Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 243 Old 05-02-2005, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Official Panny PX50/500 thread is getting pretty full, so I wanted to start one focused specifically on the differences between these two models. Like several others, I'm considering whether to go with the PX50 now that it's out, or wait the extra month or two for the PX500 and it's extra features. Knowing exactly what the PX500 does or doesn't have in relation to the PX50 would be really helpful in this regard.

To summarize the differences that I'm aware of so far:

- PX500 has Electronic Program Guide; PX50 doesn't.
- PX500 has SD Memory Card slot; PX50 doesn't.
- PX500 has photo viewer; PX50 doesn't.
- PX500 has PCMCIA slot; PX50 doesn't.
- PX500 has PC input; PX50 doesn't.

Differences I'm not sure have been confirmed:
- PX500 has two RF inputs; PX50 only has one.

Features reported on Japanese PX500 model; unsure if these will also be available in US model:
- PX500 has dual ATSC tuners (Japanese model); PX50 has a single ATSC tuner.
- PX500 has split-screen capability, including dual display of HD content, but no PIP (Japanese model); PX50 has no PIP or split-screen.
- PX500 can stretch/zoom HD content (Japanese model); PX50 has no HD stretch/zoom capability.

If there are any other differences I'm missing, please post them. I'm particularly interested in what picture settings and adjustments the PX500 might have that the PX50 doesn't.

Updated information on HD stretch/zoom capability in Japanese model

I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 625
In Japan, I believe the HD tuners are called BS tuners. They are not ATSC, that's for sure. I would not extrapolate anything about US capabilities from a Japanese model as these are nearly always different.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #3 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 AM

I'm in the same boat as far as deciding which 50" plasma to get now. Two quick questions:

*What does the "Electronic Program Guide" feature get you? Will it be helpful if you're using the plasma with the Comcast DVR? (I believe it'll be a Motorola 6412).

*How does the TH-50PHD7UY compare with these models? I know it's a generation back, and is the commercial version and hence doesn't include speakers or tuner, but isn't the greater configurability (with the slots) an advantage? Anyone have any insight how the picture quality and performance will compare??
post #4 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know the dimensions of the PX500 yet? It looks to be different from the PX50 and could be significantly wider...
post #5 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 12:29 PM

From the Japanese page, I calculated it to be: 52.25x33.2x3.86in, 52KG
I assume that the US version will be the same size as the Japanese...
post #6 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsm42
*How does the TH-50PHD7UY compare with these models? I know it's a generation back, and is the commercial version and hence doesn't include speakers or tuner, but isn't the greater configurability (with the slots) an advantage? Anyone have any insight how the picture quality and performance will compare??
From what we know, the numbers of full-time colors is identical. So is the time to half brightness.

So if the glass is pretty close, and it seems to be, the commercial unit should give you a greater ability to adapt to program availability as years go by. OTOH, there was a difference between the 6UYs and the 7UYs as far as compatibility of blades (HDMI, if I recall). I believe they would fit in the slot, but they wouldn't work in the older models.
post #7 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks dsm42, I was afraid of that...the 50" will be too wide for my cabinet...can you discern the dimensions of the 42"? I hate to ask again but I do appreciate any help you can give.
post #8 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 PM

I copied and pasted the table from the translated japanese page below. Sorry for the poor formatting, but in any case, the 42PX500 dimensions are: 113.8×73.0×9.8 cm...

TH-50PX500 TH-42PX500 TH-37PX500
Type (aspect ratio) 50V type (16: 9) 42V type (16: 9) 37V type (16: 9)
Substance size width × height × depth
[ All lower part largest depths 13.8 ] 132.7×84.3×9.8 cm 113.8×73.0×9.8 cm 103.8×67.0×9.8 cm
Mass (approximately) 52.0kg 40.0kg 35.0kg
Electric power consumption () inside when
waiting electric power consumption 475 (approximately 0.1) W 355 (approximately 0.1) W 295 (approximately 0.1) W
Annual electric power consumption quantity*
1 449kWh/ year 331kWh/ year 250kWh/ year
post #9 of 243 Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

dsm, when used with a DVR, the TV's electronic program guide is rendered irrelevant. The DVR has its own guide built in and you have to use that to manipulate the DVR anyway. So that feature would be nearly useless to use unless you also got a CableCard for the set so you could watch a third program while recording two on the DVR... Not a common occurence, I'd bet.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #10 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

I was right....the PX500 is about 2.5" wider than the PX50. I take that to mean that the speakers are still on the side in the PX500 sets. I wonder if that means that the sound will be better than the PX50 ?
post #11 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 AM

"I was right....the PX500 is about 2.5" wider than the PX50. I take that to mean that the speakers are still on the side in the PX500 sets. I wonder if that means that the sound will be better than the PX50 ?"

Hopefully they're removable, can't tell from any of the pictures available. Were the last generation's?
post #12 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good catch!

I just went back to page one of the new Panny braindump, and for sure the side bezels look wider, while the lower bezel looks much narrower/shorter (in relation to the 42PX50 photo).
post #13 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 AM

I believe Panasonic may have used the ONYX series format which include side speakers for the 500Us.
post #14 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm getting close to a purchase but have some lingering questions. Can anyone tell me about stretch modes and PIP capabilities with the PX500U vs PX50U? Any opinions as to why I should go with the 500U over the 50U (taking money out of the equation)?

Thanks...:)
post #15 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Check the last half dozen pages of the braindump thread.

I think I remember reading some discussion of your very question.
post #16 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Ability to stretch pillar-boxed upconverts on a digital channel, PIP, dual tuners, cablecard, and I think VGA (computer) input. Not sure about menus and user adjustability options to dial the set in better. Seems like it would be worth another $200 or so but MSRP appears to be $500 more from what I saw at Tweeter.

Let me know if any B&M stores are due to get these in so I can take a look.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
post #17 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dupe thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=536023

post #18 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it might be worth the extra for the PX500U just for the stretch modes and side-by-side display capability.
post #19 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 477
threads merged :)

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #20 of 243 Old 05-04-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
Ability to stretch pillar-boxed upconverts on a digital channel,
I'll believe it when I see it on a US model.
post #21 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Side speakers on the 500X. Can't believe I missed it in looking at the pics but I think that looks correct based on the early pcs. I think that has to be a noticable improvement in sound.

Can anyone comment on any experiences with side vs. lower mounted speakers?

My wife and kids won't be using a surround sound system for normal watching, and I won't be using it that often, so getting good sound directly from the TV would be very nice.

I'm not really too concerned about the lack of ability to stretch or PIP. I'm going to be using a Comcast set top box which includes PIP and zoom and stretch modes so its not an issue for me. I also don't think the additional PC aspects make it worth the wait, although if the relatively small increase in price for the 500 over the 50 is correct, they are nice features to have. I'm ready to buy today and was counting the days until the 50x came out. Been reading and hoping that no major knocks were discovered in the first few days; seems like its good to go. But the side speakers seem to me to be worth further thought. I'm almost certainly buying from TVAuthority, read enough good things plus the pixel perfect guarantee, but they are out of stock at the moment. If it takes them a couple of weeks to get more in, we are edging close the to 500X release date. Since the 50X and 50D came out right around the 28th of the target month release, that means June 28 for the 500X. I know if I pull the trigger on the 50X, in 6 months I'll be a little bummed for not having the 500X and will swear I should have waited. But having to wait another month plus is going to kill me......
post #22 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pgrokkos
Side speakers on the 500X. Can't believe I missed it in looking at the pics but I think that looks correct based on the early pcs. I think that has to be a noticable improvement in sound.

Can anyone comment on any experiences with side vs. lower mounted speakers?

My wife and kids won't be using a surround sound system for normal watching, and I won't be using it that often, so getting good sound directly from the TV would be very nice.

I'm not really too concerned about the lack of ability to stretch or PIP. I'm going to be using a Comcast set top box which includes PIP and zoom and stretch modes so its not an issue for me. I also don't think the additional PC aspects make it worth the wait, although if the relatively small increase in price for the 500 over the 50 is correct, they are nice features to have. I'm ready to buy today and was counting the days until the 50x came out. Been reading and hoping that no major knocks were discovered in the first few days; seems like its good to go. But the side speakers seem to me to be worth further thought. I'm almost certainly buying from TVAuthority, read enough good things plus the pixel perfect guarantee, but they are out of stock at the moment. If it takes them a couple of weeks to get more in, we are edging close the to 500X release date. Since the 50X and 50D came out right around the 28th of the target month release, that means June 28 for the 500X. I know if I pull the trigger on the 50X, in 6 months I'll be a little bummed for not having the 500X and will swear I should have waited. But having to wait another month plus is going to kill me......
I was basically in the same boat as you until I "pulled the trigger" on a PX50U last Sunday. I really like the bottom speaker arrangement because it does not detract from the panel itself. Of course, I'm assuming the side speakers on the 500U will be detachable. In terms of sound output.... it's nothing to 'rave' about but at 8W per channel I wasn't expecting much. With my 50" panel I prefer to use my Onkyo 6.1 DD sound system to try and obtain as much of that "Home Theater" experience as possible. The speakers, pedestal stand, tuner & CableCARD will make it easy to move this panel from the family room to the bedroom someday. While I agree the additional features of the 500U are desirable, I decided I'll use my TV to watch TV and my PC (with analogue TV tuner card) as a computer. I waited 6 months before buying a PDP and now that I've made a purchase commitment, I'm going to enjoy watching it and not worry about what else I could have bought or the next BIG thing coming out... Well, "that's my story... and I'm sticking to it!":D
post #23 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The speakers on the 500U won't be detachable. They're attached to the bezel. I would expect them to sound about the same, though I prefer the side mount since it makes the TV look wider and provides better stereo separation. I also prefer the glossier bezel.

The rumored HD stretch modes, PC input, and programming guide would be enough reasons for me to hold out if I were on the market. Who knows what other little tweaks it might offer. Just depends what you value.

BTW Optivity - That screen shot of Desparate Housewives was very impressive! The enhanced color palette appears to really offer excellent smooth images. I'm sure it's jawdropping in person.

Cory
post #24 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by housecor
The speakers on the 500U won't be detachable. They're attached to the bezel. I would expect them to sound about the same, though I prefer the side mount since it makes the TV look wider and provides better stereo separation. I also prefer the glossier bezel.

The rumored HD stretch modes, PC input, and programming guide would be enough reasons for me to hold out if I were on the market. Who knows what other little tweaks it might offer. Just depends what you value.

BTW Optivity - That screen shot of Desparate Housewives was very impressive! The enhanced color palette appears to really offer excellent smooth images. I'm sure it's jawdropping in person.
HD rendering on this panel is 'spectacular,' without any attempt at calibration and having the video settings turned down during the break in period. I really enjoyed watching "Lost" last night on the PDP. Too bad for me I'm a BIG NY Giants football fan... I'm really looking forward to watching NFL football on my panel this Fall (although I don't want to miss the spring & summer months) but once the "G-men" begin to "stink" up the field... well, that provides a lot of incentive to go out and do something productive instead.... like raking up the leaves.:mad:
post #25 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 12:41 PM

I just saw both the 42" and 50" PX50 models on display at Fry's in Renton, WA last night. IMO, the best picture there.

I am holding out for either the 50PX500 or the new Samsung 55" plasma coming at the end of May. Does anyone know if the stand, shown on all pictures of the PX500 series models that I have seen, comes standard?
post #26 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhfnet
I just saw both the 42" and 50" PX50 models on display at Fry's in Renton, WA last night. IMO, the best picture there.

I am holding out for either the 50PX500 or the new Samsung 55" plasma coming at the end of May. Does anyone know if the stand shown on all pictures of the PX500 series models that I have seen, comes standard and if so, can the display be used separately or is it integrated?
I've never seen a stand that couldn't be removed. I believe in most cases they come disattached in the box.

There should be a whole bunch of options offered by stands manufacturers.

Happy hunting.

Bob
post #27 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 PM

The 500 arrived today at a major distributorship here on LI NY, not to break any rules but from a cost perspective, the is only a $100.00 difference between that and the 50 version.
post #28 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM

If the 42PX500U is going to be 2.5" wider than the 42PX50U, then that might be a problem for me!!!!! The widest I can go is 44.5, so this may not fit. Hopefully the Japanese specs are slightly off from the U.S. version. I would like to have the extra features, but could do with out and also save some $$ in the long run for the new Pioneer DVR 633H.
post #29 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 02:01 PM

I've searched this with no luck, but does anyone have the height of the 42 PX50 with the stand attached? I believe I remember @ 30" but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
post #30 of 243 Old 05-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood53
The 500 arrived today at a major distributorship here on LI NY, not to break any rules but from a cost perspective, the is only a $100.00 difference between that and the 50 version.
Thats awesome news!
Where they set up ?
42 or 50" ?
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page