How to connect HD DVR & DVD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this over in the HD Recorder forum, but got no response... Maybe you guys can help me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Panny 42px50u. Friday the Adelphia tech is coming out to install a Motorola Moxi HD DVR. I'm also going to be purchasing a Sony upconverting DVD player. My question is, what is the best way to hook up these 2 devices to my plasma? I'm thinking about using components for DVR to plasma, and HDMI for DVD player to plasma. Is there a reasonably better way. It just seems like a lot of cables... Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciate. Thanks...

Oh yeah, as a side-note, does anyone have any experience with the Motorola Moxi DVR?? Is it good?? Bad?? Ugly?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-20-2005, 09:22 PM

That's the way I'd do it.

Pioneer Elite Pro-1120 HD Plasma with Cable Card
Chief Wall Mount Bracket
Paradigm Mini Monitor L/R Front, CC-170 Center, AMS-100 L/R Rear Speakers, and PS-1000 Subwoofer.
Denon AVR-2800 Receiver
post #3 of 8 Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree...ordinarily I would recommend doing the opposite and using HDMI for the Sat. Box and Component for the DVD player, but it would be better to take advantage of the upconversion option on the DVD player, which I believe is only active through HDMI. So yes, HDMI for DVD player, and Component for the HD box.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamorris2

Oh yeah, as a side-note, does anyone have any experience with the Motorola Moxi DVR?? Is it good?? Bad?? Ugly?????
I had 2 of these boxes for almost a year and I really liked them. I didn't like the monthly fee Adelphia was charging me for them though. I took them back and got me Replay TV's instead. If the Moxi would be able to stream video to any other Moxi, then that would be nice. The HD quality was pretty good. The USB ports are not enabled on these. Also you cannot burn any show you record onto a DVD as easily as you can with the Replay. Good luck.

00004-54832-04707
post #5 of 8 Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamorris2
I posted this over in the HD Recorder forum, but got no response... Maybe you guys can help me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Panny 42px50u. Friday the Adelphia tech is coming out to install a Motorola Moxi HD DVR. I'm also going to be purchasing a Sony upconverting DVD player. My question is, what is the best way to hook up these 2 devices to my plasma? I'm thinking about using components for DVR to plasma, and HDMI for DVD player to plasma. Is there a reasonably better way. It just seems like a lot of cables... Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciate. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484I
agree...ordinarily I would recommend doing the opposite and using HDMI for the Sat. Box and Component for the DVD player, but it would be better to take advantage of the upconversion option on the DVD player, which I believe is only active through HDMI. So yes, HDMI for DVD player, and Component for the HD box.
Today 12:22 AM
I agree with "tdavis21484I." You will not see a BIG difference with HD content played through component versus HDMI. Some up converting DVD players will scale 480i to 720p/1080i through component, but to me it makes more sense to use a digital interface to avoid the digital --> analog --> digital conversion for a 480i DVD played over component.

When shopping for an up converting DVD player the biggest concern is the potential for macro blocking which is reported to be prevalent on Panasonic PDPs that play 480i DVDs scaled to 720p/1080i. I just purchased an Oppo OPDV971H to use with my 50PX50U and I'm very interested to see how this up converting DVD player performs.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

any macroblocks will be the fault of the DVD (likely) or the player's upconversion.

a display is just that, a display. it only shows you what you give it. if you give it crap it displays crap ;).
post #7 of 8 Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd
any macroblocks will be the fault of the DVD (likely) or the player's upconversion.

a display is just that, a display. it only shows you what you give it. if you give it crap it displays crap ;).
You should "bone-up" on the number of "quality" up converting DVD players that use the Faroudja deinterlacing and scaling chip and its potential effect regarding macro blocking problems with a 1366 x 768 PDP before posting your "trash" on the AVS Forum. :rolleyes:
post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

so you're saying it's only faroudja chipset players? and how is that not compatible with "fault of the player"?

re-read what i posted.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page