post #3991 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Right... and everyone's running towards s800 then? It's a year old post...Have you got yours yet?

While Samsung mobile division been making tonnes of $ from AMOLED Galaxy S, I hardly hear Lenovo talk about PMOLED. I'll remind them the next time I talk to them.

*sigh*

By your measure E-Ink as a Display tech must be a mega success.

Amazon has killed the printed book with it?

If you don't think that's a "mega success", you have very skewed ideals.

buytme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

^^ Microscoped and proved pentile. It is as good as a pentile can be but illustrating OLED has still manufacturing/cost issues since Samsung was not able to put RGB.

Considering it has 2.4X resolution over the S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Amazon has killed the printed book with it?

If you don't think that's a "mega success", you have very skewed ideals.

So skewed that the Taiwanese company that makes E-Ink is bleeding, and that the hottest selling Kindle is now an LCD? E-Ink never even made it beyond the eReader space, just as PMOLED hardly beyond the top of the clamshell.

"1Q12 loss per share of NT$0.7: In our note Losing pricing power, published on 23 Feb, we had expressed concern about E Ink's profitability in 1Q12 due to weak e-reader shipments driven by serious inventory issues from major brand vendors. E Ink reported a 1Q12 net loss of NT$788m, or LPS of NT$0.7, worse than our recently highlighted potential worst-case LPS of ~NT$0.3 and consensus EPS of NT$0.1. Negative gross margin on e-readers on back of low utilization rate dragged E Ink's 1Q GM down to 0.8%, significantly lower than 28.5% in 4Q11 and much worse than our or Street estimates of 20-25%."- Macquarie 27 Apr

I happen to know Pime View aka E-Ink very well and had stated on record that Kindle is a great reader. That doesn't make it a success over time. Consumers want multimedia rather than less eyesore and more battery life. OTOH PMOLED was lacking in power consumption and motion. You really need to know your history in context before posting, instead of pick and choose articles in the internet. I doubt E Ink will exist as much as PMOLED exist in 3 years time, if not less. Both were interesting while it lasted, albeit shortly. They were much more successful than products that never even came out of the lab, if you put in that perspective
post #3993 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Actually, the article says "sizes larger than 32 inches". I would pay $2000 for a 40" OLED.

I wanna go back to Mikazaru's comment here. $2 grand for a 40" OLED? Really? Why? Not attacking you - I'm just curious.

Quote:

OK, so I'll buy that there's a small -- real -- market for $2000, 40" OLEDs. I doubt the market is real at $3000, but I'm with you if they make it work for $2000. Maybe their clever plan is to carve out that niche first. Not necessarily sustainable as an advantage, but a good way to drive production and work down the learning curve.

I'm guessing the market will be rough at even $1 grand for a 40 incher once thngs settle down.
post #3994 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

^^ Microscoped and proved pentile. It is as good as a pentile can be but illustrating OLED has still manufacturing/cost issues since Samsung was not able to put RGB.

It shows that they have yet to master LITI which has nothing to do with manufacturing televisions.
post #3995 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

OT

Quote:

I happen to know Pime View aka E-Ink very well and had state on record that Kindle is a great reader. That doesn't make it a success over time. Consumers want multimedia rather than less eyesore and more battery life.

What are your thoughts on Mirasol? It allows for multimedia, but with a lower display quality. OTOH, it has outdoor viewability and the battery life of e-ink displays. It seems like a better solution than e-ink, but I am not sure if consumers will transition entirely to LCD/OLED based devices.
post #3996 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 73
post #3997 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

OT

What are your thoughts on Mirasol? It allows for multimedia, but with a lower display quality. OTOH, it has outdoor viewability and the battery life of e-ink displays. It seems like a better solution than e-ink, but I am not sure if consumers will transition entirely to LCD/OLED based devices.

Mirasol is a far, far cry indoors from eInk right now. I hope it gets better and becomes more successful, but so far, it's not good enough to make a great e-reader and not good enough to make any kind of decent tablet.

It's between both worlds, good at neither.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #3998 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

Chinese 10G LCD plant will make OLED breakthrough even harder.

"Glass substrates at the 10G line can be cut into eight units of 60-inch TV panels"

Is that eight 60" sets or four 120" sets
post #3999 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Pime View making bad decissions on factory capacity has zero to do with e-ink device sales.

Quote:

Considering it has 2.4X resolution over the S2

So skewed that the Taiwanese company that makes E-Ink is bleeding, and that the hottest selling Kindle is now an LCD? E-Ink never even made it beyond the eReader space, just as PMOLED hardly beyond the top of the clamshell.

"1Q12 loss per share of NT$0.7: In our note Losing pricing power, published on 23 Feb, we had expressed concern about E Ink's profitability in 1Q12 due to weak e-reader shipments driven by serious inventory issues from major brand vendors. E Ink reported a 1Q12 net loss of NT$788m, or LPS of NT$0.7, worse than our recently highlighted potential worst-case LPS of ~NT$0.3 and consensus EPS of NT$0.1. Negative gross margin on e-readers on back of low utilization rate dragged E Ink's 1Q GM down to 0.8%, significantly lower than 28.5% in 4Q11 and much worse than our or Street estimates of 20-25%."- Macquarie 27 Apr

I happen to know Pime View aka E-Ink very well and had stated on record that Kindle is a great reader. That doesn't make it a success over time. Consumers want multimedia rather than less eyesore and more battery life. OTOH PMOLED was lacking in power consumption and motion. You really need to know your history in context before posting, instead of pick and choose articles in the internet. I doubt E Ink will exist as much as PMOLED exist in 3 years time, if not less. Both were interesting while it lasted, albeit shortly. They were much more successful than products that never even came out of the lab, if you put in that perspective

buytme
post #4000 of 11544 Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

"The 10G line will focus on the production of large- and ultra large-size LCD panels for local brand TV vendors in China"

OLED is for everywhere but China. This has near zero effect on the rest of the world.

Quote:

buytme
post #4001 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Mirasol is a far, far cry indoors from eInk right now. I hope it gets better and becomes more successful, but so far, it's not good enough to make a great e-reader and not good enough to make any kind of decent tablet.

It's between both worlds, good at neither.

Do you really think that the reading experience is that much worse than e-ink? The resolution is better than the e-ink solutions, but I have read that the background color is more silver than white. With color images, the saturation of Mirasol seems quite a bit better than the color version of e-ink. The big question I have had has generally been about the premium for Mirasol over e-ink. I think people will pay some premium for color, but it isnt going to be big.
post #4002 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

post it on the LCD forum where it belongs. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread: OLED Technology.
post #4003 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The 10G line will focus on the production of large- and ultra large-size LCD panels for local brand TV vendors in China"

OLED is for everywhere but China. This has near zero effect on the rest of the world.

Heh, fact that the chinese decided for 10G means that:

- LCD manufacturing will be ruled by China

- Costs of large screen LCDs will be significantly reduced

- OLED will have much harder time to break in, it looks unlikely
now OLED becomes replacement of LCD TV

You can see similar effect now in small displays. OLED has not made it in small displays, it is limited to some high-end models but not expanding its presence or moving down the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

post it on the LCD forum where it belongs. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread: OLED Technology.

This is narrow&shallow point of view. Chinese anouncing 10G is extremely important for the future of OLED TV. This is due to the fact that OLED must be competitive in the segment of large displays to survive but this looks problematic now.
post #4004 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

Do you really think that the reading experience is that much worse than e-ink? The resolution is better than the e-ink solutions, but I have read that the background color is more silver than white. With color images, the saturation of Mirasol seems quite a bit better than the color version of e-ink. The big question I have had has generally been about the premium for Mirasol over e-ink. I think people will pay some premium for color, but it isnt going to be big.

So I haven't experienced color e-Ink and therefore I can't comment on that.

For straight up reader apps where color doesn't matter, it's just very, very hard to beat the e-Ink monochrome solution and in the time I got to spend with Mirasol, I didn't think it came close. Primarily, because the contrast of the words on page didn't seem to be in the league of the e-Ink (someone had a Kindle so we could compare).

My sense is a Mirasol that's 10x better than what you could buy now might make a good Nook tablet-type display (or Kindle Fire) for a really cheap tablet/e-reader hybrid. In the meantime, I guess I wonder what market it's targeting. It's not good enough indoors for any of them it seems. And optimizing around outdoors doesn't seem very important.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #4005 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

I wanna go back to Mikazaru's comment here. $2 grand for a 40" OLED? Really? Why? Not attacking you - I'm just curious.

I'm guessing the market will be rough at even $1 grand for a 40 incher once thngs settle down.

I'm a bit of tech nut (as are most AVSers) and hardly representative of the average consumer. I paid the same for my 34" xbr960N 7 years ago and drove from Canada down to the US to get it because it wasn't available up here (10 hr round trip). I'm also a gamer and think a 40" OLED would be ideal for gaming (it's fantastic on the Vita). I've been coveting OLED for a while now and have grown accustomed to sitting fairly close to the screen while playing games, so size isn't a big issue. Everything's relative -- I spent almost half that amount on the new iPad and would probably use the TV a lot more (40" OLED + PS4/NextBox = gaming heaven).

I understand where you're coming from... most people place more importance on relative value than aesthetics/small increases in performance. I admit I'm a bit surprised that you find $2000 excessive for a 40" OLED -- I was of the mindset that it's wishful thinking on my part. In the end though, everyone has their own criteria for their purchase decisions (compact sealed subwoofer vs large ported subwoofer, or receiver vs separates etc.).
post #4006 of 11544 Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Chinese anouncing 10G is extremely important for the future of OLED TV. This is due to the fact that OLED must be competitive in the segment of large displays to survive but this looks problematic now.

"Problematic" was pre 2010. "Possible" was 2010 to Jan 2012. "Likely" is post Jan 2012.
post #4007 of 11544 Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Blues In Thirds

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I'm a bit of tech nut and hardly representative of the average consumer. I paid the same for my 34" xbr960N 7 years ago and drove from Canada down to the US to get it because it wasn't available up here (10 hr round trip). I'm also a gamer and think a 40" OLED would be ideal for gaming (it's fantastic on the Vita). I've been coveting OLED for a while now and have grown accustomed to sitting fairly close to the screen while playing games, so size isn't a big issue. Everything's relative -- I spent almost half that amount on the new iPad and would probably use the TV a lot more (40" OLED + PS4/NextBox = gaming heaven).

I understand where you're coming from... most people place more importance on relative value than aesthetics/small increases in performance. In the end though, everyone has their own criteria for their purchase decisions (compact sealed subwoofer vs large ported subwoofer, or receiver vs separates etc.).

While you explained that pretty well - my thought is that there probably aren't too many of you out there - and that the OLED folks [whomever they prove to be] will find that out if they keep the price that high for too long. So my question would be - would you still buy a 40 incher for $2 grand if you knew that the same TV was going to be available in 6 months to a year for $1 grand - or less? Your answer is probably yes - but I'm guessing that most folks would answer no.
post #4008 of 11544 Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Chinese anouncing 10G is extremely important for the future of OLED TV. This is due to the fact that OLED must be competitive in the segment of large displays to survive but this looks problematic now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunidrem View Post

"Problematic" was pre 2010. "Possible" was 2010 to Jan 2012. "Likely" is post Jan 2012.

So what that OLED TVs were shown in Jan 2012? OLED came to the small displays a while ago and where it is now? Chinese 10G is a tsunami for the display world. It means large panel prices will go down by another 30% or so. The only factor for OLED is that having the knife on their throats Samsung and LG will be madly trying to push OLED to survive in the display area. This will be risky game requiring huge subsidies for OLED to stay in.
post #4009 of 11544 Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Bottom line is OLED is the future of displays no matter what is said on this thread

Matt
post #4010 of 11544 Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Bottom line is OLED is the future of displays no matter what is said on this thread

It could be the future of displays, if they get yields up and costs down. Which they have been trying to do without success for many years now. Hopefully, LG and Samsung have figured it out were Sony and others have failed. If a few years from now they are still only able to produce a limited number at 4 times the cost of same size LCD set, it may remain a high end niche product. LCD is not going to be standing still, LCD technology is making advances as well. Such as IGZO, 4K resolution and glare free glass. If given the choice today between a $8000 55" OLED and a 70" or 80" IGZO, 4K glare free LCD for half the price, I would guess most the regular public would take the LCD.
post #4011 of 11544 Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

It could be the future of displays, if they get yields up and costs down. Which they have been trying to do without success for many years now. Hopefully, LG and Samsung have figured it out were Sony and others have failed. If a few years from now they are still only able to produce a limited number at 4 times the cost of same size LCD set, it may remain a high end niche product. LCD is not going to be standing still, LCD technology is making advances as well. Such as IGZO, 4K resolution and glare free glass. If given the choice today between a $8000 55" OLED and a 70" or 80" IGZO, 4K glare free LCD for half the price, I would guess most the regular public would take the LCD.

10/10. Some people say here OLED is the future no matter what. Apparently they still have not heard this: It is economy, stupid. Given the pace of advance in the LCD, the future of OLED is at best a long and winding stony road uphill.
post #4012 of 11544 Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Stupid is a bit harsh.Im talking about the future which could be five years from now.New technology will move things forward no matter what the economic state is when they first show up.When i bought my first pioneer plasma in 2003 for 4 grand people thought i was nuts but everyone wanted to see it.Nothing existed like it before and flat screens in a big box tv had just started to show up with the Sony Wega models.Look what happen.

Matt
post #4013 of 11544 Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pime View making bad decissions on factory capacity has zero to do with e-ink device sales.

By this logic SMD which accounted for >90% of OLED panels produced has nothing to do with OLED device sale or development either.

You are trying to be a devil's advocate but it still has to make sense.

Quote:

Sorry I'm not familiar with this tech. Not heard much about it. What is interesting is that both Mirasol and E-Ink are US tech

Quote:

Heh, fact that the chinese decided for 10G means that:

- LCD manufacturing will be ruled by China

- Costs of large screen LCDs will be significantly reduced

- OLED will have much harder time to break in, it looks unlikely
now OLED becomes replacement of LCD TV

You can see similar effect now in small displays. OLED has not made it in small displays, it is limited to some high-end models but not expanding its presence or moving down the ladder.

I can assure people that what you say is irrelevant because :
1) OLED is unlikely to be in huge sizes (or even 4k) in the next 3 years... so you can use 4k as a strawman for OLED's demise the next 3 years as well
2) Obviously you are not aware that when we say "small" in the industry we mean phones & CE, and medium size we mean anything smaller than 10" (Notice how iPad and netbooks are <10"?) I assume your "small" means desktops. When OLED mobile devices are mature, you can be sure desktops will be the next new frontier.
3) There is a reason why manufacturers sell 55" at $8000 rather than 32" at $4000. Please don't consistently assume top people who put billions into capex and nurturing an entire supply chain are idiots. Try to figure out what they are thinking would be a better approach. You can fool some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time. But these management has to compete with cut throat industry, competing emerging or improving technologies, billion $ bets that will only start production 2-3 years down the road when the industry dynamics could be totally changed. When they make a call, they don't make it lightly... it's their "baby" for quite some time, unlike forum posters that can conveniently disappear.
post #4014 of 11544 Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

10/10. Some people say here OLED is the future no matter what. Apparently they still have not heard this: It is economy, stupid. Given the pace of advance in the LCD, the future of OLED is at best a long and winding stony road uphill.

What advance? Are you referring to picture quality? Fundamentally it seems like it's stuck and has nowhere to go. We need emissive tech. (Beautiful new iPad screen and the Elite notwithstanding...)
post #4015 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Hiller View Post

What advance? Are you referring to picture quality? Fundamentally it seems like it's stuck and has nowhere to go. We need emissive tech. (Beautiful new iPad screen and the Elite notwithstanding...)

The Sharp Elite is not the end all, be all either.
post #4016 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You forgot, that the two biggest panel maker, LG and Samsung switching in the next years from LCD to OLED. It´s the same story like from CCFL to LED. The future for OLED-TV´s is much brighter than for LCD-TV´s. LG claimed they can make now, if they wanted, 47-80" and 4K-OLED-TV´s!

Quote:

With our technology, screen sizes from 47-inches to 80-inches are currently possible, and we're just getting started. The stability of the technology also means that our screen will support Ultra Definition, which is 4 times higher than Full HD!

http://whylgtv.lge.com/archives/4399
post #4017 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can assure people that what you say is irrelevant because :
1) OLED is unlikely to be in huge sizes (or even 4k) in the next 3 years... so you can use 4k as a strawman for OLED's demise the next 3 years as well
There is a reason why manufacturers sell 55" at $8000 rather than 32" at $4000. Please don't consistently assume top people who put billions into capex and nurturing an entire supply chain are idiots.

Your thinking is contradictory: Indeed it is unlikely there will be huge (and 4K) OLEDs in the next 3 ys. On the other hand, manufs must bring to the market in the beginning biggest OLEDs in the main line (=55") in order to establish shining presence and attract hig-end buyers. But here is the problem: with the current and coming big size LCDs, OLED is not so shiny anymore. High-end buyers will be distracted by the relative smallness of OLED sets even if the PQ is brilliant. There is similar effect at the very high-end of LCD: people having choice between the Sharp Elite 60-70" Übersets and the plain simple 80" often select the 80" since its PQ is good enough, price is way lower, and size is so much more impressive. While such considerations do not imply OLED demise, they mean OLED will be hard pressed from every side by the LCD and result of this far is from the mantra "OLED will prevail no matter what".

Quote:

2) Obviously you are not aware that when we say "small" in the industry we mean phones & CE, and medium size we mean anything smaller than 10" (Notice how iPad and netbooks are <10"?) I assume your "small" means desktops. When OLED mobile devices are mature, you can be sure desktops will be the next new frontier.

In fact my small excludes desktops. But this does not matter: OLED devices are gestating ever longer. At present it looks unlikely they can make big inroads even in the smartphone segment - what is available is mainly due to Samsung which most likely heavily subsidizes it. OLED tablets, laptops and desktops are fantasy talk. Facing this and knowing the TV market is even more competitive, the future of OLED looks bleak. BTW, a nice illustration of the current status of LCD vs. OLED are comparisons between the displays of fresh smartphones: HTC One X LCD and Samsung Galaxy III OLED. Both are said to be fantastic to the point the display technology does not play role in the selection, and this means OLED has lost its definitive PQ advantage.

Quote:

Yeah, we need technology for technology's sake . Now such 'we' is limited to nerds and junkies, consumers vote with money buying things which are good-enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Stupid is a bit harsh.Im talking about the future which could be five years from now.New technology will move things forward no matter what the economic state is when they first show up.When i bought my first pioneer plasma in 2003 for 4 grand people thought i was nuts but everyone wanted to see it.Nothing existed like it before and flat screens in a big box tv had just started to show up with the Sony Wega models.Look what happen.

Flat displays were a huge step up. By comparison, the step from the LCD to OLED is small at best in the present circumstances., maybe even nonexisting taking the advancements in the LCD. I mean this in the above sense, e.g. OLED PQ is bit better but size not so attractive to justify the expense. BTW, there is every reason to believe that in 5ys time LCD tech will be much improved.
post #4018 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your thinking is contradictory: Indeed it is unlikely there will be huge (and 4K) OLEDs in the next 3 ys. On the other hand, manufs must bring to the market in the beginning biggest OLEDs in the main line (=55") in order to establish shining presence and attract hig-end buyers. But here is the problem: with the current and coming big size LCDs, OLED is not so shiny anymore. High-end buyers will be distracted by the relative smallness of OLED sets even if the PQ is brilliant. There is similar effect at the very high-end of LCD: people having choice between the Sharp Elite 60-70" Übersets and the plain simple 80" often select the 80" since its PQ is good enough, price is way lower, and size is so much more impressive. While such considerations do not imply OLED demise, they mean OLED will be hard pressed from every side by the LCD and result of this far is from the mantra "OLED will prevail no matter what".

Videophiles like big sets, but big sets are not necessarily videophile. I doubt I'll see any of Sharp's non-Elite huge sets at the VE shootout. If it is "good-enough" then let's don't talk about the videophile market. I happen to think that the 55" OLED should be aimed at this market, for now.

Put it this way: What size and what price does a FIRST generation OLED TV should be launched in your wisdom? Since any other size-price tradeoff will certainly invite your criticism. I think 55" was chosen as 8G optimal and sufficiently larger than the 42" global average.

Quote:

In fact my small excludes desktops. But this does not matter: OLED devices are gestating ever longer. At present it looks unlikely they can make big inroads even in the smartphone segment - what is available is mainly due to Samsung which most likely heavily subsidizes it.

Please substantiate your claim cause financial numbers does not supoport your claim

Quote:

BTW, a nice illustration of the current status of LCD vs. OLED are comparisons between the displays of fresh smartphones: HTC One X LCD and Samsung Galaxy III OLED. Both are said to be fantastic to the point the display technology does not play role in the selection, and this means OLED has lost its definitive PQ advantage.

Right... that sounds like what LG Mobile said 24 months ago on mobile OLED is useless. You may want to check out HTC sales and Galaxy sales in 6 months. Past 12 months seems like a trend.

Quote:

Flat displays were a huge step up. By comparison, the step from the LCD to OLED is small at best in the present circumstances., maybe even nonexisting taking the advancements in the LCD. I mean this in the above sense, e.g. OLED PQ is bit better but size not so attractive to justify the expense. BTW, there is every reason to believe that in 5ys time LCD tech will be much improved.

You have no idea LCD TV improvement has more or less maxed out in Elites, as rogo been saying, and Hiller pointed out. By saying this you certainly have no idea how LCD structure limits the tech. You are just assuming that it will just get better into perpetuity. In pushing for micro local dimming you would eventually end up with emmissive technology like Crystal LED, though I am skeptical that is happening soon. In this world, LCD which essentially is a window blind, is redundant.

Quote:

post #4019 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like we will get details on the official Samsung OLED television this week. Translations of Korean newspapers have said it will be on the 10th. Production is expected to start up ahead of the Olympic games (presumably in tiny numbers) with full production in the 4th quarter.

http://news.mk.co.kr/english/newsRea...2012&no=282282

The race is on.
post #4020 of 11544 Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

It looks like we will get details on the official Samsung OLED television this week. Translations of Korean newspapers have said it will be on the 10th. Production is expected to start up ahead of the Olympic games (presumably in tiny numbers) with full production in the 4th quarter.

http://news.mk.co.kr/english/newsRea...2012&no=282282

The race is on.

nice scoop slacker711. thanks for sharing.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page