OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 884Likes

Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
My position seems pretty simple. If we don't see that for street and/or a $2500 street for a 4k 55-inch B6 before the end of the year then they won't sell 1 million total units in 2016. And even at those exact street prices if those are only rare sales then they aren't hitting 1 million this year either. IMO of course.

So, I think that if they hit their current production targets street prices at those levels are lower will be necessary to keep inventory from stacking up. Unless they divert units to other manufacturers, those units take the lower end, and that is how they get to 1 million.

--Darin
I have not been following the 55" 4K market as closely as I have the 65", but I believe that is basically a done-deal.

What was the Q4'15 discounted pricing on the 55EF9500?

The 1080p 55EG9100 is widely available for under $2000 currently and is occassionally dipping down to $1400 through Adorama: http://www.oled-info.com/adorama-off...0-oled-tv-1399

Production costs between 1080p and 4K are not all that different (once yields are equivalent), so we already know LG can profitably sell 55" OLEDs at prices below $2000 once yields are at target levels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
As far as Vignetting, there has been no engineering fix at the OLED panel level. Excessive vignette appears to impact roughly 50% of panels and LG (E or D, can't tell which) appears to have made an engineering change to either drive electronics and/or algorithm to enhance the brightness of the last 4-6" of either end of the screen.

This change unfortunately screws up the uniformity of 'perfect' panels (because they now have visibly lightened edges - anti-vignette) but no doubt results in a higher % of panels exhibiting mild vignette to be shippable. You can see some screen shots where the screen is suddenly brighter farthest from the edge and then gets darker close to the edge as the underlying vignette kicks in. This was not a fix, it was a hack.
I wonder if it would help if they would allow people to take a picture of their screen and feed that back into the projector so that the uniformity could be adjusted based on what the screen is actually putting out for light. I know this would be pretty advanced and is unlikely to happen, but I can dream. Alternatively, let us adjust some things to help the display figure out how to get things uniform and put it in a service menu. Some Sony projectors have had that.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 02-15-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What was the Q4'15 discounted pricing on the 55EF9500?
Soon after it came out (or right away) the Navy Exchange had it for $2500, but that was just for military people. Around November I could have gotten it for around $2300 or $2400 at a local video store, but would have had to wait maybe 3 weeks according to the salesperson. Then they seemed to go up later, but I wasn't following it closely after I decided to get the 9100 for $1400 as a holdover and wait for a 2016 4k model.

I think one of the biggest things affecting the 55B6 this year could be what Vizio does in this space. I know there is the quality argument, but a good P-Series 2 years after the last one could make it tougher for LG to sell lots of 55B6 units at higher prices IMO.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Soon after it came out (or right away) the Navy Exchange had it for $2500, but that was just for military people. Around November I could have gotten it for around $2300 or $2400 at a local video store, but would have had to wait maybe 3 weeks according to the salesperson. Then they seemed to go up later, but I wasn't following it closely after I decided to get the 9100 for $1400 as a holdover and wait for a 2016 4k model.
Yeah, that's about what I thought. Guaranteed that we'll see 2016 Holiday Season pricing for the 55B6 at least as low as the 2015 Holiday Season pricing we saw for the 55EF9500 (and probably lower).

Quote:
I think one of the biggest things affecting the 55B6 this year could be what Vizio does in this space. I know there is the quality argument, but a good P-Series 2 years after the last one could make it tougher for LG to sell lots of 55B6 units at higher prices IMO.

--Darin
Totally different markets/volumes.

At 65", the Vizio R65 is a reasonable proxy for comparison.

But at 55", even a new 2016 P55 supporting HDR is going to be in an entirely different (higher-volume / lower pricing) segment.

The 2014 Vizio P55 is $950 and if there is a 2016 P55 released, it is unlikely to cost much more than that, even with HDR.

It's difficult to find any high-quality FALD LED/LCDs supporting HDR at 55", so direct comparison is tough, though there are several premium edge-lit set costing $1500, so the 55B6 getting down under $2000 once LG gets serious about selling 100s of thousands of them in a single quarter seems realistic...
Old 02-15-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Totally different markets/volumes.

At 65", the Vizio R65 is a reasonable proxy for comparison.

But at 55", even a new 2016 P55 supporting HDR is going to be in an entirely different (higher-volume / lower pricing) segment.

The 2014 Vizio P55 is $950 and if there is a 2016 P55 released, it is unlikely to cost much more than that, even with HDR.
Could be, but I also think that if they put enough of the technology from the R-Series in a P-Series it could limit the number of 55B6 units LG can sell at specific price points, especially if a P-Series could go a lot brighter for HDR.

I think it would have been easy to say that Vizio wouldn't come out with a $6k 65" TV because they hadn't done it before, but they did. By the same token Vizio could aim a little higher than that last P-Series with performance closer to the R-Series. I'm guessing they were planning on amortizing that technology over a lot of units by including much of it below the R-Series.

--Darin
rogo likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 139
There are number of reports out of Korea that Samsung is preparing a significant gen 8 OLED TV production investment. The reports suggest up to 4 trillion won with a goal of entering the OLED TV market possibly as soon as late 2017 (though timing could change) and growing in 2018. The technology mentioned is white OLED with an LTPO (phosphorus oxide) backplane. We should know in the next several weeks if this becomes official.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Interesting, I wonder if LTPO compares favorably to LTPS in the realm of near-black uniformity.. LG ought to have their remaining IGZO issues worked out by then either way.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apple need to adopt OLED in their phones already. If the iPhone 7 had an OLED display it would be the full package and the perfect smartphone imo.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the Galaxy 6 pretty well...I just hate the lack of battery and SD slot. Haven't heard definitively if that's being rectified in the Galaxy 7.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I just did a search on OLED at http://www.digitimes.com/index.asp.

Here's some interesting headlines, sorry, I'm not a "member" there:
3 Feb 2016:
Digitimes Research: Konica Minolta showcases flexible OLED lighting panels at Lighting Japan 2016[Members only]
21 Jan 2016:
Samsung to provide OLED monitor panels to Dell, say reports[Members only]
14 Jan 2016:LG to reach 90% utilization for 4K OLED TV panels[Members only]
Samsung to invest US$7.4 billion in OLED displays for iPhone, says paper[Members only]
7 Jan 2016:
Samsung to finalize new investment plans for OLED TV panels[Members only]
31 Dec 2015:Korea makers prepping US$12.8 billion in OLED equipment investments for Apple, says report[Members only]
Skyworth aims to sell 200,000 OLED TVs in 2016[Members only]

If someone here is a member over at Digtimes maybe some more details can be found. The headlines are somewhat meaningful though.

Cheers,

Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

90% yields for UHD WOLED in that one headline but no timeline/frame. Someone has surely seen the article in full to give us moar.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
90% yields for UHD WOLED in that one headline but no timeline/frame. Someone has surely seen the article in full to give us moar.
In a re-post/summary of the article at http://www.osadirect.com/news/articl...led-tv-panels/, it just says sometime in 2016 and that deliveries should reach 18-20 million and that a lot of panels will go to China and Japan.

Cheers,
video_analysis likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
18-20 million TVs by 2020? They have capacity for <2 million right now, perhaps something ~3 million in 2017. Opening a new big fab in 2018 that won't be at full steam till 2019 the earliest...

The danger of re-posting old news from sources that re-posted news from sources (Digitimes) that are terrible at reporting news in the first place.
sytech likes this.

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Use oled.info for knowledge, it's a much better source than most websites regarding OLED imo.

Video ~ Pioneer PDP-LX5090 (calibrated), Chord HDMI Advance cables Audio ~ Arcam A39, KEF LS50 (Frosted Black), Bowers & Wilkins STAV24 S2 Speaker Stands, JDS Labs ODAC (RevB), Supra USB Cable (A-Mini-B), Canare 4S8 Star Quad Speaker Cable, Blue Jeans Cable LC-1
Sources ~ PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC Wishlist/Future Upgrades ~ Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier, Benchmark DAC1 USB or DAC2 HGC, iFi Mercury USB Cable, Blue Jeans Cable Series-FE HDMI Cables, Furman Elite-15 DM i or Elite-15 PF i
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Just to clarify: The headline says 90% utilization, not yield.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
I like the Galaxy 6 pretty well...I just hate the lack of battery and SD slot. Haven't heard definitively if that's being rectified in the Galaxy 7.
AFAIK -> S7

sd slot; yes
battery; no
water resistant; yes

-SiGGy
Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Getting there. I suppose making the battery user replaceable adds to the bulk and retracts from the slim, streamlined design they achieved with the G6. I'd also like a better sound-dampening mic. It clips quite a bit in comparison to, say, a Motorola Moto X that I owned previously.

Ah, thanks @sooke . Utilization is definitely important. 90% would imply they expect to sell through everything they make at high capacity this year (I guess the target is Q3/Q4 when the B6/C6 are en masse).
Old 02-19-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Quote:
As a software engineer highly appreciative of the removable SD card, after a ton of research I've finally relented and realized that a permanently affixed "SD" is not only preferable, but safer. Not going to extend the reasoning behind this here though, because it's truly a degree in software engineering worth of explanation.

Trust me, I did not go willingly into the night on this one. I was dragged kicking and screaming into this realization.

The battery thing however is still unforgivable IMO.

Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That's interesting. However, if the storage was sufficiently large enough (which the higher spec'd phones usually are), I would probably never give it a second thought (and actually don't on my G6). It's unfortunate they are still dead set on creating $1000 glass-lined silicone paperweights by not allowing battery access...I get the feeling it's almost solely for aesthetics. and the conspiracist in me says it's planned obsolescence.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting. However, if the storage was sufficiently large enough (which the higher spec'd phones usually are), I would probably never give it a second thought (and actually don't on my G6). It's unfortunate they are still dead set on creating $1000 glass-lined silicone paperweights by not allowing battery access...I get the feeling it's almost solely for aesthetics. and the conspiracist in me says it's planned obsolescence.
You can still have the battery replaced, just you have to pay someone to do it.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not something I've had to do before...it will be interesting to see to what extent they scalp for the service.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not something I've had to do before...it will be interesting to see to what extent they scalp for the service.
Or you could always be a nut job like me and try to "wing it" yourself. But view it as a fun project and not a way of saving money.

You must be very mentally prepared for a complete meltdown disaster.

Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
As a software engineer highly appreciative of the removable SD card, after a ton of research I've finally relented and realized that a permanently affixed "SD" is not only preferable, but safer. Not going to extend the reasoning behind this here though, because it's truly a degree in software engineering worth of explanation.

Trust me, I did not go willingly into the night on this one. I was dragged kicking and screaming into this realization.

The battery thing however is still unforgivable IMO.
Quote:
It's interesting how people feel about this kind of stuff.

The people that value it highly value it so highly that they think it's flat out outrageous you can't (1) add memory (2) swap batteries. But Samsung has data on how many (few) people actually do this. And when they remove those features it's not done lightly. I don't think obsolescence is an important planning factor. Batteries typically last as long as people want to keep their phones and are certainly replaceable by many shops (there's a whole cottage industry that does this, along with screen repair).

I get why people want both of those, but also that the reliability of the device goes down a lot with more orifices. And if the SD card is buried inside the battery area (as is often) then you end up dismantling the phone to swap the card or the battery. And those insides are also less protected. And, no, it's not free to add another layer of protection inside after you spend some of your "thickness budget" on an external removable cover.

Anyway, a lot of this is about engineering thin, reliable, elegant device and honestly *not* pissing off too many people when those features go away. I realize that's totally cold comfort to the Galaxy Note owner who relies on 3 batteries and 2 SD cards to make the device just like they need it to be.

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
For iPhone, the shop near me charges $30-$50 (part and labor). Apple will do it for $80-$100. They actually just give you a different phone (refurb).

The craze for thinness is rather idiotic because the first thing everybody does when they get their beautiful piece of glass and aluminum out of the box is to slap a thick plastic shell on it. This is for the most part Apple's fault. They could improve battery life but instead have chosen to keep the same 8-10 hour target and chip away at thickness.

It looks good in the ads, though.

Incidentally, I had a Samsung tablet with a broken USB port. My brother tried to replace it (part cost: $8), but inadvertently ripped off the connection to the main board. Cost to repair THAT: $125, because soldering. D'oh! Fortunately amex extended warranty covered it. Yay amex.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

A simple dollar and usage analysis for their decision only went so far with me, because as you surmised, emotionally, I was always willing to pay more for these features.

So until I understood the software reasons for this I was more than a little miffed.

Feeling Michael Corleone "dragged back in", I'll issue the following TL;DR part. And then call it quits on this.

Spoiler!

Oye. TL;DR over. I sincerely hope a very very few ventured into the above. It's all I'm going to do though.
video_analysis likes this.

Last edited by tgm1024; 02-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Guys, this is an OLED TV thread.

Please stop this OT phone discussion...

----------------------------------------------------------
Pioneer PDP 434 (bought in 2004, still wonderful and in use) Now looking for an OLED; Samsung 46ES5800 in vacation home, can't stand the LCD pic after having been spoiled by plasma :-)
Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Breakthrough for OLED inkjet printing by Samsung?

Quote:
Samsung Display is going to decide on mass-production technology for OLED panels for TVs in May. It is important to decide on a technology that can produce OLED TV panels with higher level of technology at a lower cost.
According to display industry on the 22nd, Samsung Display is currently testing a technology that combines CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) and inkjet printing device. It is going to decide on an exact technology by May after getting results from its tests.
Samsung Display is currently developing a technology that can mass-produce large OLED panels by using a method that uses organic CVD and inkjet printing method alternatively.
Quote:
Because organic material is weak against heat, its performance can be lowered or its substance can be deformed while deposition and etching processes are repeated during patterning process. Due to this reason, Samsung Display is currently examining a method that forms patterns by spraying organic material with inkjet printing method after CVD process. Because material and organic material do not tough each other during etching process, problems such as deformation of quality and others do not occur and patterns can be formed in detail.
While Samsung Display had used 5 layers by repeating CVD and inkjet printing process earlier on, it reduced layer of organic material patterning to 3 layers of CVD, inkjet, and CVD. Samsung Display is currently testing this technology by using CVD device from Applied Materials and inkjet printing device from Kateeva.
A reason why Samsung Display is mixing inkjet method with deposition process is because it wants to reduce production cost while increasing performance. Samsung Display is currently preparing for mass-production of large OLED panels by using WOLED (White OLED) method. It believes that by using WOLED method, it can greatly reduce production cost compared to LG Display, which is currently mass-producing OLED panels for TVs, and secure competitive edge in markets.
http://english.etnews.com/20160223200003
Desk. likes this.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Please stop this OT phone discussion...
Maybe they should 'text' one another?
(Probably why those toy phones should be called 'Idiot'Phones)

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Because organic material is weak against heat, its performance can be lowered or its substance can be deformed while deposition and etching processes are repeated during patterning process.
Which is why this 'tech' has a limited overall light output (the same problem has, but for a different reason which effectually limits this supposed HDR advantage?? If you get what I mean.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Texting is a drag (which I prefer to avoid) and no need to be technophobic...

The HDR advantage for OLED will always be in the low end of the brightness spectrum (and the ability to not cause blown out highlights in the form of blooming on the high end).

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-23-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung