Official 42" Plasma (OP-42TN2)-3G Technology (NO PRICING, FLYER, COUPON, ETC,TALK) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dianebrat - it's www dot aic dot com dot my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Smith
dianebrat - it's www dot aic dot com dot my
Hmm...
Something I've not seen before.
"1366 (H) x 768 (V)" is listed for the resolution of two if it's 42" Plasma TV's.

Wow... they must be way ahead of the curve. ;)

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Yeah, sorry about that, should be .my also, avsforum didnt let me post weblinks for the first 5 posts or something.

I guess they could be sister companies, one is in malaysia and one in korea, remote controls, manuals, everything is identical, and like i said they even use the same web graphics.

Could anyone comment on the lousy PIP support, is there any eay way to get a second TV signal in using the RGB / DVI ir component input?

/Chris
post #94 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 05:20 PM

Hi,

Anybody knows if this TV comes with rotating stand? If not, would it be hard to change?

Thanks!
post #95 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 07:52 PM

They may be using the same company to write the manuals for them.
Writing good manuals is not easy and easily outsourced task. A specialized manual writer will do a much better job at a much lower overall cost. It is likely that the same person is writing the manuals for both and reusing them :).

I also noticed that AIC does not have a 1025x768 resolution product for the NTSC market.
post #96 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Did you notice that five people who purchased the Techview at Tiger gave it 5 Star rating.... Take a look at some of their comments....

Speedman...
post #97 of 717 Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 PM

the techview is ED no HD like the display from pcconnection, they are not the same panel
post #98 of 717 Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the clarification on the dot_my it wasn't one I would have gotten myself

I had a hunch they were a related company..

From the About AIC page:
The display division, under AIC-MTN Corporation Sdn. Bhd., is a joint venture with a Korean partner which commenced operations in early 2004.

Anyone else want to guess that Orcom is that partner? :)

This thread has been invaluable to me..I wasn't sure I could afford to jump into a big set and have been oogling them, my budget was about $1200 and I've just had a feeling the cheap no name EDTVs would be my choice, it's nice to have a slightly higher caliber cheap HD set.

The link to the ED vs HD article was awesome!!! While I would get better performance from a solid name EDTV with good specs.. if it's between a cheap ED and cheap HD, the cheap HD was the wa to go.

Diane
post #99 of 717 Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered via web on 6/3/05. The email receipt shows shipping in 2 1/2 weeks, while the order tracking shows "backordered". Maybe if some of us who do not get it delivered right away, we will have a chance to read some reviews and cancel the order if the reviews are bad. I am not in any hurry, but I will post some sort of review ASAP to help out anyone. Please understand that while I can build and repair computers, I do not know alot about video, but I will try.
Any one that wants to drive to south Jersey to see it will be welcome. My kids don't bite [too hard].
I have digital cable now [to get the Disney channel], but will upgrade to HD as soon as it arrives.
post #100 of 717 Old 06-05-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
Thanks for the clarification on the dot_my it wasn't one I would have gotten myself

I had a hunch they were a related company..

From the About AIC page:
The display division, under AIC-MTN Corporation Sdn. Bhd., is a joint venture with a Korean partner which commenced operations in early 2004.

Anyone else want to guess that Orcom is that partner? :)

This thread has been invaluable to me..I wasn't sure I could afford to jump into a big set and have been oogling them, my budget was about $1200 and I've just had a feeling the cheap no name EDTVs would be my choice, it's nice to have a slightly higher caliber cheap HD set.

The link to the ED vs HD article was awesome!!! While I would get better performance from a solid name EDTV with good specs.. if it's between a cheap ED and cheap HD, the cheap HD was the wa to go.

Diane

That is interesting, must mean that Techviews model might be using the same LG panel as the Orcom, just that its ED instead of HD, it would still give us a decent idea of the PQ of the panel + chipset. Has anyone seen the Techview plasma first hand?

I also saw that target are selling the Techview brand, and they have the HD model P4204TWHD, which i would guess is identical to the orcom OP-42TN2. Unfourtunatly not available until 4-8 weeks, so we wont find anyone with this model yet.

/Chris
post #101 of 717 Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

I searched for 3G products at Newegg-dot-com and got a link to Gemstarusa-dot-com [I cannot port a url for the first five post as I am new at this site]. Gemstarusa is the 3G web site and has the specs of the 42 in plasma which are exactly the same as PCconnection. The picture also appears the same except for the speakers. There is no manual that I could find, but at least there are contact numbers and addresses as well as RMA service. I hope that this is some help. I am uncertain if I just repeated a previous post, so if I did, I am sorry.
post #102 of 717 Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM

Here's the link to 3G Technology Inc. Definitely the same panel.

link
post #103 of 717 Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM

I just couldn't buy it without seeing it or reading any reviews. Also, I am thinking of looking at a 50 inch plasma. Good luck to all who have ordered it and sticking with it.
Looking forward to a review of this set.

Thanks

MS.
post #104 of 717 Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM

I just found out from PCConnection that they currently have 1240 backorders (customer orders) and that 5000 have been ordered by PCC. So that means that 3760 units are still available to be purchased. Hmm...maybe I should cancel and wait for some reviews...
I also found out that if you order now your unit won't ship until early July. The first wave (June 15 ship date) has already been filled.
post #105 of 717 Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenmulder
I just found out from PCConnection that they currently have 1240 backorders (customer orders) and that 5000 have been ordered by PCC. So that means that 3760 units are still available to be purchased. Hmm...maybe I should cancel and wait for some reviews...
How do you know theres only 10,000?

Anyways, Im a noob to the site, but interested in purchasing this set. But, ill be waiting for some of your guys reviews of the TV. And Have a couple questions.
1. Is there a limited amount that will be sold, or will have to be sold by(after reading about the mandate)?
2. And will this tv handle the different verticle lines 480p, 480i, 720i, 720p, and 1080i?
post #106 of 717 Old 06-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan69
How do you know theres only 10,000?

Anyways, Im a noob to the site, but interested in purchasing this set. But, ill be waiting for some of your guys reviews of the TV. And Have a couple questions.
1. Is there a limited amount that will be sold, or will have to be sold by(after reading about the mandate)?
2. And will this tv handle the different verticle lines 480p, 480i, 720i, 720p, and 1080i?
Jordan69... Why don't you place your order now because when the first wave of people get their units I am sure they will give all the info you require.. You have until July to cancel if the reports are Negative.... I think the folks that have the first wave of orders are ones that are taking the chance, and not the 2nd wave....
My bet is when the reports are positive, PCC will sell out pretty fast, 2nd, 3rd, waves...

Speedman
post #107 of 717 Old 06-06-2005, 07:01 PM

btw.. quickie update.
If you poke around the TigerDirect Site you'll see that the Techview unit is handled by a company named Disteck at www_disteck_com and amazingly enough the same manual.

They seem to also build LCD controllers, so it looks like all the players/partners seem to contribute to the unit and then get it back for sale under their name.

Very nice arrangement.. and what makes capitalisim so great ;-)
Diane
post #108 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1240 backorders means that none are available, or worse: -1240 are available until the 1241st is received by PCC. :)

Aren't I a stinker.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #109 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 AM

Quote:
1240 backorders means that none are available, or worse: -1240 are available until the 1241st is received by PCC
Actually PCC has zero in stock from what I was told, they will take possession of the first 5000 mid-June and ship as needed. This is why you see 1240 backorders, those are the units already ordered that will ship for the mid-June deliveries.

HTH
Diane
post #110 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently PCC got the panels from LG, got them made into TVs by an unknown company and they are contracting Gemstar for warranty. Shipping is without insurance. Checkout fatwallet for details. Is this too good to be true .... (i.e. has major risks ?)
post #111 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
Apparently PCC got the panels from LG, got them made into TVs by an unknown company and they are contracting Gemstar for warranty. Shipping is without insurance. Checkout fatwallet for details. Is this too good to be true .... (i.e. has major risks ?)
There is a member on fatwallet that is trying to arrange a group buy to get the display for $1299 shipped plus a free wall mount. He's been in contact with PCC and I guess negotiations haven't gone smoothly, mainly because the purchases are all going to be separate.

Here is an interesting bit of info he got from PCC:

"Basically the plasma was manufactured by LG, for a deal that went
wrong and LG got stuck with 10,000 of these. PCC scavenged it and
hired a Korean casing manufacturer and put a case around it. The
casing company didn't want anything to do with the TVs, but PCC
somehow convinced ORcom to provide a 1 year warranty. Hmmm......
who's gonna fix my tv when it breaks? Do I have to ship it to Korea?"
post #112 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought plasmas were disposable.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #113 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I bought the 2 year extended warranty. You can count on me to post a review ASAP. I hope that you are right about the second wave of deliveries. I would have thought that these TV's get shipped as soon as they are ordered since the 5,000 orders have not been filled, but I guess that I must be wrong since you have spoken to PCC.
Again, any one in south Jersey is invited to check it out when it arrives. that is the least I can do for all the help that you have all been. When you see my home, you'll probably wonder why I bought a cheap plasma. Well, it is because we usually watch kids shows, and not much TV for grown ups, but I wanted flat panel technology and was unwilling to spend thousand for something that I would rarely use for anything but kids shows.
I can provide answers to specific questions, but again, my video/plasma knowledge is limited.
post #114 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 07:25 AM
usg

Quote:
Here is an interesting bit of info he got from PCC:

"Basically the plasma was manufactured by LG, for a deal that went
wrong and LG got stuck with 10,000 of these. PCC scavenged it and
hired a Korean casing manufacturer and put a case around it. The
casing company didn't want anything to do with the TVs, but PCC
somehow convinced ORcom to provide a 1 year warranty. Hmmm......
who's gonna fix my tv when it breaks? Do I have to ship it to Korea?"
If this is true, then how come ORCom has this panel on their web site as their regular product? They even have PAl and NTSC versions of this.
post #115 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usg
If this is true, then how come ORCom has this panel on their web site as their regular product? They even have PAl and NTSC versions of this.
Yeah, that Fat Wallet info sounds somewhat dubious - to put it mildly.
post #116 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Although the ORCOM plasma looks the same and has the same item #[OP-42TN2], it has a different contrast ratio [10,000:1] and different colored speakers than the advertised PCC plasma. The GEMSTAR site has the exact specs, but no picture of the speakers.
post #117 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 08:41 AM
usg

The CR difference may be due to newer panels used. I believe LG and Samsung both are claiming 10,000:1 CR while the previous gen. panels were rated around 3,000:1. The specs on Gemstar and PCC may not have been updated. I will put more faith on the product # than on an individual specification of the product. But, we can not be sure until PCC start shipping.
post #118 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 09:17 AM

Come on, PCconnection would have hired Orcom to put together a plasma.. :) i dont think so. Look at the manual at orcoms webpage, it has the 3000:1 specs... and i don't think they would use the same model number in that case.

/Chris
post #119 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 562
The fatwallet info is wrong -- not dubious, wrong.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #120 of 717 Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM

Guess what? Sometimes things to good to be true - can actually be true.. :

The plasma is a white box unit from a deal that fell through. LG manufactured the actual glass panel that goes in the plasma (very high end specs), another factory built them and PCC purchased the units through 3G and asked 3G to put their name on the unit as they are fulfilling the warranty. Most companies they deal with buy Panels (LCD/Plasma) from a source (LG, Samsung, Hyundai, Philips and a couple of others) and contract a factory in Asia to build the units to their specs with their name on it (Acer, ViewSonic, HP, IBM, Planar, even Panasonic) with the exception of Samsung, Sony and a few others this is standard practice. You will not find this on 3G's site due to the nature of this deal, but rest assured this is a high end panel and the price is extraordinary

I have two on order - I'm sure you could return it if you weren't 100% satisfied. All you hvae to do is ask.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page