Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK availability update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just for the hell of it, I looked up the email of Hal Morrison, Panasonic's national sales manager for displays, and asked him what availability for the TH-50PHD8UKs was looking like. I was pleasantly surprised to get a response (over the weekend, yet):

"They are very tight but some should be in toward later part of this month [October]."

So there you go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
The TH-42PHD8UK are around, however its looking like about 3 weeks and counting for the 50".
Old 10-16-2005, 07:53 PM

Will , good that you contacted Panasonic,
us retailers get the same response too.
So when we tell everyone "expected date is end of the month" we're not joking :-)
I'd add a some time to this guys response too... he probably meant arrival date to distributors

T
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Just got this info from my local Panasonic Rep:

Quote:
Thanks for calling. As the phone connection was bad I did not hear all of
your questions. One that I did hear was regarding delivery. Well, that's not
good news for you nor for me. There are 3000 units on back-order with
Panasonic......1600 are going through customs...that still leaves 1400 on
back order. Panasonic is projecting that this situation will not clear until
late this year...I read that as after Christmas. But, the rep's do have
allocation allotments and that helps in these type of situations.
We can place one on order for you in hopes of getting a break on
allocations.
I've got one on order from an internet merchant. Not sure if it's worth switching over to my rep.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:28 PM

I also got an immediate response from a Panasonic rep about this situation. Certainly not the news they would like to be passing on, but kudos to them for stating as such and responding to the many inquiries they are getting.

Especially since many dealers continue to quote "a couple weeks" on new orders.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

i talked to panny too. i hear, and this is for the consumer 50, that they might not get any in until DECEMBER

this is going to start costing panny some sales, tho. they really underestimated the demand for 50" units

as for the 508uk ... frustrating. i live near TV authority, but their price, like just about everybody's, is jacked right now due to the shortage. add tax and it's not a good deal. the price on the 42s have mostly hit what they're gonna hit -- low to mid 20s. but the 50s are still inflated. right before the shortage hit they were all going under 3K on the price searches and trending down....you should be able to get out the door on these things for about 2900, if that. but no...

what's really weird is that, after a year of waiting, i got the money. i'm ready to buy. and suddenly, nobody has what i want (at least, not at a non-jacked price).
Old 10-20-2005, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I preordered my 50PHD8UK 2 weeks ago from TV Authority, and I'm assuming they will honor the price I ordered it at, which was under 3k.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
i talked to panny too. i hear, and this is for the consumer 50, that they might not get any in until DECEMBER

this is going to start costing panny some sales, tho. they really underestimated the demand for 50" units

as for the 508uk ... frustrating. i live near TV authority, but their price, like just about everybody's, is jacked right now due to the shortage. add tax and it's not a good deal. the price on the 42s have mostly hit what they're gonna hit -- low to mid 20s. but the 50s are still inflated. right before the shortage hit they were all going under 3K on the price searches and trending down....you should be able to get out the door on these things for about 2900, if that. but no...

what's really weird is that, after a year of waiting, i got the money. i'm ready to buy. and suddenly, nobody has what i want (at least, not at a non-jacked price).

Are you near LAX?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailzer
I preordered my 50PHD8UK 2 weeks ago from TV Authority, and I'm assuming they will honor the price I ordered it at, which was under 3k.
uh..last i checked their website, its still under 3k....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 AM

FYI,
Ordered mine from VA on 10-05, shipped on 10-14 and DHL called yesterday to schedule delivery today (10-20), Yea!

Pan 50PHD8UK
Oppo OPDV971H
SA 8300HD (BH)
Outlaw 990/7125
Klipschorn mains
LaScala center and surrounds
SVS PB12-Plus/2 sub
Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I had a case of dumb luck. Chumbo.com started listing these for sale on Monday (10/17); they were sold out by that afternoon. I got an order in, and mine is being delivered today.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier
I had a case of dumb luck. Chumbo.com started listing these for sale on Monday (10/17); they were sold out by that afternoon. I got an order in, and mine is being delivered today.
interesting, never heard of them. checked their web site, it's not listed. now there's novel idea! don't list products you don't have in stock, some of the dealers could learn from that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell
uh..last i checked their website, its still under 3k....
uh, plus shipping, plus tax is definitely not under 3K.

the only number that matters is what you pay, anything else is just sales talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
Are you near LAX?
i am. i assume you're referring to laplasma or plasmatv4less? checked with them, they can't get me out the door for anything less than 3100.

my "problem" if you can call it that, is that my employer has deal through panasonic where i can get the 50px50u for about 3K shipped. 'course, i prefer the commerical unit, but especially after you factor the stand an an extra component imput, i'm looking at paying about 400 more for the essentially stripped down model, which is tough to justify. so i've placed an order with panasonic for the PX, but they're also backordered through december. so i figured if i can find a great 8uk deal in the meantime, i'll go fer it instead.

it's just weird to call people and say 'i'll give you 2900 for a freakin TV' and they're like, 'um ... nah, not worth it.' but i can't buy this thing and then, as soon as this log jam ends, stand to watch everything go back down again, which i'm certain is going to happen. spent too long planning this to set myself up for buyers remourse.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
interesting, never heard of them. checked their web site, it's not listed. now there's novel idea! don't list products you don't have in stock, some of the dealers could learn from that
It's listed, but you do have to dig through the site for it (and it's now marked OUT OF STOCK). Doesn't pop up on their search feature. From talking to Chumbo's customer support, I believe they only started selling big screens this last Monday. They've been around for a while in computers and components, though.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier
It's listed, but you do have to dig through the site for it (and it's now marked OUT OF STOCK). Doesn't pop up on their search feature. From talking to Chumbo's customer support, I believe they only started selling big screens this last Monday. They've been around for a while in computers and components, though.
ah, there it is, yeah...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

uh, plus shipping, plus tax is definitely not under 3K.

the only number that matters is what you pay, anything else is just sales talk

i am. i assume you're referring to laplasma or plasmatv4less? checked with them, they can't get me out the door for anything less than 3100.

my "problem" if you can call it that, is that my employer has deal through panasonic where i can get the 50px50u for about 3K shipped. 'course, i prefer the commerical unit, but especially after you factor the stand an an extra component imput, i'm looking at paying about 400 more for the essentially stripped down model, which is tough to justify. so i've placed an order with panasonic for the PX, but they're also backordered through december. so i figured if i can find a great 8uk deal in the meantime, i'll go fer it instead.

it's just weird to call people and say 'i'll give you 2900 for a freakin TV' and they're like, 'um ... nah, not worth it.' but i can't buy this thing and then, as soon as this log jam ends, stand to watch everything go back down again, which i'm certain is going to happen. spent too long planning this to set myself up for buyers remourse.
Yes, Plasmatv4less. I was at Fry's today and they had a bunch in stock.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

of course frys will have a bunch in stock when theyre charging 3**9...same as every other b and m...posted price anyway..
Old 10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

fry's carries the commercial units? do they price match?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

btw, pcconnection is out of stock until november 18
Old 10-21-2005, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

frys is a consumer store. they will not have commercial models.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

this is going to be a LOL question, i'm sure. but is there any way to fit a fully boxed 508uk into a honda civic? like if you slide it into the trunk and fold down the seats and stuff? how thick is the box?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
this is going to be a LOL question, i'm sure. but is there any way to fit a fully boxed 508uk into a honda civic? like if you slide it into the trunk and fold down the seats and stuff? how thick is the box?
The packaging isn't designed to be laid on it's side. It's very likely that the glass might break. Vertically, there is no way you are getting it in a civic. The 42" doesn't even fit in a 4runner if I recall previous posts correctly. Rent or borrow a pickup on a sunny day.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:58 AM

TH-50PHD8UK factory packaging box 37"H x 57"W x 17"D
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 AM

VA now lists the availability as "Late November".
Old 10-24-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42
VA now lists the availability as "Late November".
Suckass. I have one on order from a few weeks ago that will supposedly ship today. I'll get on the phone with them later and let all of you know whether it actually goes through.

Clarification: My order is not with Visual Apex.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Yeah, I replied to the back order email I received two weeks ago stating "end of October" and asked if it still flies with my order. Will also post results.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking of ordering the Panasonic TH-37PWD8UK EDTV version. Does anyone know if it's good?

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

so can somebody with experience in these matters say what to expect when these things come in. i mean, will suddenly everybody have a bunch of them around the same date? or will, one place at time, slowly get restocked? reason i ask is because everybody who's out is saying about the same thing so it makes me think there's a like a big master shipment coming in or something....
Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
First they have to get rid of the backlog of preorders. Then if any are left there will be "in stock" units. Depending who you talk to usually there are different dates available. (usually within a week of each other.) They usually come in once a week. The bottom line is Panasonic decides when and how many they are going to ship. If you know you want one jump on a list somewhere or it will be quite sometime before they are in stock for an extended period of time.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM

Given my space and budget constraints, I choose this model (with ISF calibration which I will have done after another 25 hours of break-in) over the 200 lb. gorilla Sony 34" CRT and other Plasmas and LCD's in my price range and have not regretted it for a second. I know it's redundant to say this on this forum, but it can not be overstated, the inky blacks this panel produces make for truly enjoyable picture quality. DVD's, HD, SD all are fantastic from 7 to 12 feet.

To see it for yourself, go to a few B&M stores and pay attention to the black levels different sets produce (along with color, resolution, noise...) and pay attention to how deep and realistic a picture each TV renders.

What sold me was a seeing 42" ED Panny in a B&B that blew away a wall full of HD plasmas in black level and was as good or better in overall picture quality. Then seeing the stunning picture quality of a decently set up 42" ED Fujitsu at a Magnolia and figuring that if I could get the picture quality of an ED '8uk to fall somewhere in between them at home I could wait another 3-5 years for a larger HD panel.

Good Luck

Alan
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 PM

VA called and said the "late November" date is for new orders and the one I placed 2 weeks ago will ship as soon as they get it, which will be "in a couple of days."