post #10741 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
Plus add to that the fact that it takes up to 3 times more energy to get (small molecule and polymer based light emitting materials) OLED materials to release the same amount of (visible) light in comparison with phosphors excited by noble gases' UV light and you have yourself a winner.

But all BS aside there's no way in hell we are getting a PWM-based OLED.
I think the first few generations will definitely be pure analog drive like they currently are. But I'd completely support subfield multiplexing for all the benefits: faster motion response (quick sub-field like look, with minimal/no double images if done right), greater efficiency (and thus higher average brightness), greater linearity and uniformity in low intensities and longer panel life.

It remains to be seen, of course, if this will actually be implemented, but I'm hopeful it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
I think the first few generations will definitely be pure analog drive like they currently are. But I'd completely support subfield multiplexing for all the benefits: faster motion response (quick sub-field like look, with minimal/no double images if done right), greater efficiency (and thus higher average brightness), greater linearity and uniformity in low intensities and longer panel life.

It remains to be seen, of course, if this will actually be implemented, but I'm hopeful it will.
This is an interesting notion. You think maybe that's a 5 years out thing, if someone decides it allows them to market high-end features all over again?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #10743 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
This is an interesting notion. You think maybe that's a 5 years out thing, if someone decides it allows them to market high-end features all over again?
Of course, it's how consumer electronics works. Of course it depends on the pace of technology. I think OLED has the possibility of perfecting flat-panel displays for videophiles, but they'll still be able to market the silly features (e.x. PenTouch on LG plasmas, Smart TV features, 3D, etc) as upgrades further along down the line.
post #10744 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 152
This isnt really new, but both the author and speaker are better sources than most of the quotes on yields.

http://www.display-central.com/subsc.../imid-numbers/

Quote:
At SID Display Week late last May, Changho Oh (SVP for LG Display’s OLED TV Development Division 1) told me LGD’s Fab 1 was producing panels for LG’s 55-inch OLED TV at a 70-80% yield. (Yield for other sizes may differ.) This is an impressive (and critical) improvement over last year’s 10% and this past January’s 50%. Oh told me that most of the yield problems and improvements were in the oxide TFT backplane, so you can see that the hard-won knowledge represented in those IMID papers on improving the reliability and stability of oxide TFTs really is reflected in the display quality and price of the products you buy.
fafrd and ynotgoal like this.
post #10745 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Samsung IFA Press Conference Video.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1409671928

Check out the guy at just past the 21st minute of the video. He states that the upshot of all the studies done, have shown that people prefer curved objects because they find them less threatening.

My flat panel plasma keeps attacking me all the time, as soon as I let down my guard, much like Cato kept attacking Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther.
dsinger likes this.
post #10746 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Slacker, interesting that the yield issues appear to be almost entirely related to IGZO growing pains. I expect IGZO backplane yields to be ~99% within a very short period from here. There is no showstopper with respect to them and the push to IGZO/oxide was predicated on lower costs... To drive that reality, it will be necessarily to approach 100% and I have no doubt that's achievable.

It sounds like they are still losing some displays at the vapor depo stage, although how many is unclear. That problem will be worse on the bigger sizes, too, due to potential uniformity issues. But, again, this feels solvable.

The promise of LG's tech was always "it can be made at high yield." Nothing in 2012 indicated that promise would be achieved and 2013 was hardly better. 2014 has clearly been a revelation. Now that the sauce recipe has been perfected, there is little reason to doubt yields can remain high.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #10747 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Perfect. That's PWM at work.
No, it's not. It's a version of PAM, Pulse Amplitude Modulation.
post #10748 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
Samsung IFA Press Conference Video.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1409671928

Check out the guy at just past the 21st minute of the video. He states that the upshot of all the studies done, have shown that people prefer curved objects because they find them less threatening.

My flat panel plasma keeps attacking me all the time, as soon as I let down my guard, much like Cato kept attacking Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther.

Yeah, this got posted a few days ago: http://globalnews.ca/news/1380703/ne...ogy-impresses/

It's worth listening to for laughs if nothing else, but the upshot of all of this is that according to a 'curve-experience expert', watching flat TVs has been keeping us on the verge of triggering a 'fight-or-flight' response over all of these years without our even knowing it. No wonder society is all screwed up, just think about the angular houses we all live in :-)

The frightening thing out of all of this is how completely full of sh*t Samsung is and yet how confident they are in their ability to spoon-feed whatever drivel they need to move the market in the direction of their choice.
dsinger, greenland, agkss and 1 others like this.
post #10749 of 11505 Old 09-04-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Ummm we did go to war shortly after the flat panel mass adoption; they may be onto something...

Pray that the curve will bring us all peace again
post #10750 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Ummm we did go to war shortly after the flat panel mass adoption; they may be onto something...

Pray that the curve will bring us all peace again
I don't know about war, but Logistics companies have interrupted servicing some Near East countries due to an ongoing armed conflict ( meaning you can't get not only new Samsung TVs or LG TVs in those countries, but also medicine and stuff) just about the time curved TVs made an appearance...

Last edited by stas3098; 09-05-2014 at 12:30 AM.
post #10751 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Saw this posted on another forum. Thanks Patrik!

Translated labels:
100% Red/ 100% Green / 100% Blue / 100% White
Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/30% White

It is a rather shocking image of the flat LG EA8800. On some colors like red and blue, you have what amounts to ~13% pixel fill ratio. That is horrendous by any standard and explains why so many users complain of screen-door effect. I don't think even my ancient 720p LCD projector was this bad. Even if they slightly improve this on the 4K panel, that is still very poor. Maybe they need an 8K OLED after all.

It's also interesting that many colors are not a pure mix of primaries. There is some blue in yellow, blue/red in white, red/white in green, etc. I wonder if that is some kind of color bleed or deliberate. This helps explain why uniformity errors are more visible in certain colors. Also why it's so hard to calibrate these things - similar to the difficulty with Sharp's Quatron panels.

So given this low fill factor, they must be driving those red and blue pixels like crazy to get any decent brightness since most of the pixel is black. Seems very inefficient and might contribute to higher power requirements and ABL. Or maybe early wear/burn-in on those colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_wrgb.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	247226  
stas3098 likes this.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 09-05-2014 at 01:34 AM.
post #10752 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Translated labels:

It is a rather shocking image of the flat LG EA8800. On some colors like red and blue, you have what amounts to ~13% pixel fill ratio. That is horrendous by any standard and explains why so many users complain of screen-door effect. I don't think even my ancient 720p LCD projector was this bad. Even if they somehow improve this on the 4K panel to say 50%, that is still very poor. Maybe they need an 8K OLED after all.

It's also interesting that many colors are not a pure mix of primaries. There is some blue in yellow, blue/red in white, red/white in green, etc. I wonder if that is some kind of color bleed or deliberate. This helps explain why uniformity errors are more visible in certain colors. Also why it's so hard to calibrate these things - similar to the difficulty with Sharp's Quatron panels.

So given this low fill factor, they must be driving those red and blue pixels like crazy to get any decent brightness since most of the pixel is black. Seems very inefficient and might contribute to higher power requirements and ABL. Or maybe early wear/burn-in on those colors.
Well now I know why I can see SDE from about 12 feet away on LG 1080p OLEDs and almost none on 1080p LCDs even from half that distance.

post #10753 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Translated labels:

It is a rather shocking image of the flat LG EA8800. On some colors like red and blue, you have what amounts to ~13% pixel fill ratio. That is horrendous by any standard and explains why so many users complain of screen-door effect. I don't think even my ancient 720p LCD projector was this bad. Even if they slightly improve this on the 4K panel, that is still very poor. Maybe they need an 8K OLED after all.

Several of those images are identical to what you'd see on any LCD, save for perhaps a slightly greater inter-pixel vertical and the slightly greater inter-pixel horizontal when the "white" isn't active.

I can easily manage a ~25% fill factor on my LCD using your metric. I don't get why you think this is so different from LCDs. The gaps are slightly unusual; the use of sub pixels isn't even slightly unusual.

post #10754 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 91
LG pushes 4K OLED at IFA, demos concept 8K TV

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-pushes-4...8k-tv-concept/

Quote:
BERLIN -- There are plenty of 4K TVs around, and there are a fair few OLED TVs too. But LG says there aren't many 4K TVs that are OLED as well, and the company is right in the middle of unleashing a bunch of them. Given the wow factor OLED offers and the extra quality and bragging rights you get from 4K, LG reckons it's got one over the competition.

This belief in 4K OLED is reflected at LG's stand at the IFA show in Berlin. For the past few years, 3D has featured heavily on the company's stand, but this year, the focus is all on 4K OLED TVs. 3D is still present, but it's definitely been relegated to the subs bench.

Although 4K is LG's main focus this year, it's looking much further ahead too, using IFA to show off its 8K [LCD] TV for the first time. A 98-inch 8K TV is being shown behind closed doors, more to show off the company's technology than as something you're going to be able to buy soon.
post #10755 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

LG’s 65-inch 4K OLED TV will be first to hit the U.S. market, priced at $7,000

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ed-tv/#!bP4SSN

Quote:
t IFA 2014 today, LG confirmed with Digital Trends that its 65-inch curved 4K OLED television (model: 65EC9700) could start appearing on US store shelves as early as the end of this month, priced at $7,000. That makes LG’s Ultra High Definition OLED television the first to hit the consumer market, and it won’t be the last, either.

Later this year, we can expect to see LG’s 77-inch curved 4K OLED — which won Digital Trends’ Best of CES 2014 award — made available for purchase as well. That television, which was originally referred to as the 77EC9800, will now be released as the 77EG9700. Exact pricing has not yet been disclosed for the US market, but is rumored to be around $20,000.

LG is also toying around with a 55-inch curved 4K OLED TV, which it showed for the first time here at IFA 2014. In our video, you can see that it is one of the thinnest televisions ever made. Even LG, though, is questioning how well a 55-inch Ultra HD television may be received, considering many believe the benefits of the heightened resolution are unnoticeable at the smaller size.
post #10756 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

This is from the Emirates, but I'm assuming it also applies to the US market:

For Sony, OLED TV is no priority for now

Souce: http://www.emirates247.com/business/...09-05-1.561857

Quote:
When specifically asked about Sony launching an OLED TV in the 55, 65 and higher range models he said, “Currently out focus is on advancing 4K and LED technology. However we eill continue working on developing other technology. But there are no plans for now to release an OLED or a curved YV,” he said.
post #10757 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
No, it's not. It's a version of PAM, Pulse Amplitude Modulation.
The amplitudes were entirely static in every waveform in that document he posted. It was the pulse widths that were altered. The subfield drive mechanism he's talking about relies upon that.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #10758 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The amplitudes were entirely static in every waveform in that document he posted. It was the pulse widths that were altered. The subfield drive mechanism he's talking about relies upon that.
The pulse width directly determines brightness, though. The pulses are 500us long at the greatest, far too fast for the human eye to perceive.

It's not really PAM or PWM or PCM. It's an additive and accumulative code, with dithering for low-APL detail. The closest it is sort of like a time-multiplexed version of PCM, or like the old "1-bit DAC" designs that were big about 10 years ago (Delta-Sigma type DACs) but with 14/28 levels instead of just 1.

Plasma displays would not work at all if they had 10 fixed levels... you would just be staring at noise all the time.
post #10759 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
The pulse width directly determines brightness, though.
Of course.

Quote:
The pulses are 500us long at the greatest, far too fast for the human eye to perceive.
Sure. Doesn't change that they are pulse determined.

Quote:
It's not really PAM or PWM or PCM. It's an additive and accumulative code, with dithering for low-APL detail. The closest it is sort of like a time-multiplexed version of PCM, or like the old "1-bit DAC" designs that were big about 10 years ago (Delta-Sigma type DACs) but with 14/28 levels instead of just 1.

Plasma displays would not work at all if they had 10 fixed levels... you would just be staring at noise all the time.
How you gang up the information is up to the implementation. The term for PWM comes from the fact that any individual cell cannot achieve partial excitation at point in time. You can however, tightly define its duration.

Digital to Analog circuitry and the like are an example I almost brought up yesterday. Each line is a power of 2 greater than the line next to it, and each line is 100% gated by their corresponding bit in the source field. They're all added together. But the simile falls short; it's not like the plasma excitation at the lowest level.

BTW, there's a question I have about plasma material, related, that you've jogged my memory on. A white paper I remember at one point: there was this idea that a plasma cell could have several plasma types in it, basically multiply doped to have different excitation rates, yet the plasma material remained all mixed together. Such a device would have allowed two or four output levels (again, at any specific point in the time domain). That ever materialize?

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.

Last edited by tgm1024; 09-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.
post #10760 of 11505 Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
BTW, there's a question I have about plasma material, related, that you've jogged my memory on. A white paper I remember at one point: there was this idea that a plasma cell could have several plasma types in it, basically multiply doped to have different excitation rates, yet the plasma material remained all mixed together. Such a device would have allowed two or four output levels (again, at any specific point in the time domain). That ever materialize?

In a way but completely differently. Pioneer use spatial discharge on the 9G and I think 8G Kuros to achieve good low APL detail (no point having low black level if the detail near black is horribly dithered.) The spatial discharge is considerably lower light output. The spatial discharge in 1SF and 2SF is represented by the far-spaced pulses in the X-waveform seen just after reset. Interestingly, when I was tweaking the voltages of my Kuro down to lower the black level, I found that lowering YKNOFSA4 let me see this spatial discharge only - it's kind of like a varying black level but for the low detail - with no dithering at all - and of course follows the content, rather than it just being the whole panel.

Panasonic had some technology that allowed them to achieve 1/2 luminance in a single subfield - this was done by using a reset field (which determines panel MLL) selectively to apply low APL detail. They only used 1 subfield, unlike Pioneer, so needed to use dithering to make up the rest of the detail. I'm not sure if this was used in the VT60. (Incidentally, the Panasonic Focus Field Drive is complete marketing bullcrap; it's just a different name for 600Hz. There's no difference between it and conventional subfield drive, with the possible exception of having 12 or 14 subfields instead of 10 - but that would just be 720/840Hz drive.)
post #10761 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Several of those images are identical to what you'd see on any LCD, save for perhaps a slightly greater inter-pixel vertical and the slightly greater inter-pixel horizontal when the "white" isn't active.

I can easily manage a ~25% fill factor on my LCD using your metric. I don't get why you think this is so different from LCDs. The gaps are slightly unusual; the use of sub pixels isn't even slightly unusual.
So I picked a random 55" 1080p LCD - a Sony w950b. This LCD also features passive 3D just to put them both on a level playing field. Attached is the pixel layout I found here:
https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w950b

If you look at that image in an editor, you will see that for white, you have ~96 % coverage or about 32% per color sub-pixel.

You don't see a difference between 32% filled by red and 13% filled by red?

Looking at this OLED in the store, the aliasing on text, lines, and color edges is hard to miss. Due to the way the store was setup, I wasn't able to move far enough away to hide the issue. My guess is that it's beyond 10 feet. When I saw the LG for the very first time, I had assumed the set had the worst upscaling I had ever seen. It didn't occur to me until later that it was actually aliasing from the pixel structure.

I also recall an EA8800 owner on this forum being forced to sell the set immediately upon receipt because he found the SDE unbearable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w950b-pixels-medium.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	248922  
stas3098 and UltraBlack like this.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 09-06-2014 at 02:09 AM.
post #10762 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Of course.

Please note that I've simplified the sh!t out of ionization here

It doesn't make any sense to go through all that trouble seeing how you can just adjust IE (ionization levels) thus regulating brightness output of ionized gases (plasma). I don't know nothing about how plasma is driven beyond basics, but I know for sure that "ionization level" is proportional to current ,in other words, the higher amperage is the higher brightness output is and vise versa. By the way, this is how OLED works (by changing the ionization levels of emitters you can regulate the brightness output)

Last edited by stas3098; 09-06-2014 at 02:26 AM.
post #10763 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
It doesn't make any sense to go through all that trouble seeing how you can just adjust IE (ionization levels) thus regulating brightness output of ionized gases (plasma). I don't know nothing about how plasma is driven beyond basics, but I know for sure that "ionization level" is proportional to current ,in other words, the higher amperage is the higher brightness output is. By the way, this is how OLED works (by changing the ionization levels of emitters you can regulate the brightness output)
Conventional PDP has one sustain voltage - that's what makes most of the light - and reset voltages which produce MLL. Those are the only two levels available. Kuro/Panny plasmas have the initial additional levels created by different energisation voltages.
stas3098 likes this.
post #10764 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So I picked a random 55" 1080p LCD - a Sony w950b. This LCD also features passive 3D just to put them both on a level playing field. You don't see a difference between 32% filled by red and 13% filled by red?
I didn't say there was no difference at all... but your math is absurd. The LCD shows gaps between the r-g-b horizontally and a vertical gap. At most your red pixel is in the upper 20s, it's not 32%. In the magenta picture of the LG, you can see the horizontal sub-pixels basically touch there, like they do on the Sony LCD. So your "red only" would be losing a bit horizontally and a bit vertically... Maybe it's 20%?

The difference is not 13% vs. 32% at all; that math is silly.

Quite frankly, people have somehow survived LCDs producing pixels of "28% fill" without bitching and moaning. That the LG has too much space vertically is something we have discussed in many threads. We are all disappointed by it. We'd like to see it reduced on the 4K models. We'll see if it is.

post #10765 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Quite frankly, people have somehow survived LCDs producing pixels of "28% fill" without bitching and moaning. .
Probably because with so many other things to complain about no one has got around to that particular issue yet.
rogo likes this.
post #10766 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Any thoughts as to whether it'll be 4k OLED only from here on out? With the 55" 4k panel at IFA and a more more affordable 2k model just released that should go into much of 2015, once LG becomes more efficient in OLED, I could see them sticking with $3500 on a 55" 4k set and staying around that flagship price point. The same would go for the 65" and 77"+ sets.

The price cuts have been necessary to drive sales and amazing for consumers, but I don't think we're going to see budget OLED sets ($1k and under) any time soon. Please let me be wrong

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #10767 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
The price cuts have been necessary to drive sales and amazing for consumers, but I don't think we're going to see budget OLED sets ($1k and under) any time soon. Please let me be wrong
Chinese seem to copy everything; it's only a matter of time... Might be awhile though; since it seems there are tech issues with both LG & Saumsung... I can't imagine Chinese OLED being better quality to start...

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 09-06-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #10768 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Any thoughts as to whether it'll be 4k OLED only from here on out? With the 55" 4k panel at IFA and a more more affordable 2k model just released that should go into much of 2015, once LG becomes more efficient in OLED, I could see them sticking with $3500 on a 55" 4k set and staying around that flagship price point. The same would go for the 65" and 77"+ sets.

The one wildcard, I think, might be fab utilization. LG can make 1+ million TVs (annualized) once the new capacity is all online. If they can't sell that many as premiums, maybe they do a 1080p set and push the pricing down to $1500?

If they stick with $3500 as the lowest price, they cannot possibly sell 1+ million in a year, let alone 10x that.

post #10769 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
There is no reason for OLED to be moving to low-end too soon. Positioning at high-end is the best strategy right now. Lowering the prices and moving down the ladder may start when OLED eats LCD at the high-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Chinese seem to copy everything; it's only a matter of time... Might be awhile though; since it seems there are tech issues with both LG & Saumsung... I can't imagine Chinese OLED being better quality to start...
If you mean the Chinese are copying patented technologies currently and selling products in world markets it is plain wrong. Talk about the chinese OLED quality is premature at the moment since even Samsung has huge problems with this technology.

Quote:
The one wildcard, I think, might be fab utilization. LG can make 1+ million TVs (annualized) once the new capacity is all online. If they can't sell that many as premiums, maybe they do a 1080p set and push the pricing down to $1500?If they stick with $3500 as the lowest price, they cannot possibly sell 1+ million in a year, let alone 10x that.
Obviously the best strategy is to sell as many OLEDs as possible at high-end for premium price using argument it is much better than LCD. Once grabbing significant part of the high-end market one can move downstream. LG seems to have now the technology and manufacturing capability to start such process.

The key question for now is: How much premium for OLED display over LCD is willing to pay significant part of the segment of high-end buyers? For example $6-7K for a 65" 4K OLED looks acceptable for this segment.
post #10770 of 11505 Old 09-06-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Acceptable to who? Not me.
tgm1024 likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung