OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 465 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1150Likes

post #13921 of 13929 Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
are you high?
Whenever I watch the news I wish I were high !

Coming back to the topic, I am quite sure that LGD will introduce a new panel/pixel architecture with other oled stacks (probably rgb) and reversed tft connections and bigger pixel area. Maybe even quantum dots in the filters; all resulting in higher brightness and better colour gamut...

If it will result in better panels from the start on remaines to be seen as LGD is not only trying to improve the panel quality but also to decrease the costs. So that people waiting for next years oleds may be burned (at least at the beginning until early problems with the new panels get solved).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13922 of 13929 Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I know your joking but I was being serious.
D-nice hinted at big changes for next year, just wondering if there was any info yet.
Aside HFR and HDMI 2.1, from what I read it looks like LG will reshape the pixel structure. Until now all their panels are optimized for passive 3D with the FPR polarizer that requires large vertical spacing between the pixels to maintain the 3D effect. This result in smaller pixels area = lower brightness.

3D passive FPR panel

In the images below you can see in practice what I said. The OLED LG has large spaces between pixels, while Samsung OLED , which also had 3D but was active and non-passive FPR, the pixel area is much larger.

LG OLED 65W7V

Samsung OLED TV

If so, I expect a great improvement in brightness that will result in a more correct HDR presentation in the higher spectrum of the brightness, perhaps finally LG implement the BFI (they have not yet put it because of the great drop in brightness, that's what I read ) that should improve motion resolution. Let's hope it's true.
mnc likes this.
post #13923 of 13929 Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
LG Display to Produce LCD Panels at 10.5G Plant

LG Display decided to produce LCD panels in its 10.5G plant (P10) which it is now building in Paju in the northwest of Gyeonggi Province for completion by the latter half of next year. The P10 will launch LCD panel mass-production from late 2018.

LG Display originally reviewed the idea of producing OLED panels there but changed its mind towards LCD panel production based on judgment that the size of the OLED TV market would not expand as fast as expected before.

http://english.hankyung.com/it/2017/...-at-105g-plant

Seemingly the margins in the LCD market are higher and safer. But it reminds me of the saying: "Don't beat a dead horse"...

Very shortsided decision.

EDIT:

"It is likely (and even hinted by LG before) that the P10 will produce both LCDs and OLEDs, and not just LCDs as this new report suggests."

https://www.oled-info.com/report-kor...coming-p10-fab

Last edited by joys_R_us; 05-22-2017 at 07:52 AM.

post #13924 of 13929 Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 519
As someone who keeps their purchases for a long time, I wonder if I'd be better off waiting until next year to buy an OLED?
I know you can make that argument for every product every year but I really wonder if next years will be substantially better?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
post #13925 of 13929 Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
LG Display to Produce LCD Panels at 10.5G Plant

LG Display decided to produce LCD panels in its 10.5G plant (P10) which it is now building in Paju in the northwest of Gyeonggi Province for completion by the latter half of next year. The P10 will launch LCD panel mass-production from late 2018.

LG Display originally reviewed the idea of producing OLED panels there but changed its mind towards LCD panel production based on judgment that the size of the OLED TV market would not expand as fast as expected before.

http://english.hankyung.com/it/2017/...-at-105g-plant

Seemingly the margins in the LCD market are higher and safer. But it reminds me of the saying: "Don't beat a dead horse"...

Very shortsided decision.

EDIT:

"It is likely (and even hinted by LG before) that the P10 will produce both LCDs and OLEDs, and not just LCDs as this new report suggests."

https://www.oled-info.com/report-kor...coming-p10-fab
Very dissapointing (and an indication that OLED TV pricing is going to drop more slowly than many are hoping).

On the other hand, the uncertainty about P10 substrate size is gone - Looks as LG is going to be following in BOE's footsteps (75" & 65"):

"Sources close to the situation said on May 21, "LG Display selected 75-inch LCD TV panels as initial products for the soon-to-be-established plant. To secure the supply of glass substrates needed for the production of 10.5G LCD panels, LG Display recently started negotiations with related companies such as NEG and PEG."
post #13926 of 13929 Old 05-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
As someone who keeps their purchases for a long time, I wonder if I'd be better off waiting until next year to buy an OLED?
I know you can make that argument for every product every year but I really wonder if next years will be substantially better?
You know I'm in the same situation as you but i say this and i must decide soon.
If i want 3d the time is passing and soon enouph there will be no more e6 lg in the market but if i decide that i don't want 3d then for sure i can wait next year because maybe we will see hdmi 2.1.

Thats my dilemma.
post #13927 of 13929 Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Very dissapointing (and an indication that OLED TV pricing is going to drop more slowly than many are hoping).
100% certain.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #13928 of 13929 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
You know I'm in the same situation as you but i say this and i must decide soon.
If i want 3d the time is passing and soon enouph there will be no more e6 lg in the market but if i decide that i don't want 3d then for sure i can wait next year because maybe we will see hdmi 2.1.

Thats my dilemma.
I will not take HDMI 2.1 as a reality until 48 gbps cables exist and are certified by a reliable tester. I think the cables are a technological hurdle which may require a new port configuration and a fiber optical solution.

So, I would not wait for HDMI 2.1 but other may want features that do not require 48 gbps and of course everyone is free to spend his or her money and predict the future.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #13929 of 13929 Old Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 477
FWIW, there were dualing rumors from Korea about what LGD was going to do with their P10 fab.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/engli...roduction-base

Quote:
A senior official from a LG Group affiliate said on May 22, “The P10 Plant in Paju is set to focus on OLED production, and we are now in the final talks over the exact percentage of OLED production. However, LG Display can decide on whether it will stick to the initial plan or an alternative plan, which produces some LCD products first and then moves to OLEDs, considering the market situations in the second half of the year as the company has the technical ability to produce OLEDs at the LCD production facilities.” In this regard, LG Display presented its clear vision through its company intranet that it will introduce the production lines of both mobile POLEDs and large OLEDs in the P10 factory in Paju. The company has decided to make its bid by targeting the OLED market, instead of the LCD which is becoming the red ocean industry.
LGD has been saying that they will make the decision by June so we should know fairly soon. It would be hard to square their rhetoric around OLED's with building a Gen 10 LCD fab but who knows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Oled Tv , oled wireless speakers , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung