OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 620Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12241 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
The transcript will probably be out tomorrow but LGD reiterated their 600,000 unit target for the year on their quarterly conference call. They expect 80% of their OLED units to be sold in the 2nd half so it sounds like the 1st half was around 120,000 units. They did add the caveat though that the mix of 65" and 77" units could impact the unit target.
From the transcript:

"We anticipate 7-1/2K, yes. It is the first phase of our plastic OLED to support [inaudible] display. So if we are -- we will have foundry [ph] migration, we will consider another place, but it's not decided yet.

Rob Stone - Cowen & Co.
Okay. And then with respect to the capacity expansion that was planned for OLED TV this year, can you provide any update on how that's progressing from the 14,000 towards the 34,000 substrates?

Hee Yeon Kim - Head of IR Department
Yes. It is in line with our previous communication, another 20K will be added in second half. The production will be starting in the middle second half this year. Totally our OLED TV capacity 34K."

Translation: Q3 will be another quarter like Q2 as far as production output (meaning ~87.5K units) and then output in Q4 may increase to as much as 2.4 times that level (to ~212.5K

This would mean (assuming all 55"):
Q1 35K
Q2 87.5K
Q3 87.5K
Q4 212.5K
2015 422.5K (best case with no significant 65" or 77")

Quote:
They expect yields for 4K to hit 1080p levels by the end of the year. There were a variety of questions about future OLED television fab plans but they were deferred for the future. I dont expect an announcement on a fab expansion until early next year.
From the transcript:

"Andrew Abrams - SCMR
Got it. And is there any way you can discuss your yield? I realize that you're in the process of ramping up, which is going to affect yield no matter what the circumstances are. But is there some guidelines you can give on where you would be in terms of OLED 55-inch TVs on yield?

Hee Yeon Kim - Head of IR Department
In case of 55-inch full HD OLED last year, it was already hit over 80%. Now it is a bit higher than last year. And in case of ultra-high definition, we are on the progress to increase our yield ratio to the similar level of full HD. So we believe ultra-high definition ratio should be similar at the end of this year with the full HD."

Translation:

55EC9300 FHD yields are now 'abit higher' than 'a bit over' 80% - so let's take a stab and say that they are near 85% today.

UHD yileds will not approach the 80% level before the end of 2015, meaning the earlier shipment forecast for Q4 is an absolute best case and is not likely to materialize (since it assumes FHD yield levels from the beginning of Q4).

In terms of worst-case, it seems as though LG should be able to ship at least 300,000 OLEDs in 2015, which would be an achievement in any case (10X year-on-year volume growth).

And if they get the yields on the UHD OLEDS and including the increased capacity up into the 80-85% range by the end of this year, the 1.5M production target for 2016 seems very doable.

Quote:
On a more general note, the Korean newspapers have had nearly daily stories about the threat of Chinese LCD vendors. The question on how to compete in the future is usually answered with OLED. LGD is suffering large losses with their OLED television expansion right now but I think that they see it as a necessity if they want to compete with Chinese display vendors.
There was a section near the end where LGD would not commit to ASPs being no more than double those of like-sized premium LCDs.

That (as well as the 'dark edge' quality issue) is a concern...
fafrd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12242 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 234
What's happening with the 77" bendable EG9600 that was shown at CES?
Orbitron is online now  
post #12243 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Translation: Q3 will be another quarter like Q2 as far as production output (meaning ~87.5K units) and then output in Q4 may increase to as much as 2.4 times that level (to ~212.5K)
LGD isnt supply constrained. They are demand constrained so the price cuts we have seen and the increased distribution should increase Q3 sales over Q2. The price on the 55EC9300 fell from $3500 to $2500 on April 22nd and more recently fell to $2300. The 55EG9600 fell from $5000 to $4500 in the last few weeks and I expect we will see further price declines as we move through the quarter.

Combine that with at least some sales of the new flat models and I do expect some increase in Q3 sales over Q2.


Quote:
There was a section near the end where LGD would not commit to ASPs being no more than double those of like-sized premium LCDs.
I think it is impossible tell what LCD ASP they are referring to. If it is the premium segment then the question makes little sense as LGD is already less than twice the ASP of Samsung's offerings (and they dominate the high-end).

It could be the average 4K 55" LCD. That includes any number of sub-$1000 offerings so they are a long way from getting to 2x that ASP.

Absent more clarity on the question, I dont worry much about the response.
slacker711 is online now  
post #12244 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
LGD isnt supply constrained. They are demand constrained so the price cuts we have seen and the increased distribution should increase Q3 sales over Q2. The price on the 55EC9300 fell from $3500 to $2500 on April 22nd and more recently fell to $2300. The 55EG9600 fell from $5000 to $4500 in the last few weeks and I expect we will see further price declines as we move through the quarter.
When you consider that 14K substrates per month X 6 55" OLEDs per substrate X 80% yield = 67K 55" OLEDS per month or 200K OLEDs per quarter, it sounds like you are right.

On the other hand, the transcript contained this tidbit:

"Unidentified Participant

Hello. Thanks for taking my question. I just wanted to check if your OLED television production goal is still 600,000 for this year and 1.5 million for next year?

Hee Yeon Kim - Head of IR Department
Yes, that's our target number.

Unidentified Participant

Okay. Thank you very much.

Hee Yeon Kim - Head of IR Department
However, if our customers' response for bigger screens such as 65 and 75, it is to be adjusted below. But that's great impact for us.

Combine that with at least some sales of the new flat models and I do expect some increase in Q3 sales over Q2."

Reduced output because of a shift in mix to larger screen sizes only makes sense if they are capacity constrained (and the reference to Q3 over Q2 makes it clear that his comment regarding reduced production numbers is in reference to 2015, not 2016.

Also, some increase in Q3 over Q2 does not sound anything like double (or even 150%).

The math on this equation has never added up...



Quote:
I think it is impossible tell what LCD ASP they are referring to. If it is the premium segment then the question makes little sense as LGD is already less than twice the ASP of Samsung's offerings (and they dominate the high-end).

It could be the average 4K 55" LCD. That includes any number of sub-$1000 offerings so they are a long way from getting to 2x that ASP.

Absent more clarity on the question, I dont worry much about the response.
I agree that the recent price moves on the 65" OLED are encouraging (but they are still going to have to go quite a bit lower to drive the kind of Q4 demand LG is hoping for). We're finally back to that magical $6000 price that LG leaked a year ago...

It will be very interesting to see where Panasonic's OLED ends up being priced

Last edited by fafrd; 07-26-2015 at 06:18 PM.
fafrd is online now  
post #12245 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Reduced output because of a shift in mix to larger screen sizes only makes sense if they are capacity constrained (and the reference to Q3 over Q2 makes it clear that his comment regarding reduced production numbers is in reference to 2015, not 2016.
Yes, you are right that only makes sense in a capacity constrained environment. There is simply no way that makes any sense when I look at the numbers so my assumption is that this is simply management's attempt to give themselves a little wiggle room on the unit shipment numbers.
slacker711 is online now  
post #12246 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
Yes, you are right that only makes sense in a capacity constrained environment. There is simply no way that makes any sense when I look at the numbers so my assumption is that this is simply management's attempt to give themselves a little wiggle room on the unit shipment numbers.
M1 has always been the mysterious part of the equation to me.

M2 phase I is 6000 substrates per month, or 36,000 raw 55" 4K panels per month. At 80% yield (which they are still apparently below), that amounts to a little over 85K 55" 4K OLEDs per quarter (about the estimated total units shipped in Q2). M2 is only producing 4K OLED TVs (and is the only fab producing 4K OLED TVs), so the 'reduced production output for larger panel mix' carries a certain logic for M2. And since the 'size trade off' only applies to 4K OLEDs, it makes sense for M2 (assuming they get 4K OLED sales close to 85K/quarter).

The problem is that LG is not selling anywhere near that number of 4K OLEDs right now. The vast majority are stil the 1080p 55EC9300s.

Those are being produced on M1 and it's never been clear to me how much of M1s 14K sheets/month capacity is dedicated to OLED TVs. Obviously not all, or they would be way over supplied (as you noted) - about 67K per month or 200K per quarter.

And also never been clear to me whether the M1 capacity of 14K sheets per month is full sheets or half sheets. If it is only 14K half-sheets, that would mean 'only' 100K 55EC9300s per quarter - still quite a bit more than stated production shipments, but the gap is narrowing.

In any case, if the M2 expansion stays on schedule, one thing that is certain is that 4K OLEDs are going to become a great deal more affordable in Q4...
fafrd is online now  
post #12247 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm wondering if the Korean government will, somehow, subsidize the manufacturing of LG's OLED program. The Korean LCD sets will not be able to be price competitive with the Chinese manufacturers in the future, and OLED is the Korean hope for continued participation in TVs.
MikeBiker is online now  
post #12248 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,794
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Maybe they are banking on the upcoming flat 4K panels having unprecedented sales compared to curved? I guess that's possible given that most videophiles are waiting for the flat ones. But is there really pent up demand for half a million units in 6 months?
I'd suspect that "unprecedented sales" is generated only by one thing: pricing action of a significant nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I agree that the recent price moves on the 65" OLED are encouraging (but they are still going to have to go quite a bit lower to drive the kind of Q4 demand LG is hoping for). We're finally back to that magical $6000 price that LG leaked a year ago...
It seems like magic only starts happening for the 65" at $4000 or so. Samsung seems to be offering $3500 and $4500 right now for "SUHD" 65" TVs. Compare them on Samsung's own web site and they are basically the same. Rather than educate me about why one is $1000 more than the other, I'll just tell you the cheaper one outsells the expensive one by 5:1 based on what I can see and what I know to be true about pricing.

The top end model probably sells very little overall, despite Samsung's marketing might. It's the narrow sliver atop the narrow sliver of the 65"+ market, which starts +/- $1000 these days. I'd guess it's a 50K annual seller. At the same price, LG could sell 50K of those -- maybe. The "better" qualities of the set still won't match Samsung's distribution and marketing.

At $4000, it starts to matter much more. At $3500, it becomes a very interesting product at least against next year's target though we might then be looking at ~250K sales of it over a full year (and it could easily be fewer).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #12249 of 12265 Old 07-26-2015, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Just found this: http://www.oled-info.com/lgd-plans-p...-oled-tvs-2020

3M OLED TVs in 2017 and 5M in 2018. Sounds ambitious but credible.

On the other hand, the forecast of a total of 86K 1080p OLEDs and more than 400K 4K OLEDs in 2015 does not...
fafrd is online now  
post #12250 of 12265 Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
LG has announced their new flat models in South Korea. The pricing below doesnt sound great in dollars, but they represent significant pricing cuts from what I can find for the current curved 4K models. For example, the 55EG9600 is selling for 7.1 million Won at a large Korean e-tailer.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150727001118

Quote:
In Korea, the company has started offering cash benefits for customers. With the benefits, a 65-inch flat Ultra OLED TV comes to 8.9 million won ($7,600), while both 55-inch flat and curved Ultra OLED TVs are priced at 5.4 million won.
slacker711 is online now  
post #12251 of 12265 Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
From a Korean newspaper.

slacker711 is online now  
post #12252 of 12265 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,889
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
LG has announced their new flat models in South Korea. The pricing below doesnt sound great in dollars, but they represent significant pricing cuts from what I can find for the current curved 4K models. For example, the 55EG9600 is selling for 7.1 million Won at a large Korean e-tailer.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150727001118
The best 65 inch tv ever made for $7600? Not too shabby. It's 2015, many people told us not to expect sub-10k 4K OLEDs before 2020, if then.

I guess we all know how that turned out. Predictions are like ____, everyone's got one.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #12253 of 12265 Old Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
irkuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 95
^Prices must become reasonable to achieve the manufacturing targets. Hopefully the 65" has no PQ issues of any kind.
irkuck is offline  
post #12254 of 12265 Old Today, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
^Prices must become reasonable to achieve the manufacturing targets. Hopefully the 65" has no PQ issues of any kind.
I've had the 55EC9300 for a few months now. No 'dark edges' problem on that 1080p OLED and LG absolutely needs to clean that issue up on the 4K OLEDs over the next 1-2 months or it could spell death.

The most significant PQ issue on these OLEDs after that obvious defect is the near-black greyscale nonuniformity. It ends up looking like pretty bad and pretty noticable DSE, especially on image pans with dark content. The rest of the time, the image is fantastic, but if you ask me which I find more noticable/objectionable, the occasional halo/bloom on a good FALD LED/LCD of the occasional DSE/nonumiformity on near-black content with the OLED, the DSE jumps out as the more significant defect.

Hopefully LG will make improvements in this area with the new OLEDs they are releasing. If not, I may decide that my larger-screen TV is going to be a FALD LED/LCD rather than a 65" OLED.

This issue is now a bigger deal to me than the curve (which is really not that big of a deal at all once you get one of these TVs home).
Yappadappadu likes this.
fafrd is online now  
post #12255 of 12265 Old Today, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
NintendoManiac64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
LG has announced their new flat models in South Korea. The pricing below doesnt sound great in dollars, but they represent significant pricing cuts from what I can find for the current curved 4K models. For example, the 55EG9600 is selling for 7.1 million Won at a large Korean e-tailer.
It's usually more accurate to take into account the price difference rather than the absolute price-point and then apply said difference to the local pricing in your country.


So following that logic, the 65EF9500 is 81.65% of the price of the current 65EG9600. That TV goes for $6999 USD currently, and 81.65% of that price point would be $5715 USD... so probably $5499 or $5999.

Following that same methodology, the 55EG9470 is 78.26% of the price of the 55EG9600; that TV goes for $4499 so 78.26% of that is $3521...so $3499 seems likely.


Of course, the 55EG9350 is the same price as the 55EC9300, so no math needs to be done to predict its price.
NintendoManiac64 is offline  
post #12256 of 12265 Old Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
It's usually more accurate to take into account the price difference rather than the absolute price-point and then apply said difference to the local pricing in your country.


So following that logic, the 65EF9500 is 81.65% of the price of the current 65EG9600. That TV goes for $6999 USD currently, and 81.65% of that price point would be $5715 USD... so probably $5499 or $5999.

Following that same methodology, the 55EG9470 is 78.26% of the price of the 55EG9600; that TV goes for $4499 so 78.26% of that is $3521...so $3499 seems likely.


Of course, the 55EG9350 is the same price as the 55EC9300, so no math needs to be done to predict its price.
Good logic and I agree.

Except unclear whether the 55EG9350 will make its way to the US and also unclear whether it will have any upgrades that make the 55EC9300 'old' (and hence lead to further discounting).

The 55EC9300 is currently available in the U.S. for an MSRP of $2300 (and pretty widely available at street prices below $2000), so if the flat 55EG9350 does make its way here, unclear whether it will have an MSRP of $2300 or $2500 (which would be $1000 below the expected MSRP of the 55" 4K model...).

By Black Friday, we will probably see a further 20% drop on all of these prices (if LG wants to have any hope of finding demand for their increased output starting in early Q4).
fafrd is online now  
post #12257 of 12265 Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,794
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
^Prices must become reasonable to achieve the manufacturing targets. Hopefully the 65" has no PQ issues of any kind.
This is key. And these prices ain't them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I've had the 55EC9300 for a few months now. No 'dark edges' problem on that 1080p OLED and LG absolutely needs to clean that issue up on the 4K OLEDs over the next 1-2 months or it could spell death.
.
Don't tell anyone you own this, it will destroy your LCD street cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
So following that logic, the 65EF9500 is 81.65% of the price of the current 65EG9600. That TV goes for $6999 USD currently, and 81.65% of that price point would be $5715 USD... so probably $5499 or $5999.

Following that same methodology, the 55EG9470 is 78.26% of the price of the 55EG9600; that TV goes for $4499 so 78.26% of that is $3521...so $3499 seems likely.
So this is interesting math to me. I kind of feel like the 55" needs to be below $2500 for there to be any chance at all of reaching the targets for 2016 (I've written off 2015. It's irrelevant and they are very unlikely to hit the 600K goal which now looks a lot like the equivalent of selling 1M+ TVs given how backloaded it has to be -- 5 months out of 12 for 80% or so).

The Samsungs are $2000 and $2500 today at 55" and both -- again -- are likely very low volume with the cheaper one outselling the expensive one on the order of 5:1. If LG is maintaining a delusion that they can similar volumes at higher prices than Samsung, it's just that -- a delusion. They can sell some volume at higher prices, but nothing resembling Samsung volumes.

I've already discussed that there is essentially no volume to be had on the 65" at >$5000. The product gets intriguing from a sales perspective at $4000 -- where it splits the difference on the Samsungs.

It's interesting that the continued use of 8G fabrication makes 65" such a non-competitive size and that presents problems for LG. It doesn't appear the 65" reaches $4000 until the 55" is, in fact, $2000 or so.

If we triangulate, there is no doubt in my mind that "today's" $3500 55" will be $1000 cheaper next year. It might reach $2000 if things are going well (or poorly).

The 65" will likely achieve $4999 next year, but could certainly get to $4499 and $3999. Only at the third of those prices can LG expect to sell ~200K units or more. The market dries up very rapidly above $4000. If LG could achieve $3000 pricing, they could likely sell 500K-1M units of the 65" alone. That would be what's necessary to sell 5M+ TVs. The earliest this can happen is 2017-18.

The year of OLED really feels like 2017, which is where it felt it was going to be in 2012 (if not earlier).

Let's hope we have product to enjoy then.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #12258 of 12265 Old Today, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 336
No matter how fantastic the PQ is and no matter if the product is very price competitive you can't make money if nobody knows about your product. Magazine articles didn't help plasma even though the technology was touted in every review as the best. Winning shootouts won't help, ask Panasonic. Our praises here will go unnoticed among the masses. If they become marketable you better see commercials during college and professional football games, the World Series, March Madness, the Super Bowl, Etc etc. The men, yep, men. They watch that stuff and buy TV's and will believe what you tell them.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #12259 of 12265 Old Today, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 129
No TV maker has heavily marketed better contrast ratio in a TV ad.

It's going to come down to how it looks in the showroom compared to the competition.

Can it beat the torch mode of LCD?
wco81 is online now  
post #12260 of 12265 Old Today, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,179
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
By Black Friday, we will probably see a further 20% drop on all of these prices (if LG wants to have any hope of finding demand for their increased output starting in early Q4).
That is if there is a "black friday" of any particular note other than in name. I'm not at all sure that there was one last year.

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #12261 of 12265 Old Today, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
So this is interesting math to me. I kind of feel like the 55" needs to be below $2500 for there to be any chance at all of reaching the targets for 2016 (I've written off 2015. It's irrelevant and they are very unlikely to hit the 600K goal which now looks a lot like the equivalent of selling 1M+ TVs given how backloaded it has to be -- 5 months out of 12 for 80% or so).

The Samsungs are $2000 and $2500 today at 55" and both -- again -- are likely very low volume with the cheaper one outselling the expensive one on the order of 5:1. If LG is maintaining a delusion that they can similar volumes at higher prices than Samsung, it's just that -- a delusion. They can sell some volume at higher prices, but nothing resembling Samsung volumes.

I've already discussed that there is essentially no volume to be had on the 65" at >$5000. The product gets intriguing from a sales perspective at $4000 -- where it splits the difference on the Samsungs.

It's interesting that the continued use of 8G fabrication makes 65" such a non-competitive size and that presents problems for LG. It doesn't appear the 65" reaches $4000 until the 55" is, in fact, $2000 or so.

If we triangulate, there is no doubt in my mind that "today's" $3500 55" will be $1000 cheaper next year. It might reach $2000 if things are going well (or poorly).

The 65" will likely achieve $4999 next year, but could certainly get to $4499 and $3999. Only at the third of those prices can LG expect to sell ~200K units or more. The market dries up very rapidly above $4000. If LG could achieve $3000 pricing, they could likely sell 500K-1M units of the 65" alone. That would be what's necessary to sell 5M+ TVs. The earliest this can happen is 2017-18.

The year of OLED really feels like 2017, which is where it felt it was going to be in 2012 (if not earlier).

Let's hope we have product to enjoy then.
I'd forgotten that you are even more if a Debbie Downer (or a realist) on the prospects for LG OLED future than I am

What's strange to me is LGs focus on 55" 4K. Samsing is not even offering a flagship at that size (only the step-down edge-lit JS9000, which I don't believe the 55" 4K OLEDs need to undercut to succeed). So could the 55" 4K OLEDs succeed at $3000 versus the 55" 4K OLEDs ELPD JS9000 at $2500? Perhaps, but any of those premium 4K TVs at 55" just seems like so much of a niche here in the US compared to 65" and above premium TVs (ROW probably different).

So I'm with you on 65" @ $4K being the more compelling premium segment for LG to focus on (at least here in the US) - now your competing against the 65JS9500 (at $4500 today), the Sony 65X950B still ostensibly at $6000 (or 75X940B at $8000), and the 'if-it-ever-materializes' Vizio R65 at a price which will now almost certainly be below $4000 (10% below the 65JS9500 today).

$5500-$6000 at introduction gets down to $4500-$5000 by Black Friday which puts them on track to hit $4000 - $4500 by next year.

In terms of 4K panel production, going from 6000 sheets per month to 26,000 is more than a quadrupling in output - those additional 4K panels are going to have to go somewhere or LG will be facing much more significant capital losses.

It's really a pity that LG was unable to get their act together on the 77" - those TVs at introductory prices of $8000 - $9000 at introduction dropping to $6500-$7500 by Black Friday would probably have mopped up most of the limited premium volume at that size (which as Ken has demonstrated, will probably be going to the Sony 75X940C instead ).
fafrd is online now  
post #12262 of 12265 Old Today, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
So this is interesting math to me. I kind of feel like the 55" needs to be below $2500 for there to be any chance at all of reaching the targets for 2016 (I've written off 2015. It's irrelevant and they are very unlikely to hit the 600K goal which now looks a lot like the equivalent of selling 1M+ TVs given how backloaded it has to be -- 5 months out of 12 for 80% or so).
Assuming that LGD is currently gross margin positive, and I believe that to be true, then $2500 or so is exactly where I expect the 55" 4K OLED to be priced next year. You should like that number, it follows your 30% rule almost to a T

Quote:
The Samsungs are $2000 and $2500 today at 55" and both -- again -- are likely very low volume with the cheaper one outselling the expensive one on the order of 5:1. If LG is maintaining a delusion that they can similar volumes at higher prices than Samsung, it's just that -- a delusion. They can sell some volume at higher prices, but nothing resembling Samsung volumes.
I dont consider the datapoint to be definitive, but the 55EC9300 (1080p OLED) is currently outselling the $2000 55JS8500 and $2500 55JS9000 on Amazon. Both of the latter sets are 4K with quantum dots but neither has a FALD backlight.

If a 55" 4K OLED set hits $2500 next year, then the question is going to be what the hell does Samsung do to protect their high-end share.

Last edited by slacker711; Today at 07:36 PM.
slacker711 is online now  
post #12263 of 12265 Old Today, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Jason626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
No TV maker has heavily marketed better contrast ratio in a TV ad.

It's going to come down to how it looks in the showroom compared to the competition.

Can it beat the torch mode of LCD?
I think oled can beat torch mode in a dark environment (like magnolia). Those lcds will bloom, bleed and cloud themselves.
Jason626 is offline  
post #12264 of 12265 Old Today, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
Assuming that LGD is currently gross margin positive, and I believe that to be true, then $2500 or so is exactly where I expect the 55" 4K OLED to be priced next year. You should like that number, it follows your 30% rule almost to a T



I dont consider the datapoint to be definitive, but the 55EC9300 (1080p OLED) is currently outselling the $2000 55JS8500 and $2500 55JS9000 on Amazon. Both of the latter sets are 4K with quantum dots but neither has a FALD backlight.

If a 55" 4K OLED set hits $2500 next year, then the question is going to be what the hell does Samsung do to protect their high-end share.
Oh, that's an easy one - drop their prices...
fafrd is online now  
post #12265 of 12265 Old Today, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
slacker711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Oh, that's an easy one - drop their prices...
A couple of points.

1) The CE division within Samsung which covers their television sales isnt particularly profitable. When things are going well, it has margins in the low single digits. They lost money last quarter. The cost could be absorbed by the display manufacturing arm of Samsung but the LCD side isnt particularly profitable either.

2) They already have dropped prices and that is for sets with substantial added features/costs. The 55JS9000 retails for $2500 and that set is an upgraded version of last year's 55HU9000 with quantum dots and support for HDR. Usually, those kind of feature additions allow the vendor to at least keep prices static YoY. Not this year, the 55HU9000 was selling north of $3000 at this time last year and didnt hit $2500 until late in the year.

I believe that the SUHD line has sold well this year, but some of that is on the back of those price declines. Assuming that LG gets anywhere near their unit goals, CES 2016 is going to be very interesting. Will the high-end LCD vendors continue to add on features/costs to continue the picture quality fight or will they cut costs to compete on price?
slacker711 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off