post #181 of 3243 Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloopy
I went back to J&R today to take another looksie. I spent more time fiddling with the PQ settings. So, I'm revising my initial view. After tweaking a conisderable amount (I was using a Panny plasma that seemed to have a beautiful PQ nearby to tweak off of) I think that the PQ was much better than the first time I looked at it. The colors weren't too far of the Panny during brightly lit scenes. The PQ obviously looked much better further than say about 7' away. Any closer and you could see the grain and noise. The resolution didn't look any better than any other plasma or LCD, but I'm sure that if you had a 1080P source it would. They were showing Discovery HD, so the source was good. Overall, the colors and PQ were not bad.

However, where the Tv failed was in blacks. I'm not sure if this is the case with all LCDs (although the Sony XBR looked amazing color-wise), but compared to the plasmas, there was no definition in the blacks. On the TV show, some of the guys were wearing black t-shirts. On the Panny plasma, you could see the wrinkles and subtle dimples (for want of a better word) in the t-shirts. On the Westy, they were just solid black, you couldn't make out any contrast.

So, for normal, lit scenes, I think the color and PQ were good. But this thing ain't goining to do Sin City or Batman justice.

I'm still interested to know what others think.

Either way, I ended up getting a Hitachi 42HDS52 from CC. The blacks and PQ just looked better to my eyes.
Thanks for the feedback... well, LCD isn't known for it's ability to resolute true black, but it gets worse on the improperly calibrated settings. Raising the brightness helps with getting details in blacks, but the backlight settings also play a big roll. Also, on most LCD's, to properly calibrate black, it has to be calibrated at the viewing conditions where the TV will be set up. It's not a easy task, but you can definately improve on black details with some compromise on darker black. Also, if you were comparing the blacks, brightness, color, and PQ to the plasma, and you saw a decent PQ, it does sound promising that once the LCD is calibrated to the home or theater settings, it will be even closer to the plasma PQ. In most demo setup, units have brightness/contrast jacked up beyond normal condition especially on plasma display, so calibrating the brightness and contrast to the normal viewing condition will definately help with black level on the LCD. I might sound too optimistic, but these are some of the things to consider when comparing a display on the demo floor. Once I get a chance to see it in person and play with settings on the 42" westy, I may have a different opinion, but the brief review didn't sound too horrible.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3243 Old 01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I'm already sold on this monitor and will pick one up as soon as it hits BB. I have the 37 inch 1080p, so I'm familiar with the westy limitations. The real question is when will BB have it. I went there today and as usual the salespeople are completely clueless. I said, I want the 42 inch inch westy 1080p set, and their only response, was, "No, what you really want is one of our DLP sets because all broadcast video is designed for the 720p resolution" ....sigh....

He who dies with the most toys wins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 3243 Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie
Just searching the web and noticed that someone else is carrying this:

http://www.oxygenbookclub.com/produc...45&pid=4076905

Never heard of them before but interesting to note that they are in Irvine, CA so looks like Westinghouse customer service was right in that they have shipped to West Coast.
I was toying with the idea of buying from them since I live in CA, however I don't think I could buy an expensive flat panel from a store that sells $10.00 cat mobiles on the same website...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 3243 Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Having pitch black isn't that big a deal to me. I can live with a dark grey.
I'm just hoping the overall PQ is better than the 37" model was.
post #185 of 3243 Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonic
...their only response, was, "No, what you really want is one of our DLP sets because all broadcast video is designed for the 720p resolution" ....sigh....
Nah, what you really want is about 20 minutes of Unreal Tourny with a bunch of bots decked out in the Best Buy Salesman skins ;)
post #186 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 AM

So the hopes of this looking anything like a Sony Bravia don't sound too promising, huh? That has been my personal benchmark for LCD PQ to date.
post #187 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was worried about the black levels due to the low contrast ratio, hopefully some other reviews will come soon to clear up the PQ issue.

post #188 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 AM

Yeah I know Bravia is 1300:1 and Westy is 1000:1
post #189 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 PM

In my continued hunt for reviews, I e-mailed J&R asking for some impressions on this partcular Westy model. Unfortunately, this is all I got from the rep:

"the Westinghouse lcd's show HDTV with vivid clarity."

:( Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot. The quest continues...........
post #190 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
In my continued hunt for reviews, I e-mailed J&R asking for some impressions on this partcular Westy model. Unfortunately, this is all I got from the rep:

"the Westinghouse lcd's show HDTV with vivid clarity."

:( Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot. The quest continues...........
epie,

We are counting on you to come through for us, on obtaining reviews for the Westy 42". Is their still only two resellers in the entire USA?.

Keep up the good work,
Randy
Millbrae, Ca
post #191 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I put in my zip code on the offical site and this was the closest retailer

Electronic Express
2111 N. Jackson Street
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Phone: (931) 461-7000
Directions

I live in atlanta Ga :)

post #192 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
I put in my zip code on the offical site and this was the closest retailer

Electronic Express
2111 N. Jackson Street
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Phone: (931) 461-7000
Directions

I live in atlanta Ga :)

My zip code it said "No reatailers within 150 miles" I live in Chicago. WTF is with that...??????? Tullahoma and Atlanta gotta' be more than 150 miles

This is my sig...
post #193 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypepper
epie,

We are counting on you to come through for us, on obtaining reviews for the Westy 42". Is their still only two resellers in the entire USA?.

Keep up the good work,
Randy
Millbrae, Ca

Wow! I feel the pressure now ;)

The reseller thing does not seem to be working well. Mine actually popped up a local store for me who carries Westinghouse but said probably not this model. Looks like we are back to waiting on Best Buy. Crutchfield and Boscov's might also be options down the road according to Westy customer service.

Ughh...I feel like I am watching paint dry going through this waiting process. I hope this lives up to the hype or a few of us are going to be really disappointed here.
post #194 of 3243 Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^^^^^

LOL.......Love the paint drying analogy......SO TRUE...........so true...........

This is my sig...
post #195 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 06:13 AM

Hi All,

Just noticed that Butterfly Photo is also now carrying. Not sure though that they are an authorized Westy e-tailer. Does this maybe mean that we are a little closer to having our traditional "box" retailers carry this?

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...t&sku=LVM-42w2
post #196 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern
I can see it already.......This T.V. is gonna be a bigger bust than Dolly Parton's tits, Cmon' Westinghouse, they're supposed to get better each generation!
My guess, somewhat confirmed by a Westinghouse tech support guy (for what that's worth), is that the 42" is, more or less, a bigger 37". In other words, not really a "next generation" in terms of technology. I might go for an upgrade, though, if the QC has improved (so that we're less likely to have any of the many "issues" that the 37" has), and the remote control capability is improved.
post #197 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 AM

I will have 2 of these units at my store tomorrow. I'll try and have a review with pictures for everyone by tomorrow evening. One is going to my house and the other is going to one of my co-workers. Just in time for the Super Bowl!
post #198 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM

I am planning on using this monitor as a display for my HTPC (with HDTV card after the DRM crap is settled!). After reading all of these posts, it appears that we might have to wait for a decent 1080p monitor to evolve..the waiting sucks
post #199 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
My guess, somewhat confirmed by a Westinghouse tech support guy (for what that's worth), is that the 42" is, more or less, a bigger 37". In other words, not really a "next generation" in terms of technology.
Yeah that is a bit discouraging from what I have seen of the 37", I wasn't all that impressed with the PQ. If that is the case, I can't see how someone can compare this 42" to the PQ of a Bravia. I was really hoping for 1080p this year but if this isn't going to cut it, the options seem very limited for 2006. The Sharp LC-45GD7u accepts 1080p inputs but not 1080p PC sources and I know they have one coming out later this year that will take the 1080p on the PC. However, the cost is going to be a lot more than the Westy. Maybe this is going to be as good as it will get this year. What to do...What to do....

:(
post #200 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah that is a bit discouraging from what I have seen of the 37", I wasn't all that impressed with the PQ. If that is the case, I can't see how someone can compare this 42" to the PQ of a Bravia. I was really hoping for 1080p this year but if this isn't going to cut it, the options seem very limited for 2006.

Maybe this is going to be as good as it will get this year. What to do...What to do.... :(
I agree about the 37" - I liked it as a monitor but as a TV, I was underwhelmed. If the 42" is just a bigger version of the 37" panel, then I'll just wait for something else. In my mind, the panel that I'm waiting for right now is the Syntax 42" panel, which I've heard really good buzz on...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623573

2Q 06 isn't that far away....
post #201 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVarghese81
I agree about the 37" - I liked it as a monitor but as a TV, I was underwhelmed. If the 42" is just a bigger version of the 37" panel, then I'll just wait for something else. In my mind, the panel that I'm waiting for right now is the Syntax 42" panel, which I've heard really good buzz on...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=623573

2Q 06 isn't that far away....

I have a long story about Syntax as I was very close to purchasing the current 42" model and I quickly lost interest. If I didn;t have these problems, I would have already purchased this unit. See the following link for my experience ( and others). If their support gets better by 2Q and the Westy isn't looking good, I would reconsider.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=609443
post #202 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that is a bit discouraging from what I have seen of the 37", I wasn't all that impressed with the PQ. If that is the case, I can't see how someone can compare this 42" to the PQ of a Bravia. I was really hoping for 1080p this year but if this isn't going to cut it, the options seem very limited for 2006. The Sharp LC-45GD7u accepts 1080p inputs but not 1080p PC sources and I know they have one coming out later this year that will take the 1080p on the PC. However, the cost is going to be a lot more than the Westy. Maybe this is going to be as good as it will get this year. What to do...What to do....

:(

I actually like 37" Westy as a TV. I've tried watching DVD via Labtop (1080p on a powerbook) and also from my oppo upconverted dvd player and I didn't see anything that was inferior to the labtop 1080p to 1080i from oppo. Also, 1080i and 720p HDTV signals look fabulous on the display as well. However, on the 480i SDTV signals, PQ varies depending of the qualify of source, but it still does a fairly good job with them. It's comparable or better than the sony crt tv depending on the source feed. As for play back of 480i DVD on 480i feed, Westy looks so much better than the Sony CRT.

Basically, blame on the cable company for sending crapy 480i signals, because good 480i looks even better on westy than most CRT TV's.
post #203 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac

Basically, blame on the cable company for sending crapy 480i signals, because good 480i looks even better on westy than most CRT TV's.

I was actually referring to Sony Bravia LCD PQ but still seems like you think it is a great picture which is encouraging. Maybe BB isn't calibrating the West properly becasue it never looks as good as what is next to it on the demo floor when I walk in there and usually it is near a LCD Sony Bravia (XBR series), Phillips, or Samsung
post #204 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac
I actually like 37" Westy as a TV. I've tried watching DVD via Labtop (1080p on a powerbook) and also from my oppo upconverted dvd player and I didn't see anything that was inferior to the labtop 1080p to 1080i from oppo. Also, 1080i and 720p HDTV signals look fabulous on the display as well. However, on the 480i SDTV signals, PQ varies depending of the qualify of source, but it still does a fairly good job with them. It's comparable or better than the sony crt tv depending on the source feed. As for play back of 480i DVD on 480i feed, Westy looks so much better than the Sony CRT.

I have the westy 37 inch along with an HP 65 inch 1080p DLP set, a 42 inch EDTV plasma and a front projection system. And, I can tell you by a long shot, the 37 inch westy is terrible when viewing 480i or DVDs compared to the rest of my displays. I would highly recommend against the 37inch westy as someone's primary display. The old sharp model 45 incher that could actually take a 1080p signal from a PC with a workaround, is a better option...and now can be found relatively cheap. The new sharp can't take a PC signal, so that I don't like. I will pick up a 42inch westy to check it out and hope that it does a better job than the 37 inch for SDTV. However, the 37 inch westy is perfect as a PC monitor, which is how I use it. If you want an HTPC display, you can't beat the westys.

post #205 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonic
I have the westy 37 inch along with an HP 65 inch 1080p DLP set, a 42 inch EDTV plasma and a front projection system. And, I can tell you by a long shot, the 37 inch westy is terrible when viewing 480i or DVDs compared to the rest of my displays. I would highly recommend against the 37inch westy as someone's primary display. The old sharp model 45 incher that could actually take a 1080p signal from a PC with a workaround, is a better option...and now can be found relatively cheap. The new sharp can't take a PC signal, so that I don't like. I will pick up a 42inch westy to check it out and hope that it does a better job than the 37 inch for SDTV. However, the 37 inch westy is perfect as a PC monitor, which is how I use it. If you want an HTPC display, you can't beat the westys.
Which connection source have you tested them?.. My experience is mainly on component and DVI. My D* H20 box is hooked up HDMI/DVI cable on DVI2 on the westy so the H20 box is actually deterlacing all the 480i to 480p, but rest of the HD signals are set to native pass through. However, 480i dvd playback on 480i feed was tested on the denon 2900 via component. I did see 480p being better than 480i from the same player on the westy, but 480i on the sony CRT to westy, westy was noticeable better after I calibrating the Westy again at 480i.

All this time, I thought westy was as good or better on the good 480i contents. Maybe I should get a DLP and check it out.
post #206 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I was actually referring to Sony Bravia LCD PQ but still seems like you think it is a great picture which is encouraging. Maybe BB isn't calibrating the West properly becasue it never looks as good as what is next to it on the demo floor when I walk in there and usually it is near a LCD Sony Bravia (XBR series), Phillips, or Samsung
epie,

I was hoping for the Westy 42" LCD, but after looking at the Panasonic TH42PX50U at Best Buy today, it has totally changed my mind about plasma TV's. The picture quality on the Panasonic was crystal clear and the colors were amazing. Out of all the sets at BB, the Panasonic has won me over. Beside the quality of the Panasonic, I'll get a better bang for my buck.

Since I am anal about burn-in and I've always worried about burn-in with the plasma TV's, I'll have to pay close attention to my 100 hour of the break-in period and limit my wife to watching standard TV's. How I hate those bold station ID bugs.

Are the newer 8th generation plasmas panels less prone to burn-in or not?

Randy
post #207 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugg, please cant wait for more actual user reviews, I'm thinking about the panasonic to but do not want to spend that kind of money on a TV that only does 1024X768

post #208 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
Ugg, please cant wait for more actual user reviews, I'm thinking about the panasonic to but do not want to spend that kind of money on a TV that only does 1024X768
swanlee,

Once you personally see the Panasonic in action, you'll see the picture quality this baby can produce. I am sure BB had at least forty sets feeding off of one main source and the picture from the TH42PX50U was excellent. I figure, when I have this set hooked to only one main source, the picture should look stunning.

Good Luck,
Randy
post #209 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 08:03 PM

I would agree that the Panasonic plasma is a very nice picture however this purchase depends on what you want out of this HDTV which is 1080p for me. If I was willing to get a great picture that wasn't future proof I would have purchased the Bravia already (I'm still nervouse about burn-in risk with plasmas). However, I want this purchase to last at least 10 years so for me it is crucial to have 1080p. If the Westy doesn't work out, I'll perhaps consider the Sharp LC-45GD7U (which doesn't get a lot of reviews but looks great)or others that have 1080p. My bet is that we will all have/want an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player in the next 5 years and maybe streaming HD content over the Internet. I'd like to know that I purchased an HDTV that was compatible with 1080p from at least one source if not both.
post #210 of 3243 Old 02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascheew
I ordered my LVM-42w2 through distribution today at a very attractive price. The Westinghouse rep for the Southeast region said that the TVs are in the harbor going through customs right now and that I should see it in about 2 weeks. I'll post a review as soon as I get it. I hate waiting!
Hopefully not "literally" in the harbor.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page