OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 432 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 811Likes

post #12931 of 12936 Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
1988 was the first LCD TV, it was 14 inches. It was awful but it was a TV. Pretty sure the first active-matrix laptop was also 1988 with the Macintosh Portable, which didn't even have a backlight and was monochrome. None of the stuff that came before.

According to this, 1989 was the first year 10-inch TFT LCD monitors existed: http://www.personal.kent.edu/~mgu/LCD/index.htm

I feel pretty good about arguing 1988 was the first real year of commercialization of LCD as we understand it today. I'm also comfortable with using the 2002 date as the analogue to what we are talking about with PDP and OLED. Referring to passive matrix laptops or worse laptops with some cash-register sized LCD display as comparable confusing things. By that logic, there was a digital camera with an OLED in 2000. And a monochrome plasma in 1983 with a full-color monitor-sized one in 1992.

If we're compared apples to apples, we should just ignore the 14-inch LCD TV milestone entirely and stick with 2002. The only reason I mentioned the 1988 TV was that it technically qualifies as "commercialization of a television." That's also analogous to the milestones I listed for PDP and OLED, even though it was a tiny LCD TV. The early laptop computers are not remotely similar in that regard.
So tvs are the baseline for mature lcd production?

Alright, that lcd was tiny, but what about the 1984 data general one?

Large backlit lcd that also did cga, machine that was comparable to desktops at the time, AND the lcd still works today!

Can you say that this isn't mature enough for mass production?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12936 Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio2009 View Post

Large backlit lcd that also did cga, machine that was comparable to desktops at the time, AND the lcd still works today!

AIUI, he was saying that we should set aside the passive matrix stuff because it's confusing. Like the display in that DG.

I so love it with this election when political commentators say "Well, we're clearly in uncharted territory here" because it's so obviously a failed attempt to code "We have no idea what we're doing." A political commentator is like a weatherman that always predicts "50/50 chance of rain."
post #12933 of 12936 Old 02-09-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio2009 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
AIUI, he was saying that we should set aside the passive matrix stuff because it's confusing. Like the display in that DG.
Also, it was monochrome.

I think the point should be clear: Nothing goes from "first device" to much of anything commercial is <15 years. It doesn't go from first device to a big TV in <30 years. We're barely at first device with anything that isn't LCD or OLED. We can safely rule out a new kind of TV anytime soon.

Also, read this if you never have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1

With HDMI cables, if you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. Also, while anecdote is the "singular of data" your personal anecdote isn't data. When you conflate your anecdote with data and then decide someone else's anecdote isn't data, you earn a place on my ignore list.
post #12934 of 12936 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Also, it was monochrome. .

Also, read this if you never have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ie=UTF8&btkr=1
2011...isn't that kind of, um, outdated?
post #12935 of 12936 Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjack View Post
2011...isn't that kind of, um, outdated?
The book is from 30 years earlier.

#kidstoday

With HDMI cables, if you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. Also, while anecdote is the "singular of data" your personal anecdote isn't data. When you conflate your anecdote with data and then decide someone else's anecdote isn't data, you earn a place on my ignore list.
post #12936 of 12936 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The Digitimes article I linked to earlier ended with this statement: "BOE will not be ready to produce OLED TVs in 2016, but it will deliver sample panels to TV makers in China - and will still consider whether to commit to a Gen-8.5 production fab."

So between Samsung and BOE, I think the other thing we are agreeing on is that by 2020, we will need to see at least 2-3 OLED TV panel manufacturers in the market to be certain OLED TV has passed the point of no return...
Another supplier is talking about orders from outside Korea for large size OLED. I would assume it is BOE. If they make orders in the next quarter or so they could be in the market in 2018.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3883...pt?part=single

Have you received orders or do you anticipate orders yet in the OLED market outside of Korea?

Yes, we did, mainly in the small-to-mid. But in 2016, we expect to see that also in the large displays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung