Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 3647 Old 01-19-2006, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kingfrog is right, Walmart and Dell is actually Best Buy's biggest threat right now. Dell is hurting them where it hurts, in computers. B&M stores have high cost on those things, while Dell mainly only having Kiosks and online stores not only killing them in that department, but is now moving onto TV, camera, and mp3 players.

Walmart is just pure power. I personally have a relative who tried to get their product into Walmart, and their buying power is huge, and so are their pricing power, and lastly the contract they get you to sign is even worse. There's no way Walmart is going to support Costco style of return policy, and they are stepping into the TV world with Daewoo plasmas and such. I don't think HDTV is big enough for Walmart to jump in as a big player yet though, still too many people holding back. They are just waiting in the shadows, but if they do, I doubt they'd carry all the nice stuff a lot of people on this forum enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnakster View Post

Kingfrog is right, Walmart and Dell is actually Best Buy's biggest threat right now. Dell is hurting them where it hurts, in computers. B&M stores have high cost on those things, while Dell mainly only having Kiosks and online stores not only killing them in that department, but is now moving onto TV, camera, and mp3 players.

Walmart is just pure power. I personally have a relative who tried to get their product into Walmart, and their buying power is huge, and so are their pricing power, and lastly the contract they get you to sign is even worse. There's no way Walmart is going to support Costco style of return policy, and they are stepping into the TV world with Daewoo plasmas and such. I don't think HDTV is big enough for Walmart to jump in as a big player yet though, still too many people holding back. They are just waiting in the shadows, but if they do, I doubt they'd carry all the nice stuff a lot of people on this forum enjoy.

I agree I do not think they will carry the top end stuff. But most everyday people do not buy the enthusiast's choice. They buy value. Especially Wal Mart shoppers. If Wal Mart carried the Panasonic ED or non Elite Pioneer stuff they could severly hurt the Best Buys who depend on EWs for most of their operating margins.

Best Buy is trying to be the Wal Mart of Electronics. Hardly a top end Home Theater store. One needs sales people to EDUCATE unknowing customers, Not sales people educated to rip them of and take advantage of that ignorance. Something high end respectable retailers don't do.

Enthusiasts will always shop specialty stores to buy the lastest and greatest. Thats why those TV prices will stay high. No volume. Targeted market who WILL pay more if for nothing else substantial to be a member of the "exclusivity club". IT's always that way with high ticket products. The value is not so much in the build as the price rises but the exclusivity of affordable product.

People think hand made is better and are duped into paying more when the human error factor is supremely higher then machine made. this applies from Steinway Pianos to Roll's Royces. Cars are much better today because of the lack of human interference more then anything else as are circuit boards (and pianos).

People equate Chines products with shabby quality.........I wonder if they are mostly hand made.....?

Average Joe For those few who actually watch the content rather then the TV.

Question Everything....Assume nothing.
post #93 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokwell View Post

does anyone know what happened to the 50" pio that was at costco? i know they're supposed to get more in (according to employees)! was i caught sleeping and missed out? i had to wait for the return of my samsung 50" to hit the credit card which took a couple days, and next thing i know everyone was sold out of the pio and none online! HELP PLEASE!

If you read my post above I touch on this since I am in a similiar boat as you.

The 50" Pioneers are listed in the Costco computer as empty at all the stores I called in NJ. They told me that means they might get more in but don't have any on current order. The sku is NOT discontined so that means they might get more in.

The guy I talked to at my local Costco yesterday told me that they are sold out of the 50" Pioneers and that they won't be getting anymore in till Feb or March when the newer models come out. He said they are clearing out old inventory and waiting for the new line in regards to Pioneer. What the new model is? I have no idea. Was this guy full of crap? I have no idea. But he sounded confident with what he was saying and everything else I asked he knew answers to that were correct. So I believe him when he says they are getting/waiting on new models.

I asked about the Philips and he showed me it up on those tall racks and said it won't be for sale or on display till Monday.

I know the Coscto in Delaware still have a few 50" Pioneers left though.

I wish I could get more info on the new models to make my choice easier. Like which model (I am assuming a 5060 equiv) with what type of connections/tuner/cost/etc...

If anyone finds out about newer models please post here.

I did notice on costco.com a few days ago they llisted the new JVC 1080 LCOS series. All 3 sizes but they are already MIA. Wonder if they jumped the gun on those models or just sold them out that quick.
post #94 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 AM

You may be well served getting one of the Pio's in Delaware....no sales tax, right?
post #95 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotlandcap View Post

You may be well served getting one of the Pio's in Delaware....no sales tax, right?

You got that right. I drove down there a few nights ago and bought the 50" Pioneer and saved $240 on sales tax. But was unable to fit it in my car so I had to return it.

I plan to head down there soon and pickup the 42" Pioneer instead. But the 50" Philips that goes on sale Monday is tempting.
post #96 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post

I think the 7320 & 7220 are the same, but Costco was given it's own part number. It's not uncommon for Sam's Club or Costco to have the same item that's available in other stores but with a different part number or SKU.

Edit: I just did a quick look through the first 10 or so pages of the two manuals & they appear identical. In fact, the help box on the table of contents lists both of them (in addition to the 37" & 42" models.

I was in a Costco in Nashua NH last night, and both the 32" and 37" LCD's were 7320's not 7220's.
(I'm not sure if that's the TV's you're talking about though.) Also while looking on Philips site, I didn't see any 7220's at all.

And unfortunately I didn't see any Sharp 32" or 37" LCD's at all. Like someone else said the HDTV section seemed very 'empty'. Hopefully the selection does improve soon.

-Kyle
post #97 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM

I will never buy anything from CC again. I may get something from BB if its on sale. At least there, you dont get attacked by salemen. For the most part, I'm now a full time costco and online shopper.
post #98 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 10:23 AM

Never posted before, long time lurker, but reading this made me want to chime in. Last night on way home, I stopped at local WallyWorld to pick up wall mount for newly ordered 50px50u; Sanus customer service had given me the scoop on a mount of theirs that Wal-Mart carries as a private label brand for about half of Sanus' official price.

I was amazed at the new look to the electronics area! They really are cleaning it up and displaying some higher end stuff. It was clean, organized, had more iPods than either CC or BB (and displayed better!), maybe 5-6 plasmas, some lcds, computer cards, etc. I had read in either NYTimes or WSJournal recently about how they are starting to carry some "aspirational" items for mainstream middle and upper-middle income shoppers (plasmas, diamond rings, etc.). It looks like they are really going to expand up the food chain, and I wouldn't bet on them losing ground on the bottom feeders either...

Just my take,
Squirrel

Charge it to the Underhills
post #99 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Man, wonder what CC and Sears and various other stores you guys go to get attacked by sales, I always get ignored. (Not like I walk in with a Best Buy shirt on.) Walmart I highly doubt will ever carry Pioneer plasmas unless they start getting the Costco model ones.

On B&M part, I agree Best Buy need to train their people more because people walk into a store to get educated on what they are buying, and they pay retail for the service/proper display of products. However, we should still be thankful that these B&M's are pushing all these tv's else if it is mainly online sellers and local mom&pop shops, we'd still be looking at 5k budget 42" plasmas due to lack of demand.

Shabby quality relating to Chinese products is only due to 1. people have seen the poor condition of the country a few years ago. 2. Racism. 3. Actual experience with poor quality control of products from China.
post #100 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post

N
I was amazed at the new look to the electronics area! They really are cleaning it up and displaying some higher end stuff. It was clean, organized, had more iPods than either CC or BB (and displayed better!), maybe 5-6 plasmas, some lcds, computer cards, etc. I had read in either NYTimes or WSJournal recently about how they are starting to carry some "aspirational" items for mainstream middle and upper-middle income shoppers (plasmas, diamond rings, etc.). It looks like they are really going to expand up the food chain, and I wouldn't bet on them losing ground on the bottom feeders either...

Just my take,
Squirrel

Im tellin ya Look out for Wal Mart. They will be the nail in CC and Best Buy's coffin. They have the buying power AND more importantly can deliver public exposure the BB and CC cannot. can one imagine how many people will see their first HD TV in a Wal Mart. I would bet more then who have seen them in other places.

Any Tv manufacturere who wants to sell TVs who be foolish to hold back their brand from Wal Mart. They not only have the opportunity to move more product but as a bonus they can create a whole new "fancy" line for exclusive dealers made up of the really the same TVs with a few cosmetic and some frivilous feature enhancements for a lot more money. Win Win for all. Buyers and Sellers.

Best Buy sales people are trained to push very exensive add ons using fear and ridicule taking advantage of ignorance as a sales tactic.

( I was told I needed a MOnster power conditioner because "it has seperate joules" for every component enhancing the picture. When I told him TVs have switching power supplies and that being the case a line conditioner does ZERO for a TV especially as far as PQ goes he walked away to "chat" with a mamager. Reminds me of a car dealership).

At least Wal Mart does not have pretenders selling. You need to know what you want and buy it. If there is a sales person they will not have the "pressure" to sell sell sell and thusly claim ignorance when such is so. No one in Wal Mart "sells" They assist. If I were in charge of Wal Mart I would hire a knowlegable sales associate just to answer questions. NOT to sell. But to enable customers to make choices based on what THEY need not what the Sales force thinks they need for the bottom line. This could add alot to the bottom line as they do not depend on EWs or electronics sales to carry them. No pressure. Just business as usual.

post #101 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfrog View Post

Im tellin ya Look out for Wal Mart. They will be the nail in CC and Best Buy's coffin. They have the buying power AND more importantly can deliver public exposure the BB and CC cannot. can one imagine how many people will see their first HD TV in a Wal Mart. I would bet more then who have seen them in other places.

I did some consulting work at BB HQ in their strategic marketing dept. Best Buy knows that Wal-Mart is its #1 competition, not CC, not any of the smaller chains. The vast majority of competitive analysis by BB is focused on beating Wal-Mart. They rarely even menitioned CC, Good Guys, Ultimate, Tweeter, Sears, etc.
post #102 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

I did some consulting work at BB HQ in their strategic marketing dept. Best Buy knows that Wal-Mart is its #1 competition, not CC, not any of the smaller chains. The vast majority of competitive analysis by BB is focused on beating Wal-Mart. They rarely even menitioned CC, Good Guys, Ultimate, Tweeter, Sears, etc.

Man you would think Best Buy would calm down the guerilla selling tactics and taking full advantage of customer ignorance to enhance their bottom line. Wal Mart will not do that. they don't have to. Just provide a good product at a decent price. It has worked for them since Sam opened up his first dime store.

Best Buy has nor seen anything yet except their reputation go down the tubes. I used to respect that stores years ago. But they are like a used car dealership anymore. hit and run. Even the Geek squad is designed to take as much as they can from unsuspecting customers and the training in that department is hardly proficient considering what they pay those "technicians."

post #103 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Hi,

I just went to BB to get the 50" Zenith Plasma that had a $400 MIR on it... I tried to use my 10% off coupon and was rejected because they said I can't combine it with the existing offer. Did anyone else run into this problem?? Because as far as I can tell, a lot of people got this deal.
post #104 of 3647 Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

Just curious, is it standard practice for your consulting firm to randomly talk about client strategies on internet forums?
post #105 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 05:33 AM

I purchased the Zenith yesterday online..........no problems.
post #106 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
NBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbb View Post

Just curious, is it standard practice for your consulting firm to randomly talk about client strategies on internet forums?

Talk about client strategies? He didn't do anything of the sort. All he did was mention that WM is their #1 focus in performing competitive analyses. That is hardly news. Reading any Wall Street equity research report would tell you that. Guess what? Wal-Mart is the #1 focus for not only Best Buy, but also: Circuit City, Sears/K-mart, Target, JC Penny, Kohl's, Toys-R-Us, OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons, Ahold, SuperValu, Costco, BJs, CVS, Walgreens, TJX, CompUSA, PETsMART, SportsAuthority, and anywhere else that Wal-Mart chooses to focus its merchandise strategy on.

A discussion on strategy would have included how they intend to battle the ever-growing influence of Wal-Mart, not just that they've identified them as their #1 competitor.
post #107 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and found it thru a google search of plasma forums. What I have read sofar is very informative.
Now to my question: I went to Cosco hoping to buy a TH-50PM50U but to no avail. he person at the customer sevice desk said they were available on-line but I could not pull it up. While in the store I looked at the Visio P50HDM and was impressed. Not much info on the net about this company.
Does anyone have any input about this unit or the company or should I wait for a Panasonic?
Thanks, Jim
post #108 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 01:41 PM
NBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb3656 View Post

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and found it thru a google search of plasma forums. What I have read sofar is very informative.
Now to my question: I went to Cosco hoping to buy a TH-50PM50U but to no avail. he person at the customer sevice desk said they were available on-line but I could not pull it up. While in the store I looked at the Visio P50HDM and was impressed. Not much info on the net about this company.
Does anyone have any input about this unit or the company or should I wait for a Panasonic?
Thanks, Jim

Jim, welcome to the forum. This TV is very well regarded and a general consensus exists that it is one of the best "bang for you buck" 50" plasmas. There is a thread that talks about this unit in detail. The only downside is that it is currently at 4,357 posts and counting. It might take a while to get through. But surely you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know. Here's the link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=543988
post #109 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 PM

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Jim
post #110 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 02:14 PM

I checked the link you provided and WOW
post #111 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 02:17 PM
NBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb3656 View Post

I checked the link you provided and WOW

Yeah, the good news is that you should be able to make a well-educated decision. The bad news is that by the time you get through the whole thing, we'll all have moved on from plasma to 3-D holographic projection images! Good luck.
post #112 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry, I'm new here and hit wrong button and reported a bad post. I hope no harm was done.
post #113 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No harm was done, and welcome to AVS.
post #114 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hi all. Long time viewer, first time poster.

Couple thoughts about king frog's poor experiences with BB. While I am not a shareholder or anything like that, I am a part time employee of BB for about a year on the weekends, aside from a full-time job during the week.

All I can speak for is what happens at my store, and that is all.

BB doesn't always practice the sales attack tactics that you seem to experience in my opinion, although I agree it does happen way more than it should.

BB, to me, isn't a complete loss though. A perfect example: the Xbox 360 launch. A simple scan of various stores would show that almost every chain store was "forcing" bundles of 360's with additional accessories onto the unit.

CC forced rediculous bundles in the excess of $500 (game, controller, etc), online and in their B&Ms

EVEN MICRO CENTER packaged bundles that customers told me amounted to over $600!

And Costco shared the same practice too, with a clam-shell type package including a controller and game to my knowledge.

In the end, BB was one of the ONLY places that people could stand a chance to get a 360 on lauch day (and now weeks to follow), WITHOUT any additional accessories, period.

Surely some of you heard about some stores forcing 360 bundles, but I assure you our store didn't, period. Later we were told that ANY employees caught or reported forcing bundles could be subject to termination. If that's not a move in the right direction I don't know what is. Corporate even sent investigators to stores to ascertain who did force bundles on the 360.

I'm not a stockholder, and I won't always work for BB I'm sure, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt; just want you to know that when people come to my store, they get an honest graduate-level educated opinion about whatever it is they need. My head likes to hit the pillow knowing I didn't fleece anybody.

And I ALWAYS educate about WIDESCREEN
post #115 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies758 View Post

I'm not a stockholder, and I won't always work for BB I'm sure, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt; just want you to know that when people come to my store, they get an honest graduate-level educated opinion about whatever it is they need. My head likes to hit the pillow knowing I didn't fleece anybody.

And I ALWAYS educate about WIDESCREEN

Sadly, based on my rather frequent trips to BB, you're the exception rather than the rule. Now, to be fair, I have found a small share of intelligent, non used car sales people at BB. From time to time, I've even had some long, cross-educational conversations with some.

Unfortunately, like I said, they're the exception. I still hear the same old crap from a majority of them, between pushing one brand, or using BS (even heard the gas refill as recent as a couple months ago, when I thought it was all but dead) tactics to push extended warranties, and just making stuff up rather than admitting to not knowing the answer.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #116 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Sadly, based on my rather frequent trips to BB, you're the exception rather than the rule.

I'm sincerely sorry that has been your experience
I don't know where they find some of these dope-smoking types. I'm saving up now for a Pioneer plasma, and try to dispel burn-in / longevity myths whenever I can. As far as extended warranty's go, I agree they aren't for everybody.

On the brightside, many BB are adding mini-Magnolias, which may help the lack of sheer tech knowledge and myth dispersal.

I read many HT mags and reviews seem to be pretty upbeat about the courtesy and know-how of the reps that work there.

I do remember when our local BB used to sell $1000 bipolar speakers in the mid 90s...

Sigh.....

The price of dumbing down HT.....
post #117 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Just a little news for anyone who cares, Best Buy is not losing Fujitsu's and adding Hitachi's. Fujitsu's are now moving over to Circuit City. Same with Boston Accoustics.
post #118 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoche View Post

Hi,

I just went to BB to get the 50" Zenith Plasma that had a $400 MIR on it... I tried to use my 10% off coupon and was rejected because they said I can't combine it with the existing offer. Did anyone else run into this problem?? Because as far as I can tell, a lot of people got this deal.

I was thinking about purchasing the Zenith today at BB with the 10% off. They also told me a bunch of crap about they can't combine offers because it would be under their cost. What a load. The rebate was a manufacturers rebate that wouldn't come out of BB's pocket. I think they may have done me a favor though. I liked the Philips they had above the Zenith better so I am going to look at that at Costco on Monday when it goes on sale. I prefer to buy from Costco anyway and have the security of their return policy. That Philips is sounding better and better.
post #119 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCsoldier View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

First off, I have to acknowledge this website, its forums, and its members - truly a wealth of knowledge. This site was my primary source of info during my plasma research phase.

Now, onto my post. Today, after much research and deliberation, I purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX50U from Circuit City. While I was signing up for the CC credit card (to get $140 store credit from my purchase), I had a CC salesman approach me, inquiring about my purchase. I told him that I just bought the Panny, and he immediately asked if I included their warranty. I said no, and he reacted in shock. I was told first that plasmas last only a few years at best, and then that, when they break, they're as good as dead - no possibility of repair. He then relayed a sob story about how he had purchased a plasma two years ago, and it recently broke - three one-inch thick black bars appeared vertically on the screen, right in the middle of it. He said something like "the lines of resolution died". He told me he wished he had purchased a warranty, because his TV was now worthless and unrepairable. I asked him if he had received similar complaints from customers in the past, and he affirmed that yes, he had heard from many customers that their flatscreens died within a few years of purchase. He then brought me a Consumer Reports magazine, bookmarked to a page discussing the fact that plasmas are relatively new, and thus their reliability is unknown. The article broke CR tradition and suggested that a warranty be considered. I was then told that, if I changed my mind about the warranty, I could come back in and have the purchase price refunded.

Here I stand. I have combed this website and its forums, looking for anything and everything discussing plasma life-spans, and I remain convinced that they are sufficiently reliable. I plan on getting a refund for this warranty. But, before I do, I wanted to hear the community's take on my experience today. Is there any truth to these horror stories? Is a $500/3-year warranty worth it? Is plasma a technology worth investing $3000 in? I get the sense that this community is comprised of plasma advocates, but I'm hoping to get some hard-truth, honest responses here.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and advise. Your comments are highly valued. I look forward to reading your responses.

-John C.

A CC sales guy with income topped at $10/hr bought a plasma.... and even though he had a discount of about 65% on the warranty he didn't buy..... BS.
post #120 of 3647 Old 01-21-2006, 11:42 PM

They also told me a bunch of crap about they can't combine offers because it would be under their cost. What a load.

Actually, that's the truth, at least in my store as long I've worked there. We're not allowed to combine or stack offers to my knowledge.

Some people seem to think that BB makes tons of money on MOST everything they sell, which just isn't the case. Why do you think one of the reasons BB pushes the warranty's in the first place? To help with profit margins. That doesn't excuse the badgering about them that goes on sometimes though.

Shop with your money. But just to remind you, not every chain buys wholesale like Costco can and can pass on the prices to its customers as low as they do.

On new release Tuesday, BB routinely loses anywhere from $1-4 on EVERY copy of popular DVD's for what it's worth.

It's called business for a reason, and my store routinely negotiates its pricing in favorable ways to its customers.

Don't get me wrong. I negotiate prices on my car. My house. And yes, even my tv.

I guess my question is how fair is it to expect a retailer to everyday operate on a wholesaler's pricing tier?

And when they can't EVERY DAY, then to view it like they're gouging.
Just seems like some people are a bit unrealistic if they don't think they can get most ANY purchase for next to nothing or at cost.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page