OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 897Likes
post #13171 of 13182 Unread 07-31-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
BTW, I have to wonder: How many non-technical folks actually buy TVs based on their photoshopped crazy uber saturated Amazon photo?
The photo can only be as saturated as the monitor you're viewing it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 13182 Unread 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'd like to see their assumptions. IGZO / Oxide TFT is a more expensive process than a-Si, but cheaper than LTPS. AFAIK, Sharp is the only LCD company that has brought IGZO/Oxide TFT to mass production in high volumes. So, what exactly are they saying? Sharp's IGZO TFTs are cheaper than their a-Si in a given size? Are they including the backlight to arrive at a module cost, or glass with IC + FPC + polarizers?
Here is another link from IHS.

https://technology.ihs.com/581925/ox...et-pc-displays

Quote:
The performance benefits of oxide substrate LCD over a-Si LCD displays is well known, especially in the areas of brightness and power consumption; but this is the first time that its cost benefit has been shown to match its performance. The primacy of the oxide substrate can be primarily attributed to the minimized number of masks required in the manufacturing process and an increase in eighth-generation (Gen-8) fabrication plant (fab) availability.
I think that Samsung and LG Display were preparing to supply IGZO displays to Apple but I dont know the status of their ramp.
post #13173 of 13182 Unread 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The photo can only be as saturated as the monitor you're viewing it on.
LOL, no. While I know what you mean by that, your statement is misplaced. Any picture can have its saturation boosted past sensibility. Certainly you've seen it before. Here's a pretty good example. I don't care what monitor you're looking at it on, so long as it's working, this photo isn't going to appear right:

Thought #AUI: If the source of your political information is from internet memes or your politically like-minded friends, congratulations. You're part of the disinformation machine.
post #13174 of 13182 Unread 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

There isnt yet an English language article, but the Korean press has a couple of articles saying that LGD has raised their target for OLED unit shipments in 2017 from 1.5 million to 1.7 million.
post #13175 of 13182 Unread 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
LOL, no. While I know what you mean by that, your statement is misplaced. Any picture can have its saturation boosted past sensibility. Certainly you've seen it before. Here's a pretty good example. I don't care what monitor you're looking at it on, so long as it's working, this photo isn't going to appear right:

But it looks so pretty, so "Vivid" mode.

LG 65EF9500
LG 65E6P
post #13176 of 13182 Unread 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
There isnt yet an English language article, but the Korean press has a couple of articles saying that LGD has raised their target for OLED unit shipments in 2017 from 1.5 million to 1.7 million.
Hooray for yield?

Still feels like everything is about 2018-19 though. New fab, much more volume potential, a chance to push into somewhat lower price bands.

What's the 2016 shipment number going to be?

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
post #13177 of 13182 Unread 08-07-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Hooray for yield?

Still feels like everything is about 2018-19 though. New fab, much more volume potential, a chance to push into somewhat lower price bands.

What's the 2016 shipment number going to be?
LGD didnt give any shipment or yield numbers during their Q2 call simply saying that yields, productivity (throughput?), and shipments were up. The 2016 target is still a million units as far as I know but they didnt explictly state it during the call.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3993...pt?part=single

One interesting comment was that 65" share was up 10% QoQ.

The increase in the 2017 target is probably some combination of increased yields plus a faster ramp of the new capacity coming online with possibly some negative impact from an increase in 65" shipments. They are going to need the new fab to really push up the efficiency of manufacturing 65" units. Still no word though on the substrate size or capacity of the new fab.
rogo likes this.
post #13178 of 13182 Unread 08-07-2016, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
They must still have big yield problems if the numbers here are true:

http://m.pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?sc...2016&no=562058

34,000 sheets per month
Lets say 20,000 for 55 inch and 14,000 for 65ers.

This gives a capacity of approx. 160,000 (55/65 mix) tv panels per month. So they should be able to produce those 1.7 million p.a. already now. But last quarter (!) they just managed to produce about 210,000 (?) OLED TV panels... According to this source they only sold 144,000 panels in second quarter !??:

http://www.osadirect.com/news/articl...-140000-units/

The numbers just do not fit...
rogo and sytech like this.

----------------------------------------------------------
Pioneer PDP 434 (bought in 2004, still wonderful and in use) Now looking for an OLED; Samsung 46ES5800 in vacation home, can't stand the LCD pic after having been spoiled by plasma :-)

Last edited by joys_R_us; 08-07-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #13179 of 13182 Unread Yesterday, 04:20 AM

LG maybe to change to RGB structure in white OLED

"Reports from China suggest that LG Display is considering changing the basic structure of its white OLED panels (WOLED) used in LGD's OLED TVs. LGD is currently using yellow and blue OLED materials to create a white OLED, but now LGD may switch to an RGB based mix.

It's not clear from the Chinese reports (which are unverified yet, of course) - but it's likely that LGD will not switch to a direct-emission RGB structure, but rather use the RGB materials to create a white OLED and remain with a color-filter based design. Switching from Y/W to R/G/B may enable LGD to achieve higher color purity - and so a larger color gamut, and may also be more efficient."

Source: www.oled-info.com
ChaosCloud likes this.

Pioneer PDP 434 (bought in 2004, still wonderful and in use) Now looking for an OLED; Samsung 46ES5800 in vacation home, can't stand the LCD pic after having been spoiled by plasma :-)
post #13180 of 13182 Unread Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Not surprising. All the original designs were based on this principle.

And you may ask yourself well how did I get here?
And you may ask yourself am I right? Am I wrong?
And you may say to yourself: What have I done?!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Once you let the trolls run the bridge, you have a bridge run by trolls. I'll be back.
post #13181 of 13182 Unread Today, 12:24 AM

But I am still wondering. They had good reasons to switch to blue-yellow-blue and now they steer back !?? Are they compromising longevity for a better color gamut ?

Last edited by joys_R_us; Today at 12:31 AM.
post #13182 of 13182 Unread Today, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
But I am still wondering. They had good reasons to switch to blue-yellow-blue and now they steer back !?? Are they compromising longevity for a better color gamut ?
Seems that a while back there was some news about improvements in blue. It may be that they can improve efficiency by not doubling up with blue since its no longer needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung