MASTER BURN-IN/BREAK-IN THREAD: ALL POSTS HERE ONLY! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
N8G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think your question is will it be ok when playing the DVD to select the 'play movie' function from the title screen while looping it. If that is what you are asking, you taking the worry about burn-in way overboard. You will be able to have a static image on the screen for at least 5-10 minutes with no worry of burn-in even during the break-in period. Just don't leave it up for half an hour or something and you will be fine. I didn't bother to break mine in beyond normal viewing with the exception of making sure not to have any black bars on the screen. I am approaching 100 hours now and I haven't seen any hint of image retention yet and I am definitely not that careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM

I agree.
With the low picture and brightness settings you may find that you like the picture better. I find that low brightness makes my SD shows on cable much nicer to watch.
Play your DVDs in full or justify mode for a while, but don't worry too much. Of course, don't leave a static screen for a half hour or so.
post #1083 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 01:00 PM

While I'm still breaking in my new 42inch plasma I watch regular programming with logo's and such as I always would I just make sure to watch them in "full screen mode" and I also have my contrast and brightness down below 50% as well.

I'll have a logo on there for 10-15mins til commercial break while i'm watching the program and I have no hint what so ever of image retention or burn in.
post #1084 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I read those posts. But, I am finding a gradual improvement by using a combination of the screen savers and watching movies on full-screen. The image retention/burn-in was very bad a few days ago, and I have a feeling I will always be able to see it, but hopefully not when I am watching movies.

I just wish I hadn't "played" with the picture settings and hit "normalize" to set the TV back to it's factory settings with a very high contrast!
post #1085 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Has anyone that has bought a new plasma in the last year or so actually experienced any burn in. I asked Panasonic about it and they seemed to be giving me over the top be safe advice. Stuff like don't watch with the bars more than hour a day and avoid logos whenever possible. Just wondered what real life experience some of you may have had. Thanks.

Blind faith will get you killed.
post #1086 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisded View Post

Has anyone that has bought a new plasma in the last year or so actually experienced any burn in. I asked Panasonic about it and they seemed to be giving me over the top be safe advice. Stuff like don't watch with the bars more than hour a day and avoid logos whenever possible. Just wondered what real life experience some of you may have had. Thanks.

Not personally, but go to a brick and morter store and you will find at least one plasma with seriously ugly burn in. The most recent horror I saw was the "ESPN" logo and sidebars that were burnind into a 5060. It was hard to look at.

Hopefully nobody uses their plamsa like BestBuy does
post #1087 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM

Thank you for your inquiry. Any static image that is displayed on the
screen for an extended period of time (extended meaning more than 15% of
the total viewing time per week, or an hour of viewing time per day) has
the potential to cause burn-in, and that goes for gray bars as well. Ways
to reduce this is adjusting the contrast, brightness and color on your
television to a lower level. Use common sense when it comes to your
plasma TV; don't pause video games or watch TV stations with station logos
on-screen for long periods of time, and use one of the many display
calibration DDS available today for properly setting brightness and
contrast.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

Is this being overly safe?

post #1088 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would say so. I have watched hundreds of 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies with black bars on top and bottom for the past 3 years. I've also played video games with static menus, etc. My Fujitsu plasma (Panasonic glass) shows absolutely no hint of burn-in. This is with the older generation Panasonic glass rated at 30K hrs to half life. I would think the newer models rated at 60K hrs to half life would be even less prone to burn-in.
post #1089 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Damn that response sounds like an old boilerplate response, it lists things everyone does with their sets from time to time. Hell, every channel has some logo plastered. If all this led to Burn in which is permanent there wouldn't be many customers buying and they'd be covering warranty loses wouldn't they?

Pretty bad when a Manufacturer gives a response this cautionary-me thinks this is the lawyers disclaimer response. If this is the case what the hell does the orbiting pixels do? We'd be witnessing much more burn in reported here.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1090 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 PM

That was my thought too. I'm not to excited about paying out $4000 for a tv that I can only watch certain channels on. Their response has me rethinking a SXRD!

post #1091 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 PM

I think I have between 500-700 hours on my 42PX50U now. I probably spend about 30% of the time (maybe more) playing games on this panel. I have had ZERO problems with burn in. I will say I've been a bit more careful while I try to achieve 1000 hours, however the other night I did have a scare.

I leave my PDP on Discovery HD over night to get some extra hours on the panel. Upon waking up (some 6-8 hours later) I found my Comcast box had frozen on an image of a high contrast image of a plant. I freaked out, but after another hour of normal TV viewing the image was gone.

The more I use this panel the less I ever see any image retention. A couple more months and I expect this issue to be moot for me.
post #1092 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:

See my posts from the last couple of days...

Panasonic's advice is not over the top! This advice should be in the user manual.
post #1093 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 PM

Does the warranty cover burn in?

post #1094 of 2990 Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

no

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #1095 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the warranty cover burn in?

No one's does, not even Extended Warranties.

It's considered product misuse/abuse.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #1096 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Do you really think that with all the users that there is here with Panasonic's, that burn in is really a problem ?? I would think not...because there would a hell lot more ranting and complaints posts....
post #1097 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 AM

Liked: 12
Permanent image retention can occur if a PDP is abused. The best way to prevent permanent image retention (a.k.a. burn in) is to use common sense and follow the manufacturers recommendations regarding the proper care and maintenance for your plasma TV/monitor... for example:

Plasma Facts and Myths Panasonic Presents Advice From the Video Purist Perspective
post #1098 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Burn away baby, just give me another reason to return to my local Ctco!
post #1099 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks a lot for everybody's responses.

So it is ok that I put a wide-screen movie (with no bars) a loop it for the first 100 hours?
post #1100 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 02:06 PM

Liked: 12
Whatever "floats your boat..." but most honest buyer's aren't looking to scam a big box retailer...
post #1101 of 2990 Old 02-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Whatever "floats your boat..." but most honest buyer's aren't looking to scam a big box retailer...

I agree. I it feels wrong, it is wrong.
post #1102 of 2990 Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Permanent image retention can occur if a PDP is abused. The best way to prevent permanent image retention (a.k.a. burn in) is to use common sense and follow the manufacturers recommendations regarding the proper care and maintenance for your plasma TV/monitor... for example:

"Abuse" is subjective. See my posts and you will see that I hardly "abused" my set. Manufacturers recommendations?! They are not exactly spelt out in the user manual... The link you provided will only be known by a user if they browse sites such as this one or do some digging on the Panasonic site. The default settings on most plasma sets are settings that will cause burn-in if the plasma displays bright static images for 10-15 minutes a few times a day. The default settings should have a much lower contrast and brightness.

Users need to be more educated on the care and use of a plasma TV. The only way the general public will be educated is for more manufacturers to provide warnings and guidelines on the front pages of the manual.
post #1103 of 2990 Old 02-15-2006, 09:37 PM

I am seriously thinking going with a plasma set if sony don't fix my green blob problems on my 60 inch sxrd.
I would likely go pioneer 50 but maybe hitachi,possilby even samsung in 50 inch size ,unless 60 inchers come down in price a bit more.

I do play lots of games on my tv so really need to no this.Have you burned your plasma with a game and what make of tv and how old is it.Understand the older sets burned in easier.

Video:Hitachi 55HDT79,STARCHOICE HD SAT,HD -DVD.
Audio:INFINITY FRONTS,CENTER,REARS,VELODYNE SUB,SONY 5.1 RECIEVER/UPSCALING DVD.
Games:XBOX,PS2,360.
post #1104 of 2990 Old 02-18-2006, 09:09 AM

Are Avia or Digital Video Essentials still useful when used to calibrate today's plasma TVs? I was reading some reviews that say some of the Avia test patterns don't work on newer plasmas...anyone had this problem?

Which disc do people recommend for a newbie to calibrate a Panasonic plasma to prevent "burn-in"...Avia or Digital Video Essentials?
post #1105 of 2990 Old 02-18-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Are Avia or Digital Video Essentials still useful when used to calibrate today's plasma TVs? I was reading some reviews that say some of the Avia test patterns don't work on newer plasmas...anyone had this problem?

Which disc do people recommend for a newbie to calibrate a Panasonic plasma to prevent "burn-in"...Avia or Digital Video Essentials?

I used the Avia recently to calibrate my TH42PHDUK. To be honest the picture was pretty fantastic out of the box -- just don't use the 'dynamic' (torch) setting. The Avia settings were pretty close to how we had turned most of the levels down to, to prevent burn in -- didn't seem to be too far off from where we were in the first place. There were no big revelations.
post #1106 of 2990 Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Is "burn-in" an issue on Rear-Projection LCDs?

Also, are transparent station logos much of a problem or is it just the bold logos that can really cause problems? Almost every show I watch is on a channel that has a logo, so there's not much I'll be able to watch during my "break-in period" if transparent logos are a problem.
post #1107 of 2990 Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 PM

Be aware of the NBC logo when watching the olympics!!!!
Even with my plasma set to a very low contrast setting, that stupid logo still left an image on the screen, even after hours of watching something else!~ It's barely noticeable though, but grrrrr!
post #1108 of 2990 Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Is "burn-in" an issue on Rear-Projection LCDs?

Also, are transparent station logos much of a problem or is it just the bold logos that can really cause problems? Almost every show I watch is on a channel that has a logo, so there's not much I'll be able to watch during my "break-in period" if transparent logos are a problem.

I have a 60" Sony GWIII for the past 2 years or so and I have left tons of static images on there... Not one issue. I have heard of some people seeing 'image rentention' but that goes away...

I have been looking for a TV for my in laws and I know they would love a plasma... but I don't think they will have much dsicipline when it comes to actually watching TV, so I tink I will have to get them an LCD...
post #1109 of 2990 Old 02-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTL6 View Post

Be aware of the NBC logo when watching the olympics!!!!
Even with my plasma set to a very low contrast setting, that stupid logo still left an image on the screen, even after hours of watching something else!~ It's barely noticeable though, but grrrrr!

Here is my dilemma, I would prefer a Hitachi 42HDT52 or the Toshiba 42HPX95 plasma. After reading all these helpful posts, I tend to believe that plasmas can or could develope burn-in rather easily. I looked at the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 today at Sears, and the picture looked great, but at a much higher price tag. In talking to one of the Video Only sales reps today, he said that the latest generation of plasmas have a different phosphor to help prevent burn-in. Is this true or not?

Thanks for all your expert advise and knowledge,
Randy
post #1110 of 2990 Old 02-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Station logos are one of the major reasons why I may not go with plasma, as much as I like it and think that plasma is much superior. Why can't stations make the logos much fainter than they are now? Not only are they a danger to plasma sets, they are also very distracting.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page