Please Sound Off!!! How old are you/what do you do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We do this about once a year or so since we get so many new members.

I am 50 years old, married- I think you can figure out my wifes name (hint- cheridave), two kids- one who just received her Bachelors Degree from Humboldt College and one in the Marines (just got back from Iraq). I am a Civil Servant for the Department of Defense- Procurement/Acquisition, which will include anything from a can of Soup to Major Weapons Systems for our Men and Women in the Armed Forces- God Bless Them and Keep them Safe.

I was bitten by the Plasma and Home Theater bug about Five years ago and I will never turn back. I've had the 42" & 50" Panasonic and the 50" Pioneer. I am currently researching the new model Plasmas and will be upgrading sometime this year.

I want to personally thank all of you for the many tips, advice and knowledge that I have had the pleasure of reading here on this forum.

Keep up the good work and "Happy Plasma-ing".

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 05:11 PM

Liked: 10
Mostly lurking here.

I'm 43 and am an engineer for Boeing.

We recently got a Panasonic 42PX50U.
post #3 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 05:49 PM

I'll be 31 at the end of this month. My joints ache. I feel old. I may have to drag myself from in front of my beautiful plasma TV and get some exercise soon...

I live in NYC with my girlfriend. I'm the head of software development for content management systems at a magazine here in the city. My girlfriend of 9 years is on her way to completing her masters in Occupational Therapy (1.5 yrs to go, I'm counting the days).

When I'm not sitting in front of a computer or slacking in front of a TV, I'm pursing my other 2 expensive hobbies, photography and cars.
post #4 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 05:53 PM

42, Land Surveyor. Retired due to Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS). LG RU-42PX10C 3/05. Love it! Thanks everybody.
post #5 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 369
57, married

CEO of ISO Certified Engineering / Manufacturing firm

active in local government

avid bicyclist (Cannondales)
post #6 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

good idea for a post, i've been curious about this myself....

for some reason i've always assumed most everybody on the board is a white male in their late 30s, 40s, early 50s who lives in a suburban house in one of the red states ... dunno why...

32, a reporter, live in LA (don't move here, terrible place to live, which is probably why i watch a lot of tv now), do script doctoring (gigs are few and far between, but i keep plugging away). own a competent if unexciting 32" toshiba CRT. gearing up to buy a plasma this september (just found out that, b/c of my job, it's a tax write off, which seems sort of amazing).
post #7 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:31 PM

59, twice divorced, 4 daughters, 3 grandchildren

40 years in IT

Living in Oldtown Alexandria, VA after returning from 20 years in New Zealand

Just bought a Hewlett Packard PL4245N 42" plasma

full HTPC specs can be found at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi all,

I'm 37, male. I was an electrical engineer with my masters in EE. I worked for Ford Motor Co, and Cutler Hammer for 10 years. I quit my job when my wife and I had our first child 3 years ago. She's an ER doc. I'm a stay-at-home dad/tech geek. My wife says since I don't engineer anything for a company, now I just spend her money to engineer this house...oh well, it keeps me happy. Oh yeah, I have a 55" Hitachi plasma.

Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #9 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi! 36 and currently VP and 50% owner of a DVD authoring and distribution company for independent films and music. Prior to that, 8 years in IT and other assorted careers/jobs.

42" Panasonic TH-PWD4UY
post #10 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 06:52 PM

Hi,

I am 20 years old, a student at Northwestern University, currently from Orange County, CA. I'm studying Industrial Engineering/Economics w/ a minor in Transportation and Logistics. I am interning with Independence Air this summer in the DC area but intend on going into investment banking. I'm not a heavy reader of this forum (I probably stop by every week or so, this is my first time here for a month or so) but I frequent an Acura TL forum (can't post links here, eh?).
Looking to set up my apartment for my junior and senior years. Hopefully I can convince my father to get a 60" plasma so I can steal our current 42" Panasonic. I'm going to need some kind of decent TV to help fill a rather large family/entertainment room. If anyone wants to give away their ratty old 50" HD plasma, let me know!

Justin
post #11 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheridave View Post

We do this about once a year or so since we get so many new members.

I am 50 years old, married- I think you can figure out my wifes name (hint- cheridave), two kids- one who just received her Bachelors Degree from Humboldt College and one in the Marines (just got back from Iraq). I am a Civil Servant for the Department of Defense- Procurement/Acquisition, which will include anything from a can of Soup to Major Weapons Systems for our Men and Women in the Armed Forces- God Bless Them and Keep them Safe.

I was bitten by the Plasma and Home Theater bug about Five years ago and I will never turn back. I've had the 42" & 50" Panasonic and the 50" Pioneer. I am currently researching the new model Plasmas and will be upgrading sometime this year.

I want to personally thank all of you for the many tips, advice and knowledge that I have had the pleasure of reading here on this forum.

Keep up the good work and "Happy Plasma-ing".

Dave

I appreciate your sons service to his country.

I'm 32.. Used to work for State Fund (Insurance company) Was laid off a few yrs ago.. (Silicon valley is brutal these days) Got a job at BB.. Pays not as good, but it's a good, & it keeps my close to my toys.. I was bit by the A/V bug last June when I bought my 26inch HDTV Samsung.. Now I eat, breath, & sleep HDTV's.. I'm looking to upgrade in November (Just intime for The 360) Not sure what I'm going to buy. The Sceptre 1080p seems temping along with the other 'budget' 1080p panels (Benq, Westinghouse, & soon Syntax) The DLP 1080p' are too big for my small bedroom.. Thinking about the Panasonic 44inch & Sony 42inch RP LCD HDTV. Ofcourse, I might just go back to the old tube models.. Hardc to beat Sony's XBR line of CRTS..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 07:43 PM

44-yr old male. Work as a 911 dispatcher for a sheriff's office in Eastern Oregon (hence the Sagebrush name). I have never been married.

After a long day or night of stressful work, there is nothing like kicking back and watching a good movie on my Panasonic TH-42PX50U.

I like the outdoors too. Hiking and birding. Lots of places to explore around here.
post #13 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM

45-yr old male. Live in Kansas City, smack dab in the middle.

I am the lead mac operator for a prepress company, been in graphic Arts for 17 years, I love the challenge.

Just bought 7/5 the Panasonic 42PD50U, based on many of the things written in this forum.
It is truly an amazing Plasma. Since I work in graphics one of the most critical aspects of color correction is Contrast and Black level. Panasonic got it right.

When I am not watching this baby, photography and fishing keep me busy...
post #14 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

I'm 21, and I help run a family business which consists of selling food to hungry people - this is mostly done on the weekends. During the week, I also work at BB, mostly to be around the HT things that I love, but also for the discount, and to possibly make it a career.

Currently looking at Philip's new 37" LCD, or the Westinghouse 1080p Model, not entirely sure yet. I'd buy a plasma, but all the PC use this monitor is going to get, I don't think the resolution on the size I want (37") is going to be sufficient enough.
post #15 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:03 PM

I'm 58, male and started my involment in this hobby when I built a 14 watt monophonic Heathkit amplifier when I was 14. Progressed to kit receivers and a 27" Heathkit TV where you soldered every component to a circuit board. That meant every transistor, resistor, capacitor etc. Now I satisfy that passion building HTPC's to power my displays from a Sharp DLP on a 100" screen to various plasmas and LCD displays.
My son the Cavalry Scout is home on leave from Iraq. When you see the guy sticking out the roof of a Humvee with both hands on a machine gun, that could be him.
It is a real dichotomy that I can get a fabulous HD program almost anywhere I am he is lucky to have the generator running so his computer on the end of a long extension cord functions well enough to play games but forget about internet access.
I have owned a business for 30+ years that has nothing to do with technology but it has allowed me to afford this expensive hobby.

John
post #16 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:05 PM

I'm 19 and I'm currently going to OWCC to become a network administrator. I am looking to save up funds to start a server company.
post #17 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
52 years young, married to a beautiful English lady for 17 years, and to round out the family we have a one helluva cute little Pomeranian name "Cajieboy". I'm a pet photographer, self-employed, and travel extensively throughout the Southeastern US.

I've lived in Cocoa Beach, FL since 1986, but am originally from Louisiana (GO LSU TIGERS!!) where I visit at least once a year...usually during Mardi Gras Season.

Purchased my Sony 40XBR800 (CRT) about 2.5 years ago, and joined AVS a few days later whereby I caught the HT Virus, which has strong symptoms of Plasma Fever. Thanks to this Forum, I've learned a great deal & continue to sponge off these knowledgeable sources. My next HT upgrade will most likely be in the 60"- 65" range, and looking forward to the future TV tech. It's been fun. Thanks everyone.
post #18 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee View Post

I live in NYC with my girlfriend. I'm the head of software development for content management systems at a magazine here in the city.

Hmm, ever heard of Bricolage or Krang?

Uh, I'm 32, married. Lived in NYC for about 6 years after graduating college (Go Gators!) and we moved to Salt Lake about 2 years ago. Love it. I work for an outdoor gear company.

Still enjoying a 25" GE CRT that I bought when I first moved to NYC. Looking to get a 42ish plasma this fall in time for College Football season, most likely a Panny ED, but I still haven't made up my mind.

Friend from NYC turned me onto the forum. Good stuff.

J-
post #19 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm 43 years old, and an air traffic controller in

south Florida....

Have the Sony 37" in my computer room

Shelly
post #20 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:27 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_006 View Post

I'm 21, and I help run a family business which consists of selling food to hungry people - this is mostly done on the weekends. During the week, I also work at BB, mostly to be around the HT things that I love, but also for the discount, and to possibly make it a career.

Currently looking at Philip's new 37" LCD, or the Westinghouse 1080p Model, not entirely sure yet. I'd buy a plasma, but all the PC use this monitor is going to get, I don't think the resolution on the size I want (37") is going to be sufficient enough.

Yeah, gawking is good.. Do you have a Magnolia in your store? What department are you in?

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

post #21 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 PM

47 years old with two (2) grown sons, and a grandson who turns 1 next month. Married for 27 years to my high school sweetheart. I got my degree from DeVry Institute in 1978. Boy have things changed since then! I am a Business Solutions Engineer for Network Corps here in California.

I finally gave in to the Plasma urge this summer. My wife actually kept bringing it up every time we walked through Costco. Wound up buying a Daewoo at Fry's. It is actually an NEC EDTV in a Daewoo wrapper.
post #22 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrizzo View Post

Hmm, ever heard of Bricolage or Krang?

Yes and yes!
post #23 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
52, married male - clinical psychologist - Anchorage Alaska (red state).

Our Best Buys is currently building a Magnolia in it. I have the Costco Pio 4312 right now, but eyeing the new Pio Elites announced for Sept.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #24 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 10:36 PM

Now I understand the visual cortex label.
post #25 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
40, engineer for a semiconductor company in Silicon Valley. Live with my wife (who's 3 months pregnant ... with twins) and 3 cats.

Have a 32" HDTV compatible Toshiba 32" CRT, but looking to a Panny plasma soon.

Shoot, I got my first stereo in the mid 70's when my Dad turned me on to the 4th Zeppelin album and Machine Head by Deep Purple. Have slowly been adding on to my system ever since.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #26 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 11:22 PM

49 year old divorced environmental engineer and VP of a consulting firm in Austin that I've worked for since the day after graduating from The University of Texas 27 years ago. Man, time sure flies when you're having fun.

My babies are a Panny 50" HD, Panny 42" ED and Optoma H31 DLP FP ...and soon to add the (in?)famous 3G Technology 42" HD that's garnered much attention here.
post #27 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 11:49 PM

55-year old male, married, 18 year-old son. Work as a computer programmer for a defense company in the West San Fernando Valley. Originally from West Virginia. I really enjoy living in California. I can hike in the Santa Monica mountains 5 minutes from my home - 20 minutes to the ocean.

I have been interested in audio, electronics and Hi-Fi since I was a teenager.
I got the plasma bug when I got an ad in the mail with a full-size foldout of a 42" plasma! After much research and help from this forum, I got a Panasonic 42pwd6uy. I am very happy with watching mostly DVDs with my Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder.

Most ambitious electronics project - built a Heathkit computer and printer.

I really appreciate this forum and want to thank everyone who participates.

Mike
post #28 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 11:49 PM

Male, 35, work for a buyout firm. Don't yet have a flat screen. Waiting to see the new Pioneer. Also considering Panny and NEC.

Ken

Ken
post #29 of 503 Old 07-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

31yo/ married/ software engineer
post #30 of 503 Old 07-17-2005, 12:04 AM

Married male, old enough, with degrees in Electronic Media and Communications, currently working as a Home Theater installer. Also considering taking the ISF certification plunge...

Mongo Only Pawn in Game of Life
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page