post #11252 of 11252 Unread Yesterday, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
There will always be one or two with superhuman vision. For the vast majority of people, this is simply a non-issue, certainly at 12'! More 'under the microscope' stuff. The only time I can recall being cognizant of SDE was on my first Fujitsu plasma. That's was not a full HD display, and there it wasn't overly difficult to see the SDE.

I would also say that certainly a guy like this must also have issues with SDE on other displays, not just the OLED. SDE is not exactly a new phenomena that's been discussed on AVS.
I certainly think you are right about SDE being a non-issue for the vast majority of viewers.

Though we (especially us AVSers) can become more sensitive to some display issues over time.

My ED Panny plasma used to just marginally bother me in terms of pixel structure from my regular viewing distance. Once 1080p plasmas came on the scene the SDE seemed for all practical purposes "solved" for me.
I remember some anti-flat panel folks, especially owners of CRT RPTVS as I remember, complaining of SDE, even on the 1080p panels. To me this had my inner eye-roll activated. I had a hard time believing anyone was so sensitive to SDE as to actually reject 1080p plasmas over it.

Like I've mentioned before here: now that I've lived with an essentially invisible pixel structure (JVC projector with E-shift) for years, SDE now sticks out to me like a sore thumb on the typical 1080p flat panel, especially when I try to get anywhere near to get some immersion. It really does intrude, making the picture look a bit more crude to me. That unfortunately includes the OLEDs I've viewed. And strangely enough, when I move close to the 4K flat panels to start getting the type of field of view expected to benefit 4K viewing, I even start noticing the extremely fine pixel structure in those displays! (Certainly not from the viewing distance I'd use for a 1080p display, though).

This goes against my expectations I had years back. Live and learn. (Or live long enough, and you pick up new AV curses...)
rogo likes this.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List