OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 914Likes
post #13231 of 13237 Unread 09-24-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 291
It would seem that the OLED panel on the X1 Yoga is actually using a non-standard sub-pixel arrangement:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/co...ubpixel_array/

Therefore one of the supposed benefits of Samsung RGB OLED over LG's WOLED is not actually true.
rogo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 13237 Unread 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

In more PC-related OLED news...

Quote:
For the utilization of OLED in the medical care sector, Kwon said, “The monitor division at LG Electronics is planning to start expanding the medical monitor business, including ultra high definition medical monitors, from the end of this year."
They're obviously starting at the high-end with those medical monitors, but that still confirms the manufacturing of medium-sized UHD panels which would be necessary for professional and eventually consumer monitors.

That combined with their demonstration of HFR tells me that an LG-made 120Hz UHD OLED monitor is all but confirmed to exist at some point in the future.
post #13233 of 13237 Unread 09-28-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Sorry to always rain on your parade but...

Those medical monitors are priced in the same range as Sony's broadcast OLED monitors or even higher. They also sell in similar tiny numbers. Are you expecting Sony to also sell OLED consumer monitors soon? You need panels targeted at large volume markets before you see prices trickle down to consumer level.

HFR has nothing to do with computer monitors. They are testing HFR for IPTV streaming of sporting events. All current OLEDs already run at 120Hz but you can't feed that via HDMI due to bandwidth limitations. Doubtful LG will ever add Displayport. HFR is basically a streaming-only format for the foreseeable future.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #13234 of 13237 Unread 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Sorry to always rain on your parade but...

Those medical monitors are priced in the same range as Sony's broadcast OLED monitors or even higher. They also sell in similar tiny numbers. Are you expecting Sony to also sell OLED consumer monitors soon? You need panels targeted at large volume markets before you see prices trickle down to consumer level.
Where did I use the word "soon"?

Besides, not only did I mention professional monitors which Sony does sell along-side their broadcast monitors but I even specifically used the word "eventually" with regards to consumer-level monitors.

It's also worth mentioning that, unlike Sony, LG Display one of if not the largest manufacturer of consumer laptop & monitor-sized LCD panels. Considering that Samsung is starting to expand up-market from phones & tablets to laptops & monitors with their own OLED panels, it would be of no surprise if LG started expanding down-market with OLED to try to prevent Samsung from encroaching on their market share of laptop & monitor-sized panels.

Quote:
HFR has nothing to do with computer monitors. They are testing HFR for IPTV streaming of sporting events.
...which would still require 120Hz broadcast and/or professional monitors for, you know, monitoring.
Quote:
All current OLEDs already run at 120Hz but you can't feed that via HDMI due to bandwidth limitations.
HDMI 2.0 has the bandwidth to do UHD 120Hz 8bit at 4:2:0 and theoretically UHD 100Hz 10bit at 4:2:0. Last time I checked practically all digital video used 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.
Quote:
Doubtful LG will ever add Displayport. HFR is basically a streaming-only format for the foreseeable future.
Again, broadcast and professional monitors; 4:4:4 chroma is quite important in the PC space.
Vader1 likes this.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 09-28-2016 at 05:45 PM.
post #13235 of 13237 Unread Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Where did I use the word "soon"?

Besides, not only did I mention professional monitors which Sony does sell along-side their broadcast monitors but I even specifically used the word "eventually" with regards to consumer-level monitors.

It's also worth mentioning that, unlike Sony, LG Display one of if not the largest manufacturer of consumer laptop & monitor-sized LCD panels. Considering that Samsung is starting to expand up-market from phones & tablets to laptops & monitors with their own OLED panels, it would be of no surprise if LG started expanding down-market with OLED to try to prevent Samsung from encroaching on their market share of laptop & monitor-sized panels.

...which would still require 120Hz broadcast and/or professional monitors for, you know, monitoring. HDMI 2.0 has the bandwidth to do UHD 120Hz 8bit at 4:2:0 and theoretically UHD 100Hz 10bit at 4:2:0. Last time I checked practically all digital video used 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

Again, broadcast and professional monitors; 4:4:4 chroma is quite important in the PC space.
The case of OLED monitors for general public is weak. For professional apps there is a niche.
post #13236 of 13237 Unread Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
The case of OLED monitors for general public is weak.
By that logic... "The case of OLED laptops for general public is weak."

Yet they exist.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; Today at 12:20 PM.
post #13237 of 13237 Unread Today, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Impulse drive or PWM in new OLEDs?

I noticed in this video of the Panasonic prototype, starting about 1:20, there appears to be PWM/pulse drive artifacts captured.
Could future OLEDs be pulse driven? Or maybe just using PWM for dimming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung