MASTER BURN-IN/BREAK-IN THREAD: ALL POSTS HERE ONLY! - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2990 Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No.

It has a sleep timer if that helps. Just don't leave static images on the screen for extended periods of time. Burn in has been covered many times. It's basically a non issue if you use common sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2990 Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
It's my understanding that the only Panny's to have burn-in reductions features are the commercial models...
post #903 of 2990 Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
dont they have it even in the service menu?

if not, it looks like it's only on commercial ones... while Hitachis and Samsungs have all those features built-in to their consumer lines!

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #904 of 2990 Old 11-29-2005, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

dont they have it even in the service menu?

Nope.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ
The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.
Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.
post #905 of 2990 Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 AM

How can you avoid burn in if you use the plasma display for watching TV, when every TV channel has their logo either on the bottom or top right side corners??? Is there any way to eliminate the logos??
cheers
post #906 of 2990 Old 11-30-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1 View Post

How can you avoid burn in if you use the plasma display for watching TV, when every TV channel has their logo either on the bottom or top right side corners??? Is there any way to eliminate the logos??
cheers

Excellent question!!!

That is my question exactly - - - If I watch the local news for an hour and that Channel 8 KGW logo is constantly being displayed for an hour should that be a concern?? If it is a concern then what should I do about it? Does anybody have a timeframe for how long a "static image" (logo, jpeg photo i am showing on my tv, etc) can safely stay on the screen?

Thanks all who reply to my post.

Nigel
post #907 of 2990 Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

I was just wondering if these 8th gen panels have ANY burn-in prevention features? Things like pixel orbiting, contrast reduction on static image, white bar cleaning of stuck pixel, etc...

I do not see anything like that in the menus... is it in the service menu? Also, what is CATS in PX500 (no available on other sets)?

I have an 8th gen panel and I don't see anything in the Panasonic settings...I wonder if other manufactuers include other things...I know that Pioneer has Pxel Orbiting stuff? And Hitachi may have a wipe mode? Not sure... I have no idea what CATS is...
post #908 of 2990 Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1 View Post

cheers

That's the ultimate question...People say turn down your contrast/picture setting as well as birghtness...50% is the rule...But 50% of what...My TV goes from -30 to 30 so technically 50% is 0. Others say it is 50% of 0 to 30 which means 15. For me 0 is way too dim...So I have it on at 10.

I just noticed that here in NYC the channel 7 news cast has this bright 7 logo displayed in the lower right hand corner...I noticed it is still faintly there while I was checking out my "burn-in" issue on my previous post. One thing I must say is that I hardly see the image retention at all...The only time I can see it now is when I go into the TV guide setting and highlight the lower channels to where my burn in has occurred...And even then I have to look closely to find it. It never really shows up in broadcasts or watching movies...I plan on getting another TV sometime early next year and will keep experimenting with this one to see how bad the burn-in issue is and to what degree it goes away or never happens again...

By the way...I noticed that on on the study done about plasma myths they curiosly used the words:

"However, after running a movie loop on each plasma display for 24 hours, ISF testers could notperceive the previously retained images while watching video on the plasmas afterthe 24 hour "fix"."

So technically in my case, unless I'm viewing the burn-in directly with a constant static image such as the light background used in the TV Guide setup you never really see it...I still don't see it while playing movies, video games or watching TV. Nice selection of words on their part...I wonder if they had used a constant light colored background if they were still able to see the burn-in that occured...I think they would...
post #909 of 2990 Old 11-30-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If have the "ESPN" logo on the bottom right of my screen (Maxent MX-50X3) that appeared last night after sportscenter. I'm hoping that after a few hours of movie viewing it'll go away.

I can only see it when I switch to a blue background on component 2 and the xbox 360 is turned off. For now, it's not visible during normal viewing but for piece of mind, I'd like to see it go away, period.
post #910 of 2990 Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 AM

Been enjoying my 37" panny 8u for a few weeks now, but am wondering if anyone has an opinion on any negative screen issues while listening to DMX music through the tv.

Since I'm not using any receiver in my setup, I have to have the tv on to get my audio output through my speakers. The screen is black 95% of the time with occasional video flashes of what the artist and song title is during the song and of course when the song changes.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should have any kind of screen concerns with this issue?
post #911 of 2990 Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 208
listening to DMX music will definetely burn your screen. If you want to avoid burn in, I would suggest some Pink Floyd.
post #912 of 2990 Old 12-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

listening to DMX music will definetely burn your screen. If you want to avoid burn in, I would suggest some Pink Floyd.

That's too funny man!!

But seriously steve shisler, I would really suggest getting a "proper" sound system (even an "everything in a box") to enjoy music. I have the Panny PX500 and the speakers on that are pretty darn good but I would rather use my Sony "everything in a box" (yup, I know it's "garbage" to real audio ethusiests) for music. In addition, I am prety sure the 95% of the time black screen is not good.
post #913 of 2990 Old 12-03-2005, 08:51 PM

I've had my Pioneer PDP-5060 50" plasma for 1 day. Already a black vertical line that's part of the bottom-of-screen show title box on my Comcast digital cable Scientific Atlanta 8300HD has apparently burnt into the screen - there's a slight light bar where the black bar appears at every channel change.

I've got brightness down -6 to -10. Does everyone with this screen and Comcast digital cable have this burn? It seems amazing that this would appear so fast - this never "stays" on the screen - just appears at each channel change. Have not played "musical channels" too much either.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

blakespot

my home theater setup: gallery
post #914 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 PM

(I made the last post about the burnt in line on my Pioneer.) It was gone the next day. I suppost it's "image retention" rather than burn.

blakespot

post #915 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 PM

can someone help me i have just got my xbox 360 and i got a pioneer 43inc plasma HDTV to play it on i have only started playing games for 2 days on it and i am getting burning on the screen already how do i stop it from burning or get rid of the burn marks i keeps seeing pictures from need for speed most wanted please can someone help
post #916 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #917 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic05 View Post

can someone help me i have just got my xbox 360 and i got a pioneer 43inc plasma HDTV to play it on i have only started playing games for 2 days on it and i am getting burning on the screen already how do i stop it from burning or get rid of the burn marks i keeps seeing pictures from need for speed most wanted please can someone help

What are you doing to get an image already burning into the display... Falling asleep on pause?
post #918 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a case where the much talked about "Break-In" period might have prevented this.

If this guy just recently bought the plasma and immediatley started playing games on it for many hours this could cause quick burn in.

Cronic05...Have you spent "normal viewing" time with the tv? Material that fills the screen? Many suggest 100 hours before playing games on a plasma.
I'd suggest to stop playing the games on it for just a couple of weeks.

Normal tv viewing should correct this image retention (hoping it's retention and not burn) with a little time.

I have a Pioneer and play xbox/x360 every single day. Zero burn in.
But I did "break it in" for about 75 hours...hey, I had to start playing Halo 2 so I didn't make it to the 100 hour mark.

Take a break from the games. You ahve many years to go, a couple weeks will mean nothing.

later
post #919 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
turn on 'regular TV' for a few weeks and everything will be fine, just gradually increase your game time over a period of a few months but start w/ 20% games/ 80% TV.
post #920 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Or it could just be image retention, which will disappear soon, watching regular programs. If it's really a burn-in, which is unlikely, it will not go away.
post #921 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Turn the contrast way down and keep it down for games. No more than a third of the way from the minimum.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #922 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 PM

Yesterday I finally saw the first burn-in on a plasma. It was on a 63" Fujitsu. It was the Directv menu that was burned in. We just ran the demo and it was fine aftwards.
post #923 of 2990 Old 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

if you have a "all white" screen saver in the options (of the plasma), that is another quick way to address image retention. Set the display to white for a few minutes every now and then. In any do, as others have suggested, BREAK-IN your display before playing games on it.
If you really burned it, your are in troubles, no fixing that. I would be surprised however if that were truly the case.
post #924 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 AM

the burning is not really bad you can only just see a out line of dials from the games imprinted on the screen, and i had only played the games for about 3 - 4 hours not 12 hours straight i turn my TV off eveynight, but tks for the info i might try turning the contrast down a bit. so at the mo i am going to play my 360 on my 32 inc LCD TV just to wait for the burning to go away.
post #925 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 AM

I Have a new Sony 42" Plasma. I've got it connected to a Zenith HT-in-a-box receiver.

After playing a movie when the movie stops, its a blue screen with a big white "Z" in the middle of the screen.

Since moving into our new house, we're still waiting to get out Satelite dish connected, so we've been watching a lot of movies the past 2 weeks...

I noticed the other day that we have a pinkish tint "Z" in the middle of the screen now. Its not "that" noticeable, but it is there.

Is there anyway to get rid of it? Will it gradually go away as the plasma is used more?

I think the problem was that my wife would play a movie for our two year old and when the movie was over, she'd leave the screen on while she put him to bed or went on to do some housework...

We talked about it, and the screen wasnt on standby mode for more than an hour at any given time... we've only got perhaps 100 hours of total use on the screen thus far.

Suggestions? Comments?
post #926 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 06:38 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
>>> we've only got perhaps 100 hours of total use on the screen thus far.

It's probably just Image Retention. It seems that when a plasma is new it tends to retain static images for a while but it's not burn-in. I watch an hour or two of local FOX news every weekday morning and my Panny retained this logo during the first month but it eventually faded away. Once the plasma was broken in it no longer retains this logo. Any other image that's retained is only temporary and gets wiped away the next time i watch it.

The wife needs to get with the program here . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #927 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jayne View Post

Turn the contrast way down and keep it down for games. No more than a third of the way from the minimum.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Turn down the CONTRAST or the BRIGHTNESS? I'd heard people talking of lowering the BRIGHTNESS. Thanks.

blakespot

post #928 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM

One little question which I am not sure if it has been answered in here. Burn-in is a non-issue, but if someone that have to run the white screen wash out demo a few times, I wonder how much that would affect the life of their plasma.
post #929 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Hi all... i went on the consumer reports site and asked the CR experts about break in and burn in. I am just wondering how all of you "break in" your plasmas?? Do you play constant DVD's?? just watch tv?? or something more elaborate?? Below is the conversation I had with consumer reports... I left out the name of the CR expert. It sounds like they suggest just letting the plasma display a solid grey screen - like something that i guess you can find on the AVIA calibration CD.

What do you think??? Would love some comments...

Here is the conversation - -

To: Nigel_Wade (7 of 10)

2506.7 in reply to 2506.5

Nigel

Some more "burn in " information from the CR experts:

We've noticed that some models, when fresh out of the box, are prone to "image sticking" or short-term burn-in. It goes away after the steady pattern we're feeding it is replaced with the next image - one that more evenly drives the screen.

It happens because phosphors age quickest when they're fresh - the manufacturer probably optimized for initial brightness, for marketing reasons, to grab the shopper/consumer. Optimizing them instead for steady output would be a completely different design goal. Maybe some manufacturers already watch for this, and pre-age the phosphors, we are not sure.

If you really want to pre-age a plasma, be very careful. Use an even, full-screen medium-dark gray field, steady pattern, no motion, no detail. You can probably find it on the Video Essentials or Avia DVD.

Options Reply

To: CR_Moderator_XXXXXXXXX(8 of 10)

2506.8 in reply to 2506.7

Jerry - thanks for the extra effort. I really apprecitate you looking further into this. Could you possibly be more specific in the following statement that you made....

"If you really want to pre-age a plasma, be very careful. Use an even, full-screen medium-dark gray field, steady pattern, no motion, no detail. You can probably find it on the Video Essentials or Avia DVD".

All of the people (in AVS Forum) that have said that they do a break in for there plasma's say that they just play a DVD movie on a loop. I am not clear on what you recommend. When you say no motion and no detail what do you mean? Can you possible attach a picture of what the screen would look like? I would think you would definately want motion so there would not be a still image on the screen.

Thanks Jerry

Options Reply Delete Edit

To: Nigel_Wade (9 of 10)

2506.9 in reply to 2506.8

Nigel

Our expert is referring to an even gray picture field. This has no other picture content, that is: no bars, crosshatch, dots etc. no motion, and no detail. It just lights up the screen evenly. You would play it from the calibration DVD
post #930 of 2990 Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought a 42" Panasonic HD plasma (PX50U) on 9/12 and have used it 40-50 hours per week.

I watch a variety of material and play some games and I figured that an 8th gen panel like this should be pretty resistant to burn in. Well, I guess I was wrong.

I turned my set on today and it was on a source with no signal (since the last thing I was doing was gaming). To my horror, I noticed 3-4 DISTINCT elements burnt in to the screen.

One is the CBS logo from CBS HD, the second is the TV menu, the third is the TV source indicator, and the fourth appears to be some text in the upper-right which I can't discern.

This is really troublesome since I rarely switch sources and the tv menu and source indicator don't stay on the screen by maybe 20 seconds after the source has been selected. To complicate matters, I switch channels pretty often and regularly view different material stored on my SD TiVO.

So, with such little use, HOW ON EARTH could an 11 week old set already have this sort of burn in? Is this normal or am I a special exception here?

I have the extended warranty from Best Buy, but I'm worried that they're going to try to pull the "oh, that's normal" card on me. This does not bode well for a tv that's not even three months old.

I'm super pissed right now and am in need of help. Mayday! Please advise!
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page