo receiver for surround sound, but also want to utilize the Vizio speakers for my wife who has troubles using the Onkyo receiver and trying to select the right input for surround sound. She finds it easier to simply turn on the TV and DVD player and use the TV speakers rather than mess around with surround sound on the Onkyo.

_______
rkhobbit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bradesp
Demon16V,

I'm contemplating my purchase for my kids playroom, which is 60% xBox, 20% dvd and 20% SD from satellite.

Great to hear your're happy with xBox performance.

BTW, do you see a big difference based on the games? I noticed that some are 480P while others are designed for 720P.

The 720P games look much better. The picture is much more detailed and the images look crisper. The movement of objects is also much smoother.
Hope I helped.
post #8 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Crawfor
Ah, demon - you can answer my question! Does your power light stay on all the time? Mine does...it's a regular night light in my bedroom.

Of course, I'm not looking for an excuse to return it and get an 'e'...of course not.

Michael
MWC
well, perhaps a better excuse than "I don't want this one, I want that one"

Yea, the orange light stays on when the plasma is off. But, it helps to light the way in a dark room. :) :)
I don't think that the new "e" would be any different.
I am thinking of returning the plasma for the new "e". I like the newer color and the plus is the 5000:1.

Jon
post #9 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 PM

Anyone tried hooking this unit up to a PC to see what kind of picture and definition is achieved. There were some questions asked (but not answered) in the old thread as to what the rectangular pixelation would do when this set is used as a PC Monitor.
post #10 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM

I have the non "e" version of the P42HD connected to my MCE htpc using vga(dvi is used by my comcast HD dual tuner DVR). The picture quality from the PC looks great. I *think* I'm feeding it with the native resolution of the panel(1024x768). I haven't noticed any stretching but I normally don't noticed this kind of stuff unless it's extreme. Media center handles it well also. There is a linear stretch mode built into media center that helps for SD content.
post #11 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Picked up an "e" version yesterday.
Returning my ESA ED tomorrow.

Power button light does stay on with mine too.
Green when on...amber when off.

What a difference!
Great Blacks!
HiDef looks superb.
DVD's look superb. I use an HTPC with Zoombrowser, ffdshow.
SD looks a tad better than my ED unit. Thanks to the contrast ratio.

The PC hookup is the biggest difference over my ED unit.
Very crisp and clean. I'm running a native 1024x768.
PC display does not look stretched at all. Looks just like a normal monitor.
DDC info reports:
DDC:Supported
Display name: VIZIOP42HDe
Max Reported Resolution: 1280x1024
Max Reported Refresh Rate: 75Hz

Speakers sound very good.
I am driving them with a Pioneer AMP.

Stretching and scaling the screen....
I have no problems getting a full picture with any source I've thrown at it so far. I usually do my scaling at the source anyway (set top or PC).
Scaling looks great. Briefly looking at the TV options it has "wide","aspect" and "1:1". Haven't investigated these too much, It's set to "wide" and I do my scaling at the source.

The remote that comes with the unit is universal capable of controlling 4 components. I've got a MX-500, so I'll just use it to learn codes.
Very happy that the remote has a lot of discrete codes. Each input has it's own button. Just need a discrete power on/off code.

I'm a very happy camper so far.
HUGE bang for the buck.
post #12 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 04:55 PM

does anybody have any suggestions for raising the tv stand about 6" or so in order to place a center channel spaker in front of the tv? i'd prefer not to mount a shelf above the plasma for the speaker, so i'm trying to figure out what i could use to raise the tv about 6" so that i can place a center channel speaker in front without blocking the picture. i suppose i could just go to home depot and nail some boards together, but it wouldn't look too pretty.
post #13 of 1829 Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 PM

I saw one of these today and although it looked great it had a magenta tint in the far upper left of the display. All other displays connected to the same source did not show this tint flaw. Is this a defect or what?
post #14 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prosper

Speakers sound very good.
I am driving them with a Pioneer AMP.

Prosper,

I'm confused about your speaker comment... Aren't these speakers driven by the amp on the display panel itself? Are you suggesting you've connected the speakers to a seperate amp and in doing so are getting better quality sounds as a result?

Have you auditioned other high-end plasma type speakers to be able to compare the quality of these speakers to others you may have heard previously?

Thanks!
post #15 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rkhobbit
Reading the manual if I use the DVI connection from my DVD player to the Vizio, what is meant by a "DVI HDTV/RGB PC Audio In" input? What kind of cable is this? From the diagram it appears that there is a right and left RCA audio jack being merged into a single audio jack and then plugging into the back of the Vizio? Does the Vizio then take this audio signal and convert it to 2-channel audio (stereo) for the attached speakers?

I plan on using an Onkyo receiver for surround sound, but also want to utilize the Vizio speakers for my wife who has troubles using the Onkyo receiver and trying to select the right input for surround sound. She finds it easier to simply turn on the TV and DVD player and use the TV speakers rather than mess around with surround sound on the Onkyo.

_______
rkhobbit

You read it correctly.
When using the DVI input for video it seems you must use that goofy RCAx2 into that small single plug rig for audio into the Vizo. The other audio inputs seem dead when DVI is used.

BTW-the mini single plug has three conducting segments.........I think these things sum the ground planes. But your stereo is maintained throughout.

BTW-Vizio supplies the oddball cable w/the P42HD.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #16 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 AM

bradesp,

I'm using the Pioneer to drive the speakers primarily to cutdown on audio cables to/from the plasma. Just two pair of speaker wire was much easier to fish in the wall then all the audio cables.....especially since the DVI, Component, VGA, SVideo was a fairly thick pull.

I was planning on running it on surround sound, but tried with just the stock speakers and the wife and I were quite pleased with just them.

We've got a front projection home theater downstairs that is our main movie viewing area.

If the plasma was the only viewing area I'd probably not settle for just the stock speakers.

Try them out and see if they suit your needs.
What do you have to lose?
post #17 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 AM

Just to add on to an earlier poster's comments - yes, the front of the TV on my set up is only about 5.75" from the wall. I used a low profile Sanus mount.

Is there any proof yet that this is new glass on the 'e'? I'm asking because it seems not only odd that they'd get it into the line so quickly at the start, but also that there hasn't been an LG glass rated at 3000:1. I suspect that they simply got the right reporting on the glass they were already using. Then again, anything is possible. Too bad we don't know anyone at V-Inc that could give a solid answer...

Michael
MWC
post #18 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prosper

SD looks a tad better than my ED unit. Thanks to the contrast ratio.

Propser,

Most on this forum have complained about how lousy SD looks on an HD panel (scaling / digital artifact issues). Most comment that ED is a supperior display for SD material. Can you comment further on your SD experience? Are you using cable, OTA or Satellite for SD?

Thanks.
post #19 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aircasper
does anybody have any suggestions for raising the tv stand about 6" or so in order to place a center channel spaker in front of the tv? i'd prefer not to mount a shelf above the plasma for the speaker, so i'm trying to figure out what i could use to raise the tv about 6" so that i can place a center channel speaker in front without blocking the picture. i suppose i could just go to home depot and nail some boards together, but it wouldn't look too pretty.

I built a 5" stand to put my Sat box and DVD player under. I just built it out of 3/4 " MDF and wrapped it with black vinyl. It looks pretty nice. I would think you could do the same to house a center channel.
post #20 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 AM

Another HTPC question.

Someone said here that the MCE HTPC he hooked up looked beautiful at 1024*768. How do you mean by that? Is the image a square 4:3, or is it 16:9 due to "rectangular pixels"? I hope someone can clear this up for me as I am looking to pick pne up and this will be one of its primary functions.

Meaning are there black bars when running the HTPC to it at 1024*768?

Also if someone can explain how rectangular pixels can keep a 4:3 resolution signal look unstretched and fill the screen, please help me out. I cant seem to get this concept.

Sorry for the newb questions.
post #21 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradesp
So let's focus on the unit's performance, which is what most of us are now must interested in learning more about!
bradesp
No mention of model "e", but the Feb 2005 of Home Theater Magazine has a review that basically compares the:
Vizio P42HD, LG RU42PX11, Panasonic TH42PD25

P.S. For those interested in contrast ratio and black level performance I add them to the chart found here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 AM

I know this topic was brought up in a past thread but I was curious what wall mount solutions are available for this display. I remember reading that the mount that the company manufactures sits 10 inches from the wall once everything is said and done. That's pathetic. Is that accurate and do any of you have suggestions? Thanks in advance...
post #23 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 AM

No black bars when I run my HTPC at 800x600 all the way up to 1280x1024.

The PC display looks crystal clear. Best at native resolution.
No problem at all. Text/color is crisp and clear.
This was the biggest difference from my ED version.

Regarding SD quality.
I've got Adelphia HD cable w/ Atlanta Scientific 8300 set top.

The SD channels look better on the Vizio than my ED set.
The contrast ratio on the Vizio is far better than my previous set.
IMHO, contrast ratio is king in picture quality.
I've heard that all along, but now I see it.
post #24 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by semigolfer
No mention of model "e", but the Feb 2005 of Home Theater Magazine has a review that basically compares the:
Vizio P42HD, LG RU42PX11, Panasonic TH42PD25

P.S. For those interested in contrast ratio and black level performance I add them to the chart found here
Getting past all the technical jargon, it appears that the Vizio's contrast ratio is worse than the Panasonic's?

Could you post any other details of the review? The clock is ticking for many of us, so getting the real dirt on the set ASAP would be helpful. TIA!
post #25 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM

Kind of interesting to see the LG RU-42PX11 rated at 5000:1 contrast ratio ended up with a revised CR of 403 whereas the VINC P42HD 3000:1 CR ended up at 230. I wonder what the new P42HDe would measure at since it supposedly uses LG glass and is now commercially rated at 5000:1?

Also, does anyone understand why brands typically rate the EDTV models with a higher contrast ratio than their similarly branded HDTV models (typically by +1000)? For example, an EDTV Panasonic TH42PD25 is rated at 4000:1, while the HDTV Panasonic TH42PX25 is 3000:1 contrast ratio?
I understand the pixels are smaller on an HDTV versus an EDTV so maybe it has to do with the smaller pixels not being able to generate the wider range between white and black versus a larger pixel?

It is also weird that the HDTV Panasonic TH42PX25 is commercially rated at 3000:1 and the EDTV Panasonic TH42PD25 is rated at 4000:1, but the revised measured contrast ratio is 813 and 810 respectively. A dead heat... And then contrarily, the ANSI measured CR for these units is 780 and 998 respectively? Very confusing...

post #26 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxximtl
Could you post any other details of the review? The clock is ticking for many of us, so getting the real dirt on the set ASAP would be helpful. TIA!
If you've been visiting the forum long enough you know that each plasma has its strengths and its weaknesses. I'm not sure how many snippets I can provide before I violate some copyright infringement. But if I were spending over $2k on a TV - spending $13 for an annual subscription (or even $5 for this lone issue) seems prudent.

But here's one additional phrase:
"Each panelist favorite changed almost on a source-by-source basis. What it came down to in the end was that the Vizio processing wasn't as good as that of the LG, and it's black level and noise were worse than those of the other two. These factors weren't offset, as far as our panelists were concerned, by the higher detail level and the lower cost."

Home Theater magazine does a decent review (not the most detailed, but poignant), and they score each unit, on Build Quality, Value, Features, Performance, and Ergonomics all encapsulated in an Overall Rating. Plus they provide some decent lab measurements. The Vizio came in last overall - several points behind the other two with Panasonic narrowly getting the edge - mostly because of that industry leading black level.

post #27 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Nelson
I built a 5" stand to put my Sat box and DVD player under. I just built it out of 3/4 " MDF and wrapped it with black vinyl. It looks pretty nice. I would think you could do the same to house a center channel.
That sounds like a nice solution. Any chance you can post a pic of your stand? I'm not the most handy at building stuff so a pic would be useful. :)
post #28 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 09:56 AM

The only reason I asked for the additional info. is that my local stores do not carry Home Theater Magazine. It's not something I can get easily.

I do appreciate you taking the time to type out the details. I guess I will have to weigh my options a little more carefully now.
post #29 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by semigolfer

But here's one additional phrase:
"Each panelist favorite changed almost on a source-by-source basis. What it came down to in the end was that the Vizio processing wasn't as good as that of the LG, and it's black level and noise were worse than those of the other two. These factors weren't offset, as far as our panelists were concerned, by the higher detail level and the lower cost."

I'm certain they did not review the new "e" model (this review likely took place no later than late November / early December so they could get to print with this latest issue) That said, If they we're to review the newer model I suspect the Vizio scores would come up some because of improved black levels, however the electronics look to be the same, so issues regarding noise are likely to persist with the new model. I wonder though if improved black levels would have changed the reviewers perceptive on the value proposition of the Vizio at this price point?
post #30 of 1829 Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aircasper
That sounds like a nice solution. Any chance you can post a pic of your stand? I'm not the most handy at building stuff so a pic would be useful. :)
Send me a PM with your email address and I will take some pics tonight and send them to you.

Dave
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page