OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 403 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 559Likes
post #12061 of 12070 Unread Yesterday, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 206
LG Display's 20F filing is out (equivalent to US 10K). All kinds of comments about OLED's being the future of the display industry.

It looks like the E4 (M2) fab did start its ramp in December. No details on when it restarted after the nitrogen leak.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...914919d20f.htm

Quote:
We began production of OLED panels for televisions on our E3 production lines in January 2013 and commenced mass production of OLED panels for smartphones on our E2 production lines and OLED panels for televisions on our E4 production lines in December 2013 and December 2014, respectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12070 Unread Yesterday, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Is there a sense of what their smartphone capacity is?

Also, do we know if anyone is using their smartphone panels in existing models and which models?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12063 of 12070 Unread Yesterday, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Agree with everything you have written.

[snip]

The fact that you can purchase a 90" Sharp LCD from Costco for $6300 is interesting - there must be some demand for screens that size (which LG could dominate) and 100" screens (which LG could pioneer at little incremental investment) could be the next mainstream 'massive-size' TV on the horizon...
Listen, if LG wants to sell $6300 90" OLEDs, no one is going to object!

The market size at 90" is pretty small, however. At $30-40K, it's not even 1/10th as large.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12064 of 12070 Unread Yesterday, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Is there a sense of what their smartphone capacity is?

Also, do we know if anyone is using their smartphone panels in existing models and which models?
Their E2 fab (flexible small display OLED) capacity is pretty small. It is a Gen 4.5 fab with capacity for 14k substrates a month. That is enough for niche handsets like the Flex plus Apple's Watch capacity but not much else. The rumor is that they will start construction on a Gen 6 facility with capacity for another 15k this summer, but management has yet to confirm that.

A 15k Gen 6 fab could produce somewhere around 5 million 5" displays a month.
post #12065 of 12070 Unread Today, 01:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
A 15k Gen 6 fab could produce somewhere around 5 million 5" displays a month.
Interesting. That's still not enough to be even meaningful toward an iPhone (it wouldn't cover a launch quarter!). I guess this makes me less sanguine the 2016 iPhone will go OLED as Samsung would (a) need a lot more capacity than I suspect it currently has and (b) would be close to a sole source.

I would still like to see Apple just build its own display fab, even if it has someone else operate/construct/manage it. Basically, a display version of the deal it tried to obtain (but failed) with TSMC. The likeliest partner would be LG. The cost actually seems low.

I'd recommend doing this as a twin-line 8G and supporting LG's TV business, but memory tells me that 8G fabs aren't especially great for making smartphone displays (too much cutting).

post #12066 of 12070 Unread Today, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Interesting. That's still not enough to be even meaningful toward an iPhone (it wouldn't cover a launch quarter!). I guess this makes me less sanguine the 2016 iPhone will go OLED as Samsung would (a) need a lot more capacity than I suspect it currently has and (b) would be close to a sole source.
The interesting thing though is that if LG Display does build the Gen 6 fab, it is hard to see who would buy that kind of capacity besides Apple. The G4 is LG Electronic's flagship handset and if it sells 12 million units in the next year, it will be considered a big success for the company. Outside of Apple and Samsung, there just arent very many high-end units sold.

So either LG Display figures that all of the non-Samsung/Apple high-end vendors are going to start buying flexible OLED's from them or this fab would be used to supply Apple in some capacity.

Obviously, Apple would need quite a bit more capacity to actually change over the entire iPhone lineup in a single stroke. It is possible that Samsung could build a Gen 6 fab of sufficient size in the next 15 months, but they have yet to give details on the size of the fab that they have planned (just like LGD).
Rich Peterson likes this.
post #12067 of 12070 Unread Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
When it was time to upgrade my iPad 3, Apple lost me to Samsung primarily due to lack of an OLED display. They really should fund/build their own fab because really what are they sitting on their cash reserve for.

Admittedly I am atypical. The iPad's display is great to most people. Samsung could be playing up their OLED advantage more, but their lineup is not all OLED either and there is the awkward fact that they have no OLED TV.
post #12068 of 12070 Unread Today, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
When it was time to upgrade my iPad 3, Apple lost me to Samsung primarily due to lack of an OLED display.
Yep, while I think the OLED's on Samsung's smartphones look great, the display on the Galaxy Tab S gives me a serious case of tech envy. I am in too deep with Apple's ecosystem to switch, but an iPad with an OLED display would be an awesome upgrade. The stats say that people are watching quite a bit of video on tablets now and that would allow an OLED to shine from both a quality and power consumption standpoint.

While I do believe that Apple will eventually start moving towards OLED, it is hard to say when and how they will do so. They are so big that you will need to see some huge fabs built to handle their demand.
post #12069 of 12070 Unread Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
Yep, while I think the OLED's on Samsung's smartphones look great, the display on the Galaxy Tab S gives me a serious case of tech envy. I am in too deep with Apple's ecosystem to switch, but an iPad with an OLED display would be an awesome upgrade. The stats say that people are watching quite a bit of video on tablets now and that would allow an OLED to shine from both a quality and power consumption standpoint.

While I do believe that Apple will eventually start moving towards OLED, it is hard to say when and how they will do so. They are so big that you will need to see some huge fabs built to handle their demand.
Freakshow enormous. Freakshow everything in fact.

Apple is such a difficult phenomenon to discuss. It's funny, because folks will have economic theories that in all truth are 100% correct......but they're forced to offer the caveat "er, this doesn't apply to Apple".

I have to say though, that my now aging (2+ years?) Note II OLED display *still* floors me when I watch a movie on it. Still. It's such a joy to watch. In fact it's such a nice phone, I'm afraid to upgrade to the 4.

I can't imagine how nice the Tab S must look.

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
post #12070 of 12070 Unread Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt anywhere near 2% of the world's tablets are being sold with OLEDs. Samsung has about 14% of the world's tablet sales and really there's no evidence even 1 in 10 of their sales are the OLED models.

So that doesn't seem like a vulnerability for Apple at all, not a strong area of interest for now.

The phone, on the other hand, has to be something they're looking at. Every bit of thinness and -- with certain content types at least -- power consumption matters there. And the image quality gap is small but definitely real.

So while I'd like an iPad OLED, I don't see that as likely without an 8G OLED line from someone.

It will clearly take at least two 6G lines to support the iPhone OLED.

And not soon enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung