VGA to DVI cable not displaying picture (Noob Question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I needed the vga port on my lcd for my xbox 360, so I bought a vga to dvi cable to connect the pc through the dvi port. The vga cable (vga to vga) works fine, but the vga to dvi cable does not show anything. Do I need to change the settings on the pc or display? Any ideas why it would not show up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure what the cause is but I thought in my case it might be lenth of my cable. I bought a DVI->VGA 25' cable from monoprice and couldn't get a picture on my Sony 32s2000. I then bought a 10' VGA->VGA and used the DVI adapter that came with my PNY 6600GT and it worked fine. I read somewhere that HDTV's sometimes are picky about lenth. Alternately, it could be a bad cable.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknotkid
I needed the vga port on my lcd for my xbox 360, so I bought a vga to dvi cable to connect the pc through the dvi port. The vga cable (vga to vga) works fine, but the vga to dvi cable does not show anything. Do I need to change the settings on the pc or display? Any ideas why it would not show up?
In order for a VGA to DVI cable to work the DVI end needs to be DVI-I. The cable uses the analog side of the DVI. Evidently the DVI port you're using is DVI-D only.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Which TV do you have? as martyj19 said, it could be that the TV's DVI only accepts digital portion of DVI. However, Sharp's LCD for example has a setting in the TV's menu where you can change the setting for "Digital PC" for DVI digital signal or "Analog PC" to set DVI to accept analog (VGA) signal.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

My tv is a 27" Syntax Olevia lcd. The plug in is a DVI-I Dual Link, it has three rows of 8 pins, and 2 contacts above and below the flat blade, so it is supposed to be analog and digital. The cable is made exactly the same way.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to check your TV manual for the exact capability of the DVI port. It is standard practice for manufacturers to use a DVI-I dual link connector even if the port does not support DVI-A or dual link. This is done so that any cable can be used.

As the previous poster pointed out, there may be a menu choice you need to set. I should have mentioned this possibility in my earlier post.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I checked my user manual, and my port is dvi/hdcp. It says that it receives analog or digital video signals from equipment with dvi output that features the HDCP function. So does this mean that if my pc does not have the HDCP function that it will not display the video signal?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

HDCP is not the issue.
Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page