Official XBox 360, Plasma/LCD Thread!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that the official XBOX 360 launch magazine recommended an LCD and specifically recommended against plasma. Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Also note that MS picked LCDs for all of their Kiosks to show off and ultamately help sell the system. I dont want this thread to turn into a Plasma vs. LCD flamewar but I really think that LCD is the best way to go for gaming on the XBox 360. I am not saying that plasmas are bad or anything like that. I know there are some individuals who hapily game on their plasmas and have no problems with it. What does everyone else think? Which is going to be the better way to go for XBox 360 Plasma or LCD?
post #93 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
what i dont know is where the digital out audio connection is located.
the audio connector is on the cable itself

I would have posted an actual link but because I don't have 5 posts yet the forums won't let me
post #94 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 09:16 AM

Hey Fellas,
I'm also days away from either buying a Sony XBR or Samsung 32'' LCD. I have a quick question however. I'm under the impression that the Samsung and the Sony use the same 12ms LCD panel. I'm also under the impression that when your dealing with TVs with the same LCD panel, any extra money pays for the all-important scaler. I'll be using my TV mostly for 720p video games and 720p HD cable, so I could do without a great scaler if I had to. My question is, is the $800 more for the Sony Bravia going mostly to the scaler, or are there a host of other image improvements as well. Thanks a lot -Raia
post #95 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
So I didnt pre-order (I know dumb) do you think any places will actually have them at midnight on the 22nd or should I not bother standing in line at Walmart. The ONLY retailer to say they will carry them that night?
post #96 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I dont know, I have a preorder at EBGames but I am looking to get ahold of a few more. I am thinking since it seems like MS and Walmart are in bed with each other that might be the best place to be at midnight to get an XBox 360. I would think that Best Buys will have them at midnight as well.
post #97 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
Hey Fellas,
I'm also days away from either buying a Sony XBR or Samsung 32'' LCD. I have a quick question however. I'm under the impression that the Samsung and the Sony use the same 12ms LCD panel. I'm also under the impression that when your dealing with TVs with the same LCD panel, any extra money pays for the all-important scaler. I'll be using my TV mostly for 720p video games and 720p HD cable, so I could do without a great scaler if I had to. My question is, is the $800 more for the Sony Bravia going mostly to the scaler, or are there a host of other image improvements as well. Thanks a lot -Raia
The Sony has a 8ms response time and a 1300:1 contrast ratio.
post #98 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone really know if the Sony Briva pannels are made by Samsung, would this mean that is essencially the same set as some of the Samsungs?
post #99 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick note I was listening to MS guy in charge of XB Live Larry Hyrb aka Major Nelson's Podcast about XBox 360. I just thought that I would throw it out there that he is rocking a Samsung LNR268W for his XBox 360 and really likes it. He also noted that he has heard that
Sony is not doing a unified online service for PS3, just a note on those who were talking about online gaming in the next generation.
post #100 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Coincedence that he is "rocking" the same exact LCD panel that is being used EVERYWHERE there's a 360 set up?
I was just at Gamestop during lunch and watching the 360 on the Samsung 26" LCD.

Oh my god, you think they'd at least calibrate the picture settings.

The game was the King Kong game and it was a dark fighting scene. You could not see anything at all, almost a full black screen. That Samsung was looking horrible. I know it could be better, but I didn't mess with the settings. Some kid was playing the game.
post #101 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM

For those of you looking to get your hands on an Xbox at midnight on the 22nd, I obtained a tidbit of info on how it was going to go down, at least here at our local Wal-Mart (in a college town, doesn't help me out much). They are expecting some 300 persons to be in line (how they arrived at that number, I have NO idea) for the 32 X360s they will be stocking. They're going to hand out numbers to those in line starting at 6 AM on the 21st. If you leave the store for any reason, your number is void, not sure if you're free to walk around the store though. At midnight you can pickup your X360 in layaway. Pretty interesting, would still like to know how they assume 300+ people will wait in line to get one of 32 X360s, but whatever. And out of the 32, people working there will be trying to pickup as many as they can to resell or at least sell their number to people waiting or somethin. All seems pretty stupid to me, but then again, I'll probably be waiting in line myself... so I guess I'm stupid. Just thought I'd share so others know what to expect as well!
post #102 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice
Does anyone really know if the Sony Briva pannels are made by Samsung, would this mean that is essencially the same set as some of the Samsungs?
Just about all of Sony's panels are made by Samsung. They have a joint production facility in Korea. I have a Sony SDM-P234 monitor and I took the back off to find a Samsung panel.
post #103 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Thanks for your response!
Do you happen to know if Samsung's current model 32'' LCD and the Bravia XBR 32'' use the same panel? If they do, does this imply that as long as I use a 720p resolution source, and take the scaler out of the equation, that the PQ will be close/same between the two ? Thanks again -Raia
post #104 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodAres
For those of you looking to get your hands on an Xbox at midnight on the 22nd, I obtained a tidbit of info on how it was going to go down, at least here at our local Wal-Mart (in a college town, doesn't help me out much). They are expecting some 300 persons to be in line (how they arrived at that number, I have NO idea) for the 32 X360s they will be stocking. They're going to hand out numbers to those in line starting at 6 AM on the 21st. If you leave the store for any reason, your number is void, not sure if you're free to walk around the store though. At midnight you can pickup your X360 in layaway. Pretty interesting, would still like to know how they assume 300+ people will wait in line to get one of 32 X360s, but whatever. And out of the 32, people working there will be trying to pickup as many as they can to resell or at least sell their number to people waiting or somethin. All seems pretty stupid to me, but then again, I'll probably be waiting in line myself... so I guess I'm stupid. Just thought I'd share so others know what to expect as well!

bleh go to gamestop and u'll prolly have a better chance at getting one....... good thing i have mine reserved..... :)
post #105 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Are we talking about flat panel LCDs or projection LCDs. And if projection, if you went out to say 60 inches, would there be a problem.
post #106 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
Thanks for your response!
Do you happen to know if Samsung's current model 32'' LCD and the Bravia XBR 32'' use the same panel? If they do, does this imply that as long as I use a 720p resolution source, and take the scaler out of the equation, that the PQ will be close/same between the two ? Thanks again -Raia
Having used both LCD's over the last month (Samsung 329D and 32XBR1), I have to tell you that without a doubt, the Sony is better in every way. Samsung's lame over contrast circuit makes everything look washed out and nasty. It also pushes white so hard that text actually bleeds over. It's disgusting.

If you are going to be using VGA and pushing 720, it will look good on both, but Sony's LCD has MUCH nicer color, sharpness and just about everything else you'd need. Games on Xbox in 720p such as Hulk and Sims really show how horrid the Samsung is. IMHO.

It blows my mind that they use the 8W Samsung LCDs in the kiosks and demo stations! That is one of the worst gaming panels on the market. Slow response (12ms) washed out picture and far too close a viewing distance.

You would think they'd at LEAST use a 9D panel with a VGA connection. I think the 8W LCD is giving the X360 a bad image.. Literally!

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #107 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 10:34 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorello
In regards to waiting on getting a 360 until they come out with a mod chip like the old Xbox I think it's pointless. We are buying a 360 for it's rich online capability and experience. We all know that if you had the old Xbox you could not go online with a mod chip and play your friends (At least not through xbox live). While it might be cool to download the games to your hard drive for free not many of us have the time to play every game that comes out and usually stick to 3-4 games for online fun. These are just my thoughts and we shall see what the future holds for all of us as gamers with our new 360's!
I play on Live all the time. You can disable the X3 and many modchips at will. A quick power press boots with the chip enabled, and a long power press boots with the chip disabled. A convenient LED on the custom control panel shows if the mod is on or off and the bios prevents accidentally logging onto Live with the chip on. The appeal of playing off the hard drive isn't only for pirating. The much, much shorter load times and ease of use not messing with disks is great.

I think a more important issue is that most people don't have the confidence to open up their systems to exchange the parts and solder on new ones or are unwilling to spend the additional cost for these upgrades.
post #108 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDragonFly
thanks for the advise, but i don't have a xbox control so can't access the movie on it.
Almost every Xbox game (and I'm hoping Xbox360 game) has a brightness (and other picture settings) built into it's options menu. I did my best at first to calibrate my set for all games, but, unfortunately they're all different.

Instead I did my best to calibrate using Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (just because it has a lot of dark areas in it, whatever you use is up to you), but I still will go into a particular games settings, "calibrate" the picture in regards to that specific game (through the xbox), save those settings (again, in the xbox, not my tv), and go from there. :)

-JR
post #109 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 AM

Cynn,
Thank you very much for your response. Hearing your 1st hand exp. with both panels on your Xbox was exactly what I needed to hear. Time to shop for a bravia XBR! Thanks again!
Oh, do you also agree with the board consensus that ghosting with video games isn't an issue on the Xbr?
-Raia
post #110 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

I think the Walmart thing is wierd, I can understand if it was a first come first serve thing, but why wouldnt people be able to leave. There is a walmart right by where I work, I might have to check there on that monday and see if they will give me a number and I can come back at midnight and pick up my 360. I will definately be calling some other stores when we are a little closer here and seeing what they are planning on doing.
post #111 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardog
I noticed that the official XBOX 360 launch magazine recommended an LCD and specifically recommended against plasma. Hmmm.
I blame ignorance. Editors of video game magazines aren't really known for the AV expertise.
post #112 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice
Also note that MS picked LCDs for all of their Kiosks to show off and ultamately help sell the system. I dont want this thread to turn into a Plasma vs. LCD flamewar but I really think that LCD is the best way to go for gaming on the XBox 360. I am not saying that plasmas are bad or anything like that. I know there are some individuals who hapily game on their plasmas and have no problems with it. What does everyone else think? Which is going to be the better way to go for XBox 360 Plasma or LCD?
Not to mention the fact that the smallest plasma you can get is 37", and I'm sure most stores TVs are smaller than that, hence why they are picking LCD.

I'll be gaming on a 27" Panasonic Tube & a 19" Dell Ultrascan Monitor, until I purchase my Panasoncic plasma TH-42PX500u. I still think Plasma's have a much better picture than LCDs and you can see them from any angle, which is a big deal to me.
post #113 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

It was my impression that the viewing angles on LCDs are much improved. Like burn in on plasmas that was something that was a problem on older models and is not as much of an issue today. I would suggest that you go to a best buy and look at some of the good LCDs from angles.
post #114 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM

got the 42" Panasonic Plasma for the living room. Had it since August and got it nice and broken in I suppose. I dont have any burn in so I'm not worried. BUT I do get image retention so I'm not sure how others claim their panny's "never" get it because my friend has one as well and his does the same thing. It goes away though so it doesn't worry me. But I did play some Burnout a bit long for 3 days on and off and I did have some pretty bad retention in the top right that showed for like 4 hours then went away. If you turn it to say video 1 and you have nothing on and its on the black screen you can check to see if the image retention is starting. Thats the most I get on average and like I said it goes away. But that one time with Burnout (ironic maybe it was because of the name lol) it did get pretty crazy image retention that freaked me out till it went away

I have the Samsung LNR23 as well upstairs now using it as my PC monitor/bedroom TV/Bedroom gaming. Its a nice picture but I definitely can say I like my plasma better. The refresh rate on the LCD is slow (appears really bad in my music games I can't even play beatmania on it) its fine for everything else though. The picture is good but as others have mentioned it just looks.......off. It just isn't as natural as my plasma. But I like them both for different reasons. Could be I just need to have it calibrated. Since right now I dont have either my plasma or LCD calibrated by a pro or anything.

So minus when my roommate needs the living room I'll be doing my gaming on my plasma, then when the need arrises retreat to my LCD :)
post #115 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn
Having used both LCD's over the last month (Samsung 329D and 32XBR1), I have to tell you that without a doubt, the Sony is better in every way. Samsung's lame over contrast circuit makes everything look washed out and nasty. It also pushes white so hard that text actually bleeds over. It's disgusting.

If you are going to be using VGA and pushing 720, it will look good on both, but Sony's LCD has MUCH nicer color, sharpness and just about everything else you'd need. Games on Xbox in 720p such as Hulk and Sims really show how horrid the Samsung is. IMHO.

It blows my mind that they use the 8W Samsung LCDs in the kiosks and demo stations! That is one of the worst gaming panels on the market. Slow response (12ms) washed out picture and far too close a viewing distance.

You would think they'd at LEAST use a 9D panel with a VGA connection. I think the 8W LCD is giving the X360 a bad image.. Literally!
I've owned both the 23" 8W Samsung and ther 26" Sony XBR1 and didn't notice a big difference when playing xbox in 720p. I recognize that the Sony is a much better TV in terms of color and black levels. But, I found the response time to be similar on both TVs. Also, they both lag when playing MVP Baseball 2005 in 480p. Luckily, Sony lets you enable Game Mode, which gets rid of any lag.

I think Microsoft chose the Samsung because they are cheap. I still think if you are looking for a 23" LCD, Samsung is a good value.
post #116 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM

I still have no idea which TV set to go for since I only have about 2k to spend and I was looking for a 32 inch model for gaming and movie watching. Since I started reading these forums I learned a lot by all of your input but none of it helped me to solidify my choice. For 2k I don't want any problems with ghosting or bad color saturations. It seems the only TV everyone is suggesting is the $2700 XBR1. That is just too much money at least for me. Any other sets that are comparable?
post #117 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, grab the 37" Panasonic Plasma. This was at Best Buy for just over two grand last week, the price went back up, but you can find it for the lower price if you look hard enough.

You'll get a great picture, bigger screen and NO lag to worry about.
post #118 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeptiks
Yes, grab the 37" Panasonic Plasma. This was at Best Buy for just over two grand last week, the price went back up, but you can find it for the lower price if you look hard enough.

You'll get a great picture, bigger screen and NO lag to worry about.

And you get dither noise in dark areas too. To me that kills any thoughts of using plasma because dark colors are much too noisy.

You are better off testing both to see which flaw you can live with. No display is perfect.
post #119 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19
And you get dither noise in dark areas too. To me that kills any thoughts of using plasma because dark colors are much too noisy.

You are better off testing both to see which flaw you can live with. No display is perfect.

Oddly I have noise in the blacks on my LCD and not in my plasma, so go figure *shrugs* but I definitely agree so far no HDTV display is perfect, from flat panels to rear projections it seems they just all have that 1 thing that kills. If only we could get a display free of any such nuisances! until then I'll dream about it lol ^_^
post #120 of 265 Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am sure some day we will have said display, that will be a good day!
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page