Phillips Plasma.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
I am thinking of purchasing a Plasma TV in the next 30 days. I am a newbie in the Plasma TV dept. & am in need of some help. I have looked around at my local Costco & Best Buy & I found the Philips 42PF7220A/37 at Costco & PRICE-wise it seems like a good deal. I would "like" to keep the purchase at $2K or less but don't want a terrible plasma either. Any recommendations for Plasma's 42"+ around the $2K dollar range? Is the Philips a decent TV? I will have it hooked right up to digital cable with some HDTV channels - if that makes a difference.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Threads merged
Are you serious? We can't say a TV is at a "great" price somewhere? I never used "discount" or gave the actual price, i just said "great". There have been hundreds of posts that have discussed "great" prices that haven't been edited. Amazing.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 922
welcome

these threads can only be posted in this sticky:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6939434

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM

First I would like to thank the members of the AVS forum. This site has so much information, almost too much. We were in the market for a 50" PDP and we went to many stores to see the displays in person but really never got a chance to really tweak with them. In one store one the X would look better than the Y and Z and in another store Z would look better than X but not Y and so on. Well with all of the positive posts about the Panasonic that's what we settled on. We purchased the TH-50PM50U from Costco. The price was very fair and we heard ( also on this forum) that Costco has a great satisfaction policy. We ordered the set on the first day of the sale (01/09) and although the site said that it would take 20 working days for delivery it only took 7, needless to say we were pretty impressed. When we fired the set up I brought all of the picture levels down (again per this forum) & even at the lower levels it looks great. We have satellite (via component) and our HD is due this weekend so I'll have to update when that is online. On some feeds the picture is fair when you are up close and on others it's pretty good, but at normal viewing distances it looks good and very good. I expected this as it is the same on our 34" Toshiba CRT. For kicks I put on the Batman Begins DVD (which is also hooked up via Component as we are waiting for the HDMI cables) and was totally blown away. Even with the levels turned down the picture was awesome. We couldn't be happier. A few things that are so true that I've learned from this forum are:

1. The display does look bigger in your house than in the store.

2. All of the good PDP's will look awesome when it is in your house because there isn't another one right next to it to compare it with.

3. If you are in the market for a set just buy one. Sure next year's model will have this that or whatever that this year's doesn't, but it also won't have what the year after will have. When does it stop? Life's too short, enjoy it.

For the other people who ordered the TH-50PM50U I really think that you'll be happy with it.

Thanks again AVS.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 922
this thread will be merged into the sticky thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6939434

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread will be merged with the Costoc/BB/CC master thread..

just a heads up..
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2006, 12:23 PM

This thread will be merged with the Costco master thread shortly..just a heads up.:)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Old thread. Responses have been merged with Costco master thread.

thread closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page