post #11252 of 11264 Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
There will always be one or two with superhuman vision. For the vast majority of people, this is simply a non-issue, certainly at 12'! More 'under the microscope' stuff. The only time I can recall being cognizant of SDE was on my first Fujitsu plasma. That's was not a full HD display, and there it wasn't overly difficult to see the SDE.

I would also say that certainly a guy like this must also have issues with SDE on other displays, not just the OLED. SDE is not exactly a new phenomena that's been discussed on AVS.
I certainly think you are right about SDE being a non-issue for the vast majority of viewers.

Though we (especially us AVSers) can become more sensitive to some display issues over time.

My ED Panny plasma used to just marginally bother me in terms of pixel structure from my regular viewing distance. Once 1080p plasmas came on the scene the SDE seemed for all practical purposes "solved" for me.
I remember some anti-flat panel folks, especially owners of CRT RPTVS as I remember, complaining of SDE, even on the 1080p panels. To me this had my inner eye-roll activated. I had a hard time believing anyone was so sensitive to SDE as to actually reject 1080p plasmas over it.

Like I've mentioned before here: now that I've lived with an essentially invisible pixel structure (JVC projector with E-shift) for years, SDE now sticks out to me like a sore thumb on the typical 1080p flat panel, especially when I try to get anywhere near to get some immersion. It really does intrude, making the picture look a bit more crude to me. That unfortunately includes the OLEDs I've viewed. And strangely enough, when I move close to the 4K flat panels to start getting the type of field of view expected to benefit 4K viewing, I even start noticing the extremely fine pixel structure in those displays! (Certainly not from the viewing distance I'd use for a 1080p display, though).

This goes against my expectations I had years back. Live and learn. (Or live long enough, and you pick up new AV curses...)
rogo likes this.
post #11253 of 11264 Unread Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
More on this 'Blue Light is Harmful' story: http://global.ofweek.com/news/LCD-TV...OLED-TVs-19986

'An article on blue light published by Harvard Medical School in May 2012 said, “Research shows that the exposure to blue light at night may contribute to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity, in addition to insomnia.”'
post #11254 of 11264 Unread Yesterday, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 119
^^^ I'm doomed.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #11255 of 11264 Unread Today, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have a good one, too it goes like this (though I wholeheartedly recommend to pop a brew before reading it to see it in the favorable light) :

A man walks into the bar and sits his ass on the barstool next to a real hottie.

Then he strikes up a conversation, buys her a drink and sweettalks her into ditching the scene and going back to his place.

When they arrive at his place they start makin' out, undressing and mollycoddling and when the girl pulls down her undies dude freaks out, jumps right off the bed and starts hyperventilatin'.

The girl asks him what's wrong and Dude yells out: you don't have a dick that's what's wrong!

But messing around aside LG is so full of shît that it's not even funny. Human body has very good protection mechanisms in place to counter effects of low frequency UV and high frequency blue light i.e nonionizing radiation. In fact only X-ray grade frequencies (ionizing radiation) can circumvent human anti-radiation protection mechanisms and extremes like super high frequency black hole grade gamma rays will melt your face right off in a few seconds.

Last edited by stas3098; Today at 06:26 AM.
post #11256 of 11264 Unread Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
More on this 'Blue Light is Harmful' story: http://global.ofweek.com/news/LCD-TV...OLED-TVs-19986

'An article on blue light published by Harvard Medical School in May 2012 said, “Research shows that the exposure to blue light at night may contribute to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity, in addition to insomnia.”'
Is this because people who don't exercise but sit all day in front of displays are more prone to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity in addition to insomnia?

I really question the causal relationships implied by some of these things.

Besides, the article itself is sloppy: The quote you get above is referenced from the source this way: "An article on blue light published by Harvard Medical School in May 2012 said [...]" with no link to the article.
stas3098 likes this.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #11257 of 11264 Unread Today, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Is this because people who don't exercise but sit all day in front of displays are more prone to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity in addition to insomnia?

I firmly with all my heart believe that you are onto something here with because people who don't exercise but sit all day in front of displays are more prone to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity in addition to insomnia

post #11258 of 11264 Unread Today, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Besides, the article itself is sloppy: The quote you get above is referenced from the source this way: "An article on blue light published by Harvard Medical School in May 2012 said [...]" with no link to the article.
Then i've got something for ya
The effects of blue light on ocular health (Elaine Kitchel, M.Ed. American printing House for The Blind).
post #11259 of 11264 Unread Today, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Then i've got something for ya
The effects of blue light on ocular health (Elaine Kitchel, M.Ed. American printing House for The Blind).
Most modern LED backlights are made from a combination of a blue and yellow phosphor thus canceling out most of the bad effects of near UV. What I'm saying is don't let them get your head all screwed up with fear-mongering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nb_solar.gif
Views:	15
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	328385  

post #11260 of 11264 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
Most modern LED backlights are made from a combination of a blue and yellow phosphor thus canceling out most of the bad effects of near UV. What I'm saying is don't let them get your head all screwed up with fear-mongering
Seems to me that LED LCd TVs from the start had blue led's with yellow phosphors They probably are talking about blue light wavelengths from the TV reaching your eyes.
post #11261 of 11264 Unread Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The Harvard Medical School study surmises that blue light upsets circadian rhythms, disturbing sleep but more importantly disrupting the release of melatonins, without which you could have the health problems they allude to.
post #11262 of 11264 Unread Today, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Seems to me that LED LCd TVs from the start had blue led's with yellow phosphors They probably are talking about blue light wavelengths from the TV reaching your eyes.
Well, if we are talking about eyes your lenses will prevent most of the harmful wavelengths from reaching your retina and LED doesn't use any deep blue or UV that's why they are harmless to the eyes. LED's blue is mostly 450-460nm which is harmless by any stretch of imagination even at 1000 nits.

People in these studies simply manipulate the facts by calling 350nm (350nm is harmful to the eye even at very low intensities, because it doesn't get absorbed and it builds up on the retina) blue which is blue in their classification but it is not blue in LED classification (450nm).

http://www.cresttech.com.au/led_info_wavelength.html

Last edited by stas3098; Today at 03:44 PM.
post #11263 of 11264 Unread Today, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #11264 of 11264 Unread Today, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I've been reading through the transcript of the recent LGD earnings call here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2587...p=qanda&l=last

Where I found this tidbit:

"The first question will be provided by Andrew Abrams from JG Capital. Please go ahead, sir.
Andrew Abrams - JG Capital
Hi. Thank you for taking my questions. First, I was just trying to get a little color on the status of the OLED fabs. I'm assuming that you're still producing TVs on the pilot line. Is that correct? And also, when would you expect the new gen-8 line to start taking over some of that production capability?
Hee Yeon Kim - Head of IR Department
As we continue to comment, we will add additional OLED production base at the end of this year. There might be a similar scale at around 6K on top of the 8K. So this is our schedule.
And then if our production [indiscernible] improvement [indiscernible] we will add more 20K at the end of next year. That's our plan. And all the progress is in line with our original plan."

So if we take this at face value, it means they will have only the 8K half-Gen8-sheet M1 pilot capacity until the end of this year, M2 will be ramped to a first phase of 6000 full Gen8 sheets by the end of this year, and then (after whatever indiscernible improvements are achieved) will be ramped with an additional 20K sheets per month to the full capacity of 26,000 sheets per month by the end of 2015.

If LG will truly only be running M2 at 6000-sheet phase I capacity through 2015, that equates to a maximum of 460,000 55" OLEDs from M2 in 2015...
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page