Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #841 of 850 Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an update:

The cablecard has worked fine since the firmware upgrage. Like I said in my last post I wasn't getting the TVGuide information. I called Toshiba on Saturday about this. Surprisingly a person picked up on the initial ring to the call center. He had me do a factory reset of the TV, saying that has to be done usually after a firmware upgrade.

I checked this morning and I now have a clock and TVGuide listings. So all looks good.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 850 Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM

Glad to hear that the update fixed your problem. Now I understand why a firmware update was necessary. Thanks for the info Jody.

But that sure does point to the potential for problems. If cable card firmware updates are going to be pushed out by the cable company on a regular basis, and those updates are not backwards compatible with existing equipment, it just sounds like headache city to me. It seems that the potential exists for the need for frequent firmware updates from the tv manufacturer.

Maybe this is why some manufacturers are dropping the CC slot from their tv while keeping the QAM tuner.
post #843 of 850 Old 03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since the resolution is 1024 X 768 how does this compare to 1280 x 720? Also, hows the the deinterlacer? I ask becuase some hdtv's do a horrible job and for the money I am spending I want quality. Where did all you buy your 42hpx95 (I know the rules about $$$$)? Also, how do I know if I buy it online that the manufacture warranty will be valid
post #844 of 850 Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The scalers in most of the higher end sets are very good. SD will never look as good on an HDTV as it does on an SDTV, there is not much you can do about that. HD content makes up for it many times over IMO.

As long as you buy from an authorized Toshiba dealer, the warranty will be valid.

Good luck
post #845 of 850 Old 03-22-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

gkinma

You're right about a potential problem every few months with this. I've decided at this point to also keep the 8300HD dvr and run both the cablecard and the box. Believe it or not I really like the TVGuide (when it works) because I put all the channels I watch in whatever order I want. Also the quality of the signal is somewhat better with the cablecard over the STB.
We'll see what happens down the road though the next time BrightHouse sends out a firmware upgrade.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #846 of 850 Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Currently I have dish but if I buy a 42hpx95 will consider cable for the cable card and recording via firewire but here is my question: with dish I can have all the SD channels stretched to fit the screen to reduce uneven burn in and when I change channels to an HD channel it is perfectly formatted to the HD is 16:9 (no stretching). With cable card does this plasma do that (stretch the SD and correctly fit the HD channels)? I just don't to have to reformat the picture size every time I go from SD to HD channels. I know my wife will either watch HD stetched or SD in 4:3 if the set does not automatically fill the screen.
post #847 of 850 Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Curtis,

from using the tv, I beluieve that it remembers the stretch mode you last used for the type of signal it is receiving. I could be wrong about that, butit seems this way. There are 4 different stretch modes, plus the "native" mode. You can apply the stretches to any of the inputs.

I have seen the tv adjust when I change from an HD station, in native mode, back to the stretch mode for an SD station. It does this with no intervention on my part, although it does take a few seconds to make the switch. I find it very easy to live with.
post #848 of 850 Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 AM

How did you install the firmware with the SD card, i.e. does the Toshiba TV have a SD slot?

In another year or two, whenever Toshiba stops issuing firmware upgrades, then we all will have to give up our CableCards and go to a STB, right? This seems a terrible outcome, which will kill CableCards!!!
post #849 of 850 Old 03-26-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbrowN
How did you install the firmware with the SD card, i.e. does the Toshiba TV have a SD slot?

In another year or two, whenever Toshiba stops issuing firmware upgrades, then we all will have to give up our CableCards and go to a STB, right? This seems a terrible outcome, which will kill CableCards!!!
yes, it does have an sd slot.

lets not get ahead of ourselves here about the cablecard issue.
post #850 of 850 Old 04-08-2006, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say, and maybe it's just a cooincidence, but since upgrading the firmware the Symbio recorder has been working better. I was having audio issues when pausing live TV and then FF or jumping ahead there would be no sound. I haven't had that issue since the firmware update.

-Jody

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page