Wow! New Dell 24" FP - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #541 of 558 Old 08-31-2005, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, its time for a new computer and I decided to check out the dell website sinces they usually have some killer deals. Well, in the small business section they have buy a 9100 and get a FREE 24" LCD Widescreen, OMG. Ok, so now what video card do I get? I plan on buying a ATI HDTV Wonder and watching some OTA Tv on it and movies, but also to use it as a computer monitor. I have read all the mixed reviews saying dont buy this for watching tv or its just fine for tv as long as you have the right hardware. Well, help me out, I think I will upgrade to the nvidia card and surround sound and click buy, does this sound like a steal? Base price 1200 and you get a 100 rebate!

My goodness, Dell is ripping people off, or at least not being honest about their PROMO's, Now, I just went to the website, and the same promo ending today has a different price, they jacked it up $129, so wrong, now I think I am going to wait and just buy an LCD TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 558 Old 10-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you have this problem as well? When I watch a movie or any multimedia file in full screen, the right edge of the screen would flash non-stop. Does this happen to you guys? Thanks.
post #543 of 558 Old 10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

bump
post #544 of 558 Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you have this problem as well? When I watch a movie or any multimedia file in full screen, the right edge of the screen would flash non-stop. Does this happen to you guys? Thanks.
Do you have any kind of menu bar docked to the right edge under window desktop?
post #545 of 558 Old 10-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33
Do you have any kind of menu bar docked to the right edge under window desktop?
I think MSN may have caused that, but for some odd reason, the problem occurred only with my .ts files. All other files doesn't have that issue.
post #546 of 558 Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens
I've had mine installed for 24 hours now and I LOVE it. Absolutely outstanding in almost every way. Even at 1920X1200 the text on word files and email is easy to read. I was worried my eyes would be strained, but they are not. DVD playback using my PC is perfect. No complaints at all. I have not tried any games yet.

IS the USB Hub in this thing 2.0? It doesn't say in the documentation.

By the way, using Dead Pixel Buddy I found one pixel that on the black screen looks grayish white. It is impossible to see otherwise, so I cannot complain at all.
yeah they're usb 2.0.

one annoying thing about my 2005, dunno if it exists on the 2405 too, but the USB ports in the back have to be filled before the ones on the side will work, for some reason, and the ones in the back are a pain to get to because they're right up against the DVI connector. otherwise no complaints at all, great monitor :).
post #547 of 558 Old 10-05-2005, 02:59 PM

The side USB works fine on their own on the 2405
post #548 of 558 Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 AM

I've had this monitor for 6 weeks now and I think it's great. Everything about it just seems to be well designed.

I can say gaming on this device is like nothing I've ever experienced. The 1900x1200 resolution will blow you away if you've never seen it (make sure you have a graphics card that supports this resolution or you will be missing out).

I've also posted a review at my site CY Report. Just search for the Dell 24" LCD.
post #549 of 558 Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 PM

i have found this unit at COSTCO and it includes a 3 year REPLACEMENT warranty.

thinking about buying it, been reading this thread, and its a bit outdated, wondered how everyone felt who has stepped up to this unit

any feedback would be appreciated

im a 15 year netadmin now own my own computer company, and i have always told my clients, if there is one thing you dont skimp on its your INTERFACE to the computer. and i follow suit too....
this will be replacing my old 22" widescreen SUN (sony) CRT that has after 5 years, finally showed that its unwilling to run much further..
thanks for any input

-A
post #550 of 558 Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM

I have noticed that they also are offering a 20.1" unit that is of the same specs.

would be curious to know if anyone has acutally verified that it is a 12ms refresh on this unit.. itching to buy one, but i wanted some positve feedback from the 'professionals' first

thanks all for your input, always loved this forum and continue to do so.. you all rock.

thanks in advance for your responses

-A
post #551 of 558 Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog

thinking about buying it, been reading this thread, and its a bit outdated, wondered how everyone felt who has stepped up to this unit

im a 15 year netadmin now own my own computer company, and i have always told my clients, if there is one thing you dont skimp on its your INTERFACE to the computer. and i follow suit too....
this will be replacing my old 22" widescreen SUN (sony) CRT that has after 5 years, finally showed that its unwilling to run much further..
thanks for any input

-A

The 24" Dell that I bought back in April is still kicking butt. I love the monitor and would not ever go back down to a regular 4:3 screen again.
post #552 of 558 Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM

I have both the 2405fpw and 2005fpw hooked up to my Mac and love them both. I have been using them for about six months. Great monitors.
post #553 of 558 Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 PM

I have both the 2005fpw and 2005fp and both are great as well. The fpw does seem to have more vibrant colors though. I'm not really sure how else to explain it.
post #554 of 558 Old 12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog

thanks for any input

-A
I have this monitor. I use it exclusively for video - mostly HD stuff. It's my mini HD monitor. It is a beutiful monitor, great picture etc. As far as the price, not sure you couldn't do better buying it directly from Dell, if you pay attention for deals.
post #555 of 558 Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
eh?

Hey morpho - if you are still around checking on this thread - were you able to change the offset/gain settings in the service menu? It just seems to jump over those for me.

I just calibrated mine, using a Spyder2PRo colorimeter, and the settings that worked for me were pretty close to the monitors sRGB default settings

brightness/backlight = 50
contrast = fixed for DVI
R=34
G=40
B=20

This gave me a gamma of 2.23, a colour temp pretty darn close to 6500k across the board (6400-6600), and Delta E's of around 1... can't ask for too much better than that... except I notice that the green is a little outside the sRGB colour space (x=.268, y=.603) - but the blue and red are almost bang on. Firmware is version 2.0 on mine

It does look like they tweak these a bit coming out of the factory, as my factory settings are different than morpho's, so settings might not be transferable from person to person.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpho
No problem. However, I should reiterate that I use this primarily as a desktop monitor for digital image processing. To make this suitable for my needs, I have to reduce the black level since I'm only sitting 2 feet in front of it. As a video monitor, you'll want to maximize contrast ratio where you sit further back from the screen.

Display
Firmware: V1.8
Brightness = 25
Contrast = (fixed) dvi

Color Settings: User Preset
<edited> R=34 G=50 B=40

(Gain/Bias adj.)
Factory Settings (service menu) default settings
Offset1 R=38 G=24 B=31
Offset2 R=52 G=47 B=43
Gain R=239 G=252 B=252

Blue Preset R=31 G=80 B=79
Red Preset R=78 G=89 B=50
Normal Preset R=73 G=95 B=70

Desktop (ATI Catalyst)
Gamma Adjustment
R=0,85 B=0.90 G=0.90
Brightness
RGB=100 -no change
Contrast
R= -95 G=100 B=100

Additional Notes:
-These settings only apply to the above brightness settings. A small change in the brightness value alters the gamma and the grayscale tracking.
-ATI gamma only allows for 1/2 increment adjustments . A 0.5 difference in gamma value alters the grayscale tracking considerably.
-Gain/bias are all factory default settings. Be careful when making changes to any of the factory settings as you can lock your display device.
-If doing your own adjustments, start with black level, grayscale and gamma last.

If you don't have calibration tools or charts, here's a few links with sample charts that can help with the black level, grayscale and gamma adjustments

compare_gamma - all 9 squares should be even gray at your preset gamma
compare_gamma_settings
gradient
another_gamma_test -both left and right side should be even gray at preset gamma
brighness and contrast charts

regards
morpho
post #556 of 558 Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Anyone else anticipating a significant price drop on the 2405 after the HDCP-enabled 2407 hits the market?
post #557 of 558 Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
Well,
No HDCP means not for use as anything but a PC monitor.

Seth
Deal breaker because alot of people would use this sort of monitor with a HTPC.
post #558 of 558 Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
To answer my own question, I just read on the Fatwallet forum that Dell will reportedly hold off on introducing the 2407 until all the 2405s are "gone". FWIW.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page