post #991 of 11415 Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post

Different word for the same thing. OEL = Organic ElectroLuminescent

Oh I see. They are the same then (OLED = OEL).

Well if that case, if Panasonic can get their 40 inch OEL/OLED TV by year 2010 (or even after year 2010; I'm a patient guy hehe), then that would be awesome.

40 inch TV that only consumes 40 watts. ONE WATT PER INCH

I like that very much haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 11415 Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony: OLED is 'the next display technology'
8 May 2009

Company still committed to next-gen screen tech

Sony is still completely committed to producing OLED screens, according to the company.

In a statement released to TechRadar, Sony mentioned it is to "steadily cultivate" its investment into OLED as it sees it as being "the next display technology".

Sony wanted to cement its stance on OLED, after an interview with us last month muddied the waters of what the company was doing with the technology.

OLED shows the best promise

Although Sony mentioned at a recent 2009 TV line-up showcase that its focus was on "big-screen technology" like LCD, it seems that OLED is still very much part of its TV business plans.

"The OLED TV market will not surpass the LCD TV market within the next few years," the statement explained.

"Rather, we think it is necessary to steadily cultivate OLED so that we can deliver new lifestyle ideas and applications that make full use of OLED technology.

"BRAVIA LCD TVs will continue to be the core part of our TV business, while OLED shows the best promise as the next display technology. Our plans for OLED are still unchanged as of now."

Bigger OLED?

And to prove Sony is true to its word, there's been much rumour and speculation that the company is to unveil a bigger OLED screen at this year's IFA trade show in Berlin.

So far Sony is the first and only manufacturer to release an OLED TV – the 11-inch XEL-1.

The Korean Times, however, has noted that its potential successor, the XEL-2, will be above 21-inches in size. If this is true, then it will be interesting to see what sort of price point the company will go for, as the XEL-1 is retailing for a whopping £3,500
post #993 of 11415 Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

Oh I see. They are the same then (OLED = OEL).

Well if that case, if Panasonic can get their 40 inch OEL/OLED TV by year 2010 (or even after year 2010; I'm a patient guy hehe), then that would be awesome.

40 inch TV that only consumes 40 watts. ONE WATT PER INCH

I like that very much haha

But does it have clouding or flashlighting? :P

Seriously though, when OLED arrives, I think we will hit a wall as far as TV tech goes. It will be the end all and be all of TV tech. After that, we will be going into holographic/3D TVs of some sort. Once they get OLEDs to have a lifespan that is equivalent to today's LED LCDs, then there is really nothing better than that. Contrast ratios and colors will be the best possible and will be aesthetically pleasing as well due to their thin size.
post #994 of 11415 Old 05-16-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs View Post

But does it have clouding or flashlighting? :P

Seriously though, when OLED arrives, I think we will hit a wall as far as TV tech goes. It will be the end all and be all of TV tech. After that, we will be going into holographic/3D TVs of some sort. Once they get OLEDs to have a lifespan that is equivalent to today's LED LCDs, then there is really nothing better than that. Contrast ratios and colors will be the best possible and will be aesthetically pleasing as well due to their thin size.

Well, after OLED begins to trickle in, researchers are already thinking long-term and state that the next big thing after OLED will be..............ILED.

Inorganic Light Emitting Diode (or something like that). They claim it can exceed OLED lolz. So if you think OLED is perfect, then ILED is..........beyond perfect hahaha

Coming not earlier than year 2020 mwahahahaha.
post #995 of 11415 Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

They claim it can exceed OLED

"They claim": Love to see an article or source somewhere about that and ILED.
post #996 of 11415 Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

OLED microdisplay with superhigh resolution

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1240467762

"Offering better comfort to users of point-and-shoot digital cameras, and new designs for video glasses with the highest resolution ever, Microoled and the CEA-Leti have targeted these and many other potential applications with the announcement of the yet most efficient silicon-based OLED microdisplay out there."

that's so cool. even though it's very small i can see that the image is very crisp and detailed.. i hope they will be releasing it soon and i hope that video glasses like these would use the similar technology.. but ofcourse and a much cheaper price
post #997 of 11415 Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbee View Post

"They claim": Love to see an article or source somewhere about that and ILED.

Well that's what they said.........but it will only happen years after OLED starts kicking in.

With regards to the ILED stuff, well......you can ask Isochroma about it hehe
post #998 of 11415 Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Seriously though, when OLED arrives, I think we will hit a wall as far as TV tech goes. It will be the end all and be all of TV tech.

I believe you've made numerous posts that the fear of burn in is enough to scare you away from plasma. OLED has the same "issue". In fact it's a lot worse at the present due to OLED's shorter half-brightness life - Sony claims 30k hours (independant test estimated 17k) vs. 100k for plasma. Back to the drawing board

jeff
post #999 of 11415 Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

I believe you've made numerous posts that the fear of burn in is enough to scare you away from plasma. OLED has the same "issue". In fact it's a lot worse at the present due to OLED's shorter half-brightness life - Sony claims 30k hours (independant test estimated 17k) vs. 100k for plasma. Back to the drawing board

jeff

True

While current-gen OLED possess superb characteristics in terms of PQ and energy efficiency, it is not without major drawbacks (mainly on the uber-low lifespan of Blue materials)

The key here is to continue with R&D in order to improve on its superb characteristics and reduce its drawbacks.
post #1000 of 11415 Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

Well, after OLED begins to trickle in, researchers are already thinking long-term and state that the next big thing after OLED will be..............ILED.

Inorganic Light Emitting Diode (or something like that). They claim it can exceed OLED lolz. So if you think OLED is perfect, then ILED is..........beyond perfect hahaha

Coming not earlier than year 2020 mwahahahaha.

Well, isn't LCD inorganic as it is now? So if I'm assuming ILEDs are essentially man-made chemicals that can light up when a current is passed through them? Well, that's the first time I've heard of it. What are the advantages over OLED?
post #1001 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM

i liked his font it was easy on the eyes to read.
post #1002 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 02:08 AM

What people should notice is that the unever aging issue may be an issue for several people out there but I can't imagine being a problem for me.

100.000h for plasma and "only" 30.000 for OLED? Are we crazy? At my current peak rate of 2h of TV usage every day, it would took 137 years for plasma and 41 years for oled to reach half brightness. Let's put an EXTREME case on the table. Let's say 6h every day. In this case it would take 45 and 14 years respectively.

What's even better is than most people in this forum that complain about OLED's short lifespan are not holding their sets at home more than two or three years. I accept the short lifespan point for my mother, whose tvs last 20 years, but not for the supa-freaks here, always with cutting-edge technology in the living room.

Let's accept it, most of the people in this forum only care about tvs lifespan when they need something to complain about.
post #1003 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

What people should notice is that the unever aging issue may be an issue for several people out there but I can't imagine being a problem for me.

100.000h for plasma and "only" 30.000 for OLED? Are we crazy? At my current peak rate of 2h of TV usage every day, it would took 137 years for plasma and 41 years for oled to reach half brightness. Let's put an EXTREME case on the table. Let's say 6h every day. In this case it would take 45 and 14 years respectively.

What's even better is than most people in this forum that complain about OLED's short lifespan are not holding their sets at home more than two or three years. I accept the short lifespan point for my mother, whose tvs last 20 years, but not for the supa-freaks here, always with cutting-edge technology in the living room.

Let's accept it, most of the people in this forum only care about tvs lifespan when they need something to complain about.

Yes I totally agree. I made a point about this in another thread discussing the difference between plasma and LED TV life. Basically, the plasma people were saying that 50000 for LEDs is shorter than the 100000 for plasma. I mean, 50K hrs is like 17yrs @ 8hrs/day viewing. That is way more than enough as like you said people don't even keep TVs that long on this site.
post #1004 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Yes I totally agree. I made a point about this in another thread discussing the difference between plasma and LED TV life. Basically, the plasma people were saying that 50000 for LEDs is shorter than the 100000 for plasma. I mean, 50K hrs is like 17yrs @ 8hrs/day viewing. That is way more than enough as like you said people don't even keep TVs that long on this site.

LED at 50000 hours will be brighter than Plasma at 0 hours, so those time to half brightness values can be quite misleading.
post #1005 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid View Post

LED at 50000 hours will be brighter than Plasma at 0 hours, so those time to half brightness values can be quite misleading.

Once properly adjusted and calibrated the difference is minimal as far as brightness goes. For the few that enjoy torch mode, retina burn will effect the picture more than half brightness will.
post #1006 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Once properly adjusted and calibrated the difference is minimal as far as brightness goes. For the few that enjoy torch mode, retina burn will effect the picture more than half brightness will.

Mwhahaha burning eyes of doom :P

In any case, people generally hunting for 100k hour lifespan (or more) are probably those who leave their TV on for 24 hours a day straight.

At that rate (24 hrs.x365 days), it will take 10-11 years to reach that mark........though that is just half-brightness (and doesn't mean that the TV will automatically become disfunctional).

Well, different strokes for different folks but for me (in my personal case), I don't think I've ever even reached a case where the TV was on for more than 8 hours at any given time.

So if OLED were at 24000 hours and I divide that at 8 hours a day, then the TV would last me for more than 8 years..........if I decided to buy an OLED now.

Just a theoretical example (though this obviously varies between individuals)
post #1007 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Once properly adjusted and calibrated the difference is minimal as far as brightness goes.

Both displays calibrated for bright room viewing:

Pioneer KURO new 20fTL, after 60k hours 10fTL. (Pioneer has 60k hours lifetime)
LED new 150fTL, after 60k hours 75fTL.

There's almost eightfold difference in brightness.
post #1008 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

It's apparently a d*ck comparison of some kind so don't take it too seriously.

I'd also be thankful if anyone could point me to some confirmation on the 100.000 hrs the plasma makers claim. I've only seen statements from the companies themselves and they are the ones wanting to sell us their products.

bye
Benny42

bye
Benny
post #1009 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Well, isn't LCD inorganic as it is now? So if I'm assuming ILEDs are essentially man-made chemicals that can light up when a current is passed through them?

It is counterintuitive thanks to the food and agricultural industries but the term 'organic' with regards to materials science usually means it is man-made. It is more likely that 'inorganic' materials are naturally occurring substances.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #1010 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

Knowing the operatioin mechanism of PDP or OLED makes the lifespan number usefull at predicting burn-in susceptibility. For those who complain about Plasma burn-in there is little chance of them embracing OLED as the next gen display IMO.
gus738 likes this.

post #1011 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are going to dismiss any and all lifetime numbers as irrelevant than you should also dismiss any discussions on burn-in as well. Which is reasonable IMO.

post #1012 of 11415 Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

It is counterintuitive thanks to the food and agricultural industries but the term 'organic' with regards to materials science usually means it is man-made. It is more likely that 'inorganic' materials are naturally occurring substances.

Actually "organic" just means that is is a compound containing carbon. That is it. It has nothing to do with "man-made" or "natural".

OLED is basically light emitting plastic that contains carbon chains. It doesn't mean that the TVs are grown on special trees or something.
post #1013 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:

If you are going to dismiss any and all lifetime numbers as irrelevant than you should also dismiss any discussions on burn-in as well. Which is reasonable IMO.

Sure. I don't consider the liftime numbers when I buy a TV, I know it's probable something else breaks before the panel gets too dim so I don't care, and we all should not care :-)

Discussions on burn-in should have finished long time ago since current plasmas does not suffer from burn-in at all.

For me the dealbreaker is the upscaling, the color accuracy, the motion handling and the phosphor trails. Everything else may be a pro or a con, but I can live with them all.

To sum up: The perfect TV doesn't exist, and certainly there are aspects much more decisive than the lifetime figures.
post #1014 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:

And it's funny how plasma people like to stress that blacks are more important than brightness/colors. I mean, seriously, I like good black levels, but if your TV is not vibrant with lively colors and brightness, it will suck. I don't recall ever seeing a movie that is one black frame to the next. So if your colors are dull, what's the point of the awesome black levels?
post #1015 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post

Actually "organic" just means that is is a compound containing carbon. That is it. It has nothing to do with "man-made" or "natural".

OLED is basically light emitting plastic that contains carbon chains. It doesn't mean that the TVs are grown on special trees or something.

Yes of course, I was mearly addressing the posters comment with regards to "man-made". And there is no arguing that the vast majority of organic compounds in materials science are in fact "man-made" even though marketing of the term "organic" tends to suggest it is natural.

And no, OLED does not have to be a plastic. SM OLED is not plastic? Do you think all organics are polymers?

post #1016 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

OLED does not have to be a plastic. SM OLED is not plastic? Do you think all organics are polymers?

If you have ever been in a fab that produces semiconductors or LCD panels it is hard to think of anything there as "Organic". I think the term itself has been co-opted by advertisers to mean green. If you go with the traditional meaning, gasoline is organic.
post #1017 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Inorganic Light Emitting Diode (or something like that).

We have them, they're called LED's, silicon based...invented by the russians in the late 50's.
post #1018 of 11415 Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:

. SM OLED is not plastic? Do you think all organics are polymers?

No.

Speaking of OLED devices an OLED screened portable game player was just released:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/14/g...able-for-real/
post #1019 of 11415 Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, that's about 27 years for my plasma. Guess I only have 24 more years to enjoy it.

Will you be using an spf of 40 or 50 with that 150ftl? Just make sure you don;t lose the Ray Bans

Bottom line is that very few if any will ever reach that stage and have replaced the set long before it ever becomes an issue. :-)
post #1020 of 11415 Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post

No.

Speaking of OLED devices an OLED screened portable game player was just released:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/14/g...able-for-real/

Oh no! I forgot to order the GP2X Wiz (2.8" QVGA OLED)!!! My first OLED display must be obtained! Time to see what all the old retro console games look like on an OLED!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page