Closed Thread

post #91 of 123 Old 08-30-2005, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWonder
Ok... couldnt wait any longer... got a lnr329D for XXXX. I'm primiarily going to be using it as a pc monitor for games and stuff... replacing my 24" sony GDMWf900... lets see how it does.
Doc, I also am leaning towards the LN-R329D for HDTV and DVDs. I think I know the place you bought it from. I was checking them out as well. I'm in no huge rush and the price can only come down a bit more as we move towards the holidays. Plus, I've seen no reviews of it thus far though I would imagine it shouldn't be a step back for Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 09-04-2005, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm seeing online stores dropping price on this unit to $XXXX on average. Now may be a good time to grab this screen.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #93 of 123 Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
samsung at IFA 2005
showing a lcd with 5000:1 dynamic contrast and a lcd with 1080p mabey the led backlight one?
http://www.samsung.com/common/micros...A2005/base.asp
post #94 of 123 Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Count me in!

I just ordered the LN-R329D for $XXXX... I was all ready to buy the 328w model and then checked this thread out...I love this forum!

now the long wait for it to ship here :(

Anubys
post #95 of 123 Old 09-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Becareful of posting pricing, remember-only suggested retail is allowed for posts on threads. You can PM pricing to someone asking. :) Thanks..how do you like your new TV? I'm considering that same model myself!

Out with the old in with the new.
post #96 of 123 Old 09-09-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy
Becareful of posting pricing, remember-only suggested retail is allowed for posts on threads. You can PM pricing to someone asking. :) Thanks..how do you like your new TV? I'm considering that same model myself!
yep, I knew that...just had a brain-f*rt, I guess...sorry about that...at least I didn't mention where I got it :o

it won't come for another 3-7 business days...so I'm hoping I'll have it before next week...I'll have a new HD-Tivo delivered on Monday...so I hope to give you guys a report by next weekend...

Anubys
post #97 of 123 Old 09-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thats ok, Anubys, everyone knows no ones perfect-I've done a few things myself a year ago I didnt realize was not within the rules on posting. everyone is guilty of it one time or another ;)

Let me know how you like the stretch mode on this model. I'm currently debating on the LNR329D or the LNR328W model. I'd love to go larger, but I'm to impatient to get something at this time. I will upgrade later on and move this into the bed room later on.
Looking forward to your reviews,
Cambryn

post #98 of 123 Old 09-15-2005, 11:00 AM

Please note the word "preliminary"...all I did was unpack it and turn it on...I spent the rest of the evening on the phone with D* CSR trying to activate an HD10-250 (it took them 2 hours to get it right!)...

so these are just the first impressions and the WAF of it...

1. this TV replaced a 30 inch CRT TV...while 2 inches wider, it looks really SMALL compared to the one it replaced. I had to check the model # to make sure they didn't ship me a 26" and even then, I had to take a tape measure to it :o ...even the wife (who doesn't care about TV size :eek: ) complained. So be prepared.

2. The shiny black border around the screen was a MAJOR turn-off for the wife. I'm not loving, it, either.

3. The Power button has a very pretty blue back-glow. But I can see that getting very annoying if this TV is in a bedroom and you're trying to sleep. too bright, if you ask me.

4. startup asked a question about which cable you have (STD, HRC, or IRC). I have no clue what that means and I don't have cable. The TV asks you to call your cable company to find out which is your type (good luck with that!). I skipped this, since I have D*,but there's nothing I see about a dish instead of cable. Very user-unfriendly question.

5. picture was very good (notice I'm not saying Excellent) for HD feeds (HBO HD, which is usually not very good anyway), but grainy on the OTA SD. Wait until I calibrate things before passing judgment, though. I will use the HDNet Tuesday HD thing (I hope they still have it) to fix the picture and optimize it...but I sure hope it improves!

6. Wife also complained (boy, she complains a lot, doesn't she?) that the depth of the TV (4 inches) prevents her from putting a lot of knick-knacks on top of it. She thought I would be upset about this fact ;)

pretty negative impressions, I know...but they will all go away if the picture is good...I won't be able to play with it again until the weekend and I still need to wait until Tuesday for the HDNet calibration...so you won't get another report from me for at least another week...

Anubys
post #99 of 123 Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 AM

I'm glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by that shiny border.

As I mentioned over on the Sony V-series thread, I had my LN-R409D swapped out for a Sony KDL-V40XBR1 yesterday. Immediately, I feel like this undid I huge mistake that I made in getting the Samsung -- I am so glad that I bought it from a local dealer that allows exchange like that.

My #1 reason for the swap was the shiny black border around the picture. In daytime viewing, this border acts as a mirror. Dumb, Samsung, very very dumb. And, you can't really see how bad this is in any merchant photo that I've seen. #2 was awful audio -- I use my HT system for audio most of the time but the Sony sounds very very good. The Samsung audio was thin, hollow, and unusable -- even when watching news, morning shows, etc when HT audio is overkill. I tried to fix it through settings, but I couldn't make it even sound decent.

After living with the Samsung for 4 weeks, I have to say that already the Sony seems to me to be superior in every way -- reasons above, more inputs, more video setting adjustments, cheaper... I really wanted that Samsung to work out, too. When I first noticed people mentioning the Sony on this thread I was mildly annoyed. Now I'm posting here in hopes of helping others by steering them to the better set.
post #100 of 123 Old 09-25-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the border on the 9d series "shinier" than the one on the 8W series? When I first got my 328W I really hated the border b/c it attracted so much damn dust. I got some Monster Screen Clean and it did a wonderful job - minimizing static electricity. But I wouldn't say that the border on my 8W is so shiny that it is distracting during normal viewing (under any lighting conditions).

The Sony XBR definitely seems like a pretty sweet set and not nearly as over priced as most sony displays.
post #101 of 123 Old 09-26-2005, 09:13 AM

I haven't seen a store that carries both, but I believe that they are pretty much the same plastic. I guess the ability to tolerate this is dependent on room setup... my room has plate glass french doors behind the seating area that open to our patio. Sun doesn't shine straight in on the screen, but it shines on the stuff outside on the patio that is visible through the glass doors. The 409D border reflected this scene back very very well.

I never wiped the 409D border off, although it came with a cleaning cloth.
post #102 of 123 Old 09-26-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_straw
I haven't seen a store that carries both, but I believe that they are pretty much the same plastic. I guess the ability to tolerate this is dependent on room setup... my room has plate glass french doors behind the seating area that open to our patio. Sun doesn't shine straight in on the screen, but it shines on the stuff outside on the patio that is visible through the glass doors. The 409D border reflected this scene back very very well.

I never wiped the 409D border off, although it came with a cleaning cloth.
I found that using the enclosed cleaning cloth actually created a lot of lint from static electricity. The Monster Screen Clean def. helps by eliminating the SE.

I probably don't notice the glare as much b/c the 328W is in my bedroom in an apartment in NYC. I usually have the blinds closed and spend most of the time viewing at night.

Glad the sony works for you though.
post #103 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 PM

After a while of playing with it...the HD picture is superb...no complaints there...but the TV can't do the "wide" setting for 4:3 picture using the HDMI input...since 90% of content is not in HD, you end-up with borders on the sides if you want to use HDMI (much better picture from the HD-Tivo using HDMI)...

with the borders being about 3 inches on each side, a 32" TV is reduced to 26"...

My Sony (2 years old) doesn't do that...I'm able to stretch the picture even using the DVI input...is this is problem will all new models or did I make a big mistake?

Anubys
post #104 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
After a while of playing with it...the HD picture is superb...no complaints there...but the TV can't do the "wide" setting for 4:3 picture using the HDMI input...since 90% of content is not in HD, you end-up with borders on the sides if you want to use HDMI (much better picture from the HD-Tivo using HDMI)...

with the borders being about 3 inches on each side, a 32" TV is reduced to 26"...

My Sony (2 years old) doesn't do that...I'm able to stretch the picture even using the DVI input...is this is problem will all new models or did I make a big mistake?
Definitely everyone needs to consider the 4:3 and 16:9 ratio. I have a 32" Sharp 16:9 viewing is fantastic far more immersive than my 36" CRT Sony ever was and I donated it to a charity for a tax write-off since no one wanted to pickup that 237 lb beast.

When going to a new HD Set and judging viewing distance it's important to factor that in because you lose about 18% or more of view when they lock in those settings. That's why the THX calculator provides much shorter VD as it accounts for that. My sporting events and most my HD Channels are in 16:9 and it's awesome, but time to time you stuck losing a portion of viewing area.

I'm in the process of getting my larger panel for my HT and taking that factor into consideration since we're a few years before 1080P and HD becomes the dominant but I avoid watching 4:3 as much as possible. I wouldn't trade my 32" for my 36" CRT as my Sharp blows away that monster. Good Luck! :)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #105 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 05:00 PM

as I was posting, something dawned on me that I was doing wrong...sure enough, the HD-Tivo does have its own "wide" version and I can show the stretched mode using the HDMI...I don't let the TV do it, but I let the HD-Tivo do it...

I went into the video setting, aspect ratio, and changed to "full"...and now the Samsung also shows the 480i picture in 720p stretched to 16:9...this is better than 480i picture in 720p in native 4:3 with the side bars, IMHO

at least now I get to use all 32" of the screen!

problem solved...now the real test: will the wife like the picture quality of the stretched version :cool:

Anubys
post #106 of 123 Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone happen to have the service manual for the samsung LNR328W or the LNR3228W? Thanks in advance!
Regards,
cambryn

post #107 of 123 Old 09-28-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_straw
Besides the glossy bezel, I have one other complaint and that is viewing angle. Samsung's claimed 170 degree H/V viewing angle is one of the features that attracted me to the LN-R409D over much cheaper projection sets. And, I bet that you can see some image over that range. However, color varies greatly over this range, to a fairly annoying degree.
I've noticed that the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 color is truer over a wider horizontal angle than the Samsung LN-R409D that I swapped for it. I can't offer explanation why, but it's an undebateable benefit. Sorry to drop in here and go on further about how much more I like my Sony than the Samsung, but I just thought that might be useful information to someone.
post #108 of 123 Old 10-01-2005, 03:24 PM

Hi guys,

I am down to either the LNR408d(or maybe the LNR-409d..but probably the 408d) and the sony KDL-V40XBR1. But it is so close it might come down to price... I was wondering if you guys can email me or pm what type of deals you guys have seen or done/recommend from good companies.. I appreciate your help in this exhaustive process...

gustovier (Since this is only my second post I cant insert my email but its just my username at hotmail)
post #109 of 123 Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Amazon is having a VERY good sale on the 409Ds right now if anyone is still in the market.
post #110 of 123 Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastInAtl
Amazon is having a VERY good sale on the 409Ds right now if anyone is still in the market.
wow...that's the same price I paid for the 329D a month ago...awesome deal...

Anubys
post #111 of 123 Old 10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I went ahead and purchased! Ship date of November 16
post #112 of 123 Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
They have increased the price in the last five minutes! Still a good deal compared to other competitors but not as fabulous any more.
post #113 of 123 Old 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post!

I have been reading this forum for months as I try to decide which HDTV to buy. I'm very close to getting the Sony KDLV40XBR1, but I'd really like a 42 to 46 inch LCD. I considered the Sharps, but their picture seems washed-out, so now I'd like to see how the Samsung LN-R469D looks. Is this model out yet? If so, has anyone seen/bought it? I can find no actual review of this model. I see that people seem to prefer the Sony to Samsung in the 40 inch model. Sony has a 46 inch coming out but I don't want to wait until next year and I hear it will retail for a lot of money.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
post #114 of 123 Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 AM

Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for some time. A lot of great information. :)
I'm currently in the market for the HDTV (either Plasma or LCD flatpanel). I was really impressed with the spec of the HP-R5072 plasma from Samsung and was about to buy it. Then I learned about this forum and spent some days going over some posts on other threads here. Basically, a lot of plasma owners' complaints were that Samsung's DNIe made the PQ somewhat worse than what it should had been. It displayed clay faces, lack of shadow details, and some "flickering" of the black levels that were the products of DNIe. To me, it looked as if the "Red" signal was overboosted, which made skin tones and other images somewhat "unnatural." Since all the Samsung LCD TV models have the same DNIe in it, are you guys having any issues with DNIe and the PQ? Or is it just the Plasma thing? Thank you!!!
post #115 of 123 Old 10-12-2005, 06:20 AM

The Sammy I have gives your the option to turn the DNie off...it also gives you a split screen to see what the picture is like with it on and off, so you can compare and pick what you think is best.

Anubys
post #116 of 123 Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
The Sammy I have gives your the option to turn the DNie off...it also gives you a split screen to see what the picture is like with it on and off, so you can compare and pick what you think is best.
Are you sure it's not just demo-mode in which you can turn DNie off? What is your model number?

If this is true it would be a good enhancement to Samsung TVs.

Thanks.
post #117 of 123 Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robottik
Are you sure it's not just demo-mode in which you can turn DNie off? What is your model number?

If this is true it would be a good enhancement to Samsung TVs.

Thanks.
I'm considering the 408D so I downloaded the manual. It shows Digital NR, on or off and DNIe Demo, on or off. Sounds like DNR would turn off DNIe, or are they two different things ? I'm not sure. Well, obviously they are since there are two separate entries for it in the menu. Again, I'm not sure WHAT the dif is.
post #118 of 123 Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

DNR is digital noise reduction. The tv defaults to ON for this feature out of the box. It must be turned off when viewing dvds and HD tv shows. It's really for noisy Standard tv shows. It smooths out the grain in the picture, but adds digital artifacts and motion artifacts!
DNIe cannot be turned off. The menu allows you to turn on the demo and turn it off, that's it. The tv set defaults to DNIe always being on.
post #119 of 123 Old 01-21-2006, 02:32 AM

My post is basically the same as reelds9, only the Samsungs I'm looking at are the 408 and 409. The 408 would be B&M, but since I can't find the 409 anywhere, I'll have to order it from the internet. Is it better to be safe than sorry when buying these kind of tvs and going B&M?

Also, the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 is another option, as is the upcoming 40" Sony LCD.
post #120 of 123 Old 01-21-2006, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by docchaez
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for some time. A lot of great information. :)
I'm currently in the market for the HDTV (either Plasma or LCD flatpanel). I was really impressed with the spec of the HP-R5072 plasma from Samsung and was about to buy it. Then I learned about this forum and spent some days going over some posts on other threads here. Basically, a lot of plasma owners' complaints were that Samsung's DNIe made the PQ somewhat worse than what it should had been. It displayed clay faces, lack of shadow details, and some "flickering" of the black levels that were the products of DNIe. To me, it looked as if the "Red" signal was overboosted, which made skin tones and other images somewhat "unnatural." Since all the Samsung LCD TV models have the same DNIe in it, are you guys having any issues with DNIe and the PQ? Or is it just the Plasma thing? Thank you!!!

I prefer DNIE on all the time since it makes all the images look crisper and sharper on my Samsung HL-R5087W pedestal model using the HD2++ chip which is non-wobulated. Whites look more white with DNIE turned on and Blacks look more black. You have the option to turn it on/off and demo on the controller and within the menu. I spent a lot of time trying to discern how I like to watch my DVD's and HD. All my favorite movies look clearer and better with DNIE on and I believe in the store it was the deciding factor when I compared Samsung models to all the other brands. It was a no-contest for me. Now, when people talk about not liking DNIE and such, you have to be careful as to which version of DNIE they are talking about. The technology has improved each year and become better starting with mid-2005 models and all 2006. It can even be turned off in the service menu if you have a TV without the off feature. Check it out with your favorite DVD at any store and see for yourself...
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page