MASTER BURN-IN/BREAK-IN THREAD: ALL POSTS HERE ONLY! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2990 Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh sorry - I didn't notice the sticky thread. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2990 Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 AM

I see the constant recommendations about turning down brightness and contrast. How much should it be turned down though to significantly reduce the risk of burn-in?
post #543 of 2990 Old 06-30-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Threads Merged!

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #544 of 2990 Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post

I see the constant recommendations about turning down brightness and contrast. How much should it be turned down though to significantly reduce the risk of burn-in?

Using the Panasonic 50U PDP as an example there are three default settings: Vivid --> Standard --> Cinema, each of which can be further adjusted. A new PDP should be run using nothing higher than the Standard setting with perhaps the brightness & picture settings turned down a little bit more.
post #545 of 2990 Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

After reading this thread I was confident on my purchase of seven 42" Dell W4200 High Definition Plasma Displays. We have owned them for approximately 4-5 weeks. I did the break-in procedure of varying on/off times and content for the first 100 hours, then left them on. Brightness was IMMEDIATELY lowered to 40% and Contrast was set to 50%. I was CERTAIN this would buy me atleast 3 years. I have 642 hours on them, running 24 hours a day.

ALL READY BURNED IN. I am running Dells Plasma Conditioner on 2 of them now. I am SOOOO disappointed with Plasma Technology. All I read were comments on Airports and Shopping Malls with Plasma Presentation Displays running all day everyday with no hint of Burn-in. Well after this, the reason you can't see it is because those TV's are still on. When I change the channel I see it, when I turn the TV on I see it.

Either Dell is having a problem or Plasma Technology is ONLY suitable for the Home.

I am going to call Dell and see what they will do for me. Not even CRT's will burn in this fast.
post #546 of 2990 Old 07-05-2005, 09:03 AM

1.5 years on a Panny 6UY and ZERO burn-in.....TV(SD+HD), VCR, DVD, and monitor for my Mac Mini for about 4 months now..... very happy with my purchase.

Sam
post #547 of 2990 Old 07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

I have 642 hours on them, running 24 hours a day.

ALL READY BURNED IN. I am running Dells Plasma Conditioner on 2 of them now. I am SOOOO disappointed with Plasma Technology. All I read were comments on Airports and Shopping Malls with Plasma Presentation Displays running all day everyday with no hint of Burn-in. Well after this, the reason you can't see it is because those TV's are still on. When I change the channel I see it, when I turn the TV on I see it.

642 hours of a static image straight? I would assume this would cause image retention or burn-in on almost any phosphor based technology. Keep us posted about Dells response. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll respond with a replacement, since there is info in your owners manual (page 17) that states the following;

NOTE: Image retention and burn-in are not covered by your Dell warranty.
Displaying an image for an extended period of time can cause an image to remain or burn-in on the screen. Burn-in is a characteristic of all plasma displays.

To help avoid image burn-in, it is best to avoid leaving stationary images on your TV for extended periods of time. Examples of stationary images that may lead to burn-in include:
TV menus
Black bars such as those used in 4:3 or wide screen mode
TV channel logos
Stock market or news tickers
Time display
Shopping channel pricing display
Static computer images
Static video game images
Closed captioning backgrounds
post #548 of 2990 Old 07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

I know, this particular display has a direct connection to our Weather Station for Hurricanes. The other displays 16 security cameras in our Homeland Security Office. I expected at least CRT performance this soon.
post #549 of 2990 Old 07-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrichky View Post

The only information I've stumbled upon about "burn-in" being a property of lcd displays has been the user posts in various forums. As I understand, lcd's are not susceptible to "burn in", at all.....period.

I thought that too, but a friend who works at the local Future Shop showed me that LCD displays can and do burn in. The LCD displays that they use in the camera dept are left on 24 hours a day for several months at a time with a static video camera image displayed. When you switch them to a smooth background, you can clearly see the burned in numbers and boxes from the static camera image.
post #550 of 2990 Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

I think that we can say that LCD's do burn in, but it takes a lot longer than plasma to burn.
post #551 of 2990 Old 07-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

Those were probably also early generation panels...

Maybe. Maybe not.
post #552 of 2990 Old 07-09-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does it matter? A static image ruined the display. It will happen to plasmas just as much it will to CRT's. New or old. Go to a video arcade and see the "Game Over" burn-in's everywhere.
post #553 of 2990 Old 07-10-2005, 12:21 AM

Has anyone had a problem with burn-in associated w/stock tickers or news crawlers? We watch a substantial amount of CNBC and the 24 hour news stations during the day. Is it possible to "remove" the ticker/crawler on most plasmas by zooming/stretching the picture?

Thanks!
post #554 of 2990 Old 07-10-2005, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondueski View Post

Has anyone had a problem with burn-in associated w/stock tickers or news crawlers? We watch a substantial amount of CNBC and the 24 hour news stations during the day. Is it possible to "remove" the ticker/crawler on most plasmas by zooming/stretching the picture?

Thanks!

I can only speak for my Fujitsu P50... My son watches a lot of sports channels with the sports ticker always running across the bottom. I simply asked him after we got the plasma to expand or move the screen after he's read the ticker once. On the P50 it is simply a matter of going into the menu and expanding the screen size (a row of pixels at a time) in the vertical direction until the ticker is gone, and/or moving the picture down (again, it can be done one row of pixels at a time) until it is gone. He isn't too diligent about it, but no burn in after 30 months.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #555 of 2990 Old 07-13-2005, 01:28 PM

I did the unthinkable and bought a....Sony KDE-50XS955. I got an unbeatable deal on it through my company.

One thing though, should I be concerned about the "ghosting" that I'm seeing on it? Namely from dish network text on the screen and text from DVD menus. I have adjusted the settings from vivid to standard and turned down the brightness. I am very pleased with it otherwise.

Is this normal or does this indicate that this particular plasma is very susceptible to burn-in? I'd like to be able to watch dvds in the future without using the zoom feature or is that going to be too risky in light of the ghosting that appears now. The last thing I'd want of course is to cause the dreaded burn-in. Thanks.
post #556 of 2990 Old 07-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondueski View Post

Thanks!

You know, with the popularity of Plasma, I can't believe the networks do this. I really am shocked they put the logo, like Fox or the Weather Channel. I know what Channel I am on dammit. I paid $2500.00 a piece for these HD-Plasma's. I could have saved MUCHO dollars and purchased some 25" CRT's on hangers and replaced them SEVERAL times before I hit the price tag for one plasmas display.

I am sure in a Home Environment this isn't a problem. But after having this problem I would be arguing with my fiancee to turn off the TV if she was planning to listen to VH1. I am super scared of plasma now.

One thing I noticed. Even though my TV's were at 50%/50% (Contrast/Brightness), I noticed the burn in for the Weather Channel (lower right) is a darker black than the rest of the TV when playing something like a DVD. Totally weird. I cut them down to 40%/40% (Contrast/Brightness) and run the Plamas' Conditioner for 4 hours. The burn in is improving, but too much conditioning *may* burn in the entire display.

For the home, Plasma may work well. But if High Availablility is necessary, I say be prepared to light your money on fire. I *had* CRT's in my Dispatch area with the same radio console information on for 7 months and it appears to be similar to my plasmas after a few weeks.

I am just so scared of plasma now.
post #557 of 2990 Old 07-14-2005, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Fondueski...YES, you can use one of the Aspect ratio choices to remove the tickers at the bottom of the screen.

This is what I do when watching any of the News channels. Sports also.

Although I have watched for a while (hours) with the tickers showing and did not have any burn in problems.
post #558 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post

Does it matter? A static image ruined the display. It will happen to plasmas just as much it will to CRT's. New or old. Go to a video arcade and see the "Game Over" burn-in's everywhere.

I believe the reason for this thread is that there is evidence that plasma screens will burn in not "just as much" as a CRT, but more quickly. Perhaps far more quickly.

Is this not the case with modern plasma screens?

blakespot

my home theater setup: gallery
post #559 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post

I believe the reason for this thread is that there is evidence that plasma screens will burn in not "just as much" as a CRT, but more quickly. Perhaps far more quickly.

Is this not the case with modern plasma screens?

blakespot

The most recent Panasonic commercial units claim their burn-in levels are the same as a CRT. I would assume their statement refers to how long a static image must be present on screen to create image-retention/burn-in.

-JR
post #560 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Although I am careful not to put my new LG DU-42PY10 in situations where burn-in can occur, I have fallen victim to the "guest/kids effect" where those who don't know better left a DVD menu on screen for nearly an hour while we were out of the room. As a result, I have definite images of the title and menu selections.

What I don't know is whether a static image over such a "short" time is likely just ghosting or if I have a much more serious case of burn-in? How can I determine what level of severity I have and what actions can I take to correct (or at least minimize) the problem.

The unit is less than two months old but is out of the 30 day return period. And to add insult to injury, if it is actually burn-in, my $300 BB service plan won't cover it (although if it is just ghosting, they will send a tech out to try to fix it). Thanks for any advice as I am just sick over this very expensive lesson: Don't let anyone touch your toys!
post #561 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jax View Post

Although I am careful not to put my new LG DU-42PY10 in situations where burn-in can occur, I have fallen victim to the "guest/kids effect" where those who don't know better left a DVD menu on screen for nearly an hour while we were out of the room. As a result, I have definite images of the title and menu selections.

What I don't know is whether a static image over such a "short" time is likely just ghosting or if I have a much more serious case of burn-in? How can I determine what level of severity I have and what actions can I take to correct (or at least minimize) the problem.

The unit is less than two months old but is out of the 30 day return period. And to add insult to injury, if it is actually burn-in, my $300 BB service plan won't cover it (although if it is just ghosting, they will send a tech out to try to fix it). Thanks for any advice as I am just sick over this very expensive lesson: Don't let anyone touch your toys!

First, relax. Don't make yourself sick about it because I personally would be shocked if an hour of a static image caused a real permanent burn-in. That said, I suppose it might happen if you the unit was in "torch" mode as it likely came from the factory and you only have a few hours on it. Do you know how many hours you have on it?

Regardless, I would do nothing in the short term except to be certain that my contrast and brightness is turned down and set appropriately, and, to watch full screen programming for a week or two. Then check it out. If there is still some image left, you can use the white screen to get rid of the rest of it (if your model has that feature), but I doubt you will need it.

So, relax. Pour yourself a nice glass of wine and put in a good movie. I personally doubt you have a real serious problem here.

David

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #562 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Marketing Prof, thanks for the calm voice of reason and reassuring! I will definitely take your advice and hopefully the image will work itself out. I still can't believe that ghosting or burn-in can happen is such a short period of time. Let this be a lesson to anyone who may allow someone else to have control of the plasma without properly educating them first.
post #563 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jax View Post

Sounds like image retention, dude. Happened to me too with a DVD menu. Went away within several minutes & hasn't come back. From what I've read in this thread, it's temporary and decreases with panel usage. Still sounds like you're worried about this. As long as you follow the basic tips in this thread, your TV should be cool. Have a beer instead
post #564 of 2990 Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

Have a beer instead

A beer would be great too. Make mine a Sam Adams! If it's wine I particularly enjoy the Bogle Petite Syrah with light movie snacks. Either way, you can't lose.

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #565 of 2990 Old 07-22-2005, 02:35 PM
AEC

I was at a high-end dealer in Columbia, Md and they showed me an LG 50 px5d. One of the features of this set is "white wash". They were able to white wash the logo in the corner of the screen so that it could not be seen. Another feature was the ability to move the logo to a different location. Anyone seen these feature(s) before?
post #566 of 2990 Old 07-29-2005, 02:17 PM

I desperately need a good TV for the kitchen (essentially the family room) of my weekend house. Currently have a 13" CRT! I'm a huge football fan -- both NFL and College -- and last year I didn't want to be in the country any weekend from September through January because I had to watch football on my 50" RP LCD HDTV at home! So I've finally convinced my wife that we NEED a good TV up there and I'm ready to buy in the next month.

So, I decided on a Panasonic 42" plasma, then started looking at the user guide, various FAQs, and this thread. Now I'm having second thoughts and may fall back to a Sharp 32" LCD.

The issue: I absolutely hate watching 4:3 TV in any other mode than Normal. While I watch as much HDTV as I can get, I still probably watch 80% in Normal 4:3 mode.

While I have no problem lowering brightness/contrast, watching in a 16:9 mode for first 100 hours, and using bright sidebars, the bottom line is that following break-in I'll be watching 80% in 4:3 mode.

Can someone with experience tell me if I'm wasting my money on the plasma display? Is it simply inappropriate for my viewing habits due to burn-in risk? Or will I be fine if I follow procedures noted in above paragraph?
post #567 of 2990 Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcianche View Post

The issue: I absolutely hate watching 4:3 TV in any other mode than Normal. While I watch as much HDTV as I can get, I still probably watch 80% in Normal 4:3 mode.

While I have no problem lowering brightness/contrast, watching in a 16:9 mode for first 100 hours, and using bright sidebars, the bottom line is that following break-in I'll be watching 80% in 4:3 mode.

Can someone with experience tell me if I'm wasting my money on the plasma display? Is it simply inappropriate for my viewing habits due to burn-in risk? Or will I be fine if I follow procedures noted in above paragraph?

I would suck it up and watch 4:3 in zoom/stretch for the first 100 hours. After that, as long as you use grey side bars you should be fine. Make sure you use the pixel shift/orbiter/wobbler when you use the grey side bars. That should reduce the risk of retention of a line between the side bars and the 4:3 image.

Also, don't set your side bars too bright, you may end up wearing out the sides faster than the middle. You'll have to guess the average brightness of the 4:3 shows you watch and set the brightness of the side bars to match it.

Every once in a while, check for burn in with a solid color image on the screen. If you see any burn in, adjust the brightness of the sidebars accordingly.

Ren
post #568 of 2990 Old 07-30-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipetrick View Post

I did the unthinkable and bought a....Sony KDE-50XS955. I got an unbeatable deal on it through my company.

One thing though, should I be concerned about the "ghosting" that I'm seeing on it? Namely from dish network text on the screen and text from DVD menus. I have adjusted the settings from vivid to standard and turned down the brightness. I am very pleased with it otherwise.

Is this normal or does this indicate that this particular plasma is very susceptible to burn-in? I'd like to be able to watch dvds in the future without using the zoom feature or is that going to be too risky in light of the ghosting that appears now. The last thing I'd want of course is to cause the dreaded burn-in. Thanks.

I did the same thing when the prices dropped last weekend. First thing I noticed was the ghosting. It goes away, but very noticable when changing stations and the aspect ratio changes. I don't remember my 43" PDP-4310 Pioneer being that bad. I'm going to set it up again, next to the Sony this weekend and compare. Very disappointing.
post #569 of 2990 Old 07-30-2005, 03:08 PM

hi, i just bought a plasma and love it!! but i'm kinda worried about all this i read about logos burning in on your screen. since 80% of the channels i watch have some dumb ass logo now, should i be concerned??
post #570 of 2990 Old 07-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
During the break-in period, I try to not watch channels with very bright (or dark) logos. I think transparent ones are reasonably OK. You can sometimes use zoom modes to get the logos off your screen. I can't believe these channels use such distracting and damaging (to plasma) logos. There ought to be an industry standard or specification for logos that ensures no damage to our property.

Failing that, you'd think these networks would realize that ugly bright logos drive viewers away, and are therefore a bad idea purely on the business case.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page