Rainbow Effect on Panny PX50 Plasma - is sub-pixel controller to blame? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 140 Old 11-12-2005, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hmmm, it is *not* just limited to Panasonics, and only *some* people are sensitive to it.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 11-12-2005, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I was looking at a PX50U in Circuit City yesterday and could have sworn i seen the Loch Ness Monster.
post #123 of 140 Old 11-12-2005, 06:11 AM

Liked: 12
Were you pro-active enough to turn off color management?
post #124 of 140 Old 11-12-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
Hmmm, it is *not* just limited to Panasonics, and only *some* people are sensitive to it.
True, but "Panny" is mentioned in the thread title and "some" could be a substantial percentage. I guess we'll never know how many people observed the "effect" on PDPs while viewing them at BMs and decided not to buy because of it, or otherwise don't post their experiences here.

I have noticed that the "effect" is more pronounced with certain material. For example, Danny Elfman's "Forbidden Zone" DVD, which is in B&W, has produced this "effect" which everyone I had view it can see thru the entire DVD. That 100% of about 30 people. On other material, it shows up rarely, even for my sensitive eyes/brain.
post #125 of 140 Old 11-13-2005, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"some" could be a substantial percentage
I doubt it. More people see the changing black level issue, and yet Panasonic is still selling tons of them.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #126 of 140 Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I doubt it. More people see the changing black level issue, and yet Panasonic is still selling tons of them.
I looked for this "RBE" type thing on my 50PX50U but couldn't find it. Maybe it's a defective unit or it could also be associated with how close the viewing distance is. Folks with their noses to the screen so-to-speak will obviously tend to notice more artifacts with whatever type display they have. I also don't notice changing black levels FYI. I thought I was seeing the black level thing on ESPN HD football for a while, but turns out it's inherent to the broadcast as I see the same thing on SD ESPN football with my CRT's in the house.

My viewing distance is around 14 ft....
post #127 of 140 Old 11-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Just to chime in, I have seen this on my Fujitsu P50(40). I can clearly see it at the beginning of chapter 5 in Master and Commander. It is a shot where the camera is moving and there is also fast movement of the characters in the frame. I can see yellow flashes.

Since the Fujitsu 50 uses Panasonic glass, I'm wondering if that's a connection somehow.
post #128 of 140 Old 11-13-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Well...I guess we could parse this further and say that a certain percentage may see the "effect", but only a percentage of those find it bothersome. Same with the "changing black level". My guess is, for most, all the other good attributes of these PDP outweigh the shortcomings we're discussing here. Some people freak when they get a small dent in their new car and have to have it fixed immediately, others think it adds character and quickly put it out of mind. :)
post #129 of 140 Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmramos
Just to chime in, I have seen this on my Fujitsu P50(40). I can clearly see it at the beginning of chapter 5 in Master and Commander. It is a shot where the camera is moving and there is also fast movement of the characters in the frame. I can see yellow flashes.
that master and commander dvd must be a piece of crap transfer, because this guy is talking about it having flashes, other threads notice tons of macroblocking in it...sounds like a bad transfer to me.
post #130 of 140 Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Most likely has nothing to do with the dvd transfer. I own an HP 42PL00N (which is just a rebadged Panasonic) and I see rainbows on every thing I watch. Doesn't matter if it's SD, DVD or HD, the yellow/blue/orange rainbows are there. And it is a rainbow effect, very similar to what can be found on DLPs. This set's going back. Hopefully I don't see this on the Pioneer 4360 ... if I do .. it's back to the drawing board.

Oh, and I do see black-level shift but it's hardly something I'd return a set for.
post #131 of 140 Old 11-14-2005, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the more i hear about the pannys and the HP rebadges the more im deciding to just keep my vizio p50....
post #132 of 140 Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM

I can see also yellow flashes on my PX50, exactely described by E of 1, and lot of customers here in the french forum about Plasma Display have noticed this effect, a good picture for testing is Sin City, it's full of small yellow flashes due to the high contrasted B&W objects moving.
post #133 of 140 Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 AM

I have the TH-50PHD8UK, and like many others see the yellow flashes exactly as Empire has described. If you want to avoid temporal color distortions, best to stick with LCD or 3-chip DLP. If you use your HD set for gaming, 3-chip DLP is the best way to go as they do not have an RBE-like effect or pixel latency.
post #134 of 140 Old 02-18-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Im seeing rainbows on 50vizio plasma i have. Its pretty similar to dlp i had but slightly different. On dlp i seen rainbows only in very dark scenes. With the vizio it seems everyting with white i see flashes of colors in them. :mad:
post #135 of 140 Old 02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Will plasma be better than DLP if DLP gets rid of rainbows and Plasmas acquire them?
post #136 of 140 Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM

I have a pioneer 5060HD and also see the yellow/blue tracers (though mostly yellow) at all times. I'm watching the acadamy awards now and can see them during any scene.

Doug
post #137 of 140 Old 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM

I see this effect on my NEC 42XR4. For me, it is lime green and usually a result of moving my eyes (I first noticed it while watching a subtitled movie). I can sometimes induce blue as well, but that takes effort and thus is not a problem during regular viewing.

It is definitely a white/black issue, as colorful scenes look fine. Strangely, I didn't see much of it during the winter olympics, which featured mostly white backgrounds. Very dark movie scenes can be brutal.

It seems to get worse as the source quality decreases. I watched I Am Trying to Break Your Heart this weekend, which was shot in a grainy black and white, and the effect was very prominent. Standard definition TV is problematic too.

It is very frustrating/heartbreaking, but I am learning to live with it. Had I purchased the set from a local retailer, I would have returned it. Live and learn.
post #138 of 140 Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM

I actually see it as easilly on colors as I do with black and white. It's becoming more frustrating, as I can see them whenever I look from the left side of the set to the right and its beginning to distract from viewing. I've thought about replacing the set with an LCD, but it would be sad to pay for return shipping then see the same thing on the new tv.

Doug
post #139 of 140 Old 03-20-2006, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my plasma for maybe 2 months now, and while I haven't seen this effect yet (seems to be very user dependent), I'm afraid to look for it for fear I'll then see it all the time! :) (Kind of like the chroma bug.)

post #140 of 140 Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM

I went to a number of specialty stores and saw the yellow tracers on all the pioneers I viewed, but didnt see it on any of the samsungs. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend with a panasonic or two, will report back with what I find.

Doug
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page