OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 964Likes
post #13471 of 13476 Old 12-03-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Well, as one of the mini-legion of folks that have kept a candela (sic) burning for anything of the form "Crystal LED", I have to say that I'm overjoyed at the potential. Do you suppose that 4K was what kept it from showing up on the radar sooner?
The higher resolution does make it harder, but there are other issues where size impacts yields. The rumors expect the Apple Watch to be first and even assuming success there, I would expect it will be a while before TV's are feasible.

Here is a decent article covering some of the issues.

http://www.asahi-optics.com/news/36.html

Eye opening quote.

Quote:
“Micro-LEDs require a high yield rate of more than 99.9999%, close to 100% in fact,” said PlayNitride CEO Charles Li.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 13476 Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
The higher resolution does make it harder, but there are other issues where size impacts yields. The rumors expect the Apple Watch to be first and even assuming success there, I would expect it will be a while before TV's are feasible.

Here is a decent article covering some of the issues.

http://www.asahi-optics.com/news/36.html

Eye opening quote.
They are talking primarily about assembly-related yield onto the backplane where each failure will result in a dead pixel;

"Micro-LEDs require a high yield rate of more than 99.9999%, close to 100% in fact,” said PlayNitride CEO Charles Li.
The reason behind this especially high demand is the issue of dead-pixels."

By way of reference, LGs WOLED spec is apparently somewhere between 5 and 10 dead pixels. A 4K display contains ~8M pixels, so an assembly yield of 99.9999% corresponds 0.00001% or about 8 bad pixels .
tgm1024 likes this.
post #13473 of 13476 Old 12-03-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 443
The concept of True LED displays has been around for a long time but they've mostly been used strictly as very large billboards and theme park displays. Perhaps with a few advancments we'll see a few new proprietary LED based displays for niche things in the future, but I think it's got practically no chance of ever turning into a mainstream display technology for TV's, PC's, or mobile devices. For those devices I don't think we'll see anything besides LCD and OLED in the next 5 years. After that point if anything will come after them it's probably going to be QLED, unless somebody has some secret display tech cooking in a lab some where waiting ot be announced...
post #13474 of 13476 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
I also look forward to the longevity and uniformity measurements.

Longevity in particular is going to be interesting. I remember as a kid asking about a red LED I saw: "What happens if that 'everything's ok' light on that ancient circuit board burns out." I was told: "That thing has been shining bright for 18 years. Don't ask me why, but these things don't burn out."

No clue if this relates to now.

Thought #AYE: If you choose to buy the very brightest of TVs, are you nitpicking?
post #13475 of 13476 Old Today, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone in Canada get the HDR Game Mode firmware update yet?? Been checking a couple times a day in the update menu, nothing coming up.
post #13476 of 13476 Unread Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
SONY OLED AT CES 2017?

http://4k.com/news/rumors-spread-of-...january-17815/

We, The Unwilling, led by The Unknowing, are doing the impossible for The Ungrateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung