OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 463 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1137Likes
post #13861 of 13868 Unread 04-22-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Merck - printed red, green and blue OLED efficiencies are now comparable to vapor-processed ones

https://www.oled-info.com/merck-prin...processed-ones

"Merck is going to discuss its latest soluble OLED material performance at SID DisplayWeek 2017 next month. Merck will detail the printed device efficiencies, voltages, and colors.

According to Merck, the efficiencies of its soluble OLED emitters are now comparable to state-of-the-art vapor-processed devices. Merck will also suggest a move from an evaporated blue common layer device architecture to a printed blue."

Only time will tell if their claims are real or just vapor!
Rich Peterson and ChaosCloud like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 13868 Unread 04-24-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1809
Lifetime is actually far more important than efficiency. You can somewhat game efficiency shortfalls with larger area. But if you haven't got lifetime in the same ballpark, it doesn't matter.
greenland likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #13863 of 13868 Unread Yesterday, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 476
LG Display reported their earnings and stated that they had seen better than expected reception to their new OLED TV's. They expect sales of 300,000 units each in Q1 and Q2 and 500,000 each in Q3 and Q4. The E4 expansion (additional 26,000 Gen 8 substrates) will be completed in Q2.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/406...pt?part=single

It sounds like profitibility in OLED's was better than expected and there is at least the possibility of upside to current capacity plans though that depends on customer demand.
rogo and JasonHa like this.

post #13864 of 13868 Unread Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
They expect sales of 300,000 units each in Q1 and Q2 and 500,000 each in Q3 and Q4.
Thanks. This may be somewhere in the thread, but do we have approximate numbers for Q3 and Q4 of 2016? A large jump in volume year over year should mean lower prices, not even counting lowering prices due to what the competition does.

--Darin
post #13865 of 13868 Unread Yesterday, 04:59 PM

There is no chance in upside to consumer demand at anything resembling current prices, that's for sure. The holiday quarter is far and away the most important of the year. Last year, you could buy an OLED TV for about 30% less than you can now, when sales are slower.

I'm shocked they surprised to the upside at all, except maybe people are willing to overpay now more than LG thought for the newfangled stuff.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #13866 of 13868 Unread Yesterday, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
Thanks. This may be somewhere in the thread, but do we have approximate numbers for Q3 and Q4 of 2016? A large jump in volume year over year should mean lower prices, not even counting lowering prices due to what the competition does.

--Darin
I dont think they gave out quarterly units but I think the year was more back-end loaded. I wouldnt be surprised if they shipped 400,000 panels in Q4.
post #13867 of 13868 Unread Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
There is no chance in upside to consumer demand at anything resembling current prices, that's for sure. The holiday quarter is far and away the most important of the year. Last year, you could buy an OLED TV for about 30% less than you can now, when sales are slower.

I'm shocked they surprised to the upside at all, except maybe people are willing to overpay now more than LG thought for the newfangled stuff.
No arguments from me about pricing and despite what they said about the reception to the 2017 units, the vast majority of end market sales had to be for the 2016 models in Q1. Maybe they are getting good feedback/demand from their non-LG customers?

They kept mentioning upside and I wonder if the fab expansion ramps smoothly if we could see lower prices and more units by Q4.

At this point, I think the market would reward them if they increased capex and ramped OLED capacity faster.
post #13868 of 13868 Unread Today, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post
No arguments from me about pricing and despite what they said about the reception to the 2017 units, the vast majority of end market sales had to be for the 2016 models in Q1. Maybe they are getting good feedback/demand from their non-LG customers?
Right, I agree there were good sales of 2016 models in Q1.

I also tend to think that, yes, OEM is working well. Especially with LG pricing so high, leaving OEMs in position to make big margins even on small sales. Sony, for one, is obsessed with selling these sub 100K-unit models year after year that have high prices. Must remind them of the good old days of audio or something.
Quote:
They kept mentioning upside and I wonder if the fab expansion ramps smoothly if we could see lower prices and more units by Q4.
One can hope. As a consumer, I feel like this is the lost year.
Quote:
At this point, I think the market would reward them if they increased capex and ramped OLED capacity faster.
Yes, because it would be a stronger indication that OLED is the future in TV. Right now, with Samsung arguing otherwise, it's still not full apparent to Mr. Market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Oled Tv , oled wireless speakers , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung