Download Break In DVD (SVCD) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1285 Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, im new here, and noob to all this. But what advantages would i get from breaking in a Plasma screen? and does this apply to LCD TVs as well? cuz im planning on buying a 52" Sony Bravia 1080p TV.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1285 Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 AM

Hi,

I have just purchased a new Panny 42PX60 and am in the break in period. I am having trouble finding the definitive answer on how I should set the contrast/brightness/color while I run the break in DVD overnight.

Should they be turned all the way down? In the middle? Up a little higher? I think most of the settings go from -30 to 0 to +30. If anyone could help me out on the best settings while running the DVD I would appreciate it. I want to treat this new addition to my home like a fine automobile!

thanks!
post #243 of 1285 Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 AM

anyone?
post #244 of 1285 Old 12-04-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Marwan, you need tp break in a plasma because the first 100 hours are the most sensitive. As the phosphours age, burn in and image retention becomes less of an issue but the first 100 hours are most critical. LCD's do not work with phosophours being lit up so you don't have to worry about this.

kluza, I turned all my settings way down while the disc was running. On your sets scale it would be the equivalent to Contrast = -20 and Brightness = -20. I did this incase my DVD player locked up in a strange way that everything would be turned totally low so no fear of it getting burned in.

-Evangelo2
post #245 of 1285 Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM

gotcha, thanks Evangelo2
post #246 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 AM

If some kind soul would take pity on me, I could really use a variation of this burn in DVD that is modified to have the 4:3 section of the screen stay black and just rotate the colors on the bars that are left on either side of the 4:3 viewing area.

Like a fool, I didn't do my research and let the kids watch too many 4:3 shows on my HP PL4260N without zoom when it was new. I have slight burn-in in the 4:3 section of the screen now.

To try and "catch up" the pixels in the bars, I recorded part of a commercial from the NFL network that had gray side bars and a black screen in the 4:3 area. I've been pausing on that shot and leaving it on the screen but my DVR will only pause for 10 min. before going back to live TV.

I could really use an "anti 4:3" burn in DVD to run over night. Santa are you listening?
post #247 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought of making "reverse" burn in disc for quite some time now. Maybe Ill throw a few patterns together on a DVD this weekend.
-Evangelo2
post #248 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

I thought of making "reverse" burn in disc for quite some time now. Maybe Ill throw a few patterns together on a DVD this weekend.
-Evangelo2

That would be great. I would really appreciate it! Thanks for all your help.
post #249 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Folks,

I just created the Burn-In DVD (on a DVD-R) last night using the Nero image. When I play it on my Toshiba DVD player (connected to my Panny 50PX60U with component) the following happens:

1) It displays a all white screen but with black bars on top & bottom UNLESS I change the Aspect to ZOOM. Shouldn't the screen be changing colors with this Burn-IN DVD? Has anyone else been able to see all color screen without zooming?

2) The timer count on the DVD player display changes in a wierd manner, as if it is playing chapters of unequal lenghts (28 sec, 1:03 min, 58 sec etc.) and it also stops that timer count at times asif the DVD was stuck and trying to read but then resumes it self. I can't really tell it if skips or gets stuck because the screen is always ALL WHITE!!
Is it normal for this DVD to have even chapters? Did I do something wrong?

The plasma has the Ver 1.25 firmware and picture settings are at:
Mode: Standard
Picture: 0
Brightness: 0
Color: -6
Tint: -4
Sharpness: -20
Color Temp: Normal
Black Level: Light

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this so I can properly burin-in my plasma!!

THANK YOU!!
post #250 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgc View Post

Folks,

I just created the Burn-In DVD (on a DVD-R) last night using the Nero image. When I play it on my Toshiba DVD player (connected to my Panny 50PX60U with component) the following happens:

1) It displays a all white screen but with black bars on top & bottom UNLESS I change the Aspect to ZOOM. Shouldn't the screen be changing colors with this Burn-IN DVD? Has anyone else been able to see all color screen without zooming?

2) The timer count on the DVD player display changes in a wierd manner, as if it is playing chapters of unequal lenghts (28 sec, 1:03 min, 58 sec etc.) and it also stops that timer count at times asif the DVD was stuck and trying to read but then resumes it self. I can't really tell it if skips or gets stuck because the screen is always ALL WHITE!!
Is it normal for this DVD to have even chapters? Did I do something wrong?

The plasma has the Ver 1.25 firmware and picture settings are at:
Mode: Standard
Picture: 0
Brightness: 0
Color: -6
Tint: -4
Sharpness: -20
Color Temp: Normal
Black Level: Light

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this so I can properly burin-in my plasma!!

THANK YOU!!

Hmm...sounds like your DVD player is not set to output 16:9 at 1080i. Can you set it to do that? The DVD works fine on my Samsung DVD-R135.

I burned it onto a DVD-RW using Nero Express 6. Works great.
post #251 of 1285 Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

coolgc , the screen should be changing colors. Some of the shades of grey in the beginning may be barely indistinguishable but it should cycle to reds\\greens and blues. It each shade should alst 30 seconds and at the 45 minute mark it should restart. This should go on for about 24 hours on this disc. It may not be playing the slideshow right on your dd player. What happens when you play it on your pc?
-Evangelo2
post #252 of 1285 Old 12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone used a Mac to burn the DVD? Are there any tricks or is it even possible? If it is, do I burn both files (.ISO and .MDS) to the DVD or just the .ISO file? Thanks.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #253 of 1285 Old 12-06-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprot View Post

I use the DVD and it works great. I use it here and there when I'm not watching something.

I have one question. It may be just me or a kind of optical illusion but, I see kind of a slightly darker horizontal "line" directly in the center of my TH-58PX600U. I'm about 10FT away and I only see it on the lighter colored screens of the break-in DVD. Particualrly on the white screens.

It really isn't that noticeable and not really a "line" just slightly darker in the center across the horizontal than anywhere else. My set is brand new and I wanted to see if anyone else sees this using this DVD.

I thought it might be my picture settings. I'm using Cinema and have all settings at -7 or below. Would someone mind taking a look and possibly tweaking their setting to match mine and let me know if you can make it out.

Like I said it's more like an optical illusion but, I'm pretty sure it's there. I've been using the DVD for about 2 weeks now (off and on). Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed this until today.

Regards.

I'm seeing this too - anyone else seeing it? I've got a Panny TH-50PX6U and I'm worried about using the DVD any longer if that discoloration is gonna stick. I'm also using a Sony DVP-NS75H to play the DVD on, and tried it all all resolutions, still seeing the "bar" across the middle.
post #254 of 1285 Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 AM

wait, is this break in procedure for 100 hours or 1000 hours? and does this mean i cannot use the Plasma for anything untill i hit 100 hours?
post #255 of 1285 Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

100-200 hours, and go ahead and enjoy watching your plasma. They say it's the 1st 100hrs that is most critical. Just play the disk in between viewing to speed up the break-in.
post #256 of 1285 Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm having a little trouble getting this disc to burn properly.

I've tried to burn the DVD on my PowerMac using both the .ISO file and the .NRG file. Neither DVD would play in my player (Denon DVD-1600).

Then, I tried to burn the SVCD on my PC. It won't play, either.

Do I have to use Nero to burn this? My PC doesn't have a DVD burner, which is why I was using the Mac.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #257 of 1285 Old 12-10-2006, 09:07 PM

Does anyone know if this disc loops? Most DVD's will stop when movie is finished or goes to the menu screen. Does this disc stop or does it loop back?
post #258 of 1285 Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Sorry guys, misunderstood Evangelo2's post about the 24 hour mark.
post #259 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosila View Post

Does anyone know if this disc loops? Most DVD's will stop when movie is finished or goes to the menu screen. Does this disc stop or does it loop back?

yah i wanna know too.

ithink someone mentioned it loops for 16 hours? i'm not sure though.....someone verify that? thanks!
post #260 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The DVD version loops for 24hrs just like skosila posted. The SVCD goes for 16.
post #261 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 AM

awesome news. i'll burn it on DVD as soon as i get back home....my Panasonic Plasma is brand new, never been turned on.
post #262 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

marwan,
It's important to properly break in your plasma but still enjoy it. Net weekend the Lord of The Ring movies will be on in HD on TNT so that should be a treat if you get the channel Make sure that your DVD player can smoothly play from the 44 minute mark past the 45 minute mark. This transition gives some DVD players trouble since it is actually skipping to a new slideshow at that point. Also turn down your brightness and contrast settings while running the rbeak in DVD to be extra safe (turn them real low to be extra safe, that's what I did).
-Evangelo2
post #263 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM

should the contrast and brightness be turned down to zero? and will the DVD version run the slides for 24 hours without any modification....or should i do some kind of setting to my DVD player?
post #264 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't turn it down to 0. I turned mine down to 1/5th of the total birghtness and contrast while running the disc.
The DVD version should run the slides for 24 hours without any modifications but some DVD players do not play it correctly. Just giving some tips so you can make sure your DVD player does
-Evangelo2
post #265 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

I'm having a little trouble getting this disc to burn properly.

I've tried to burn the DVD on my PowerMac using both the .ISO file and the .NRG file. Neither DVD would play in my player (Denon DVD-1600).

Then, I tried to burn the SVCD on my PC. It won't play, either.

Do I have to use Nero to burn this? My PC doesn't have a DVD burner, which is why I was using the Mac.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Can anyone else comment on this?
I tried to burn the video last week as well and was having the exact same problems.
I have a program that will burn .iso's no problem and it didn't work with this file. Additionally, I downloaded the Video-TS file and converted that to an .iso using another program I had. Ripped that to CD and still wouldn't play.

The only thing I can think is that it is a S-VCD problem. It's just odd as my dvd player plays everything I throw at it... so I would be surprised it wouldn't play this.
I'll try burning it again and running it through the PS3 and see if that can do it.

If not, does anyone have a version you could share that could be run through a standard dvd player? Even if I have to restart it each time it finished (I believe that is the benefit of S-VCD - longer running time).

Thanks!

Want a PS3 that can actually BE a media center?
Speak up! It's the best way.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Corporate/ContactUs/ConsumerServices
post #266 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There should be no benefit with SVCD. The DVD has only the benefit of playing for longer periods of time.

The disc was created with Nero. This can be very player sensitive since players handle picture slideshows different ways. I posted above about the key moments to look for after you get a succesfull burn. You may want to try and use DVD ecrypter to burn the iso on the site since I used that program to create it. That or use the .nrg file with Nero (I posted my Nero version somewhere in there).

-Evangelo2
post #267 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 11:32 AM

Is it acceptable to break-in a plasma without using this DVD? Would, for example, leaving the set on HD Discovery most of the time do the same thing? My Discover HD over here doesn't use a logo of any kind, which is pretty cool.
post #268 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

Is it acceptable to break-in a plasma without using this DVD? Would, for example, leaving the set on HD Discovery most of the time do the same thing? My Discover HD over here doesn't use a logo of any kind, which is pretty cool.

Should be ok as well. The disc does provide a uniform picture which may have very slight advantages. Key is you want no logos or bars on the screen. No static images either and to date Discovery HD has been decent about this.
-Evangelo2
post #269 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Evangelo. Good to know. Gonna be picking up my Pioneer 5070/1 later this week and am not sure if I will have success burning the DVD with my G5. Just want to have an alternative in my back pocket.
post #270 of 1285 Old 12-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

There should be no benefit with SVCD. The DVD has only the benefit of playing for longer periods of time.

The disc was created with Nero. This can be very player sensitive since players handle picture slideshows different ways. I posted above about the key moments to look for after you get a succesfull burn. You may want to try and use DVD ecrypter to burn the iso on the site since I used that program to create it. That or use the .nrg file with Nero (I posted my Nero version somewhere in there).

-Evangelo2

Right on. I'll just try it again tonight. I realized that I was trying to burn the DVD file not the S-VCD file, so I should have had any problems. Additionally, I was actually using DVD decryptor, so I am really surprised I was having problems.
I'll try again and report back tomorrow.

Thanks-

Want a PS3 that can actually BE a media center?
Speak up! It's the best way.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Corporate/ContactUs/ConsumerServices
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page