DisplaySearch just released their 4Q numbers. 1.2M panels shipped !!
AUSTIN, TEXAS, February 14, 2005â€”DisplaySearch, the worldwide leader in flat panel display (FPD) market research and consulting, reported in its Q1'05 Quarterly PDP Module and TV Shipment and Forecast Report that PDP modules exceeded expectations by 3% in Q4'04, rising 37% Q/Q and 98% Y/Y to a record 1.2M panels. This stronger than expected growth can be attributed to strong holiday and Super Bowl demand, supported by lower pricing and rising interest in flat panel TVs and HDTVs. Blended PDP module ASPs fell at a double-digit rate in Q4'04 for the third consecutive quarter, resulting in a 23% Q/Q and 31% Y/Y increase in revenues to a record $1.2B.
For the year, PDP module shipments to the TV and Public Display markets rose 107% to 3.6M panels, with revenues rising 51% to $4.3B and with blended ASPs down 27%. Additional highlights from the latest report include the following:
* The 42"-43" share rose from 73% to a record high 76% as demand responds to new price points. The <40" segment dropped from 13% to 11%, while the 46"+ market remained flat at 13%. 50" and 42"-43" were the two fastest growing categories and were the only segments to gain share.
* 42" 480p reached a 54% share in Q4'04, a record high, on strong demand outside of Japan. Four out of five PDP TVs sold in Japan offer HD compatibility while only four out of ten PDP TVs sold in North America and Europe are HD capable. As a result, HD PDP modules fell from a 42% to a 41% share in Q4'04.
* Samsung SDI, LGE, Matsu****a and Pioneer all enjoyed impressive growth in Q4'04, up at least 31% Q/Q. The rankings remained the same as last quarter with Samsung SDI leading followed by LGE, Matsu****a, FHP and Pioneer.
* While Samsung SDI remained #1 in TVs, Matsu****a continued to lead in Public Displays.
* Korea's share of shipments exceeded 50% for the first time, reaching 52%. Its TV module unit share reached 54% with its Public Display share at 27%.
* On a revenue basis, LGE overtook Samsung SDI due to its greater emphasis on higher resolutions and larger sizes.
* By size, FHP led at 32", 37" HD, 42"-43" HD and 55", Matsu****a led at 37" 480p, Samsung SDI led at 42" 480p, Pioneer led at 50", and LGE led at 60-65".DisplaySearch Reports Plasma Panel Shipments Exceeded Q4'04 Expectations