OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 465 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1150Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13921 of 13927 Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
are you high?
Whenever I watch the news I wish I were high !

Coming back to the topic, I am quite sure that LGD will introduce a new panel/pixel architecture with other oled stacks (probably rgb) and reversed tft connections and bigger pixel area. Maybe even quantum dots in the filters; all resulting in higher brightness and better colour gamut...

If it will result in better panels from the start on remaines to be seen as LGD is not only trying to improve the panel quality but also to decrease the costs. So that people waiting for next years oleds may be burned (at least at the beginning until early problems with the new panels get solved).
joys_R_us is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13922 of 13927 Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
I know your joking but I was being serious.
D-nice hinted at big changes for next year, just wondering if there was any info yet.
Aside HFR and HDMI 2.1, from what I read it looks like LG will reshape the pixel structure. Until now all their panels are optimized for passive 3D with the FPR polarizer that requires large vertical spacing between the pixels to maintain the 3D effect. This result in smaller pixels area = lower brightness.

3D passive FPR panel


In the images below you can see in practice what I said. The OLED LG has large spaces between pixels, while Samsung OLED , which also had 3D but was active and non-passive FPR, the pixel area is much larger.

LG OLED 65W7V


Samsung OLED TV


If so, I expect a great improvement in brightness that will result in a more correct HDR presentation in the higher spectrum of the brightness, perhaps finally LG implement the BFI (they have not yet put it because of the great drop in brightness, that's what I read ) that should improve motion resolution. Let's hope it's true.
mnc likes this.
dvrw3 is offline  
post #13923 of 13927 Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
joys_R_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Berlin - Germany
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
LG Display to Produce LCD Panels at 10.5G Plant

LG Display decided to produce LCD panels in its 10.5G plant (P10) which it is now building in Paju in the northwest of Gyeonggi Province for completion by the latter half of next year. The P10 will launch LCD panel mass-production from late 2018.

LG Display originally reviewed the idea of producing OLED panels there but changed its mind towards LCD panel production based on judgment that the size of the OLED TV market would not expand as fast as expected before.

http://english.hankyung.com/it/2017/...-at-105g-plant

Seemingly the margins in the LCD market are higher and safer. But it reminds me of the saying: "Don't beat a dead horse"...

Very shortsided decision.

EDIT:

"It is likely (and even hinted by LG before) that the P10 will produce both LCDs and OLEDs, and not just LCDs as this new report suggests."

https://www.oled-info.com/report-kor...coming-p10-fab

Last edited by joys_R_us; Yesterday at 07:52 AM.
joys_R_us is offline  
 
post #13924 of 13927 Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 519
As someone who keeps their purchases for a long time, I wonder if I'd be better off waiting until next year to buy an OLED?
I know you can make that argument for every product every year but I really wonder if next years will be substantially better?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50, DUAL PSA XS30SE's
mnc is offline  
post #13925 of 13927 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by joys_R_us View Post
LG Display to Produce LCD Panels at 10.5G Plant

LG Display decided to produce LCD panels in its 10.5G plant (P10) which it is now building in Paju in the northwest of Gyeonggi Province for completion by the latter half of next year. The P10 will launch LCD panel mass-production from late 2018.

LG Display originally reviewed the idea of producing OLED panels there but changed its mind towards LCD panel production based on judgment that the size of the OLED TV market would not expand as fast as expected before.

http://english.hankyung.com/it/2017/...-at-105g-plant

Seemingly the margins in the LCD market are higher and safer. But it reminds me of the saying: "Don't beat a dead horse"...

Very shortsided decision.

EDIT:

"It is likely (and even hinted by LG before) that the P10 will produce both LCDs and OLEDs, and not just LCDs as this new report suggests."

https://www.oled-info.com/report-kor...coming-p10-fab
Very dissapointing (and an indication that OLED TV pricing is going to drop more slowly than many are hoping).

On the other hand, the uncertainty about P10 substrate size is gone - Looks as LG is going to be following in BOE's footsteps (75" & 65"):

"Sources close to the situation said on May 21, "LG Display selected 75-inch LCD TV panels as initial products for the soon-to-be-established plant. To secure the supply of glass substrates needed for the production of 10.5G LCD panels, LG Display recently started negotiations with related companies such as NEG and PEG."
fafrd is offline  
post #13926 of 13927 Old Today, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
BlueChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
As someone who keeps their purchases for a long time, I wonder if I'd be better off waiting until next year to buy an OLED?
I know you can make that argument for every product every year but I really wonder if next years will be substantially better?
You know I'm in the same situation as you but i say this and i must decide soon.
If i want 3d the time is passing and soon enouph there will be no more e6 lg in the market but if i decide that i don't want 3d then for sure i can wait next year because maybe we will see hdmi 2.1.

Thats my dilemma.
BlueChris is offline  
post #13927 of 13927 Old Today, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 31,809
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Very dissapointing (and an indication that OLED TV pricing is going to drop more slowly than many are hoping).
100% certain.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
rogo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lg , Oled Tv , oled wireless speakers , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off