OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 407 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 596Likes
post #12181 of 12195 Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomkid View Post
So what you're saying is, stay away from OLED unless it is LTPS?
Nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stas3098 View Post
The problem is that there's no LTPS OLED TVs out there and there might not be any for a long time.
Likely never, to be precise.
Quote:
But for now there's going to be some OLEDs with darkened edges which shall come as part and parcel of them, but some lucky guys might win the OLED lottery and get one without such blemishes... in the TV world you never know until you open the box.
Sadly, this has been true for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCloud View Post
Are you saying that it's the backplane which is responsible for LG OLED non-uniformity? I was under the impression that it was caused by the imperfect deposition of the actual OLED material. Why do IGZO LCDs not have these uniformity problems?
The LCD has its own set of uniformity problems, but one important point is that the transistor doesn't modulate light output in an LCD. It modulates the "light valve". The output of the light itself is a function of the LEDs, which are often uniformly illuminated (except on locally-dimmed sets, including faux edge-lit dimmed sets, where they are modulated) but are never directly modulated by the backplane in the same way OLED emissive pixels are.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 12195 Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Nonsense.

Likely never, to be precise.

Sadly, this has been true for years.

The LCD has its own set of uniformity problems, but one important point is that the transistor doesn't modulate light output in an LCD. It modulates the "light valve". The output of the light itself is a function of the LEDs, which are often uniformly illuminated (except on locally-dimmed sets, including faux edge-lit dimmed sets, where they are modulated) but are never directly modulated by the backplane in the same way OLED emissive pixels are.
More specifically, LCDs operate on the basis of voltage and the transistors involved act as voltage switches (which modulate the degree to which LCD lightvalves transmit or block light already generated by the LED backplane) and don't pass any significant current. The backplane transistors involved in OLED operate on the basis of current (which is required to generate emmissive light output) and in terms of the effect of threshold drift and transistor lifetime, that is a significant difference in operating conditions (current-mode generally being worse than voltage-mode).
rogo and UltraBlack like this.
post #12183 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 96
LG interview at CE Week discussing HDR and other brands adopting LG's OLED. On the curve: "the novelty has worn out. We are commited to the flat form factor."
tgm1024 and UltraBlack like this.
post #12184 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotgoal View Post
LG interview at CE Week discussing HDR and other brands adopting LG's OLED. On the curve: "the novelty has worn out. We are commited to the flat form factor."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzmAH0BqM4
Not exactly what he said, though I was hoping it was.

"We are committed to the flat form factor as well as curved for those who prefer it." Almost exactly at 3 minutes in, though I can't make AVS behave with youtube marked position links, so you might have to FF directly to that point.

He didn't squash the curve concept entirely.

Cogito ergo sum makes a fundamental mistake because it ignores the implied existence of the narrator. Descartes might as well have said "A rose is red, therefore I am".
post #12185 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I think as long as lg makes both flat and curved tv of the same model as a choice for consumers we could all live with it. Samsung on the other hand has only made there best tv in curved form factor and I really hate that if you want their best you have to settle for the curve.
post #12186 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
I think as long as lg makes both flat and curved tv of the same model as a choice for consumers we could all live with it. Samsung on the other hand has only made there best tv in curved form factor and I really hate that if you want their best you have to settle for the curve.
Well if you're anti-curve (I am, though the scientist in me requires me to reconsider that position periodically) then Samsung is absolutely going to irk you the most. Their curve in comparison to LG's is extreme.

Cogito ergo sum makes a fundamental mistake because it ignores the implied existence of the narrator. Descartes might as well have said "A rose is red, therefore I am".
post #12187 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Not exactly what he said, though I was hoping it was.

"We are committed to the flat form factor as well as curved for those who prefer it." Almost exactly at 3 minutes in, though I can't make AVS behave with youtube marked position links, so you might have to FF directly to that point.

https://youtu.be/GhzmAH0BqM4?t=3m1s

He didn't squash the curve concept entirely.
''the curve form factor was very popular in certain parts of the world'' ''the novelty has worn out'' Looks like the curve best days are over ..it was very popular..for two years...in certain parts of the world...
post #12188 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
''the curve form factor was very popular in certain parts of the world'' ''the novelty has worn out'' Looks like the curve best days are over ..it was very popular..for two years...in certain parts of the world...
I understand, but that's still not the rotting corpse I was hoping to find.

post #12189 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Yup, very popular when flat is not an option.
Nugget, GmanAVS, tgm1024 and 1 others like this.
post #12190 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotgoal View Post
The thing all us critics said was dumb and a gimmick is... dumb and a gimmick.

Maybe these companies need to crowdsource marketing to people who have a clue.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #12191 of 12195 Old 06-24-2015, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

I heard the most popular color for the 1914 Ford Model T was black.
post #12192 of 12195 Unread Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Woe belimp the world where man should hook and look to curve a TV... a thing soothly unhuikable...

P.S Just a short FYI. "Hook" means to think (comes from Old English "hycgan"( if I am not mistaken and is cognate with the Scots word for "to think" huik (pronounced as "hook"). The phrase: "to hook and look (to)" means to first think of an idea (usually of some verily terrible idea) and then try to bring that idea to fruition... this phrase is still sometimes found in the northernmost thorps and wiks of England. The most famous incarnation of this set phrase is as follows: "I'm sorry, I neither hooked nor looked to hurt/insult(bore) you (with this tangent)".

Last edited by stas3098; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.
post #12193 of 12195 Unread Today, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 95
post #12194 of 12195 Unread Today, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Um, that seems to suggest they're going to produce a lot of OLED for mobile devices. And speculates that since LG supplies Apple, one might conclude ...
post #12195 of 12195 Unread Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, wco, no implications for TV at all.

Too bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page