Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I would isolate this model from the general "new Benq LCDs" thread. I didn't even look at that thread for a couple of days. Little did I know what a possibly tasty morsel lurked within.

Yes it is the antithesis of elegance, but at least it doesn't have nondetachable side speakers! Crutchfield has an excellent return policy so I ordered last night. I received a call from Crutchfield this morning to confirm my order, supposed to be available April 1, freight company will call about delivery. Praying for good SD. Anybody else order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks to folks like you, taking the plunge sight unseen, we get to hear about the picture quality & connectivity without having to order. So thanks.

I spoke to Crutchfield yesterday and they said they'd only been taking orders for it since Tuesday, and already had 12 orders! It's popular.
post #3 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow, what a find! Please keep us posted on PQ on this beast!

I'd love to get one for the bedroom!

Troy

"Now that's how you supposed to drive!"
Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X
post #4 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I put in a call to BenQ, and the speakers are SEPARATE (also known as detachable) which means the actual width is 40.33" (as stated); that begs the question can I actually fit it into a 40" opening (why did they have to make the bezel so wide?).
As an aside, BenQ also told me that it would be shipping in May. I guess we'll see if Crutchfield is telling the truth.
I can't wait for these 37" 1080 panels to start coming out: some day I'm going to get one.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #5 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

It only accepts 1080i? How about 1080p? Can it be used as a computer monitor with a 1920x1080 desktop? Is it better than the Westinghouse? The wait is killing me, but I must remain patient. I must remain patient. I must remain patient. [[repeat in monotonous tone until I think of something else]]
post #6 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tommylotto
It only accepts 1080i? How about 1080p? Can it be used as a computer monitor with a 1920x1080 desktop? Is it better than the Westinghouse? The wait is killing me, but I must remain patient. I must remain patient. I must remain patient. [[repeat in monotonous tone until I think of something else]]
LOL

Robin, I can not wait for a review
post #7 of 185 Old 03-24-2005, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmlkoho
LOL

Robin, I can not wait for a review
Gulp; the pressure is on.
post #8 of 185 Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not gonna find Nirvana anytime soon -- unless this display is really good. I just ordered one too. It probably won't ship till May or June when a bunch of other 1080p 37" displays are out. I ordered the 37" 1080p Syntax from Target months ago. It shipped and I was even given a tracking number, but it was all a mistake. It was delivered to the other side of the country to somebody else and was a 30". My ordered was canceled of course. So, I'll believe that a 37" 1080p panel exists when I plug it in, but hope burns eternal.
post #9 of 185 Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I just ordered one too. It just occured to me: the shipping date had better not be an April Fool's joke...
post #10 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 02:47 AM

why would Crutchfield be the only reseller in the us to receive these products. It doen't work this way. The product is announced. They place an order- usually much higher than they expect to receive because they know that the product will be on allocation. They ship the allocated models to all the resellers who have it on order. Crutchfield is the only company to place it on their web site so far. Wait and see. When we have ample supply, then they fill all the backorders and guess what, Crutchfields either cancels and says wow, or they are over their flooring company credit line which stops the order in it's tracks, or they end up with a over supply of products. If they have an over supply, so does everybody else, and you know what happens, all discount to move the product= they blow it out... too many years in the business knowing how it works. If one company gets it, then you will see the product available at other resellers. Take it from an old Apple dealer.

Mark
post #11 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by markanth
why would Crutchfield be the only reseller in the us to receive these products. It doen't work this way.
Sometimes it DOES work this way. One store can get an exclusive on a product in exchange for something else.

But I agree that it does look a little odd. If it were really an exclusive deal, they'd probably mention that on the site. Unless whatever the promotion is wasn't supposed to start until 4/1.
post #12 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 700
This comes up in a two-click process from the homepage.

Suggesting it's not kosher at Crutchfield without some evidence seems a bit weird.

Especially given that $500 more was definitely going to be a real price from another vendor for a similar display -- that other vendor (Westinghouse) had announced the price at CES.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #13 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 03:56 PM

Benq has alot of dealers. Can you imagine the phone calls Benq would get from other dealers if they gave an exclusive only to Crutchfield for a product that is in such demand...... afterall they are not Costco. Think about it?

One other thing about electronics, for products with the same specs-prices never go up, they always come down.

Mark
post #14 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Benq has alot of dealers. Can you imagine the phone calls Benq would get from other dealers if they gave an exclusive only to Crutchfield for a product that is in such demand...... afterall they are not Costco. Think about it?
I agree, it doesn't sound like it makes sense. But if BenQ thinks it makes sense, it's something they could do.

Quote:
One other thing about electronics, for products with the same specs-prices never go up, they always come down.
I hate to be a nag, but this is incorrect too. I know from personal experience on the computer monitor I bought. Again, it does happen, so never say never.
post #15 of 185 Old 03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Crutchfield needs early info on products if they are going to get into the print catalogs, which tend to have long lead times.

When the TV is actually shipping from anyone, I'm sure it'll quickly be shipping from more than one vendor.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #16 of 185 Old 03-27-2005, 11:26 AM

you would be the only one I know who would have paid more for a computer monitor today than you would have paid for the same monitor 12 month earlier.

Might have some swamp land to sell you.

Thanks, Mark
post #17 of 185 Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

It seems that the expected arrival date has changed from 4/1 to 5/15. Is that because you all ordered up the first shipment, or because the production schedule has slipped?
post #18 of 185 Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Something is amiss given the price delta between the two sizes -- 32 and 37.

And before anyone says, "Well they have to honor the price if you order now" CDW held an order of mine for months and then canceled it saying the price was invalid.

post #19 of 185 Old 03-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Trust me. It will be far cheaper for them to honor the price than to dishonor it.
post #20 of 185 Old 03-28-2005, 08:36 PM

I seriously think I'm going to take the plunge and order this. I don't know if I should pre-order or wait for release/competition.

Then again, if demand is high enough I see no reason why retailers wouldn't start up'ping the bill for it (regardless of MSRP) until the market levels out, perhaps many months or a year later. Maybe the pre-order is the way to go? If they cancel the order to raise the price, so be it. I read somewhere that the MSRP will be around $2500, which still isn't bad for what this puppy packs, even though it doesn't include dual tuners and a bunch of the other fluff that I really wouldn't mind having in a high-tech set.

Crutchfield has historically been known to have some of the highest prices on the web for current gear (usually no lower than full MSRP). Would they really have enough competition out there for someone else to offer this at a lower price any time soon? There's almost no talk of this 37-incher out there at all. No pre-release review deliveries either, that I can find. I don't think there are many other etailers or retailers ramping up for the intense demand that a break-through unit like this can potentially create.

As for the difference in price between this and the big brother, if I read correctly, the higher-priced model is not only HUGE for an LCD to begin with (which would exponentially increase its cost alone) but it also includes a built-in HDTV receiver and other mimicky gizmos that will add to its price.

The 37" unit is a gamble I'm ready to take. Would make a wonderful 2nd room TV with no technological obsolescence in near sight. I think I'm going to go for it.

Cheers!
-HiAmp
post #21 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 03:32 AM

Quote:

Mark
I am also must disagree with this statement. While in general this is true, but not always and not all the time.
Prices on electronics DO come up and may stay higher for a significantly long periods.
There was a time a couple years ago when street prices on then current models of LCD monitors went up and stayed at that level for about a year. This is happened for a several reasons, one of them - high manufacturers cost of parts at that time. As been said price fluctuates with the season demand also.

The same thing with the digital cameras every year. Manufacturers usually release a bunch of new models early spring.
Prices drop within a weeks when new cameras hit the shelves, and than heats up the summer, so do prices.
There is useful instrument on the streetprices.com called PriceGraph.
Here is an example for Syntax 32" LCD . The graph speaks for itself.

This new BenQ 1080 LCD looks like a big deal now since there will be a huge demand. Brave people buy it unseen.
There is some risk though as Crutchfield usually sell at MSRP.

--
post #22 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 09:00 AM

when can we expect an official review out? I'm considering placing a pre-order, i can always cancle it if like by the end of the day most reviews say the Sharp is still better. Whats Crutfields satisfaction guarrentee also? Can we return the product if we are unsatisfied with its performance?

post #23 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pagusas
Whats Crutfields satisfaction guarrentee also? Can we return the product if we are unsatisfied with its performance?
Yes, but you would have to pay for return shipping on this big set.
post #24 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM

Crutchfield said they have an ETA of May 15, 2005 for these to arrive. FYI

-HiAmp
post #25 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 10:49 AM

I notice the MSRP for this model is $5599.99
post #26 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM

I ordered one yesterday, and can confirm that they estimate 5/15 for delivery.

That's gonna be a long 6 weeks!!!
post #27 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chopkins
I notice the MSRP for this model is $5599.99
Where did you notice that? Curious.

I haven't been able to find hardly any resourceful information out there but a couple that I did find: one said MSRP $1999 and the other discussed the MSRP at the time of the Winter CES was $2499. Not sure whom to go with.

If the actual MSRP is $5600, I HIGHLY doubt Crutchfield would sell it for any less. Just want to confirm.
post #28 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 01:10 PM

post #29 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Even though it will take 480p and 720p signals, does anyone know what it does with these? Does it convert them to 1080i? or will they stay progressive?
post #30 of 185 Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadyInCA
Even though it will take 480p and 720p signals, does anyone know what it does with these? Does it convert them to 1080i? or will they stay progressive?
Everything is upconverted to 1080p
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page