Download Break In DVD (SVCD) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
instantpop, never tried it on a Mac. I can try it on my iMac running OSX Tiger one of these days and see if I can get it to work.
-Evangelo2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That be awesome, Evangelo. If you get a chance, let me know how it goes!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Evangelo,

I also see a faint bar in the middle of the screen (no straight edges on it, it just fades in and out into a "light saber" like bar) with some of the colors in your break in dvd.

I burned the SVCD version and can see the bar more easily in darker grays and pinks. I noticed that I could see the bar as IR for a few minutes with an input screen with no signal after breaking in the set for 100 hours already with your disc.. It went away with about an hour of viewing Discovery HD. Now I'm afraid to keep going to the 200 mark with it, however I don't see it made any permanent damage to my tv so Im not worried about it.

The TV i have is a panasonic 50px60u and Im playing it with a Sony 85h dvd player. Unfortunately I don't have any other dvd player to try and see if that is the culprit. I also tested some color patterns from my cable box screen saver and I dont see a faint bar on that input, so it could very well be the dvd players.

Any ideas? Try looking a the faint pink slides from your DVD, do you see anything like what we're talking about on it?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hidefLoans,
Just to be safe I would not go to the 200 hour mark with it. Not sure why you see any bar at all. The images are just one color throughout made with photoshop so no color bars should be visible at all. It may be a good idea to try popping a DVD into your DVD player that has bright solid colors on the screen. Pause and look for a similliar bar. It may be your player or possibly something with the panny plasma that is not a problem (not sure since I do not ahve experience with Panny's).
-Evangelo2
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza View Post

Hi,

I have just purchased a new Panny 42PX60 and am in the break in period. I am having trouble finding the definitive answer on how I should set the contrast/brightness/color while I run the break in DVD overnight.

Should they be turned all the way down? In the middle? Up a little higher? I think most of the settings go from -30 to 0 to +30. If anyone could help me out on the best settings while running the DVD I would appreciate it. I want to treat this new addition to my home like a fine automobile!

thanks!

Got this from the The OFFICIAL Panasonic 9UK Owner's Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2 View Post

For break in:

Press Picture control on remote

Change to Cinema,

reduce picture to negative (contrast)

reduce brightness to negative...

Set to warm

Go to screen saver menu, turn on wobbling in screen saver menu, number 2 setting. (this is a pixel shift)

The idea is you don't want to blast it with light. I used like -10 Picture setting and -5 Brightness for the first 50 hours, then gradually moved it up to about -1 or so.

Evangelo2, I just got my 42PH9UK today and am running your DVD from my PS2 via component and Progressive scan ON. So far I'm rocking a cool 3 hours... haha long way to go ;-) but it works flawlessly! Thanks much!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WOW! That is sweet that panny outlines this for users I dont have a panny so I usually tell people my pio settings for beak in (Energy Saver On, birghtness = -8, contrast = 10). These are the settings I used while running the DVD.
I eventually ramped up to Contrast = 20, Brightness = 0.

Now when I watch tv I use Contrast = 32 and Brightness = 8 based on the HD Net Test Patterns.

-Evangelo2
Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 AM

Hey Evangelo,

Any luck burning that DVD with your Mac? I downloaded the Video_TS version of it and am not sure what I am supposed to do next!

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 AM

Any chance of getting that reverse burn-in DVD image?

If time is a factor, I'd be willing to try if you tell me how you made the current DVD. I've got Photoshop and Nero
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 PM
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

WOW! That is sweet that panny outlines this for users I dont have a panny so I usually tell people my pio settings for beak in (Energy Saver On, birghtness = -8, contrast = 10). These are the settings I used while running the DVD.
I eventually ramped up to Contrast = 20, Brightness = 0.

Now when I watch tv I use Contrast = 32 and Brightness = 8 based on the HD Net Test Patterns.

-Evangelo2

Hey, this was posted by a user Evangelo2 ;-) so we should thank the user (and all others providing sound advice)

15 hours, yay! =p 85 more to go to finish 100 hour mark...
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Thank's Evangelo2.

Here's what I did

I downloaded your
Breakin_DVD_R_NRG.zip (12549kb) on 2006/8/4
from
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/downloads.htm
I unzipped it to
C:\ emp\\Home Theatre\\Nero_BreakInDVD\\NRG\\Breakin DVD-R.nrg
(441921 kb, 2006/5/2)

I'm using Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.

I went to http://www.nero.com/enu/Downloads.html
and downloaded "Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced Trial Version"
and got a
Nero-7.5.9.0A_eng.exe (154,581kb) 2006/12/7

Installed Nero-7.5.9.0A_eng.exe.
Without the ASK TOOLBAR browser add in. I used the custom settings to install -- but left them all unchanged. I didn't allow it to use Nero for anything (images, video, audio, icons) -- no file types, no desktop icons, etc -- I selected 'remove all' on each/all the tabs. Said it was installing over a gigabyte of files.
It installed Microsoft DirectX9c, forcing a reboot of my WindowsXP.

After the reboot It had put something on my task bar -- which I removed after unselecting a bunch of indexing options.
It also added an entry to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Run
which I also removed.

I
Start > Programs > Nero 7 Demo > Data > Nero Burning ROM
On the Nero toolbar, near the right, I clicked on "Choose a recorder", and selected my SONY DVD RW DRU-720A IDE drive.
I inserted a blank SONY DVD-R 4.7GB 1x-8x disk. [When WindowsXP asked me what to do with it, I pushed CANCEL, because I wanted Nero to deal with it instead]
On the Nero toolbar, near the left, I clicked on "New". From the top left drop down it was set to "CD", so I selected "DVD".
I then clicked on the "OPEN" button near the bottom, and opened
C:\ emp\\Home Theatre\\Nero_BreakInDVD\\NRG\\Breakin DVD-R.nrg
This opened up the BURN tab, and I left "Write" checked, and under Write Speed I reduced it from 8x to 6x(8310 kb/s) because sometimes disks won't write at top speed.
I pushed the BURN button.
After it started burning, I clicked on the "Verify" checkbox on the bottom left. After about 10 minutes it was done, including verification. No errors, and it auto-ejected the DVD.

I then put it into my Toshiba HD-XA1, and hit play.
A white screen appeared on my tv.
I tried fast forward on the remote, but that was refused.
After about 30 seconds I noticed that the chapter number went up. So I tried next chapter button on the remote, and clicked through about 65 chapters.
There are various flavours of white, that slowly become RED.
Then there are more whites, that slowly become BLUE.
Then there are more whites, that slowly become GREEN.

Seems to work fine.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BasementBob,
Sounds like you did it right Make sure there are no black bars on the screen when you are playing the disc. Every pixel should be lit.

I should also have a disc to "reverse" burn in 4:3 static bars for those who have suffered from that type of image problem. I can't do much testing since I do not have this problem but I can make the pattern correctly

-Evangelo2
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Evangelo2:

Part of the reason I posted above was I went looking through the master burn in thread and this one looking for some instructions, and didn't find any.

Quote:

but I can make the pattern correctly

I don't suppose you could tell me how (or if you're feeling the Spirit of Christmas to put together a .nrg file!) to make a disk with

- 100 IRE (white)
- 0 IRE (black, blacker than black)
- all BLUE
- all RED
- all GREEN

that I can pause on each of these five.

This is for looking for stuck pixels (stuck on, stuck off). It doesn't need to run for 24 hours. But the pause button on the remote should work. Alternatively 5 minutes for each frame/colour, and the next chapter button, would be fine.

I have AVIA and DVE, but getting to their test patterns is a whole bunch of clicks. On one I can find RED, GREEN, BLUE, but not a 0 IRE black nor 100 IRE white. I haven't looked at the other yet.

Obviously I've never used Nero before -- well a little bit yesterday but that doesn't count.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No problem Bob,
I used photoshop to make the original disc. All images are native 720p resolution (which I know gets changed when put into DVD or SVCD format.
All Blue\\Red\\Green\\White is very easy with photoshop (or MS Paint probably . Just create a file of the correct resolution and filll the whole image with the solid color.
Not sure about different IRE levels (if you jsut want pure black and pure white this is easy for a PS point of view but i know different players have different IRE settings for white\\black).
To put it all together I used Nero and made a photo slide DVD. I set each picture to stay ons creen for 30 seconds and recopied my slideshow about 30 times on the disc.
-Evangelo2
Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Evangelo2:

It works. I have a DVD with white/black/red/green/blue.

That was pretty easy. I created five .bmp files of 1280x720 pixels. I used Paint -- and verified that each was the pure RGB colour.
I think I ran
- Start > Programs > Nero 7 demo > Photo and Video > Nero Vision
then
- Make A Slide Show > DVD Video
Loaded in the images. Used properties to set each to 10 minutes. Clicked on every option I could find (e.g. 16:9) before hitting Next each time, and eventually I had a DVD.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:

BasementBob,
Sounds like you did it right Make sure there are no black bars on the screen when you are playing the disc. Every pixel should be lit.

I should also have a disc to "reverse" burn in 4:3 static bars for those who have suffered from that type of image problem. I can't do much testing since I do not have this problem but I can make the pattern correctly

-Evangelo2

Cool. Please let us know when you have the pattern. I'll be the beta tester ;-)

So I understand: the .bmp solid color files for the basic burn in CD would be 1280X720p. How big is the 4:3 zone in the center in pixels? Just make that zone solid black on top of the basic color slides and then burn a new slide show.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

That be awesome, Evangelo. If you get a chance, let me know how it goes!

InstantPop,

Use the Disk Utility application that is in your \\Applications\\Utilities folder on your hdd.

There is a menu choice for 'Images', 'Burn...'

It will then ask you to select which image. Point it at the unzipped ISO file, and shove the appropriate media into the drive.

Voila. (no fancy software needed on a Mac. =D Although if you really want to use something fancy, Roxio Toast software does a bang up job at burning also)

E.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:26 AM

hi, sorry if i asked this question before. but im breaking in a 50" panasonic plasma, and i want to know how low should i set the contrast/ratio? should i set it to zero? 1? 10? 15?

please lemme know a.s.a.p since i have just started running the break-in DVD.

thanks.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I kept mine at 10-15% of the total values (e.g. if it goes from -50 to +50 I set it to -35). This was just while running the break in DVD.
When watching regular programs I used Avia calibrated settings and HD Net Test Pattern settings.

-Evangelo2
Old 12-24-2006, 12:24 PM

You're good leaving everything at zeros. That's what most have done with this set.

Want a PS3 that can actually BE a media center?
Speak up! It's the best way.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Corporate/ContactUs/ConsumerServices
Old 12-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 490

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 12-25-2006, 04:08 AM

another quick question. i'm so far 16 hours into the break in, can i watch TV for a bit? cuz the wife is hassling me and she wants to watch cable TV and cannot stand waiting for another 3-4 days till the break in is complete.

can we? or should we just wait till it breaks in at 100 hours?

thanks!
Old 12-25-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Go ahead and enjoy it! The disk will help speed up the break-in.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:44 AM

sweet, thanks. it's been on now for a continuous 36 hours none stop. i'll just keep it going unless we get desperate to watch TV
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post

sweet, thanks. it's been on now for a continuous 36 hours none stop. i'll just keep it going unless we get desperate to watch TV

Ys, zoom in. There should be no unlit pixels.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 PM

thanks again. 1 more day and i complete the continuously 100 hour break in thanks to you Evangelo2.

once the 100 are complete, should i watch TV regularly(in widescreen of course) as in increase the contrast and brightness? since both are set to zero at the moment(it's a panasonic 50" Viera....still very bright even at zero brightness/contrast)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Ys, zoom in. There should be no unlit pixels.

actually, i just realized right after i posted my question that that black border i was seeing wasn't actually part of the viewing screen, it was just a border.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post

thanks again. 1 more day and i complete the continuously 100 hour break in thanks to you Evangelo2.

once the 100 are complete, should i watch TV regularly(in widescreen of course) as in increase the contrast and brightness? since both are set to zero at the moment(it's a panasonic 50" Viera....still very bright even at zero brightness/contrast)

Marwan, after 100 hours I used AVIA calibrated values and just varied my viewing. I also had the side pillar bars (for 4:3) material) set to gray. I pretty much watched whatever I wanted after 100 hours. I didnt game on it until after 200 hours.
-Evangelo2
Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Evangelo2 -

can you use the DVD image on any DVD player? I have an older Panasonic XP30 which can output 480p or 480i over component.

I am expecting to get a Pio 6070HD soon - would the scaler in the Pio upscale the 480i or p as necessary?

Am I ok as long as i Zoom?

Thx.

V.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:57 PM

I see on the download page evangelo is running this disk until he hits 1,000 hours. The download page says 100-200 hours. I also see this post was started back in 05. Is this still recommended on today's plasmas? I have not yet picked mine up yet is why I ask. Are you still watching the TV during the break in period running this disk through the evening hours?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsapra View Post

Evangelo2 -

can you use the DVD image on any DVD player? I have an older Panasonic XP30 which can output 480p or 480i over component.

I am expecting to get a Pio 6070HD soon - would the scaler in the Pio upscale the 480i or p as necessary?

Am I ok as long as i Zoom?

Thx.

V.

You should be able to use the DVD on any player, providing you burn it to media that your player will accept. The pioneer will upscale as needed. Zoom or Wide would be a good setting to fill the screen. I prefer Wide if I want to fill the screen.

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite