Toshiba 42HPX95 Impressions anyone? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
genericdvd

Glad to hear that so far you like it. Trust me it will only get better. It's been almost two months and not one problem. I've now had a cablecard in mine and no problems with that yet either <knocking on wood>.

I picked up SWIII yesterday and am practically drooling to see what it looks like on the plasma.

I just wish they would come out with some networked DVRs that work with both HD and SD (obviously not showing the HD programs on the SD tv). Having used networked ReplayTVs the past few years there's nothing like it.

Any thoughts of picking up the Toshiba Symbio HD DVR? It's okay, has some very limiting features but does the basic recording through the TV Guide well.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodeus
genericdvd

Glad to hear that so far you like it. Trust me it will only get better. It's been almost two months and not one problem. I've now had a cablecard in mine and no problems with that yet either <knocking on wood>.

I picked up SWIII yesterday and am practically drooling to see what it looks like on the plasma.
Damn!!! You guys ain't helping!!! :(

I've picked up my SW III DVD alright (ok, my wife did the honour when I was overseas)... I vowed to keep it in its sealed box until I get my plasma set - whenever the 42HPX95 decides to show up in my city!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:50 AM

As far as noise goes.

The 42hp95 is not quiet. but it is not a bad noise. It does have buzzing boards and the fan does run constantly. The fan is HIGHLY restricted so you hear the air movement (If It were not for the warranty I would pull the back cover off and cut it to accept a low noise 120MM there does appear to be room). The buzz is not bad but the fan may be annoying in a bedroom situation with low volume.

I tried to listen in the store but all the different units must come together in a sort of white noise I did not pick up on. That and I was listening to an "X" version, maybe it has better fan control (thermally controlled fan maybe?).

Of course I am coming from a first gen DLP that makes a good deal of noise when it is on (spinning color wheel I believe). So the GF will not mind and

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-05-2005, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have my 42HP95 in my livingroom which is not large 12 x 15 and the TV is in a wall unit that has a back on it. I know when I first power on the TV I have heard something like a fan start up, but I'm not sure. But once the TV is on and the sound is on even slightly, I hear absolutely nothing from the TV.

I made sure that there was no buzzing noise with this TV after reading the problems with the Dell 42" plasma and then some of the Panasonic units.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM

With GenericDVD's comment about the fan on his 42HP95, I decided once again to check mine for noise, because as I posted earlier, I did not detect any noise. I muted the TV and stood directly in front of the TV and still heard nothing. Only when I stuck my head around behind the TV with my head up next to the set did I detect the sound of the fan. If you are any distance at all away from the front of the TV even with the sound muted I can't can't hear anything. Bottom line, for me fan noise on the 42HP95 is absolutely a non issue.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Just wondering is your fan turning at all? Maybe yours has a heat sensor. Also what was your build month, maybe they changed fans (Mine is september 05).

On to more topics, has anyone played with the MPEG noise Reduction much? I find that anything other than "HIGH" gives me posterization. macroblocking etc like crazy. It is pretty well gone with it on high, but I do notice it ocassionally. I was watching PBS HD a few hours ago and there was a red gel washed up on a stage, with the setting on low there was severe banding, turn it to high and it just about gone.

Just wondering what you guys have seen.

Heh, something I just noticed when you mute it, it turns on CC automatically. Maybe not a big deal for most of you, but coming from the Samsung DLP with very little in the way of "Features" I am enjoying this Toshiba....
Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 PM

The fan on my 42HP95 seems to run all the time, when the television is on, of course. It is just extremely quiet, almost unnoticeable unless you stick your head back behind the screen. The build month on mine was August 2005.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just did the 'MUTE' test and put my head right in front of the screen and didn't hear anything. Granted I might be partially deaf but I don't think so.

I thought it was a cool feature to have the CC come on when you mute the channel. Then again, coming from a 14 year old 27" TV ANYTHING that is new and different is cool to me.

Watching Star Wars tomorrow, get the popcorn ready. I'm also going to be doing some tests on the 5.1 sound considering I haven't had a chance to really do that yet.

-Jody

Old 11-06-2005, 03:00 PM

Just hooked the 42hpx95 to our network (RJ45). We used the automatic setup which was very fast and easy. As we have the set in a cabinet we cannot get to the card slots on the side so we are using a networked PC and a shared directory for the picture viewer. The picture viewer is nice but simple. You can rotate images and run a slide show but there doesn't seem to be a zoom feature.

Our fan is audible when the sound is turned down. It goes on/off with the power so it doesn't seem to be thermally controlled.

Finally, realized last night that our progressive scan DVD player was only outputting 480i. Changed it to output 480p and then watched HellBoy. Picture was very nice.

Occasionally the set has problems with false contouring (ie clay face) on scenes with offscreen lighting. Has anyone worked with their settings (contrast, brightness, etc.) yet to improve the picture?

Also, when watching 2:35:1 DVD's the top and bottom bars flicker slightly unless we turn on the Dynamic Contrast. Anyone else see this?

Overall, after a week and 7 movies (double feature last night) we are very happy with the set. HD antenna should be here tomorrow.

Bryant
Old 11-07-2005, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Watched Star Wars III last night. All I can say is .........WOW!!!
After living in apartments the past six years and now having a house it's great to be able to use the subwoofer the way it was meant to be used.

The picture looked great. I'm using a normal Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD player using component out to the 42HP95.

I haven't seen the clayface that was mentioned though. What type of show were you watching and what was the input?

-Jody

Old 11-07-2005, 06:34 AM

I just did the 'MUTE' test and put my head right in front of the screen and didn't hear anything. Granted I might be partially deaf but I don't think so…

-Jody

Our fan is audible when the sound is turned down

-Bryant

????
Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 AM

Jodeus,

In SW III we noticed the clay face/false contouring in the scene where Anakin joins Palpatine in the skybox at the theater. When the camera swings around so that the 'show' is off screen, the side of the sky box has false contouring.

We saw some false contouring during 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within' last night after tweaking the set using a THX optimizer. Right now our picture settings for the component input from a Pany progressive DVD player are:

Contrast 40
Brightness 50
Color 38
Tint 0
Sharpness 50

Dynamic Contrast On
MPEG Noise Reduction Low
DNR Auto
Color Temp Warm

Are you running something similar?

Bryant
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Bryant

Currently, because I was following the Panasonic break-in period suggestion of keeping the contrast and brightness below 50, I have both of those set around 40.
I plan on calibrating the TV more in the coming week. I will check out that scene today though and let you know what I find.

-Jody

Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I just watched the scene in Star Wars Episode III again and I didn't see the clayface problem that you mentioned. I've read about clayface problems with the Samsung plasmas but what exactly did you see?

-Jody

Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I just watched the scene in Star Wars Episode III again and I didn't see the clayface problem that you mentioned. I've read about clayface problems with the Samsung plasmas but what exactly did you see?

-Jody
Just curious Jody, did you change your picture settings to match what bry999 is having when you test watched that scene?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bryant, if you take the TV out of the "dynamic" contrast mode it should help the clayface. Dynamic is better for sports but not great for movies.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

No I didn't change the settings. I should have thought of that!
MNF looks great tonight.

-Jody

Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Just got a chance tonight to watch Star Wars: Episode III on our 42HP95 and man did it look and sound great! I can't remember having a more cinematic experience watching something on a television. I definitely havn't watched any movie that showed off the beauty of the picture quality better than this one. I don't believe any plasma could do a better job to the naked eye than what I saw tonight.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 AM

The false contouring is less noticeable with 480p. We have dynamic contouring turned on because the black level in the top and bottom bars in 2:35:1 movies changes slightly otherwise. I don't notice it but my wife does.

These are very minor issues though. The PQ is very nice and we have not spent much time adjusting the sets. The DVD player also has a whole slew of adjustments so we have something like 10 variables to work with. So, far I have preferred to watch movies.

I watched MNF in HD last night. Awesome! Our DB4 antenna arrived yesterday afternoon so after work I put up a temporary mount on our second floor using a bucket and a PVC pipe. We only got 1 channel this way but is was ABC at 88%. :)

Bryant
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

GoinGoinGone

Did you watch Star Wars with the bars in its natural film aspect or a stretch mode?
I was tempted to go full screen but didn't and like you was blown away by the picture.

-Jody

Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Question: Is the memory card slot for picture viewing located on the front, side, or back of this set?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

When looking at the TV straight on, the card slots are on the left side of the TV.

-Jody

Old 11-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Jody,

I started watching it in its natural mode, but about an hour into the movie I stretched it to make it full screen and to my eye I couldn't tell any significant variation on the picture quality so I watched the remainder of it full screen. I'm going to start watching Gettysburg tonight. Can't wait.....
Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Question.....

I am considering buying one of the newer DVD players that hooks us with the HDMI cable and is suppose to "upconvert" the movies to near HD quality. But, some of the reading I've done lately has seemed to suggest that you may or may not notice an upgrade in the picture quality over what I currently have (a JVC progressive scan DVD player hooked up with the composite cables....I think that's what they're called....3 video and 2 audio). After watching that Star Wars: Episode III last night with my current set up I just can't hardly believe that I would be able to notice an significant upgrade in picture quality with any type of hook up. Has anyone compared the picture quality with the Toshiba 42HP95 with a good progressive scan DVD player and composite cables versus the new HDMI "upconverting" DVD players? Any input to enlighten me on this before I spend $200 to $300 would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinGoinGone
Question.....

I am considering buying one of the newer DVD players that hooks us with the HDMI cable and is suppose to "upconvert" the movies to near HD quality. But, some of the reading I've done lately has seemed to suggest that you may or may not notice an upgrade in the picture quality over what I currently have (a JVC progressive scan DVD player hooked up with the composite cables....I think that's what they're called....3 video and 2 audio). After watching that Star Wars: Episode III last night with my current set up I just can't hardly believe that I would be able to notice an significant upgrade in picture quality with any type of hook up. Has anyone compared the picture quality with the Toshiba 42HP95 with a good progressive scan DVD player and composite cables versus the new HDMI "upconverting" DVD players? Any input to enlighten me on this before I spend $200 to $300 would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on the viewing distance, you may not notice much. If you are watching from more than about 8 feet, there will not be HUGE difference. I was looking at buying a upconverting DVD player myself but I think I am just going to wait for HD-DVD or BlueRay. With a very large screen you might notice a difference, but on a 42" I would doubt a large improvement.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33
Depending on the viewing distance, you may not notice much. If you are watching from more than about 8 feet, there will not be HUGE difference. I was looking at buying a upconverting DVD player myself but I think I am just going to wait for HD-DVD or BlueRay. With a very large screen you might notice a difference, but on a 42" I would doubt a large improvement.
Not that I can confirm what slider33 says because I have not HD TV experience... (still waiting for my unit to show up in stores!!!) But I would like to believe what he says given the viewing distance and screen size... so that's good news for me because that means I don't "need" to worry about buying an up-converting DVD player... All I need is PS3 which plays HD-DVD, right? :)
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Not that I can confirm what slider33 says because I have not HD TV experience... (still waiting for my unit to show up in stores!!!) But I would like to believe what he says given the viewing distance and screen size... so that's good news for me because that means I don't "need" to worry about buying an up-converting DVD player... All I need is PS3 which plays HD-DVD, right? :)
BlueRay actually.... but yes.

I went to AVU today, not even an update.... the thing isn't even on the radar screen apparently :(
Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33
BlueRay actually.... but yes.

I went to AVU today, not even an update.... the thing isn't even on the radar screen apparently :(
My bad... yes, PS3 does Blu Ray instead... probably a very wrong place to ask this but while we've touched on it, why not throw it out :D PS3 doing Blu Ray means it won't be able to play regular good-old 480i DVD?

I just fired off another email to my contact at AVU (in Richmond), let's see what he tells me about the HPX95!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Just purchased a Yamaha home theater system last night and hooked it up to our 42HP95. I just thought the speakers that come on the 42HP95 were good until I hooked the television up to the Yamaha sound system. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Saving Private Ryan was on TNT last night in HD. With the HD picture from the Toshiba and the unbelievable surround sound from the Yamaha it was unreal. My advice is to definitely hook that plasma up to a good sound system because it makes a world of difference. Just my thoughts.....
Old 11-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Had my local cable company come by today and install a cablecard into my 42HP95. So far so good.
-Jody

Jody, I've been going through fits and starts with my cablecard install. It just hangs at the acquiring channels message. I can watch the channel it is on, but can't tune to other channels on input 0 (the cable input). I did get it top work for about an hour this AM, then but had to cut power to the house to do some work. I went back to the TV and no more cable channels.

If I pull the card I get the unencrypted stuff fine, but no movies channels or HD etc...

I have firmware 1.58 and in talking to Toshiba today they are sending me a later version. Can you tell me what version you are running and if you had to so anything special to get the cablecard to work properly? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks