OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #10711 of 10721 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Well, now a silly curved soundbar for the silly curved OLEDs.
http://www.avforums.com/news/samsung...ifa-2014.10632
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10721 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Well, now a silly curved soundbar for the silly curved OLEDs.
http://www.avforums.com/news/samsung...ifa-2014.10632
+ the silly curved HDTV antenna...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XD3uYlk...-Curve-30.html
post #10713 of 10721 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
You guys should all stop joking about this. Combine a curved TV with a curved Soundbar and a curved Antenna and we all might finally be able to stand down from code red and actually enjoy the content we are viewing: http://globalnews.ca/news/1380703/ne...ogy-impresses/

p.s. how exactly does one become a 'curve experience spokesperson'? :-)
post #10714 of 10721 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
http://globalnews.ca/news/1380703/ne...ogy-impresses/

p.s. how exactly does one become a 'curve experience spokesperson'? :-)
Yo, Dude married to Christina Hendricks, call your agent!
post #10715 of 10721 Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

At this point only LG is able to mass produce and even Samsung is left behind so it is rather premature y to talk about world in which everybody is stamping big OLEDs like pancakes. The question what will be after 4K OLED is not concerning me as I have set my final display target as even if the 8K comes this will not be my thing,. I am just looking from the point of view of current discussions of 2K vs. 4K, any discussion about benefits of 8K vs. 4K in a standard living room viewing conditions will surely be just waste of time. There is of course possibility for invention of earth-shattering super displays, real 3D, holography and so on. But I do not see it likely before my EOL, though that may look different for somebody with projected long time before EOL, like extending to the second half of the century. Just I think it is reasonable and logical to set the final target as 4K OLED of the size where benefits of the 4K should be visible and absolving oneself from any 8K fever.

I think OLED is here to stay. I've attended a meeting at Parchem http://www.parchem.com/about-us.aspx about OLED's future i.e. marketing where I had a first glimpse on how OLED will be marketed. There was a man from Merck who said that Merck are gonna sell 30,000 hours (low-end), 50,000h (mid-end) and 80,000 hours (not for mass-market) materials for printing by 2016 and by 2020 they expect to move to 50,000h for low-end, 100,000h mid-end over 500,000h for high-end (specialty materials aimed for military and medical grade lighting devices and displays which are not expected to be sold to civilians in the foreseeable future) plus they work on their "century" materials 1 million hours, however they have no plans to ever commercialize or mass-produce those. The main takeaway for me was, though, there is no upper limit to OLED's lifespan meaning there might even be a chance that current generations may get a chance to own one TV that lasts for life.

post #10716 of 10721 Old Today, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 107
OLED is "the perfect technology". I think manufacturers are somewhat afraid to introduce it, because it's essentially perfection.
  • very high brightness
  • very large colour gamut
  • infinite contrast ratio
  • energy efficient
  • can do 4K and 8K
  • can do both passive & active 3D
  • works from almost any viewing angle
  • long-life
  • curvable (...)
  • ultra-thin

The question is... where do you go from there? They've got to be careful not to create a product they can't compete with. Smart TV platforms were introduced, in part, to attempt to make TVs obsolete after every year. But not everyone wanted a Smart TV.

Sort of like we see Samsung introducing "quantum dot" LED TVs, it's just a marketing term to try and differentiate themselves, OLED manufacturers might be stuck in the same position, relying only on marketing rather than any substantial difference to sell next year's technology. The introduction of LED-backlit LCD TVs was a huge boon to the industry, making a lot more people jump ship from CRT. OLED will probably do the same thing to LED. Plasma TVs had a similar issue with being seen as "old technology", hence one of the reasons for their demise. (Even though it's arguable plasma display panels developed far more than LCD ever did.)

Remember how CRT was dominant for 60+ years? Yeah, they definitely DON'T want a repetition of that.

Last edited by tom669; Today at 08:33 AM.
post #10717 of 10721 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don't forget expensive.
post #10718 of 10721 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here's one to file under "what could they possibly think of next".

LG to release Swarovski-encrusted OLED TV in Europe.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/01/lgs-swarovski-oled/

Other links: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5750788.html
http://news.oled-display.net/lg-and-...emium-oled-tv/

Quote:
LG claims the 460-crystal pattern "turns a cutting-edge television into a work of art."

Last edited by Rich Peterson; Today at 09:31 AM.
post #10719 of 10721 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
OLED is "the perfect technology". I think manufacturers are somewhat afraid to introduce it, because it's essentially perfection.

Some more distance to travel before "perfection" (whatever that is) is reached. I'll put my responses in bold.
  • very high brightness: Part of the reason that the brightness is at the level it's at is that they're extending the persistence time. This hurts motion dramatically. It is not yet bright enough to pull off the very tight pulse-style motion mitigation that you can find with, say, Sony MotionFlow Impulse.
  • very large colour gamut: Unclear. This isn't specific to OLED
  • infinite contrast ratio: Yep
  • energy efficient: Yep
  • can do 4K and 8K: High PPI (as with phones), but "8K"? The first prototypes of 8K (and that's all they were) were LCD.
  • can do both passive & active 3D: Yep. Though LCD can, and the concept that only IPS could pull it off is long gone.
  • works from almost any viewing angle: Yep.
  • long-life: Keep in mind that we actually need to have these displays in the hands of consumers for long periods in order to know that for sure. But it does seem that the lifetime is good.
  • curvable (...): Religious war bait. (lol)
  • ultra-thin: The thinness wars are over (thank goodness). LCDs are thin enough.
[/QUOTE]

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #10720 of 10721 Old Today, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Some more distance to travel before "perfection" (whatever that is) is reached. I'll put my responses in bold.
  • very high brightness: Part of the reason that the brightness is at the level it's at is that they're extending the persistence time. This hurts motion dramatically. It is not yet bright enough to pull off the very tight pulse-style motion mitigation that you can find with, say, Sony MotionFlow Impulse.
  • very large colour gamut: Unclear. This isn't specific to OLED
  • infinite contrast ratio: Yep
  • energy efficient: Yep
  • can do 4K and 8K: High PPI (as with phones), but "8K"? The first prototypes of 8K (and that's all they were) were LCD.
  • can do both passive & active 3D: Yep. Though LCD can, and the concept that only IPS could pull it off is long gone.
  • works from almost any viewing angle: Yep.
  • long-life: Keep in mind that we actually need to have these displays in the hands of consumers for long periods in order to know that for sure. But it does seem that the lifetime is good.
  • curvable (...): Religious war bait. (lol)
  • ultra-thin: The thinness wars are over (thank goodness). LCDs are thin enough.
[/QUOTE]

And just to round out this very good post, on the negative side we potentially have:

-yellow-push / white-balance non-uniformity (and potential panel lottery)
-image-retention (potentially more finicky 'care-and-feeding' requirements than LED/LCD)
-color inaccuracy / difficulty to calibrate accurately
-near-dark greyscale non-uniformity and/or black-crush
-stuck-off sub-pixels and sub-pixel degradation over time
-large inter-row gap (SDE)
-Automatic Brightness Limiter

Compared to LED/LCD, the only of these that might be 'worse' would be IR/care-and-feeding, the larger inter-row gap, and the dying sub-pixels if continued degradation proves to be possible/likely even on the Gen-2 WOLEDs - everything else might be a clear negative compared to class-leading plasmas like the Samsung F8500, but would probably be well-within the norms for even class-leading LED/LCDs...
post #10721 of 10721 Old Today, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Fundamentally speaking, OLED is capable of fixing all of these issues.

Low level non-uniformity and motion response can be fixed by moving to a sub-field drive scheme - this is similar to how plasma displays work and will improve motion. (OLED will also not require dithering due to the pixels having a wide intensity range.) This will require some changes to the technology but ultimately will be a big boon to panel efficiency and reliability (reduced panel heat.)

ABL will always be present, but from what I have seen it is not that aggressive. Manufacturers will always include ABL because it can make the panel brighter on average content for the same power budget, which is more attractive. In theory, it'll be possible to lower the equivalent of "cell light" to eliminate it, which will reduce the panel brightness slightly.

Sub-pixel degradation remains to be seen...
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page