Purchased 26 inch Polaroid FLM-2632 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-13-2006, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the Polaroid FLM-2632 at Circuit City this weekend. I haven't had a chance to play with it much or calibrate it with DVE yet, but had a couple initial impressions. I purchased the Polaroid after returning a 26'' Syntax Olevia because of a speaker buzz issue.

The TV has a better picture compared to the Syntax, especially when viewed from an angle. I don't see any dead or stuck pixels after I spent some time carefully looking for them.

The TV makes an electric humming sound when it is first turned on and a faint electrical humm that once the tv is running. Anyone else with the set hear this when it is first turned on?

The ATSC tuner is able to lock stations pretty well even though I'm just using a small indoor antenna in a high multipath environment. It works better than my LG 3510 or the samsung set top box i used to have.

I was hoping to wall mount the tv using the mount that I had bought for the Syntax, but the configuration on the back of the TV is different. It is not the same VESA 75/100 that it looks like all other 26'' tv's use, but is configured like other larger LCD's. The mount I had to buy was more expensive than the smaller one's for other LCD tv's, so this decreased some of the price advantage of this cheap tv.

I hooked the HDTV cable box up using the component connections after I tried DVI to HDMI cable. I was getting sparklies with the HDMI. I don't know if it was the cable, cable box, or tv.

I really like the remote control that came with the tv. It is a larger remote than a lot of cheaper LCD's and is very comfortable to use.

After I calibrate with DVE, I'll post my settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
keep us informed..

i was looking at the polariod FLM-3232 set.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #3 of 25 Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM

If you don't mind me asking, which Syntax Olevia model did you return? I have been considering the LT26HVX for our bedroom but the Polaroid model also looks interesting, especially with the integrated ATSC tuner.

Thanks,

Red.
post #4 of 25 Old 03-14-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I returned the LT26HVX. I was happy with the picture quality, but I couldn't ignore the speaker noise.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Hi All,

I just joined avsforum and it looks like a greate site so far. I just bought the FLM-2632 last night and since I don't have cable or dish, I hooked it up to the old standby rabbit ears from my old CRT TV. I have a few problems with the unit and just want to see if you guys know what the problem is:

1. I was able to get a greate picture for ABC, WB, WOR, (ch 7, 11, 9) but the picture for the other channels were bad FOX , NBC, CBS. I don't know why but perhaps I need a Terk HDTVi antenna?

2. The channel up/down buttons does not seem to work on the remote. When I use the buttons it seem to be switching channels but the channel the ot goes to is the same one I was on. So, I'm on channel 7 and I press up or down and I ended up on channel 7 again. Changing the channels using the number buttons works fine.

3. I hear a cracking (snap, crackle, pop rice crispies???) from the TV when the volume up to normal. When I mute or when I turn the volumne down to nothing I don't hear the cracking. This only happens with the broadcast channels. The audio thrugh the DVD play sounds fine.

4. I hooked up my DVD player (Apex 1600) to the TV via RCA cables and used the new TV remote to operate the TV and the DVD player (I programmed the remote using the code in the TV's owner's manual) When I tried to use the ff and fr aand chapter skips on the DVD it will work and then it changes the channel on my TV and then goes from DVD to TV mode.

I'l appreciate any help on this.

Jim
post #6 of 25 Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I purchased this TV also and am absolutely in love with it. MUUUCCCCHHHHH better picture than my Sanyo 27in 4:3 HDTV had. This TV has sweet, easy to use menus, exceptional picture quality, and HDMI, so I can finally upconvert my DVD's from my upconverting Toshiba DVD player.

VERY HAPPY!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #7 of 25 Old 05-05-2006, 11:51 AM

I got the Polaroid FLM2632 a couple of months ago. When changing channels using the remote, sometimes the TV would stop responding to remote control channel changes. It does respond to remote volume button and the buttons on the TV. I think the TV is stuck in some tuning action which pits it against handling the remote TV channel change buttons.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:

The mount I had to buy was more expensive than the smaller one's for other LCD tv's, so this decreased some of the price advantage of this cheap tv.

I've been searching for a mount for the Polaroid FLM-2632 and FLM-3232. All of the ones I find will protrude from the sides of the TV. This is because they are made for 50" to 60" TVs.

Is the mount you bought showing from behind the TV?
What Make and Model did you buy?

Thanks.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartretrac View Post

I've been searching for a mount for the Polaroid FLM-2632 and FLM-3232. All of the ones I find will protrude from the sides of the TV. This is because they are made for 50" to 60" TVs.

Is the mount you bought showing from behind the TV?
What Make and Model did you buy?

Thanks.

I found a mount made by Peerless that works with the Polaroid FLM-3232. I've hung it on the wall and it is flush and hidden behind the TV. They also have a couple other models that work with the Polaroid FLM-3232.

I got the Peerless SF640-S

Here are the model families that will work. Each model has variants of security and color:

SF640
SF660
ST640
post #10 of 25 Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I recently purchased this set and overall, I'm very pleased with the picture. I am having one small problem---all of the stations are PSIP mapped with the exception of WJZ-DT in Baltimore. Is anybody familiar with why the tuner in this set and why it is not mapping this one station?
post #11 of 25 Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 AM

I am about to buy a set this size, I notice the Sanyo 26" LCD at Walmart. Good spec's and price. They didn't have it connected to a decent feed. Anyone compare the Polaroid to this?
post #12 of 25 Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I took a notice at the 26" ilo at Walmart, and thought that RCA, Sanyo, and Polaroid even blew away Wal-Mart's own exclusive brand. However, I must say, for the PQ, price, and longevity, and the bells and whistles, I would choose Polaroid over some of the others as far as budget brands. There was a time when the RCA 26" looked great, but now they're nothing.

My personal purchase would be the 26" Samsung from Wal-Mart, maybe that 3000:1 contrast ratio got my attention. Can't explain that one (unless that was Samsung's Dynamic Contrast Ratio). Does anyone know what the TRUE contrast ratio is for Sammy-boy? That 3000:1 or 4000:1 sounds more dynamic than pure.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Stay away from the 26" Sanyo, it is a blury mess, even when hooked to an HD feed. It is even blurry on stationary images.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #14 of 25 Old 10-15-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbuckeye View Post

I picked up the Polaroid FLM-2632 at Circuit City this weekend. I haven't had a chance to play with it much or calibrate it with DVE yet, but had a couple initial impressions....

After I calibrate with DVE, I'll post my settings.

Could you please tell me the calibration settings you recorded for the Polaroid FLM-2632.

Thank you
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2006, 04:48 PM

HI

i m becoming fustrated since i acquire a lcd polaroid .i d like to buy a full motion wall mount for it .Any advice , any specific model you suggest .is it possible to find for a 26 inches .
i m deseperate to find a good one not too expensive like a Vesa
post #16 of 25 Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 PM

How is the contrast on the FLM tvs? I am looking at the 47" polaroid, really excited about the 1080p but am nervous about the 700:1 contrast ratio.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpms View Post

HI

i m becoming fustrated since i acquire a lcd polaroid .i d like to buy a full motion wall mount for it .Any advice , any specific model you suggest .is it possible to find for a 26 inches .
i m deseperate to find a good one not too expensive like a Vesa

Peerless mounts are inexpensive and high quality. I have 2 of their mounts. I found a articulating wall arm for your tv. I think that is what you mean by "full motion".

Here is a link to all of the Peerless mounts that work with your tv:
http://www.peerlessindustries.com/dy...oductID/159354

Here is a link to the articulating wall arm for your tv:
http://www.peerlessindustries.com/dy...tId/159354/u/F
post #18 of 25 Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Hi, I recently purchased this TV for my wife for christmas. I was a little skeptic about this TV, but the specs looked good and the price was right. I took the TV out to see if it worked and I'm a little concerned. My questions is, hooking up cable to the HDTV input should give me digital channels 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc. It does not find any digital channels when running the setup. (I do get digital channels on my VIZIO 32" LCD). I called Polaroid to see if my TV is defective, they're telling me that I will only get HD (digital) channels if I hook up a digital cable box ? Is that accurate? Shouldn't I be getting digital channels straight from my cable without the cable box if there's a internal HD (digital) tuner ? Thanks for your response in advance.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazer77 View Post

Hi, I recently purchased this TV for my wife for christmas. I was a little skeptic about this TV, but the specs looked good and the price was right. I took the TV out to see if it worked and I'm a little concerned. My questions is, hooking up cable to the HDTV input should give me digital channels 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc. It does not find any digital channels when running the setup. (I do get digital channels on my VIZIO 32" LCD). I called Polaroid to see if my TV is defective, they're telling me that I will only get HD (digital) channels if I hook up a digital cable box ? Is that accurate? Shouldn't I be getting digital channels straight from my cable without the cable box if there's a internal HD (digital) tuner ? Thanks for your response in advance.

To receive digital cable channels through the TV, the TV needs a QAM tuner, which the polaroid does not. It only has an ATSC tuner for over the air HDTV programs.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #20 of 25 Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

To receive digital cable channels through the TV, the TV needs a QAM tuner, which the polaroid does not. It only has an ATSC tuner for over the air HDTV programs.

He's right, your vizio probably has the QAM. Not many HDTV's have them, I wouldn't worry about it though, I'd just get a digital cable box so you can get the local HD channels for free.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm looking at buying the FLM-3232 for $599. Is this Tv worth the money for gaming and Watching sports in HD and regular DVD's. I do have a surround sound system so I'm not worried about the Audio part. I'd just like to know if it's a good buy. Anyone have any pics of their setup with this TV that they wouldn't mind sharing?
post #22 of 25 Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen112 View Post

I'm looking at buying the FLM-3232 for $599. Is this Tv worth the money for gaming and Watching sports in HD and regular DVD's. I do have a surround sound system so I'm not worried about the Audio part. I'd just like to know if it's a good buy. Anyone have any pics of their setup with this TV that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I was very tempted by this TV until I saw that it was listed as having 16ms response time. Not good for gaming if true.

MjC
post #23 of 25 Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 PM

ok. here's my story on the Polaroid FLM-2632 from Circuit City:

i had the first one for like a week. i use it with my computer and a Time Warner HDbox. computer display is via HDMI and cable is via Component cables.
i think i plugged the HDMI cable in while the tv was still on while testing between VGA and HDMI or something. anywayz, the tv ended up locking up on me. the audio/video were fine, but the buttons and remote were both unresponsive. so, i unplugged it. after that it wasn't getting any power. it made noise i think, but i think the red light didn't even come on.

i am writing now because i think it's happening again. i returned the 1st one, used up my warranty, bought another warranty for the 2nd set, and have had no problems since. it's been fine for months. but now, as i type this, the tv is unresponsive. i can't turn it off... the remote doesn't work. it was fine up until now. and it's only been on for like an hour or 2 this session. no messing with the cables or anything. who knows what happened.

i'm afraid to cut the power. i might leave a screensaver on it all night and try to turn it off in the morning. i'm kinda pissed. it's not like i'm abusing the thing.

UPDATE
after leaving it on all night, i turned it off in the morning by switching the surge protector. switched it back on and turned the tv back on. It still works!
2nd time this version of tv has became unresponsive on me tho.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Has anyone tried this TV with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Is it HDCP compatible?
post #25 of 25 Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 AM

For all those looking for a wall mount for this, Polaroid has the hole mount sizes buried on their website. Just do a tech support search for the 2632.
As for the wall mount itself, I found a great one at monoprice that does not protrude from the TV. That was a while ago now, so I can't remember the model number I got, but I do remember it was only like $25. It's been 6 months now, and it's doing great.
Hopefully this thread isn't dead, because I could really use the calibration settings for this guy.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page