HDTV Closed Captioning - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a hearing impaired viewer, I rely on closed-captioning to follow television programs. I currently have a 2002 flat-tube Phillips TV. While like most TVs it is closed-captioned, it does not have closed captioning in it's HD input.

I'm able to use the captioning in my HD Cable box, but this is not an ideal solution as it means that DVDs and other inputs remain uncaptioned (note that captioning and DVD subtitles are not the same thing; in addition many DVDs are closed captioned but not subtitled).

At first, I assumed that this problem was unique to my TV. I was planning to buy a new 1080p HDTV, but I can't find any manufacturers that offer built-in captioning in the HD inputs.

Is there anything that can be done or people that can be contacted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM

Which input are you using? Do you mean the HDMI input? You might wanna try using the Component input. That should do the trick.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta
Which input are you using? Do you mean the HDMI input? You might wanna try using the Component input. That should do the trick.
I am using the component input. There's no built-in HD TV captioning. I even tried it on the Best Buy floor model of the new Sony Bravia and it didn't seem to work there either.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The captioning has to be interpreted in the cable box, which is where the signal is being tuned and decoded in this scenario, since there's no defined way to pass it over to the display. The only way the display would get involved in it is if you were using the display's tuner.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM

I'm actually wondering about this, too. Because I watched a Panasonic 42" Plasma at my friend's house, and the captioning DID work on the component input, BUT I didn't try it on an HD channel. Are you saying that it will work on a SD channel, but for HD, you'd have to do it through the source?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
The captioning has to be interpreted in the cable box, which is where the signal is being tuned and decoded in this scenario, since there's no defined way to pass it over to the display. The only way the display would get involved in it is if you were using the display's tuner.
Why is this only true in HD mode? If the TV can't pull captions, that means that I would never be able to watch closed captioned DVDs in HD. There are plenty of DVDs that are captioned but not subtitled...
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 PM

My Samsung 5053 only can do native CC in component, not via HDMI. Once in HDMI, I have to use my Dish Network ViP622 receiver's own CC to get CC displayed, and it doesn't seem to work on many HD contents (maybe these HD contents just doesn't have CC broacasted, I am not sure), no issue with SD CC though. I'm new to my plasma as well as HD in general (just got everything hooked up last week).