335Likes

post #11281 of 11309 Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo42 View Post
So why does there seem to be almost zero news or discussion about OLED computer monitors? I mean we have had them in smartphones now for several years and finally in large TV's, the 55" LG is even fairly affordable now. So why nothing for 13"-30" computer monitors? I don't remember ever even reading about a prototype or something like that being shown. Closest I've seen are those Sony broadcast reference monitors but those are obviously not intended for desktop computer use.
This article was published in August 2014:

http://www.oled-info.com/where-are-o...d-oled-laptops

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 11309 Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
This article was published in August 2014:
Thanks, seems like that article is also asking why there aren't any OLED monitors and not really finding an answer either though. I'm mostly curious if it's a technical reason like burn in problems or if it's just a (imo strange) marketing decision.
post #11283 of 11309 Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
-I'll just stop myself here - "55 inch brandname OLED TV for $3500..." -Dreams come true!..

Last edited by CATYPH202; 10-29-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #11284 of 11309 Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATYPH202 View Post
-Can't stop myself - "55 inch brandname OLED TV for $3500..." -EAT MY SHORTS!!! "myghty" Rogo...
What?
tgm1024 likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #11285 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This is interesting…

Quote:
In the CPI design, familiar rectelliptical airplane windows are replaced with giant OLED displays lining the inside of the plane’s fuselage.
http://qz.com/287445/windowless-plan...-look-amazing/
dabotsonline and Matt2026 like this.
post #11286 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^ ^ Ahhh vapourware.....ain't it grand !
Continuing the great OLED tradition.
post #11287 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo42 View Post
Thanks, seems like that article is also asking why there aren't any OLED monitors and not really finding an answer either though. I'm mostly curious if it's a technical reason like burn in problems or if it's just a (imo strange) marketing decision.
Probably burn-in concerns. Screen door effect might be an issue too.
mattg3 likes this.
post #11288 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Besides, it would never look anywhere near as good as that picture. You can't look toward the front and see things in proper perspective from a 2D display. The thing would be horrendous and likely just make most people shut their eyes from dizziness.
Yeah, the vertigo would likely render something like 5% of people incapable of flying normally.

That said, windowless planes are all-but inevitable.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #11289 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Just ran into this: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20141...10.html?chid=2

"Tony Huang, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Friday 24 October 2014]

OLED TV pricing is expected to remain double that of Ultra HD TVs through 2016"
post #11290 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know where this guy gets his information (or misinformation ) but there are a few interesting tidbits: http://www.computerworld.com/article...-the-crib.html

'IHS Research predicts that around 14,000 OLED TV units will ship in the US during 2014, and that number will increase to almost 1.2 million units in 2018.'

'Like OLEDs, quantum dot technology supplies light on demand, which enables more efficient displays than more common light emitting diode (LED) or liquid crystal diode (LCD) displays.'

Say WHAT

'According to DisplaySearch, a 55-in conventional LCD TV costs about $400, a 55-in LCD TV with QD technology retails for about $500, while a 55-in OLED TV runs about $1,750.'

Sounds like there is some mixing up between 'costs' (cost of goods sold) and 'retail' cost. Ignoring that one probable typo, the rest sounds sensible (all referring to COGs).

'The additional cost for OLED TVs can mainly be attributed to low manufacturing yields: about 40% of all production turns into scrap material, according to Gray.'

Sounds like Grey did not receive the recent 'official' announcement by LG of OLED yields improving to within the 70-80% range...

'Paul O'Donovan, a principal analyst with Gartner's Consumer Electronics Research unit, said quantum dot technology at the very least helps to lengthen the lifespan of LCDs as a big screen technology as the industry moves into 4K resolution and eventually beyond.

"That could be a significant factor in delaying OLED displays in terms of possible cost reduction in manufacturing as volume sales remain limited," O'Donovan said.'

Unfortunately, that last quote appears spot -on
post #11291 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The continued conflation of quantum dot displays (fantasy-land stuff) with quantum-dot-film enhanced LED-LCDs is frustrating.
agkss likes this.

post #11292 of 11309 Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
The continued conflation of quantum dot displays (fantasy-land stuff) with quantum-dot-film enhanced LED-LCDs is frustrating.

The conflation is not an accident. Fear, uncertainly and doubt will prevail in the face of transition (especially when the price for 'real' OLED is 2X), and the Chinese LCD juggernaught is fanning the flames with ULED, GLED, your-favorite-capital-letter-LED.

Seems pretty much the entire TV industry with the possible exception of Sony and Panasonic is united in wanting to do everything they can to keep the LG WOLED train waiting at the station...

p.s. I missed it until just rereading now, but did you notice the reference to 'liquid crystal diode (LCD) displays'
dsinger likes this.
post #11293 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The conflation is not an accident. Fear, uncertainly and doubt will prevail in the face of transition (especially when the price for 'real' OLED is 2X), and the Chinese LCD juggernaught is fanning the flames with ULED, GLED, your-favorite-capital-letter-LED.

Seems pretty much the entire TV industry with the possible exception of Sony and Panasonic is united in wanting to do everything they can to keep the LG WOLED train waiting at the station...

p.s. I missed it until just rereading now, but did you notice the reference to 'liquid crystal diode (LCD) displays'
Re-reading your own post? You missed it the first time? {chuckle} j/k j/k.... :-P

The degree to which folks have to jump through hoops to avoid the term "LCD" so that the public doesn't confuse it with CCFL-LCD, is just freakshow nutty, and I'm fairly certain the blame on Samsung for this "LED" nonsense is well placed.

@rogo , yes, that QD thing is annoying as hell to straighten out. In fact, there are times where I think 90% of what the industry guys at AVS are forced to do here is clarify public confusions that should never have occurred in the first place.

The terminology collisions are absolutely endless.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #11294 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Yeah, the vertigo would likely render something like 5% of people incapable of flying normally.

That said, windowless planes are all-but inevitable.
All but inevitable? I don't know about that.
post #11295 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Maybe you do not care about a window in an airplaine, most people would feel very uncomfortable without it. Reminds me of the first rocket to the moon. Austronauts insisted that engineers added a window..why oh why

Last edited by 8mile13; 10-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #11296 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Maybe you do not care about a window in an airplaine, most people would feel very uncomfortable without it. Reminds me of the first rocket to the moon. Austronauts insisted that engineers added a window..why oh why
Yeah I know. I don't know why he said a windowless plane is "all but inevitable." I'd wager that they'll always have windows.

Maybe he meant "far from inevitable." Or maybe I have a different interpretation of the word "inevitable."
8mile13 likes this.
post #11297 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Maybe he meant "far from inevitable." Or maybe I have a different interpretation of the word "inevitable."
Or maybe he meant "inconceivable!"

Sorry, Princess Bride fan..
NickTheGreat and Matt2026 like this.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #11298 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I think claustrophobia comes into play when your mind knows you're stuck in an aluminum tube with a faux view to the outside. At the same time, depending on how they implement the display, they could easily induce vertigo in many people.

But hey bring it on. I want that USAF VR helmet that lets you see all around your plane like it is not there. Wonder Woman!
post #11299 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I think claustrophobia comes into play when your mind knows you're stuck in an aluminum tube with a faux view to the outside. At the same time, depending on how they implement the display, they could easily induce vertigo in many people.

But hey bring it on. I want that USAF VR helmet that lets you see all around your plane like it is not there. Wonder Woman!
in case of emergencies, its very useful to look outside a window. So you don't, for example, evacuate onto a burning wing.

Its also useful to look inside a window if, for example, you're a ground emergency crewman.

Windows are here to stay.

Alex
post #11300 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Hey I'd be happy with OLED screens for the entertainment systems on planes but that's not going to happen, maybe not even in first class.
post #11301 of 11309 Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I do. Both Boeing and Airbus are looking to get rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
A plane like the one portrayed in the picture? Imagine being next to huge displays on both sides of you that are moving for 4 hours. It'll be a lot more than 5% with screens that large and on that long.

Heck, I'm not convinced I could survive 1/2 an hour of that and I'm not "prone" to vertigo.

Perhaps they could probably draw the window of your choice on the side and black out everything else.
Maybe it's worse than 5%. Clearly, that design is not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Lots of things are put there to mollify old people, that's true. "I will never get on a Subway train that's doesn't have a man at the controls!" (Don't ride BART in San Francisco. Or the L train in New York.) "People won't get that stove without the flames!" (Except that induction is faster and more efficient, too.)

When Mercury started, the state of the art in video cameras and screens was, um, yeah... Not so good.

Quote:
Yeah I know. I don't know why he said a windowless plane is "all but inevitable." I'd wager that they'll always have windows.

I mean all but inevitable.

Windows = thicker, heavier fuselage. That yields a narrower passenger space but a greater fuel burn. In other words, it's lose + lose so that fewer than 1/3 of seats can have an exterior view (on average, across the various configs 2/3, 3/3, 2/3, 2/5/2, etc. etc.).

Removing the windows will ultimately yield a lighter, more rigid (safer) plane that consumes less fuel and will motivate the offering of every-seat, external-view displays. Exit doors, incidentally, will likely retain windows so as to allow for a visual inspection of the exterior in the unlikely event of an incident.

By the way, the future is unlikely to have traditional fuselage as we know it too. Blended-wing body designs are also more efficient, but will require some rethinking of airports. That said, they render windows even more obsolete.

http://www.twitt.org/bldwing.htm

post #11302 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I guess we will end up with something like this..

post #11303 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 554
The windows are going to go away mostly and of course there will still be a few left. The cabin crew will be happy as well since they can control the cabin atmosphere easier. I doubt they'll give us any 'virtual windows' to start. I'm sure they'll just compromise and add more cameras to the exterior of the plane that you can view feeds from on your display or on the wireless network and make up for the rest with more novel design and décor.

Ironically the astronaut example reminds me of the Apollo 13 crew and their power outage. If it weren't for the window and the sextant they had on board they would not have been able to navigate; whoever insisted on that windows contributed to saving their butts.

And, induction is better than gas, I switched over 3 years ago and its not only significantly faster than gas but has more accurate control, especially on the low end (no more double boilers needed). However, you do have to say goodbye to certain techniques and the cooking is a bit more clinical
rogo likes this.
post #11304 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting since one of the things Boeing is touting on the 787 is the big windows.

I don't know if Airbus' answer to the 787 has big windows.
post #11305 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Interesting since one of the things Boeing is touting on the 787 is the big windows.

I don't know if Airbus' answer to the 787 has big windows.

I've only really been active on AVS over the past year, but over that span, I can't think of a better example of straying off-topic in the face of OLED technology doldrums...
mattg3 and dsinger like this.
post #11306 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A lot of things get exaggerated as they head for the exits.... Tail fins on cars come to mind. Airplane windows might well be the "tail fins" of the jet age.

Airbus, incidentally, doesn't seem to tout window area on the A330neo from what a quick glance at the marketing material showed. They are excited about 3-D films on the in-flight entertainment system however!

post #11307 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the A350, is their 787 competitor. Pictures show standard small windows.
post #11308 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
They are excited about 3-D films on the in-flight entertainment system however!
I wonder if that will have any effect on the number of air sickness bags that get used.

I imagine that with the amount of time it takes to get a plane to market they can be quite a bit behind the trends if they lock in to a technology, such as 3D as it seems to be on the decline elsewhere.

I wonder if they are getting excited about putting curved screens on planes next.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #11309 of 11309 Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Looks like the A350, is their 787 competitor. Pictures show standard small windows.
Yes, the A330neo was the stopgap. The A350XWB has bigger-than-average windows but not 787 big.

"They're one of the first feature passengers notice about the Dreamliner - they're up to 70 per cent bigger than older aircraft and about 30 per cent bigger than its contemporaries. The A350's windows are larger than any other Airbus model, are wide and but noticeably smaller than the Boeing."

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11304892

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I wonder if that will have any effect on the number of air sickness bags that get used.

I imagine that with the amount of time it takes to get a plane to market they can be quite a bit behind the trends if they lock in to a technology, such as 3D as it seems to be on the decline elsewhere.

I wonder if they are getting excited about putting curved screens on planes next.
Heh, probably. One thing about IFE is that (a) it's late in the development cycle (b) it's customized by carriers. They probably have a reference design early, but that's unlikely to be taken by too many customers of the actual planes.

I'd imagine there would be a strong push, for example, for OLED screens if they ever actually reach price parity. The reduction in weight would be highly desirable as would any reduction in power consumption.

Let's hope not on curved screens, though.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page