post #181 of 431 Old 08-18-2005, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to BrandSmart today in ATL.

They have 30 of the LC37D4U's on order.
They have 30 of the LC37D6U's on order.

I asked the saleperson when he expects them in and he initially said within the next 7 days. I questioned him a little harder saying could he 100% guarantee they would be in stock in 7 days and he backed down. So with Brandsmart listing them at these prices I would expect to be able to get them cheaper online. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 08:37 AM

Will the color of the new DA5U be a smarter "titanium" or even black compared to the older shiny silver of the GA5U? Googling the DA5U also results in only a couple hits - far fewer than I would expect for a set to arrive on shelves before the end of the month!

If the new set is again silver, I will be hard pressed to spend the extra $250 for the newer set and lose the DVI, although gaining the 12 ms screen would be nice - I just don't know if I would notice it.
post #183 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrypma
Will the color of the new DA5U be a smarter "titanium" or even black compared to the older shiny silver of the GA5U? Googling the DA5U also results in only a couple hits - far fewer than I would expect for a set to arrive on shelves before the end of the month!

If the new set is again silver, I will be hard pressed to spend the extra $250 for the newer set and lose the DVI, although gaining the 12 ms screen would be nice - I just don't know if I would notice it.
That's a good question.... Mike, how likely are we to notice the 4ms improvement? I'm half tempted to jump on the LC26GA5U right now, rather than wait...
post #184 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Furthermore, is the loss of DVI really a true loss? I'll have to look at the back of my Cablevision HD-DVR box to look for an HDMI out. Even if there is one, I'm not quite sure it's supported yet by the firmware.

Isn't it true that most cable systems employ DVI as the only possible digital video out at the moment?
post #185 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"At the moment."

That's the operative phrase.

When we're expected to spend thousands of dollars, we expect and deserve that the receiver will not be behind the times. Next year, we will have available High Definition DVD players. How are we supposed to connect such a machine to one of these new Sharps? Use component inputs?

There really should have been 2 HDMI connections provided. For those who need DVI, there are adapters and specials cables readily available.

I fully realize that Sharp wanted to bring these new sets in at a specific price-point. But this is cutting things back just a bit too far!

In fact, previously, Mike53 mentioned here that Sharp USA had hoped for two digital inputs.

Gary
post #186 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Isn't it true that most cable systems employ DVI as the only possible digital video out at the moment?
Not true - anyone w/ a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR has an HDMI output - this is one of the most common boxes out there and I haven't heard yet of a cable system that hasn't activated HDMI.
post #187 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Well, that's good to know. So, with only one HDMI input, those with HD DVD and HD cable boxes will need some sort of external switch. Hopefully, the HD DVD boxes will have some sort of HDMI input with which to pass a signal from the cable provider.
post #188 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc
That's a good question.... Mike, how likely are we to notice the 4ms improvement? I'm half tempted to jump on the LC26GA5U right now, rather than wait...
I don't notice any motion blur on my (<16ms) 26GD4U at all. But I don't use my set for video games or as a computer display.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #189 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Well, that's good to know. So, with only one HDMI input, those with HD DVD and HD cable boxes will need some sort of external switch. Hopefully, the HD DVD boxes will have some sort of HDMI input with which to pass a signal from the cable provider.
Don't these come with cable cards? So is there a need for an HD cable box?
post #190 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 PM

I was referring to the DA5U, which does not, but it seems the D4/6 models will.

I really don't understand the fuss about the cable card. "So what" you don't need a box....You have to rely on the internal TV guide and furthermore, you miss out on the interactive and VOD stuff the service provider offers. You have to pay more for less - am I missing something?
post #191 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 06:51 PM

It's nice not having to have an extra box to run power to and connect to the TV. Comcast doesn't charge a setup fee for the cable card or rental fee. I believe with the box there is an additional installation fee.

You are right you miss out on PPV, VOD and the on-screen menu. For me the first two are undesirable. The loss of an on-screen menu is worth the trade off for me.

I'm also not sure we are paying that much more for the cable card. The older models (D7U) have a cable card slot.
post #192 of 431 Old 08-19-2005, 07:35 PM

I just received my 26D5U from 6th Ave thru internet. I agree 100% with bf24 above. Cable card simplicity, TV Guide, and no space for cable box was my deciding factor. BUT I have a HD DVR cable box in another room and do like the DVR feature. Cable card is $1.75 per month instead of $9 for the box. I also like the built in ATSC tuner(over the air HD). I can get the local HD channels with "rabbit ears". Not all the local channels are carried by cable in HD!
I normally purchase from sponsored sites but 6th Ave had to nice of a price for this particular model. I was worried about their return policy but set was received double boxed with no problem.
Love the set so far.
post #193 of 431 Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
if 16ms-->60Hz-->1/60 seconds per screen draw (assumption)

then

16/12 = n/60

n = 16*60/12

n = 80 Hz

Wohoo!! That is a lot in my book. I am the kind of guy who can tell if a computer is doing 60, 72 or 85 Hz just by looking at it. I walk around at my office and fix peoples headaches saying oh, your monitor is at 60 Hz and it's why you are getting headaches. Our IT department locks us out so I wrote a program to change the res. hehe.

I'm not saying LCD TVs act the same way as CRT computers, but I think this will be a major big deal.

pant pant

--Pizpot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 431 Old 08-27-2005, 01:16 PM

LOL....We are talking about LCD TVs, right? You are describing CRT monitors. Two entirely different worlds. The response rate of LCDs isn't really akin to refresh rates of CRT monitors as far as I know. The response rate, rated in ms is how fast an *individual* pixel can turn from one state to another and back again (again, so I think). The refresh rate on an CRT monitor is how often the *entire* picture is painted on the screen per second.

Having a slower response LCD screen wouldn't necessarily result in the same type of headache....Or, have I taken your post a bit too seriously?
post #195 of 431 Old 08-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Well, in the movies I watch, the camera never sits still. And there are color gradients on everything. So every pixel has to change every frame. I mean they are always panning around. LCD engineers must be thinking "damnit what is wrong with a staionary camera. We can do that good with a cheap processor but no..."

I'd rather the processor was ahead of the game, than behind, and using software to decide which parts are most important to draw, and which to leave alone and hope the user won't notice. I notice. (herhum Acer) Heck they should do 64bit color too.

Playing games on a 60Hz LCD isn't so great either.

--Pizpot

post #196 of 431 Old 08-27-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizpot
I'd rather the processor was ahead of the game, than behind, and using software to decide which parts are most important to draw, and which to leave alone and hope the user won't notice.
current encoding methods do what you described. the issue is more about LCD response times.

Quote:
Heck they should do 64bit color too
encoding digital sources at 64-bit has been around for a few years.
post #197 of 431 Old 08-28-2005, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizpot
Well, in the movies I watch, the camera never sits still. And there are color gradients on everything. So every pixel has to change every frame. I mean they are always panning around. LCD engineers must be thinking "damnit what is wrong with a staionary camera. We can do that good with a cheap processor but no..."
The MPEG-2 compression system (which HD and DVD use) has motion prediction built-in to its algorithm. Have a read of the motion-compensated inter-frame prediction section of http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/...paper_14.shtml

Quote:
Heck they should do 64bit color too.
Current HD and DVD material is 8 bits per rgb or 24 bit. That give you 2 ^ 24 or 16 million colours. My plasma has 10 bits per rgb or 30 bit = 1 billion colours. HDMI maxes out at 12 x 3 or 68 billion colours. There's a fair bit of debate in these forums that you would be hard pressed to see the difference between 16 million and 1 billion colours, and most are in agreement that the difference between 1 billion and 68 billion will be impossible to see. 64 bit would give you 18 quintrilllion colours (that is, 18 billion billion colours)... I am going to go out on a limb here and state that there will be no visible increase in the PQ by going from 36 bit HDMI to some 64 bit uber format!

Ross
post #198 of 431 Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks Ross. Can I go more off topic and ask why some 32" LCD TV's play a 480p DVD and look like crud then? I know the same exact DVD looks fine on a CRT TV. It can't be the mpeg alogorithem that the DVD player is running can it?

--Pizpot

post #199 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guys:

Have not followed this thread therefore this might be a repeat Q and if it is, please refer me to a page where I can read it.
I read on the forum that Costco might soon carry a 37'' Sharp LCD TV for around 2K. Has anyone heard that? If yes, which one would it be so that I can read its features. Sharp model-naming conventions are very confusing. Wonder why they could not make it simple.
I just ordered Scpetre 37'' but want to look at Sharp for sure. Am also looking into Philips 32/37''.
Thanks.
post #200 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Costco will be/is carrying the LC-37D5U. There are a couple of other threads here that mention it and one at FatWallet. Some stores have already received it.
post #201 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 AM

For anyone that owns a 45" Sharp, how does the PQ compare to that of the Panasonic 42" or 50" plasma or any decent plasma for that matter? Pretty close, about the same, or better?
I have not been able to see this for myself, otherwise I would not ask.
I want to know if I should keep the 45GD5U on my short list.....thanks!
post #202 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Jim. BIG Q is what is the response time. Under 16ms?? That is too vague. I am hoping that it is around 8ms where TVs are heading now but something tells me at this price..12ms is more realistic. Also in the detailed specs on the website..does not seem to mention HD tuner. what gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD
Costco will be/is carrying the LC-37D5U. There are a couple of other threads here that mention it and one at FatWallet. Some stores have already received it.
post #203 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The 37D5U has a digital tuner capable of receiving HD signals via both an antenna and your cable provider (with use of a CableCard).
post #204 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks. where did you get that from the specifications? I did not see any mention of ATSC tuner in the "tuner" section.
post #205 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u
thanks. where did you get that from the specifications? I did not see any mention of ATSC tuner in the "tuner" section.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #206 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Has anyone tried to move a 37" with original box in the back seat of a sedan, say Camry? Does it fit? Many thanks. I got a feeling it won't...
post #207 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiwh
Has anyone tried to move a 37" with original box in the back seat of a sedan, say Camry? Does it fit? Many thanks. I got a feeling it won't...
One person got it into the backseat of a Nissan Altima with no problem.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #208 of 431 Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
One person got it into the backseat of a Nissan Altima with no problem.
Great. Thanks Mike. I probably will give it a try when my costco has it in stock.
post #209 of 431 Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiwh
Great. Thanks Mike. I probably will give it a try when my costco has it in stock.
My COSTCO in Sterling VA got the LC37D5U in stock today

- lc46d92u
post #210 of 431 Old 08-30-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
Just a quick scan of new models:
LC45GD5U
LC45GD7U
hi mike,

are you able to tell me anymore about these 2 models and how they compare on features with the LC45GDX6U?

thanks

julie
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page