My Panasonic Plasma stopped working! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2006, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX50U about three months ago. The Plasma display has worked beautifully since the day I plugged it in. Tonight I turned the display on and after about 20 minutes the screen went black. At first I thought something was wrong with my video connection (component video cables) from my HD satellite.

It didn’t take long to realize it was the display itself. I wasn’t able to bring up the menu. I also couldn’t see the menu to change the input to DVD.

After a few more minutes a horizontal white line appeared on the display. It wasn’t a solid line, rather a series of boxes in a line. These boxers moved from the bottom to the top of the display.

Freaked out I went to the retailer where I purchased the TV and he told me Panasonic now has a 48 hour guarantee. I was told there are three boards in the display. I was told these boards will be replaced at my house and the TV will be fixed or a new one will be on its way within 48 hours of calling them tomorrow. (48 hours Monday through Friday)

I’m sort of happy we bought the extended warranty. I know the TV would still be covered under the factory warranty but it’s still pretty scary. This display has worked perfectly up until today.

I have a few questions and I’d really appreciate any information anyone out there may have. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with my display and has anyone else heard of this 48 hour repair guarantee. 48 hours seems too good to be true.

I’m not at all worried about my retailer treating me right. He said he doesn’t have one in stock or he’d just give me a new one. He also said if it turns out I’ll be without my TV for any length of time he’ll give me a loaner. He’s a great guy that I’ve been dealing with for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 03:15 PM

Liked: 10
Good luck with Panasonic helping you! I had a new Panasonic TH-42PD50U to go bad 44 days after purchase from Best Buy. Today is exactly 8 weeks since it went bad, and Panasonic has neither repaired nor replaced the set. Best Buy warranty is not worth the paper it is written on....they only kick in AFTER the mfg. warranty expires. Good Luck! My set worked perfectly for 44 days, then....poof!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I suspect a big part of your problem is you made your original purchase at BB. I’ve spoken to Panasonic. They took my information and told me an authorized repair centre in my area would get back to me within the hour. Twenty minutes later the local repair shop called and said they would be at my house at 1:00 Monday afternoon to have a look at my TV Based on how I was describing the problem they weren’t sure what was wrong.

I mentioned to the representative I was talking to my retailer told me Panasonic now has a 48 hour guarantee (in Canada, I’m not sure about the USA) and he said that’s right.

That made me feel good!

Then I got to feeling even better when,

My salesperson (at a privately owned electronics store) has also agreed to take my TH-42PX50U back and upgrade me to the TH-50PX60U for a very reasonable additional charge.

No this little break gave me all the WAF I needed to get into a 9th gen 50 inch plasma!

I hope things work out for both of us.

So what actually went wrong with your plasma? Is it doing the same thing mine is? Did you get an extended warranty? Have you actually bypassed BB and gone straight to Panasonic?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWAHOO
Good luck with Panasonic helping you! I had a new Panasonic TH-42PD50U to go bad 44 days after purchase from Best Buy. Today is exactly 8 weeks since it went bad, and Panasonic has neither repaired nor replaced the set. Best Buy warranty is not worth the paper it is written on....they only kick in AFTER the mfg. warranty expires. Good Luck! My set worked perfectly for 44 days, then....poof!
OMG!

I read through your posts to get a better idea of what’s wrong with your plasma. I couldn’t believe it when I read you bought your display on December 14th. That’s the same day I bought my TV.

Now the technician is just getting to my house on Monday. I didn’t even consider some of the parts I may need being on back order. That could turn this into a nightmare for me also.

The one thing I have working in my favor is the 50PX60U is still at least 6 weeks away from getting here. I’m going to get a 32 inch crt as a loaner until the new TV comes in.

I basically have 6 to 8 weeks to kill anyway. Waiting for parts or a new display won’t be as hard on me as I’m sure it’s been on you.

Again, best of luck!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
reading stuff like this makes me glad i purchased mine ay Cost#o.....

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Old 04-01-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
You got that right, i'm hoping mine will puke so i can another new one!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Reading stuff like this makes me glad I have a 5th generation panasonic. Almost never any problems with the older stuff. OP- You have handled the situation very well from all perspectives it seems.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

I spoke to my retailer this morning and told him Panasonic’s been in touch with a local repair shop and that they be at my house Monday at 1:00. He knows the company that’s coming out to fix my TV and he said they’re good. I mentioned I read on line that some people were waiting 6 to 8 weeks for parts that are on back order.

He said that’s the point of this new policy. There is no more waiting 6 to 8 weeks for parts. They either fix your Display in 48 hours or a new display is shipped.

No exceptions!

So we’ll see, I’ll keep the boards up to date as to what happened next.

BTW I’m even more excited now because my retailer said assuming they repair or replace my display as per Panasonics policy he’s going just get me to keep my display (no 32 inch crt TV for the NHL playoffs) until the new 50 inch displays come in.

That would be sweet!

I don’t know, I plan on staying grounded until this actually happens. Being told I’ll get a new display if my display isn’t fixed by next Tuesday and actually getting a new display shipped out are two different things!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I got very lucky! My TV’s been fixed. The problem with my display was a lose connector on one of the boards. It wasn’t snapped into place as it should have been.

BINGO!

It’s working 100%, thank goodness. :D

I really have to say I was impressed with Panasonic. I was to meet the technician at 1:00 this afternoon. When I got home at 12:00 there was a message on my machine from Panasonic just wanting an update and to confirm that I had in fact been contacted by my local authorized repair center. That really impressed me and I thanked Scott at Panasonic Canada for his immediate attention.

I know I got off lucky but I have to believe Panasonic would have sent me a new display as promised within the 48-hour time limit. I’m happy to be able to say, I can’t say they'd of sent me a new display for sure as my TV was fixed.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ohdee~
Well I got very lucky! My TV’s been fixed. The problem with my display was a lose connector on one of the boards. It wasn’t snapped into place as it should have been.

BINGO!

It’s working 100%, thank goodness. :D

I really have to say I was impressed with Panasonic. I was to meet the technician at 1:00 this afternoon. When I got home at 12:00 there was a message on my machine from Panasonic just wanting an update and to confirm that I had in fact been contacted by my local authorized repair center. That really impressed me and I thanked Scott at Panasonic Canada for his immediate attention.

I know I got off lucky but I have to believe Panasonic would have sent me a new display as promised within the 48-hour time limit. I’m happy to be able to say, I can’t say they'd of sent me a new display for sure as my TV was fixed.
---------------

Our office uses several commercial Panny displays. We use them for trade-shows as well. One went bad just before a major show, Panny shipped us a new set at the convention center as a loaner while they repaired the broken set. I thought Panny consumer support was lacking, but I may be wrong....
Old 04-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the Costco warranty?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFAN
What exactly is the Costco warranty?
Something like 100% satisfaction guarantee. If it breaks down in the warranty period or after (doesn't matter) bring it back to them and they'll let you return the item. I think it even applies if you get the TV and say that you don't like it, they'll just take it back.

What I don't remember if you could get a refund or just full price for another display. Eithier way that was all I needed to hear to purchase mine there. It's being delivered this Friday, nice new 50" Panny commercial display.

Now if I could find a retailer in the US for that damn HDMI board I would be even happier.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojski
Something like 100% satisfaction guarantee. If it breaks down in the warranty period or after (doesn't matter) bring it back to them and they'll let you return the item. I think it even applies if you get the TV and say that you don't like it, they'll just take it back.

What I don't remember if you could get a refund or just full price for another display. Eithier way that was all I needed to hear to purchase mine there. It's being delivered this Friday, nice new 50" Panny commercial display.

Now if I could find a retailer in the US for that damn HDMI board I would be even happier.
thanks for clearing that up...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The only problem with the Costco warranty is if you really like the TV and it goes bad you may not be able to get another similar model from them because they don't carry brands consistently. So if you want to replace the 50" Panasonic you got from Costco that went bad you may only have a choice of another brand from Costco or getting another Panasonic from elsewhere. If Costco would guarantee to replace say a Panasonic plasma with another Panasonic plasma that would be great. But from what I understand of them that is not the case. Same with Sam's Club, where I bought my Panasonic ED model about 18 months ago. Sam's does not currently have any Panasonic plasmas. I suspected that would be the case, which is one reason I bought the Sam's Club extended warranty, which was really pretty cheap.

"The truth is out there!"