OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 381 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 381Likes

post #11401 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I've just read a brief from Merck and Philips. It says that EMD (Merck paid about 8 billion dollars to get them and spent billions and billions of dollars in R&D with BAFS to get to this point) are finally ready to start production they are expected to supply Kateva, Philips, Sony, Novaled and a whole bunch of other Korean, Japanese and Chinese firms.

The most interesting thing about the brief is about Philips. Philips are getting ready to start making OLED lighting that is just as good as the sun for farming. It is expected to revolutionize the farming industry by 2030 by making BCs (closed farms) better for glowing plants than open farms and that might even solve the problem of food supply. I have been a participant in building "closed" farms with LED for quite a while now and I believe that with OLED people won't need the sun to "survive" and OLED will supplant the sun for agriculture soon enough.

Toshiba ,among others, are to build new OLED farms in the not so distance future.

http://www.science-health.com/farmin...clean-factory/

P.S I think Samsung are getting in' with Kateeva to make lighting rather than TVs. Although we might see them making TVs as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hmm, that's going to make the material expensive for TVs if there is a lot of demand for lighting.
post #11403 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, that's going to make the material expensive for TVs if there is a lot of demand for lighting.

Quite to the contrary. The plan is to make OLED dirt-cheap for High Spectrum LED cost an arm and a leg to make and this is why Merck skipped on "LED" and invested into OLED. Merck believe they can make OLED material really cheap and last really long.

Merck have the biggest LCD material plant ever built (it supplies like 99 percent of all LCD production (they supply singles for LCD) and sell over 60 percent of LCD due to antitrust legislation) and the plant they have in mind for OLED will be at least thrice the size.

The best thing about Merck is that they see the bigger picture. Form the get-go they knew that OLED never was about TVs they knew that OLED was liable to change the world.

It might seem like science fiction, but Merck together with Norway are planning to develop techniques to grow plants and use Cyanobacteria (Cyanobacteria produce much of the oxygen that we breathe) to make for a limitless supply of oxygen and food on the future space ships, stations and space cities.

http://www.thelocal.no/20141121/norw...crops-in-space

P.S Merck is not directly involved with the project it's their daughter companies who are.

Last edited by stas3098; 11-21-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #11404 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

hmmm,

tough call

watch oled display or grow pot
8mile13 and stas3098 like this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #11405 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
I wouldn't loose any sleep yet.

Regardless how cheap they can make it, sunlight for farming is free. How do you beat free?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #11406 of 11414 Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I wouldn't loose any sleep yet.

Regardless how cheap they can make it, sunlight for farming is free. How do you beat free?
The sun light and climate are fickle and unreliable ( draughts, insects, crop-failures due to bad weather and such are the price the sunlight comes at) . "Open" farms are soon gonna be just a vestige of the past. Plus they take up a lot of space.

You can build multi-storied farms (and to get quick access to aquifers you can build these farms underground) which can grow "clean" plants throughout the year. And in the future you can even build "closed" fruit-bearing tree groves using OLEDs and use OLEDs to grow grass and fodder for the cattle. The only reason why "closed" farms haven't taken off yet is because LED has very low spectral properties (plants don't seem to like LED in fact they prefer CFL lighting to low spectral LED and they just love high spectral OLED) and it cannot substitute for sunlight and OLED can. OLED can cover 100 percent of the visible spectrum (in some arrangements) and then some more.

If you can make OLED cheap and energy efficient enough than "open" farms will die a quick death.

Last edited by stas3098; Yesterday at 01:35 AM.
post #11407 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Are we talking about space ship earth for the day when being outside is too hazardous? Maybe a time when all the topsoil has been moved under ground.
post #11408 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's called Elon Musk's greenhouse on Mars.
post #11409 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 615
The problems with traditional farming revolve around water and phosphate use more than anything. Both of those are increasingly scarce. Modern aquaponic farming in highrises might -- as stas says -- save the world.

And with that, I guess my self-imposed hiatus from this thread is over.
Stereodude and stas3098 like this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #11410 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM

I don't know about y'all, but I firmly believe that OLED will lend itself to much more than just a perfect TV. OLED is destined for great things and as some wise men here have noticed it might just save the world one day...

post #11411 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
.......And with that, I guess my self-imposed hiatus from this thread is over.
Welcome back to the world of jibber jabber Rogo.
We have missed you.
post #11412 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
The sun light and climate are fickle and unreliable ( draughts, insects, crop-failures due to bad weather and such are the price the sunlight comes at) . "Open" farms are soon gonna be just a vestige of the past. Plus they take up a lot of space.

You can build multi-storied farms (and to get quick access to aquifers you can build these farms underground) which can grow "clean" plants throughout the year. And in the future you can even build "closed" fruit-bearing tree groves using OLEDs and use OLEDs to grow grass and fodder for the cattle. The only reason why "closed" farms haven't taken off yet is because LED has very low spectral properties (plants don't seem to like LED in fact they prefer CFL lighting to low spectral LED and they just love high spectral OLED) and it cannot substitute for sunlight and OLED can. OLED can cover 100 percent of the visible spectrum (in some arrangements) and then some more.

If you can make OLED cheap and energy efficient enough than "open" farms will die a quick death.
And I thought I was pushing the limits by going on about the Multiverse and such stuff but....???....goodness me!!!
OLED's replacing the Sun, as far as farming is concerned anyway!!!!
You sure you haven't been partaking of that peyote you talked about previously Stas.

P.S. That's a thought. Does peyote thrive under OLED lighting Stas??

Last edited by catonic; Yesterday at 07:57 AM.
post #11413 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
Welcome back to the world of jibber jabber Rogo.
We have missed you.
Was he gone? When did he leave?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #11414 of 11414 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
And I thought I was pushing the limits by going on about the Multiverse and such stuff but....???....goodness me!!!
OLED's replacing the Sun, as far as farming is concerned anyway!!!!
You sure you haven't been partaking of that peyote you talked about previously Stas.

P.S. That's a thought. Does peyote thrive under OLED lighting Stas??
I'm dead serious about farms. It's a real deal. The company I work with has a 3 year backlog for building such farms around the globe (and Mid East in particular). It's a bit freaky I know.

Here's a glimpse of the not-so distance future (20 to 30 years) as far as farming concerned.

http://www.science-health.com/farmin...clean-factory/

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung