Added Official US Pioneer Press Release! News about 6th Generation Pioneer PDPs! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
According to his profile he works for these guys who happen to be a distributor of Pioneer equipment.

http://www.awe-europe.co.uk/
Thanks for that. It all helps.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Well, I won't hold you to the account termination in the event you are incorrect.:)

Here's hoping you're right though.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a panny to go with my pio. The pio for everything except HD movies, which I'd have used the panny for.

It would be fantastic to get both in one panel.
Yes it would be great to have it in one panel. I think Pioneer will come through on this one. I just hope the bugs are not excessive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 01:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheridave
Thanks for that. It all helps.

Dave
The first thing I did was click on that guy's profile.

That wasn't what made me feel better about his info though. It was the fact that he's been a member there for some time and those participating in the thread seem to respect the guy. Just like here, I assume if the guy was a crackpot he'd be called on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
I just hope the bugs are not excessive.
Me too.:)

post #95 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Good call Woodrow, if he is well respected in the forum then 9 times out of 10 that lends credibility to the guy.

Dave

post #96 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Good call Woodrow, if he is well respected in the forum then 9 times out of 10 that lends credibility to the guy.
Dave
That's not to say you were wrong in saying what you did though.:) I agree that until we see this for ourselves it's nothing but marketing hype at best, and at worst, it's gross misinformation.

I'm not anywhere near prepared to say the pio blacks will equal or beat panny's. Panny has built a track record in delivering good black levels and until we SEE different, they are still king of that hill. Period.

Let's not give pio a free ride. Let's make them deliver the goods before we pat them on the back.;)

post #97 of 606 Old 07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
To my own "hope it improves list" I would add the somtimes noticeable judder on the Pios, in particular the Elites, and the flicker occasionally seen on some HD stations when using 3:3 pulldown (ADV purecinema).

I bought a 1110HD back in Jan of '04. Spent a big chunk o' change on it. I've been thrilled with it, especially bright, outdoor scenes. Blacks have been okay, but not amazing (in other news, dog bites man).

When the 5050 / 1120 series came out, I really didn't see much (any?) difference in my display. I'm sure if I put them side-by-side I could see the ACE-III and other improvements as compared to my display, but nothing about the new displays made me regret my Jan '04 purchase.

I've been thinking: what would make me seriously consider selling my 1110HD and spending another big whack o' cash on a new display? A 3000:1 contrast ratio would go a long way to making such a decision, but on its own, it would not. A 3000:1 contrast ratio with a SILENT media receiver would push me a bit closer.... A 3000:1 contrast ratio, slient media receiver and utterly, butterly smooth motion for all input media would make me grit my teeth, put my fingers in my ears and hum... must resist...

...all this and a price half of what I spent on my 1110HD a year and a half ago will make me run screaming out of my house and run on foot to my Pio dealer downtown waving my credit card in the air in front of me.

Arrrrg!

Ross
post #98 of 606 Old 07-30-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
To my own "hope it improves list" I would add the somtimes noticeable judder on the Pios, in particular the Elites, and the flicker occasionally seen on some HD stations when using 3:3 pulldown (ADV purecinema).

I bought a 1110HD back in Jan of '04. Spent a big chunk o' change on it. I've been thrilled with it, especially bright, outdoor scenes. Blacks have been okay, but not amazing (in other news, dog bites man).

When the 5050 / 1120 series came out, I really didn't see much (any?) difference in my display. I'm sure if I put them side-by-side I could see the ACE-III and other improvements as compared to my display, but nothing about the new displays made me regret my Jan '04 purchase.

I've been thinking: what would make me seriously consider selling my 1110HD and spending another big whack o' cash on a new display? A 3000:1 contrast ratio would go a long way to making such a decision, but on its own, it would not. A 3000:1 contrast ratio with a SILENT media receiver would push me a bit closer.... A 3000:1 contrast ratio, slient media receiver and utterly, butterly smooth motion for all input media would make me grit my teeth, put my fingers in my ears and hum... must resist...

...all this and a price half of what I spent on my 1110HD a year and a half ago will make me run screaming out of my house and run on foot to my Pio dealer downtown waving my credit card in the air in front of me.

Arrrrg!

Ross
Great post Ross.:)

Pretty much summed it up for me as well. If there is one reason to be excited, perhaps it's the new formats coming such as BD and HD-DVD. IMO, pio has to fix their black levels to truly show off Blue-Ray. The idea of HD movies with pios black levels has always struck me as an oxymoron. Don't get me wrong, OTA HD movies still look great, but we need good blacks to really get great PQ the way we get it with bright scenes.

I also like the idea of the smaller bezel. It would allow me to move to the 50 inch while not taking up much more space.

post #99 of 606 Old 07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

For some one like me whos 50" Plasma is almost 4 yrs old and who is in the market right now - let me tell you it is exciting times right now indeed.

I don't have any of the new features, i.e. HDMI, etc. on my Plasma, but I will be patient and will look closely at each new model over the next few months.

Currently Panasonic Consumer models are off my list, Panasonic commercial and the Pioneer 6g is on my list.

We shall see.

Dave

post #100 of 606 Old 07-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
For some one like me whos 50" Plasma is almost 4 yrs old and who is in the market right now - let me tell you it is exciting times right now indeed.
Dave
Man, I'm glad its not just me!

This year is so much more exciting than last year. I'm not just talking about plasmas either. We should get lots and lots of HD-DVD and BD info too. Makes me want to start taking better care of myself, so I can enjoy CEDIA and CES for many, many years to come.

post #101 of 606 Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Cheridave- you have a PM.
post #102 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 PM

New Models are comming this Fall. Whith the current information available the new models will be kick ass.
Panasonic... Time to play catchup!

Model #'s for US

PDP-5060HD (Elite PRO-1130HD)
PDP-4360HD (Elite PRO-930HD)
PDP-43xx?? (ED version)

Here is a site that demonstrates some of the technological achievements and changes for the Pioneer 6th-Generation Series release in Japan.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...21/pioneer.htm

Some of the more notable features and improvements:

- Black levels decresed by 3 fold (better black levels then Panasonic)
- Increased contrast ration to 4000:1
- Weight has been decresed for all models (43"- 56.8Lbs, 50"- 70.5Lbs) Can you say one person install? Well maybe not...
- 20% -30% less power consumption then the 5-series
- Bezel 1/3 the width all around compared to the 5-series
- Improved anti-reflection substrate, 1/2 the reflected light values of previous models)
- Lower noise level for media-reciever. (Don't know, wasn't able to confirm yet)
- Mpeg Noise Reduction for HD and SD inputs.
- Improved deinterlacer and upconverter in the new media receiver.

Those are just some of the changes and improvements made. If you can read Japanese you can read more @

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/pdp/technol...nel/index.html

post #103 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Appears to be some type of banding problem in this ocean view pic on that site.

ocean view pic
post #104 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 PM

The BLACKS look pretty decent to me considering the low levels of ambient lighting. But then there are too many variables involved to pass judgement. Nonetheless, they are looking good.
post #105 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Threads Merged!

Dave

post #106 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

not hugely familiar with pioneer. are these just the elite (ie. expensive) ones coming out? or are there new regular models too?
post #107 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a translation for the first link.

http://translate.google.com/translat...21/pioneer.htm

They have really simplified the electronics behind the screen.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...21/pio1_21.jpg

And this article there is more details including that Pioneer will demo 1080P Plasmas at CREATE JAPAN in October in CES in January. The 1080P plasma will become available before the World Cup (ie. June 2006).

Enjoy! :D

http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
post #108 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

From the pic it looks like the model number on the ED is PDP-436SX

EDIT: NM... The SX is 1024x768.

EDIT 2:
Google yen converter gives about 6700(506HD), 5367(436HD), 5097 (43SX) USD

Ouch, hope they announce a price drop before they release them.
post #109 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunorth
What the new Pio's need to demonstrate:

1) No panel buzz.
2) No excessive fan noise.
3) Improved blacks in dark settings, 'DasBoat' is a good example, you see greys not blacks.

Do those three things and the punchy vibrant colors will do the rest to sell the panel.
Well I just purchased a 1410HD and I can say

1.There is no fan noise, none at any range

2. No panel buzz and

3 Pittsburgh Steelers jerseys look Black not grey.

4. Analog pictures are very very good. Better than the 502 it replaced.

5. For what Sony wants for the 006 I can buy two of the 1410HD.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #110 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:45 PM

Well, I have to say I feel a little vindicated, as far as the media receiver fan noise. I've complained quite a bit about it.

It had to have a noise issue if Pioneer is claiming the new one is quieter.;)

I knew I wasn't just being picky.:)

post #111 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch
The BLACKS look pretty decent to me considering the low levels of ambient lighting. But then there are too many variables involved to pass judgement. Nonetheless, they are looking good.
That is no scene to judge black levels by though. With pios brightness, it's easy to make those blacks look good.

Let's see them demo Dark City, or Apocalypse Now and many many others.

post #112 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Actually if you take a look at this picture:

http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/artic...ages781040.jpg

It gives you a very good idea how good the black level is... If you look at the border and the actual PDP picture they are very close in color. That means the pixels can turn off to produce almost no light.
And if you look at the bright light at the bottom, how smooth the transition is from black to moonlight reflection.

Trust me I saw one of these units in person, black levels are better then Panasonic.
post #113 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 PM

That's an acceptable scene to judge black levels, IMO. What is the display to the left of the new pio? I hope it's the previous gen pios!

Also, have they maintained the pio brightness we love?

Thanks,

post #114 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Currently Panasonic Consumer models are off my list, Panasonic commercial and the Pioneer 6g is on my list.

We shall see...

Same thing here. ;)

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #115 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi
Same thing here. ;)

And me.
I need to swap my 42" to a 50" and thought it would be for a HD8 panny, but this is looking better and better all the time.

I am still a bit worried about the media box though, I sold a PW6 and had a current 43XDE, but hated so much I got rid of it whithin a fortnight and got another Panny but this time the HD6.
I use a Crystalio and even the pw6 was a nicer image than the XDE, that media box does let it down a bit.

But things are looking better all the time, and within a couple of months I will have a 50" on the wall, either the pio, panny or a fuji.
post #116 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 PM

Is the bezel for the 6G's still the glossy piano black, but just thinner? I love the glossy back of the 5050HD, so I'm hoping the new versions also have it. The extra glare or reflection doesn't bother me one bit, and it's so, so sexy...
post #117 of 606 Old 08-04-2005, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
And this article there is more details including that Pioneer will demo 1080P Plasmas at CREATE JAPAN in October in CES in January. The 1080P plasma will become available before the World Cup (ie. June 2006).
Yippieh-yay, if that is true!

Hopefully those will accept 1080 with 24p, 25p, 50p and 60p!
post #118 of 606 Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamJNS
Actually if you take a look at this picture:

http://ascii24.com/news/i/hard/artic...ages781040.jpg

It gives you a very good idea how good the black level is... If you look at the border and the actual PDP picture they are very close in color. That means the pixels can turn off to produce almost no light.
And if you look at the bright light at the bottom, how smooth the transition is from black to moonlight reflection.

Trust me I saw one of these units in person, black levels are better then Panasonic.
The black levels looks very good. Although that pictures is essentially displaying two opposite colors, black or white, so it's hard to judge how the new Pio would do with shadow details. But so far, :)
post #119 of 606 Old 08-05-2005, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow
That's an acceptable scene to judge black levels, IMO. What is the display to the left of the new pio? I hope it's the previous gen pios!

Also, have they maintained the pio brightness we love?

Thanks,
If that is the previous generation pio then I feel it for those who own one :D

I doubt it is the previous generation pio, it looks like a LCD rear projection to me. LCD RP in a darkened room will make anything look good in comparison. The lower black level on the pio is looking close to crt levels. If the shadow details come through satisfactorily then that is cherry on the pie, but I will take crushed blacks over greys any day.
post #120 of 606 Old 08-05-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch
..................but I will take crushed blacks over greys any day.

I have to agree, if the balcks are slighly crushed you don't actually know unless it is a disc you know very well, however if blacks are grey it is obvious.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page